Rock Rails, What the hey? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

#1 Old 06-08-2012, 01:03 PM
HS-LD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rock Rails, What the hey?

So I hate to bring this up...

Why no Rock Rails for the PW? Or am I just not looking in the right places?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Yellomantis
Cali Wagon Wheeler

Rock Slide Engineering is in the process right now of finalizing sliders for the 4th gen wagons.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you're a mile away, and you have their shoes!

#3 Old 06-08-2012, 04:44 PM
coder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS-LD View Post
So I hate to bring this up...

Why no Rock Rails for the PW? Or am I just not looking in the right places?

When the PW was first reintroduced in 2005 they were offered as a Mopar accessory, but because of low sales they were discontinued in 2007.

2007 Quad Cab Power Wagon
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils | Carli Control Arms | Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops | Carli Stainless Steel Damper | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Toyo ATII's 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Redhead Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: EBC Front Slotted Dimpled Rotors | Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | DieHard Platinum Battery G65 | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass
#4 Old 06-08-2012, 08:28 PM
HS-LD

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellomantis View Post
Rock Slide Engineering is in the process right now of finalizing sliders for the 4th gen wagons.
Cool! Thanks!
#5 Old 06-08-2012, 08:30 PM
HS-LD

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coder View Post
When the PW was first reintroduced in 2005 they were offered as a Mopar accessory, but because of low sales they were discontinued in 2007.
Kinda should been on the truck from day one, but Dodge still thinks of it as a 2500 with option package P29 or some such nonsense.

Oh well. Thanks!
#6 Old 06-12-2012, 08:01 AM
MiamiDave

I am interested too.

MD Quote: "A Power Wagon is never stuck, just occasionally, and briefly, stopped."
2011 Silver PW, red stripe delete and rear PW sticker option (by me), Diamondback Heavy Duty bed cover, Carli front diff protector/Purple Cranium full Spider Guard real diff protector, 315/70 Goodyear Duratracs all around (including spare in stock location)

#7 Old 06-12-2012, 08:12 AM
Hilldweller
Overlanding Enthusiast

Everyone that really uses the truck wants them... ...but how much are we willing to pay?

If Mother Ram loved us they'd have them standard along with a real bumper, provision for driving lights, and a rear bumper with a swing-out tire mount.
And we'd have 35s stock and be able to fit 37s without mods.
Thats love...
#8 Old 06-12-2012, 03:10 PM
04Ram2500Hemi
Same Name, Different Game

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
Everyone that really uses the truck wants them... ...but how much are we willing to pay?

If Mother Ram loved us they'd have them standard along with a real bumper, provision for driving lights, and a rear bumper with a swing-out tire mount.
And we'd have 35s stock and be able to fit 37s without mods.
Thats love...
You my friend should have been in the design room while the Power Wagon was being built. While you were there you could have got us lockers that actually lock without any kind of magic.

2012 Ram Power Wagon
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, LED Lights Mounted in the Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill

Gone But Never Forgotten!
2004 Ram 2500 4X4 SLT Quad Cab Hemi Silver Metallic, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Westin Nerf Bars Sprayed with Line-X, Bushwacker Extend A Fender Sprayed with Line-X, Rhino Lining in the Bed and Over the Rails, Truxedo Low Profile Tonneau Cover, Hell 500's Behind the Grill, Warn Front Receiver, KC Backup Lights, Custom Mounted Bumper Backup Lights, V-7 V Force Muffler, Auto Meter Transmission Temperature Gauge, SRT-10 Pillar Grab Handle, Kore Recon Suspension System, Kore Race Steering Damper, Kore Chase Control Arms, Kore Coil Spring Isolator, Kore End Links, 35x12.50 Mud Terrain SXT Tires, SRT-10 Hood, AEM Brute Force Intake, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Smoked Recon Cab Lights, Tuff Stuff 12,500 Pound Multi Point Winch
#9 Old 06-12-2012, 06:32 PM
Yellomantis
Cali Wagon Wheeler

The last time I talked to RSE, they said the rails should be in the $700-800 price range.

That way, when you do criticize them, you're a mile away, and you have their shoes!

#10 Old 06-12-2012, 11:37 PM
HS-LD

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
The last time I talked to RSE, they said the rails should be in the $700-800 price range.
I'd be up for that if they had an integrated step so the Missus would stop bitchin...
#11 Old 06-12-2012, 11:51 PM
Yellomantis
Cali Wagon Wheeler

An integrated step would kinda defeat the purpose of rock rail/sliders... They're meant to protect the bottom of the cab AND allow the vehicle to "slide" off the rock/obstruction. If there was a step, it would end up hanging up the truck and get stuck.

#12 Old 06-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Blondieoffroad

I am looking for these as well can you post more information? If you have it?
#13 Old 06-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Hilldweller
Overlanding Enthusiast

Quote:
An integrated step would kinda defeat the purpose of rock rail/sliders... They're meant to protect the bottom of the cab AND allow the vehicle to "slide" off the rock/obstruction. If there was a step, it would end up hanging up the truck and get stuck.
I'll take a little nub sticking out a little more to the side --- good for the wife to scamper up and also good for nudging trees away from my door handle.

And while we're at it, there's no real "Jesus handle" in the truck for my wife to hang on when I'm rocking the boat or on some stupid angle. The Jeep had a rollbar and I strapped an Jesus handle to it but the thing in the PW is useless for that...
#14 Old 06-13-2012, 02:38 PM
WYwagon

Just e-mailed them and got this reply:

Hi,

Yes we just released the product today!! I have attached some pictures of the installed product for you to see.

As for your questions.

Price: 899.00

Rock Slider? Yes they are a true rock slider and can support weight. We are now working on integrating a step into them just like we have done on the 4Door JK, but right now they are just sliders.

Material: They are made out of 3/16" steel and weigh 120 a set.

Rhino Lined: Yes you can get them Rhino lined. I can sell them bare steel to you or they come powder coated black wrinkle finish.

Install? I can Install them for you. 3.5 hour install 262.50.

Thanks for your interest in our product!
--
Shaundi Eames
Sales/Marketing

www.rockslideengineering.com
Rock-Slide Engineering
2561 North 200 West
North Logan, Utah 84341
P: 435-752-4580
F: 435-752-4366

I am not sure how I feel about these. I like how they look and the amount of clearance they have. They don't look like they attach to the frame, so how much weight could they really hold??? Doesn't look like it would work for a step and I don't really want to get one with a motorized step like the one she referred to (costing double plus adding more things to go wrong). What do you guys think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GetAttachment.aspx.jpg (13.7 KB, 436 views)
File Type: jpg GetAttachment.aspx2.jpg (12.3 KB, 428 views)
File Type: jpg GetAttachment.aspx3.jpg (10.5 KB, 424 views)
File Type: jpg GetAttachment.aspx4.jpg (12.4 KB, 424 views)
File Type: jpg GetAttachment.aspx5.jpg (10.6 KB, 426 views)
File Type: jpg GetAttachment.aspx6.jpg (8.8 KB, 422 views)
File Type: jpg GetAttachment.aspx7.jpg (8.5 KB, 424 views)
File Type: jpg GetAttachment.aspx8.jpg (11.0 KB, 424 views)
File Type: jpg GetAttachment.aspx9.jpg (7.3 KB, 427 views)
#15 Old 06-13-2012, 02:46 PM
04Ram2500Hemi
Same Name, Different Game

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I said it in the other thread but they don't look like they are long enough to me. Shouldn't they go all the way to the rear tire?

2012 Ram Power Wagon
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, LED Lights Mounted in the Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill

Gone But Never Forgotten!
2004 Ram 2500 4X4 SLT Quad Cab Hemi Silver Metallic, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Westin Nerf Bars Sprayed with Line-X, Bushwacker Extend A Fender Sprayed with Line-X, Rhino Lining in the Bed and Over the Rails, Truxedo Low Profile Tonneau Cover, Hell 500's Behind the Grill, Warn Front Receiver, KC Backup Lights, Custom Mounted Bumper Backup Lights, V-7 V Force Muffler, Auto Meter Transmission Temperature Gauge, SRT-10 Pillar Grab Handle, Kore Recon Suspension System, Kore Race Steering Damper, Kore Chase Control Arms, Kore Coil Spring Isolator, Kore End Links, 35x12.50 Mud Terrain SXT Tires, SRT-10 Hood, AEM Brute Force Intake, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Smoked Recon Cab Lights, Tuff Stuff 12,500 Pound Multi Point Winch
#16 Old 06-13-2012, 05:24 PM
MSCH2112
Bushwacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS-LD View Post
I'd be up for that if they had an integrated step so the Missus would stop bitchin...
i gave in to the wifeey this time. AMP boards are now installed. they tuck under and up very nice though.

yes, rock rails should go to the rear fender opening. stupid stupid stupid.

mike

2012 Power Wagon LARAMIE Pkg. w/ 12k Warn winch, Nav, Sunroof, Leer Topper, AMP boards, Spray on-bedliner-rockers-flares

Support Search and Rescue-GET LOST

High-Lift Jack w/ lots of tow ropes and winch tools
2009 Victory Jackpot Cory Ness Edition!
SOLD 2005 Power Wagon Quad w/ 12k Warn winch, loaded incl. leather, rockrails, nav, sunroof, 9.5 ti Warn winch in the rear, Gibson Headers and catback, Pace-Edwards full metal elec. bed cover and elec. tailgate lock, PIAA driving lights behind grill.
#17 Old 06-13-2012, 06:44 PM
2012 PW ST
CB

Those RSE "sliders" look like a complete joke!

IMO, you cannot have a true slider unless it's attached to the frame (preferably by welding).

These are 60 lb a side and just bolt to the body!?! One hit on these and they'll cave the body up since they're more stout than the sheet metal they're attached to. Not going to be pretty.

Not to mention how tight these fit up to the body...natural moisture/salt/grime trap. They should know better in Utah as we use hideous amounts of salt on the roads here.

I could go on...and, yes they should certainly go all the way to the back fender.

I just ordered a custom set of DOM tubular weld on sliders from Armorology in Colorado Springs. Materials ordered now, but produced & installed late August. (Yes, you need to get in line for craftsmanship like this.)

They'll be 48-50 lb. per side. Inner/main tube will be 2" .188 (3/16") wall, and outer will be 1.75" .120 wall. Welded to frame with 2" x 3" box steel mounts. Going to be amazing and worth the wait.

They're also about 50% more though than RSE's, all powdercoated & installed.

2012 Power Wagon ST
"Born at the junction of form & function"
Carli suspension/steering/Bilstein 5100s|Ranch Hand bumpers/headache rack/rails|Factory spray in bedliner|35/12.5/17 BFG KM2s on factory alloys|Lightforce 240 Blitz HIDs|"chassis cab auxiliary switch bank mod"|Highway Products toolbox|Cobra 75 CB|PROUD AMERICAN FLAG
#18 Old 06-14-2012, 08:49 AM
WYwagon

2012 PW ST-

Any pics of these rock rails you are getting made, or are they a custom first time job for this company? You said about 50% more than the RSE, so we are looking about $1500 right? Will they work as a step as well? I am in WY so I am definitely interested in this option as I could avoid shipping costs. Please post pics as you get them!
#19 Old 06-14-2012, 09:03 AM
2012 PW ST
CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYwagon View Post
2012 PW ST-

Any pics of these rock rails you are getting made, or are they a custom first time job for this company? You said about 50% more than the RSE, so we are looking about $1500 right? Will they work as a step as well? I am in WY so I am definitely interested in this option as I could avoid shipping costs. Please post pics as you get them!
No pics yet...won't have any until they're in production late August. Just imagine a pretty traditional double tube slider that will function as a low profile/out of the way step as well. Inner main tube with an outer hoop connected to main tube at each end with little "stringers" in between.

Just Google Armorology to see their work. These are a typical design for them. Their welds & attention to detail are second to none IMO.

They'll be a little north of $1700 all done. You'd have to be willing to drive down to get them ordered and then back down for a few days when it comes time to produce & install.

They just made me a cool, but very simple fire extinguisher bracket for my drivers seat too. I'll post pics later. Came out great.

I'm actually passing through Laramie today heading back to SLC. I'll give you a wave.

2012 Power Wagon ST
"Born at the junction of form & function"
Carli suspension/steering/Bilstein 5100s|Ranch Hand bumpers/headache rack/rails|Factory spray in bedliner|35/12.5/17 BFG KM2s on factory alloys|Lightforce 240 Blitz HIDs|"chassis cab auxiliary switch bank mod"|Highway Products toolbox|Cobra 75 CB|PROUD AMERICAN FLAG
#20 Old 06-14-2012, 11:59 AM
Ramjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 PW ST View Post
Those RSE "sliders" look like a complete joke!

IMO, you cannot have a true slider unless it's attached to the frame (preferably by welding).

These are 60 lb a side and just bolt to the body!?! One hit on these and they'll cave the body up since they're more stout than the sheet metal they're attached to. Not going to be pretty.

Not to mention how tight these fit up to the body...natural moisture/salt/grime trap. They should know better in Utah as we use hideous amounts of salt on the roads here.

I could go on...and, yes they should certainly go all the way to the back fender.

I just ordered a custom set of DOM tubular weld on sliders from Armorology in Colorado Springs. Materials ordered now, but produced & installed late August. (Yes, you need to get in line for craftsmanship like this.)

They'll be 48-50 lb. per side. Inner/main tube will be 2" .188 (3/16") wall, and outer will be 1.75" .120 wall. Welded to frame with 2" x 3" box steel mounts. Going to be amazing and worth the wait.

They're also about 50% more though than RSE's, all powdercoated & installed.
I agree, I was surprised they were not bolted to the frame. They don't look very sturdy either.

2011 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 5.7, Bright White--- Ram Box, Spray in bed liner, Trailer brake controller, Tow Mirrors. (factory), Smitty Bilt SS Step bars, Husky Mud Guards, Mufflex DOD14M, AFE Full Metal Power CAI, Billet Technologies Catch Can, Vision Warrior 375 17in wheels w\ Nitto Terra Grapplers, Daystar 2.5 in Lift front and rear.

Moscow Lodge #504 PA
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.