body control module questions - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 05-29-2012, 09:45 AM
james832

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
body control module questions

On my 2002 caravan, the turn signals have quit but the turn signal lights on the insterment panel work. all lights and fuses and switches have been checked. A mechanic traced it down to the body control module. I was told that a used module must have the same part number and be reprogramed to work properly. If I install a used module with the same part number and same options, will the van start and run until I vsn get it reprogramed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-02-2012, 10:45 AM
stupendousman

If you obtain a replacement computer from the wrecking yard or used elsewhere, it must be from the same make and model of vehicle, with the same engine.
Once you have it, it will need to be reprogrammed for your particular vehicle by someone who has a tool to do so. This will almost certainly be the dealership. When I did this, it cost me 18 bucks for a used computer, but 120 for the program. The key for the vehicle has a chip inside it that the computer reads and determines if it is the correct key for the vehicle. If not, once you start it, it will shut off after a few seconds. After three tries, it won't even turn over. The reprogramming fixes this too and makes the new computer work with your keys.
#3 Old 06-03-2012, 04:09 PM
no_common_sense

Are you sure it's not just the combo flasher under the dash? It looks like a really long relay with 9 pins on it and it's got a logic chip inside it. It goes for about 35 bucks on rockauto.com. You can do a part number search for EFL15 or 1R2187 for the two brands they're offering.

No matter how much technology changes, there still isn't much that can't be solved with the sensible and practical application of a bigger hammer.
#4 Old 06-04-2012, 06:01 PM
james832

(Thread Starter)
My van does not have the security option, does mean that it will run until I get it reprogramed?
#5 Old 06-04-2012, 06:07 PM
james832

(Thread Starter)
Will have to check out the combo flasher.
#6 Old 06-06-2012, 11:54 AM
james832

(Thread Starter)
common sense= are you sure the flasher is under the dash I was told it was in the left rear quarter panel.
#7 Old 06-06-2012, 06:22 PM
no_common_sense

I don't know for sure, I've worked on a 96 and a 97 in the recent past. Both had their flasher under the dash. Just have a look for yourself. Go down and just left of the steering wheel and that's where a fuse and relay block should be. Like I said before, it looks like an oversize relay. About twice as tall as a normal relay with 9 pins on it.

No matter how much technology changes, there still isn't much that can't be solved with the sensible and practical application of a bigger hammer.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.