body control module questions - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP DODGETALK MERCHANDISE ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Vehicle Forums > Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan Talk > Dodge Caravan General Talk

Closed Thread

james832

body control module questions - Posted: 05-29-2012, 09:45 AM
State: MO
Post #1

On my 2002 caravan, the turn signals have quit but the turn signal lights on the insterment panel work. all lights and fuses and switches have been checked. A mechanic traced it down to the body control module. I was told that a used module must have the same part number and be reprogramed to work properly. If I install a used module with the same part number and same options, will the van start and run until I vsn get it reprogramed?
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

stupendousman

Posted: 06-02-2012, 10:45 AM
State: QC
Post #2

If you obtain a replacement computer from the wrecking yard or used elsewhere, it must be from the same make and model of vehicle, with the same engine.
Once you have it, it will need to be reprogrammed for your particular vehicle by someone who has a tool to do so. This will almost certainly be the dealership. When I did this, it cost me 18 bucks for a used computer, but 120 for the program. The key for the vehicle has a chip inside it that the computer reads and determines if it is the correct key for the vehicle. If not, once you start it, it will shut off after a few seconds. After three tries, it won't even turn over. The reprogramming fixes this too and makes the new computer work with your keys.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

no_common_sense

Posted: 06-03-2012, 04:09 PM
State: WI
Post #3

Are you sure it's not just the combo flasher under the dash? It looks like a really long relay with 9 pins on it and it's got a logic chip inside it. It goes for about 35 bucks on rockauto.com. You can do a part number search for EFL15 or 1R2187 for the two brands they're offering.

james832

Posted: 06-04-2012, 06:01 PM
Post #4

My van does not have the security option, does mean that it will run until I get it reprogramed?

james832

Posted: 06-04-2012, 06:07 PM
Post #5

Will have to check out the combo flasher.

james832

Posted: 06-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Post #6

common sense= are you sure the flasher is under the dash I was told it was in the left rear quarter panel.

no_common_sense

Posted: 06-06-2012, 06:22 PM
State: WI
Post #7

I don't know for sure, I've worked on a 96 and a 97 in the recent past. Both had their flasher under the dash. Just have a look for yourself. Go down and just left of the steering wheel and that's where a fuse and relay block should be. Like I said before, it looks like an oversize relay. About twice as tall as a normal relay with 9 pins on it.