A/C Actuator Problem - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 05-20-2012, 01:26 PM
knuck45

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
A/C Actuator Problem

New to the forum, looks like a great place.

I've been having A/C problems related to temperature control in my 99 Ram 1500. I took my truck to the Dodge dealer and they diagnosed it as "Needs dash rolled - Actuator Defective" at an estimated cost of $985.00.

I have read all the informative threads here about the blend door actuator fix on the lower left passenger side, and the fix does not appear to be that much work, and it can be done without rolling the dash.

Is there a second actuator/door somewhere else in the a/c system that is more difficult to get at, like behind the radio?

Either way I don't feel like paying that much dough, i'm going to do the work myself.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-21-2012, 09:22 PM
johnnyjaws
johnnyjaws

Stay away from dealer ships theyll rape you i mean it!! do it your self or go to a local repair shop

98 ram 318 4x4 base model , extended cab , air horn mod ,kegger mod , plenum fix , trans bands adjusted , check valve deleit , front bully bar with dick kript lights , side nerf bars , tonneau cover , extra back up lights under bumper , bed liner , and window vents , side window covers oval, power sterring cooler , trans cooler , complete new frontend and steering box , 4 new gabral ultma gas shocks , new steering box stablizer, and rock solid steering shaft bushing , sliding rear window , 4inch body lift ,13x3 air filter , magnaflow catback duals with stainless tips , new brakes on front and back new rear wheel bearings and seals and rear drums , new used rust and dent free bed
#3 Old 05-21-2012, 11:18 PM
chris747

what kind of problems are you having??

i just replaced my blend door actuator a couple weeks ago... cost $130 and took like 5 min.
#4 Old 05-23-2012, 04:08 PM
knuck45

(Thread Starter)
First, thanks for the replies.

A few months ago I turned the a/c on and it would run cool for a short time then it would get hot. When I would turn the temp selection to cold the air was always heated, even if it was air from the outside vent. Basically the heater would stay on for a day or two blowing hot air even with the temp switch at the coldest position. After a few days the vent air would be the same temp as the outside air, meaning it wasnt running across the heater coils any more.

Per the dealer I have an actuator problem. From the info I have seen there are two doors with actuators, the one with the actuator on the passenger side near the floor which I think runs the recirculating air door, and the second which I think is somewhere behind the radio which runs the temperature/air blend door--this is the one I think has the problem, but I was kind of hoping for a confirmation before I start tearing the dash apart and risking breaking old plastic interior parts.

I should mention I am not a small person and I truly hate working under the dash.

Edit: I just did some more troubleshooting. I disconnected the recirculating door actuator (lower passenger side) and started the truck, turned on the a/c on cold. Nice cold air, so I went for a short drive; after a minute or so I heard a "thump" like a door closing, and the air immediately blew hot. I think it must be a weak air blend door actuator, a pita to get to of course. Oh well, might as well upgrade the stereo while i'm at it.

thanks again for your help, I'll post the info once I get it fixed, might help another poor soul with the same malfunction.

Last edited by knuck45; 05-23-2012 at 06:32 PM.
#5 Old 05-23-2012, 06:33 PM
knuck45

(Thread Starter)
Chris, was the actuator you replaced deep under the dash or the easy one to get to at the passenger side floor? Also, what year is your truck?

Mine is going to take a lot longer than 5 minutes.
#6 Old 05-23-2012, 06:40 PM
chris747

mine was the easy one, in the passenger side floor. its called the blend door accuator. it is what controls wheather or not the air is hot or cold whenever you change your temp control on the dash.
#7 Old 05-23-2012, 08:18 PM
knuck45

(Thread Starter)
Well, went out and pulled the "easy" actuator (lower left passenger side); I got the difficult screw backed out about 3/4 way and lowered the actuator motor. The crappy Dodge plastic coupling was broken and it fell out in 2 pieces.

Since I tested the actuator beforehand, i'm sure that is working properly. I think Dodge probably won't sell me the plastic coupling separately without the actuator; if not, I think I will buy one of the metal couplers from heatertreater for around $30.

Chris, thanks for helping me diagnose, I was all ready to start pulling dash panels and figured I would try the "easy" one first.

Thanks and have a great day.
#8 Old 05-23-2012, 08:25 PM
MoparCody

Mine is doing the same exact thing. Is it the same from the 2nd gens to a 2002 3rd gen?

Sent from my MB865 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
#9 Old 05-23-2012, 09:03 PM
knuck45

(Thread Starter)
I'm not positive but check out this thread, it starts with a guy with a '99' then later others chime in.

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212485

Also, if you check out heatertreater.net they have a fix kit for Rams; if you select Dodge they make different kits for different years, and they have a couple of decent videos of doing the job too.

Original Owner - 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 2wd Extended Cab 318
#10 Old 05-23-2012, 09:47 PM
chris747

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuck45 View Post
Well, went out and pulled the "easy" actuator (lower left passenger side); I got the difficult screw backed out about 3/4 way and lowered the actuator motor. The crappy Dodge plastic coupling was broken and it fell out in 2 pieces.

Since I tested the actuator beforehand, i'm sure that is working properly. I think Dodge probably won't sell me the plastic coupling separately without the actuator; if not, I think I will buy one of the metal couplers from heatertreater for around $30.

Chris, thanks for helping me diagnose, I was all ready to start pulling dash panels and figured I would try the "easy" one first.

Thanks and have a great day.
I bought the coupler from heater treater and it worked great. Glad I could help!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
#11 Old 05-23-2012, 10:59 PM
MoparCody

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuck45 View Post
I'm not positive but check out this thread, it starts with a guy with a '99' then later others chime in.

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212485

Also, if you check out heatertreater.net they have a fix kit for Rams; if you select Dodge they make different kits for different years, and they have a couple of decent videos of doing the job too.
Hey thanks for the reply man imma read that thread now lol. Thanks again guys and im sorry if i hijacked the thread i got carried away reading lol

Sent from my MB865 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
#12 Old 05-26-2012, 08:29 PM
knuck45

(Thread Starter)
Ordered the part from heatertreater on wednesday night, got it saturday (domestic priority mail), 1/2 hour to install and the truck a/c is fixed!

Stealership estimate = 8 hours, $985.00.

My cost, about 2 hours, $35.00. Thanks Chris and dodgetalk!

Original Owner - 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 2wd Extended Cab 318
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.