Cranks but wont fire - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 2nd Gen (94 01) Forums > 2G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

rcamp191

Cranks but wont fire - Posted: 05-17-2012, 08:13 PM
Campbell
City: Bucks County
State: PA
View This User's Gallery
Post #1

ok i was playing in the wood in my truck and hit a big bump and the truck shut off. i have fuel but i dont have spark i checked for loose connectors and everything while waiting for a tow but didnt find anything. has anyone exspeirenced a problem like this and if so wat helped fix it. it cranks but wont fire
Advertisement

rcamp191

Posted: 05-18-2012, 12:15 PM
Campbell
View This User's Gallery
Post #2

ok i have been able to figure out that i am not getting spark out of my coil but cant tell if im getting power up to my coil. does any one know if my crank position sensor or cam position sensor being un pluged would cause a check engine light. i hooked up my scan tool and found no codes stored as of right now

quadman493

Posted: 05-18-2012, 07:19 PM
State: TX
Post #3

I had a similar problem with my 98 ram 318. It would turn over, but wouldn't fire. It turned out to be the camshaft position sensor that is located under the distributor cap and rotor button. Hope this helps.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Moparite

Posted: 05-19-2012, 06:34 AM
Post #4

A crank or cam sensor should throw a code. Get a vom (volt ohm meter)meter and check if you have + positive power to the coil. Its a long shot but check the fuses in the engine compartment. May be the shock from the bump caused one to blow.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

rcamp191

Posted: 05-19-2012, 05:54 PM
Campbell
View This User's Gallery
Post #5

ok i have power coming out of my coil all the fuses are good no connectors are loose but i was trying to check my cam sensor and got shut down by campus police im at college right now and am working in a parking lot till monday when i can get my truck in the shop still no check engine light. while i was cranking the check engine light was flickering a little not flashing

rcamp191

Posted: 05-21-2012, 09:18 PM
Campbell
View This User's Gallery
Post #6

ok narrowed the problem down to the pcm no idea why it failed when it did but its not proccesing the signal from the crank and cam sensors so its not telling the injectors to fire or the coil to fire im swapping in a pcm from another dodge truck we have at the college i go to to hopefully make sure this is our issue if its not i dont know wat else it could be. my teacher happens to be a chrysler master certified tech and we have the factory scan tool so were almost positive its the pcm theres nothing else it could be

johnnyjaws

Posted: 05-21-2012, 09:25 PM
johnnyjaws
City: newburgh ny
State: NY
View This User's Gallery
Post #7

when you say playing in the wood and your in collage what do you mean LOL
98 ram 318 4x4 base model , extended cab , air horn mod ,kegger mod , plenum fix , trans bands adjusted , check valve deleit , front bully bar with dick kript lights , side nerf bars , tonneau cover , extra back up lights under bumper , bed liner , and window vents , side window covers oval, power sterring cooler , trans cooler , complete new frontend and steering box , 4 new gabral ultma gas shocks , new steering box stablizer, and rock solid steering shaft bushing , sliding rear window , 4inch body lift ,13x3 air filter , magnaflow catback duals with stainless tips , new brakes on front and back new rear wheel bearings and seals and rear drums , new used rust and dent free bed

rcamp191

Posted: 05-21-2012, 09:32 PM
Campbell
View This User's Gallery
Post #8

i was riding the trails through the state game land up here in central pensylvania i wasnt muddin or tearing stuff up just riding the trails there not paved but not rutted out there roads used during the hunting season to navigate through the wood