Trailer running lights not working...WTH - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 05-14-2012, 07:38 PM
BlueSLT05

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Trailer running lights not working...WTH

Ever since I bought the D, the running lights for the trailer haven't worked, but all the lights on the D work. I have the factory installed harness that comes back from the underhood fuse blocks. Here's what I have checked so far with no failures:
-20A fuse, outside of the blocks underhood
-every fuse underhood has been tested with a light on both sides of the fuse
-all fuses are there that should be
-kickpanel fuses

I have no power coming through the pin designated for the running lights on the 7pin connector. There is a relay tucked under the rear bumper by the left taillamp that is wrapped in black cloth tape. I unhooked it thinking it may be the culprit, called my local dealer and asked about the relay with no luck- they said they would have to sell me the whole wiring harness. I took the relay out, brought it to Robbins Auto Parts and tried to match it up / look it up. They found one that appeared to be similar, but told me the relay wouldn't cause this issue and assured me it's a bad wire somewhere. I looked at the wiring in a few points and it is all wrapped in the black tubing and some points are wrapped in black cloth tape also- everything APPEARS fine.

What wire would I probe to check for power prior to this relay?
Any other ideas? I need to tow a trailer this weekend and it will be dark coming home.
Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Relay.jpg (8.2 KB, 38 views)

05 Durango SLT 4.7
265/70/17 Grabber AT2
TB lift

Superchips 91 tune
True Flow sealed intake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-14-2012, 08:46 PM
silverhemidan
Silverhemidan

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
you probadly have a 4 pin plug,too.Could be tucked up behind the bumper area,look for it and it should have a boot on it(to cover the pins) check it out for corrosion(it will short out the other pins)

Silver Truck Club Member#127

2004 2500 Hemi - Off-Road Pkg.w/4.56's
6" Lift PP Long Arms/Coils/Bilstein 5160's/ Dynatrac free spin hubs/Dynaloc hubs/spicer axle ujoints,
Carli Ball Joints/Carli deaver 4" leaf springs/Thuren Shackles/Carli Long Travel Air Bags
37x12.5x17 Cooper STT's/XD Enduros
n-fab step bars with Line-X
MagnaFlow (#14329)/Superchips
20% tinted windows Don Thuren steering stabilizer True Flow CAI
Tonneau cover/Husky liners/4-channel Amp/
Rockford sub/ Panasonic HU/kenwood speakers Hella 500's behind grill/Wheel Liners/Bushwacker Pocket style flares/Aeroforce Interceptor/BD Steering Box Stabilizer/steering upgrade,Carli Trackbar/ retrofit projectors,infiniti FX35 projectors,shaved,black matte paint,6k,from Unique Coatings.

#3 Old 05-15-2012, 07:58 AM
BlueSLT05

(Thread Starter)
I'll see if I can find the 4-pin, thanks for the tip.

05 Durango SLT 4.7
265/70/17 Grabber AT2
TB lift

Superchips 91 tune
True Flow sealed intake
#4 Old 05-15-2012, 01:52 PM
BlueSLT05

(Thread Starter)
I don't have a 4 pin plug anywhere, just that stupid relay box. I have a wire that appears to be running lights power- I'm partially color blind, but it looks like a thin white wire with a green stripe. There is only power to that wire when the running lights are on and I tested it all the way to that relay, where it apparently changes wire color from there. After the relay, I have no power for the running lights so I'm going to try to replace it, or bypass it.

I took the relay out and tried testing the turn signals and running lights, the turn signals still worked, so I think this is just a relay designed to piss me off and regulate running lights. There are 4 spades, but 5 metal female points on the relay, not so sure why that would be either.

I'll keep the thread going until I can figure this out.

05 Durango SLT 4.7
265/70/17 Grabber AT2
TB lift

Superchips 91 tune
True Flow sealed intake

Last edited by BlueSLT05; 05-15-2012 at 02:58 PM.
#5 Old 05-15-2012, 03:02 PM
BlueSLT05

(Thread Starter)
I just got a new relay from the towing section of the parts store but it didn't fix the issue, still no power coming out the transition in the relay. I'm going to test the spades on the piece the relay plugs into and hope that maybe the issue is with that pice. If that doesn't solve it, I may have to try and run a wire direct and eliminate the 85 to 86 terminal- I'm running out of options.

05 Durango SLT 4.7
265/70/17 Grabber AT2
TB lift

Superchips 91 tune
True Flow sealed intake
#6 Old 05-15-2012, 03:30 PM
MileHighRango

I had the same problem with my D after a friend shorted two wires trying to wire a trailer with it still plugged into the truck, my problem was a 20amp red fuse under the hood but it sounds like you have checked all those.

New blinker fluid, rotated the lug nuts, spring air in the tires, New Moog muffler bearing, and more......
Courtesy of RedNeck153

2004 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi
1985 BMW 635CSi (65k original miles)
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7-SOLD
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Big Horn Hemi
2006 Jeep Commander Limited Hemi

Sig pic by: BMRbrnSNRbrd

#7 Old 05-15-2012, 03:38 PM
BlueSLT05

(Thread Starter)
I ran a wire with a 20A fuse between the two terminals and it blew the 10A fuse under the hood. I'm stumped. I don't want to put a bigger fuse up front for fear of ruining something.

05 Durango SLT 4.7
265/70/17 Grabber AT2
TB lift

Superchips 91 tune
True Flow sealed intake
#8 Old 05-15-2012, 03:42 PM
BlueSLT05

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighRango View Post
I had the same problem with my D after a friend shorted two wires trying to wire a trailer with it still plugged into the truck, my problem was a 20amp red fuse under the hood but it sounds like you have checked all those.
I checked all the fuses I could find. I checked for voltage after the solo red 20A fuse and it was good. It's frustrating because there's voltage going to the "relay" but I can't get anything beyond that.

05 Durango SLT 4.7
265/70/17 Grabber AT2
TB lift

Superchips 91 tune
True Flow sealed intake
#9 Old 05-15-2012, 08:58 PM
silverhemidan
Silverhemidan

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighRango View Post

X2
there is a fuse under the hood,just for trailer running lights....try replacing it.
mine keep blowing,but it was because my 4 pin connector was corroded and I never use that one....

Silver Truck Club Member#127

2004 2500 Hemi - Off-Road Pkg.w/4.56's
6" Lift PP Long Arms/Coils/Bilstein 5160's/ Dynatrac free spin hubs/Dynaloc hubs/spicer axle ujoints,
Carli Ball Joints/Carli deaver 4" leaf springs/Thuren Shackles/Carli Long Travel Air Bags
37x12.5x17 Cooper STT's/XD Enduros
n-fab step bars with Line-X
MagnaFlow (#14329)/Superchips
20% tinted windows Don Thuren steering stabilizer True Flow CAI
Tonneau cover/Husky liners/4-channel Amp/
Rockford sub/ Panasonic HU/kenwood speakers Hella 500's behind grill/Wheel Liners/Bushwacker Pocket style flares/Aeroforce Interceptor/BD Steering Box Stabilizer/steering upgrade,Carli Trackbar/ retrofit projectors,infiniti FX35 projectors,shaved,black matte paint,6k,from Unique Coatings.

#10 Old 05-18-2012, 01:48 PM
BlueSLT05

(Thread Starter)
So I got tired of trying to figure out what was going on with that damn relay, so I did the smart thing- bought a $10 trailer wiring kit with the LED indicators on the 4-pin flat connector. ( I only tow utility trailers, so I'll only ever use the 4 pin connector) I spliced the wires into the existing trailer wires before the relay and according to the LED's on the new 4 way flat, everything is working as it should. Why didn't I do this sooner.....

05 Durango SLT 4.7
265/70/17 Grabber AT2
TB lift

Superchips 91 tune
True Flow sealed intake
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.