How do you remove/replace a 1996 caravan tailgate? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Vehicle Forums > Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan Talk

Closed Thread

skyoneder

Question How do you remove/replace a 1996 caravan tailgate? - Posted: 05-10-2012, 08:28 PM
Caravan 96
State: BC
Post #1

My mom backed up the van into a truck and now the liftgate got pushed in and it won't open, how would I go about removing it and then getting a used tailgate from a junkyard to replace it?

Thanks in advance.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

zarric

Posted: 05-19-2012, 10:40 AM
State: AR
Post #2

I would start by trying to remove the interior panal. If you have to, jjust bust it out. Once you have removed it, disconnect the latch as best as you can. Complete removal is your goal..
Get a 4x4 or a couple of 2x4s and nail them together real good.and cut them to the length from the passanger seat and leave enough space for a jack. So not to long and not to short. Jack it out carefully and keep plastic taped over the glassin case it shatters.

Once you jack it out, just disconnect the harness connectors,lifts, and get help removing the last few bolts for the gate itself.

Do not use the drivers seat for leverage!
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

htesto

Posted: 05-20-2012, 11:07 AM
State: MN
Post #3

I did this job last week ('99 caravan sport). Took a lot of time.The hinges on top have enough space between two halves to pass rope through. MAKE SURE ROPE IS STRONG ENOUGH!. Tied a rope about 5 feet long from one hinge to the other. Tied another rope to middle of first rope, ran it across garage rafter, then through pulley tied to second rafter, then tied it to 10 gallon bucket. Fill bucket with water, now you have 50 pound counterweight to the door.
Hinge has 4 bolts at top to roof of van, undo those and the door comes off. Counterweight allows you to manenuver door. I used same counterweight to work with junkyard door ($ 250 pick up at yard, $ 50 if you take it off yourself). Good luck.

skyoneder

Posted: 05-20-2012, 01:28 PM
Caravan 96
State: BC
Post #4

great ideals, thanks guys, will try these out when I get those supplies, and probably some help from a friend or two!
Closed Thread