04 Ram Won't start - no gear indicator, guages stuck - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

dbracela

04 Ram Won't start - no gear indicator, guages stuck - Posted: 05-05-2012, 09:30 PM
City: Southern Ontario
State: ON
Post #1

Hi,

Yesterday I went to start my 04 Ram 5.7L 4x4. I turned the key and nothing happened. On closer inspection I noticed that while all guages have power, none of them give a reading, IE: my fuel guage says empty even though it is full. Also, no gear appears to be selected on the indicator on the dash (no "box" around park, reverse, etc...). The outside temp guage is stuck on 54 degrees celcius. There are no clicks, etc... OBD2 reader says ERR1 and nothing else. Disconecting the battery did nothing, nor did boosting it. All fuses are fine, i tried swapping relays from my old fuse box, nothing happened. The red security light stays on but so do most of the other dash lights. Any ideas? It's going to be towed to the dealer on tuesday but if there are any fixes I'd sure like to try them.

One time yesterday, while fiddling with the fuses, I heard the fuel pump kick in and a click like a solenoid, and the truck finally started. Left it over night and when I got back in today it wouldn't start again. I'm desperate, if you have ideas I'd sure appreciate hearing them. Thanks, Dan.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

crasher76

Posted: 05-06-2012, 12:44 AM
Im wired!!!
City: K-TOWN
State: WI
Post #2

Check battery voltage, then switch the asd relay with the fog or wiper relay. After that its all volt meter on pcm, pdc, cluster....maybe as simple as a bad battery or f****** fuse box. GOOD LUCK! post back results..
Black 2003 QC SB SLT 4x4 Offroad 5.7L HEMI, Original Owner 3.92 LSD, 260 cam, 6.1 Rods/Springs, Home Ported/Polished Heads, Psc1, 04 Map sensor and Fuel pump assembly, Oil pressure guage, Amsoil, Champs, MSD 8.5MM Full length Wires, Transgo HD w/out resistor, Superchip, 180 T-Stat, K/N 77 Series, Ceramic Flowtech headers with Y-Pipe, Stage 8 locks, Ditched the cat, O2 sensor mod, Jack Rabbit bed cover, Sprayed bed liner, Big Mouth Grill-Black, Blackend Headlights/Tails, Silverstar ultras, Ditched all chrome, Custom 10's sub enclosure, Upgraded 160 amp alt, Window tint, Relocated purge valve, Energy suspension bushings, Rear spring clamps, Rebuilt front suspension, Ditched Sway Bar, Passport 8500 Radar Detector, Ditched the baby seat- kid wasnt mine, Cigarette burn in the seat mod, Debadged, Custom Rewired/Properly Grounded.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

05Ramhendrix

Posted: 05-06-2012, 03:50 AM
Ramistered User
City: Estero
State: FL
View This User's Gallery
Post #3

Dead cell in battery, get new one.

2005 QC HEMI * 2wd * PSB Bright Silver * AEM Brute Force Intake * Powerwire * Jetstream Scoop * Stant 14168 180* T-stat * Superchip Flashpaq 3865 w/ Trans Tuning * BBK Ceramic Shorty Headers * Magnaflow Y Pipe * Magnaflow Catback * Motive 4.56 Gears LSD * Rough Country 6" Lift *Moto Metal 951 20x10 *Nitto Terra Grapplers 305/55/20 * Alpine Audio

dbracela

Posted: 05-06-2012, 11:51 AM
Post #4

As in vehicle battery or key fob? If it was the battery shouldnt I be able to boost it?

05Ramhendrix

Posted: 05-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Ramistered User
City: Estero
State: FL
View This User's Gallery
Post #5

Vehicle battery, your symptoms sound a lot like mine when I had a dead cell. Battery would power the lights and accessories but not PCM or start truck. These trucks are a big paperweight without a good battery to power the computer, funky things and gremlins start to happen without the correct voltage. If it has a dead cell there is no boosting or jumping.

2005 QC HEMI * 2wd * PSB Bright Silver * AEM Brute Force Intake * Powerwire * Jetstream Scoop * Stant 14168 180* T-stat * Superchip Flashpaq 3865 w/ Trans Tuning * BBK Ceramic Shorty Headers * Magnaflow Y Pipe * Magnaflow Catback * Motive 4.56 Gears LSD * Rough Country 6" Lift *Moto Metal 951 20x10 *Nitto Terra Grapplers 305/55/20 * Alpine Audio

dbracela

Posted: 05-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Post #6

Tried a different battery today. From my other car. No dice. Tried new relays, nada. New fuse box and fcm last year. Could I be locked out by the sentry system? Bad PCM?

dbracela

Posted: 05-06-2012, 03:51 PM
Post #7

It goes to the dealer on Tuesday. I'll post what they find, along with the cost, ugh.

dbracela

Posted: 05-07-2012, 03:24 PM
Post #8

The dealer saw the truck today. Corroded wires is the apparent cause. They have to replace a 16 pin and 26 pin connector before they can be sure. Apparently they communicate with integrated control something or other. The part will be in in 5 days. I'll post a more specific response once I have the work order in my hands. Estimate is 650 bucks... So far...

chefred112

Posted: 05-08-2012, 07:05 PM
Valdez Racing Team
City: Tracy, CA
State: CA
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
View This User's Timeslip View This User's Dyno Entries
Post #9

wow that much? sounds like the Fcm (fusebox)... mine acted weird sometimes untill I swapped it out... it would crap out on me driving on the highway.. sometimes the truck would run but the guages wouldn't...

over 250k miles on odo

dbracela

Posted: 05-21-2012, 11:47 AM
Post #10

So I got my truck back. The totally integrated control module (fuse box for dumb guys like me) couldn't communicate with the truck due to some corroded wires. They replaced two of the connectors and a couple single wires, and voila, brand new truck. Cost 650 bucks for labour and parts and diagnostics. Parts in Canada are a little pricier and the dealer charges 95 bucks an hour.

It's my fault they corroded though.When I changed the fuse box last year I noticed that the previous owner had punctured each wire with a probe to trace why a headlight wouldn't work. I should have repaired the damage then and there before it spread but I guess I got lazy or dumb and left it. Had the same problem with corroded wires in the back end too, as they were all also punctured. I fixed them myself and replaced what had already rotted out.

So, thanks all for the advice, if you find similar symptoms to mine check the wires under the box as well as the connectors. Dan.
Closed Thread