how much oil does your hemi take? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 04-21-2012, 08:06 AM
cumminsmannow
diesel guy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
how much oil does your hemi take?

So I did another oil change on my hemi yesterday. First one was done at 3k and I used mobil 1 and have since learned that it makes the hemi tick more pronounced. So at 5k (yesterday) I changed it again and put amsoil in it. I didn't really pay attention last time as I was using 2 of those 5qt jugs of mobil 1. But this time I had the quart jugs of amsoil oe 5w20. After I changed my mopar filter for a new mopar filter It took all of 8 quarts to get it to the full line on the stick.
I could swear these motors are only sopposed to be 7 qt capacity.
So let me know how much you put in your hemi when you do an oil change, And make sure you say what year your truck is too.

2012 2500 megacab 4x4 hemi laramie.
Mineral grey/ Bright silver bottom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-21-2012, 08:22 AM
dwins1900

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumminsmannow View Post
So I did another oil change on my hemi yesterday. First one was done at 3k and I used mobil 1 and have since learned that it makes the hemi tick more pronounced. So at 5k (yesterday) I changed it again and put amsoil in it. I didn't really pay attention last time as I was using 2 of those 5qt jugs of mobil 1. But this time I had the quart jugs of amsoil oe 5w20. After I changed my mopar filter for a new mopar filter It took all of 8 quarts to get it to the full line on the stick.
So let me know how much you put in your hemi when you do an oil change, And make sure you say what year your truck is too.
7qts is what the hemi should take. Be careful not to overfill your oil it can do very bad damage to your motor because the oil wont cuirculate right. Make sure you have let the truck sit for at least 5 minutes without starting it to check the oil level so the oil seeps down to where it can be properly read. Also make sure the truck is on level ground. You may already know all of this but I would hate to see someone destroy a good motor. I would almost say filling it all the way to the fill line is not good just keep it in the middle of the safe line. At high rpms when your oil is to full the oil can get whipped into a foam and wont cuirculate and you will cease your engine, you can go drive it around and everything might seem normal. Ive heard of people going 150 miles with their oil to full and then shit hits the fan.
#3 Old 04-21-2012, 10:26 AM
Ramjoe

7 qts on the dot!

2011 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 5.7, Bright White--- Ram Box, Spray in bed liner, Trailer brake controller, Tow Mirrors. (factory), Smitty Bilt SS Step bars, Husky Mud Guards, Mufflex DOD14M, AFE Full Metal Power CAI, Billet Technologies Catch Can, Vision Warrior 375 17in wheels w\ Nitto Terra Grapplers, Daystar 2.5 in Lift front and rear.

Moscow Lodge #504 PA
#4 Old 04-21-2012, 11:00 AM
PCP
what's my bore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwins1900 View Post
7qts is what the hemi should take. Be careful not to overfill your oil it can do very bad damage to your motor because the oil wont cuirculate right. Make sure you have let the truck sit for at least 5 minutes without starting it to check the oil level so the oil seeps down to where it can be properly read. Also make sure the truck is on level ground. You may already know all of this but I would hate to see someone destroy a good motor. I would almost say filling it all the way to the fill line is not good just keep it in the middle of the safe line. At high rpms when your oil is to full the oil can get whipped into a foam and wont cuirculate and you will cease your engine, you can go drive it around and everything might seem normal. Ive heard of people going 150 miles with their oil to full and then shit hits the fan.

all i can say is WHAT???

Quote:
fill it till it's full and call it good.

510 rwhp and 522 foot lb of torque.
fastest 1/4 and 3rd time out 12.33 at 110 mph

check out our rat rod build.
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/show...=356638&page=5

Don't TOUCH my truck Club # 92
Silver truck club #235
Trucks and Guns Club #145
#5 Old 04-21-2012, 01:45 PM
Ramjoe

go by the book. I would not put a whole extra quart in. 7 is all you need. If it is in the hash marked section of the dipstick and not on add then there is no need to add more oil.

2011 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 5.7, Bright White--- Ram Box, Spray in bed liner, Trailer brake controller, Tow Mirrors. (factory), Smitty Bilt SS Step bars, Husky Mud Guards, Mufflex DOD14M, AFE Full Metal Power CAI, Billet Technologies Catch Can, Vision Warrior 375 17in wheels w\ Nitto Terra Grapplers, Daystar 2.5 in Lift front and rear.

Moscow Lodge #504 PA
#6 Old 04-21-2012, 06:07 PM
cumminsmannow
diesel guy

(Thread Starter)
we are talking well below the hashed area of the stick with 7qts

#7 Old 04-21-2012, 08:42 PM
dwins1900

[QUOTE=PCP;4337461]all i can say is WHAT???

Dude do some research on adding to much oil to a vehicle
#8 Old 04-21-2012, 08:47 PM
cumminsmannow
diesel guy

(Thread Starter)
Yes it may be too much oil for a normal vehicle. But I am only putting enough oil in it to be at the full mark. If the motor blows they can put a new one in it because i only filled it to the full mark.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#9 Old 04-22-2012, 07:09 AM
zabman

7.7 litres for us Canuks.

2009 QC Sport loaded,debadged,Borla Pro XS,LineX,Zeibart,ARE tonneau,tint, Mopar T handle,OEM flares,Vararam,JBA headers.
#10 Old 04-22-2012, 03:26 PM
HEMIHag

I'm on my thrid Ram with a Hemi. Always did my own oil changes and only put 7 quarts in. Never checked the dip stick to see where it was at, cause I didn't worry. My father in law has my first one still with 150,000 on it and has no problems.
The manual says 7 quarts so that's what it must be. Don't think they would tell you to put in less than the engine should take or they'd probably be doin a bunch on engine replacements. Put in more at your own risk.

2011 RAM 1500 OUTDOORSMAN
Extang Trifecta Tonno, Mufflex muffler w/ no reso dumped, K&N CAI, 4" Rough Country Lift
20" Fuel Offroad Pump's w/ 35x12.5 Toyo Open Country ATII's, Readylift UCA and Offroad Steering Kit, Fox shocks all around front coilovers set at 1"
#11 Old 04-22-2012, 04:48 PM
cumminsmannow
diesel guy

(Thread Starter)
So i let the truck sit for almost 24 hrs since i got home yesterday and went out and pulled the stick. I am roughly 1/4" over the full mark. So i do have too much in there but not by much. Maybe a 1/4 of a quart. I will drain a little out later when i get home. And from now on i will just put in 7 and not worry about it.

#12 Old 04-22-2012, 05:42 PM
dwins1900

Quote:
So i let the truck sit for almost 24 hrs since i got home yesterday and went out and pulled the stick. I am roughly 1/4" over the full mark. So i do have too much in there but not by much. Maybe a 1/4 of a quart. I will drain a little out later when i get home. And from now on i will just put in 7 and not worry about it.

There is a lot of oil that sits inside the the engine and allowing it to seap back down to where the level can be checked is important, my uncle was a mechanic and would tell me all the time that someone put way to much oil in. He said it is also just as important to check it on level ground.
#13 Old 04-22-2012, 08:29 PM
Second_Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabman View Post
7.7 litres for us Canuks.
From the Owner Manual
5.7L Engine (SAE 5W-20, API Certified) 7 Quarts/6.6 Liters

2011 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman Crewcab 4x4

Truxedo LoPro - Westin Premier 6'' Oval tubes - Sonnax line pressure booster - Dee Zee rubber bed mat - Magnaflow 12259 - K&N Aircharger - Bilstein 5100 set at 2.8'' - AirLift 1000 - Bully Dog GT for Hemi Plus
#14 Old 04-25-2012, 11:41 PM
lvrr

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you took 8 quarts to read full you may want to hop over to your dealer and check to make sure your dip stick is the proper length for the engine. In my earlier lifetime as a mechanic I have come across one or two sticks that were not made properly and were short giving incorrect readings.

Just tell them the situation and that you would like it checked.
#15 Old 04-26-2012, 12:17 AM
TwinStick

Or check it with someone elses truck. Even though it may only be a 1/4" above full, it could still be 1 qt overfilled. Reason: maybe above the full mark on the dstick, the area opens up a lot. So it would not be the same as, bottom of safe mark = add 1 qt. Not 100% sure though.

Mine takes 7.

My 04 w/6 pass engine oil cooler, lines & larger filter, took 9.

08' PowerWagon w/6-speed manual G-56. 05' 30' toyhauler camper.(10,500lbs)
Hellwig LoadPro 35 bolt on 4 leaf helper springs.
No honey, I'm NOT done buying shit for the truck yet !!!
PurpleCrainium Diff Guards
K&N air filter --- WeatherGuard 20" black bed toolbox.
winch TPC bypass
Dual battery set up w/2 Sears DieHard Platinums-Gp 65 under hood-Gp 31 Marine deep cycle in bed toolbox w/plug-n-play set up. Custom 2000/4000w inverter set up w/quick connect. Triple bike mounts above the bed- custom made by me.
Crapload of recovery gear-always subject to adding more.
Fab Four rear bumper. Soon to be- a BuckStop Baja front bumper.--Temporarily on hold, see reason below.
Installed: Borgeson #000951 steering shaft. PSC steering brace(notched for PW by Rusty-thanks bud). Carli HD CroMo adjustable track bar. Carli CroMo control arms. Carli HD upper & lower balljoints x 2 sets (replaced under warrenty) & triple sealed u-joints in front axle shafts & rear driveshaft. Moog HD tierod ends x 4. Running total is now $4800. Yup, now i'm broke !!!

What, you ask, is the difference between a Dodge Ram and a PowerWagon ?? PW frame part # 55398868AC---Reg 2500 #55398813AC
About 2" taller, 12,000lb winch w/mounting brace between framerails,electronic disconnecting swaybar(for awsome articulation),electronic locking axles front & rear(for true 4-wheel drive),tow pkg, fully skidplated,forged one piece Alcoa rims w/internal beadlock lips,larger diameter(one ton) axleshaft in rear,160 amp alt,HD battery,4.56 gears,low range electronic recalibration of gas pedal sensitivity,more but thinner leafs in rear spring pack(for better articulation), 33" BFG All-Terrain tires. 78.016:1 crawl ratio. All for $6100.00 more! Oh yeah, almost forgot-Bilstein shocks. Gear ratios: 1st 6.29:1 2nd 3.48:1 3rd 2.10:1 4th 1.38:1 5th 1.0:1 6th .79:1.. Rev 5.74:1.

Last edited by TwinStick; 04-28-2012 at 01:13 AM.
#16 Old 04-26-2012, 08:39 AM
Ramjoe

bottom line 7qts is all that is required. any more is pointless and will do more harm than good.

Moscow Lodge #504 PA
#17 Old 04-27-2012, 05:11 PM
hawk02

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 05 takes 8 with the oversized filter.

2004 RC SRT10 6spd Black, 500+ HP and 525+TQ already #50 of 3057, B&G Stage2 PCMBT underhood items, JTSVP Gen1 shifter#49 and Snakeskin radiator cover, 06 rebadged, hard tonneau with BedRug, tinted windows, WeatherTech mats and Lloyds custom ones for show, more to come JMB catless mids with Magnaflow cat back, ROE Racing TB, Screamin' demon coils and JTSVP Wires, Venomous1 Racing Billet UD pulley, K&N drop-in with Snakeskin lid and valve covers by V1R, 170* thermostat,AMI Billet handles, JMB tanks, JTSVP lowering blocks and more SnakeSkin stuff!!!!!!!!
#18 Old 04-27-2012, 05:57 PM
2011_Ram_RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramjoe View Post
bottom line 7qts is all that is required. any more is pointless and will do more harm than good.
7 is correct.

2011 Flame Red Ram RT (mine):
Mods: Bedrug
http://s1141.photobucket.com/home/thomas_howard1/index

2010 Brilliant Black Mustang GT coupe (Wendy's):
http://s1141.photobucket.com/albums/...0Mustang%20GT/
#19 Old 05-07-2012, 06:52 PM
hounddogg

Tick on startup is caused by the oil filter. Not the oil.

2009 Quad Cab SLT White,Hemi,2WD,20 inch wheels,3.92 gear.2003 Quad Dually 4x4,6 speed,4.10 gears,diesel.Banks 4 inch exhaust,Afe Pro Guard filter,Rottech crank sensor mod.Amsoil fliuds front to back.08 Corvette Convertible.
#20 Old 05-07-2012, 07:09 PM
MSparks909

My 06 takes 8 with the larger K&N oil filter.

06 Black QC G56, 76K miles and counting...
Thuren coils, tracbar, control arms, shackles, draglink, limit straps, towers, Stage 3 front King 2.5's, DBL Bypass rear King 2.5's, Carli leaf springs, Carli upper & lower BJ's and diff cover, PSC notched steering brace, 08.5 "T" linkage, PSC Extreme Duty Steering Box, Borgeson Lower Steering Shaft, Magnaflow muffler, Airaid Intake, American Racing ATX Thug 17x8.5, Yokohama Geolander AT/S 37x12.50x17, Rockcrusher rear diff cover, Airflow snorkel (fitted to Airaid full intake), Magnaflow y-pipe & Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, Go Recon Super White cab lights, EBC slotted rotors/Yellowstuff pads, winch thermal bypass & locker bypass, Pit Slave-modded SmartBar, greasable front u-joints, tint, JL Audio 12" subwoofer & JL Audio 500W amp with adjustable bass knob

Upcoming Mods:
Flowtech Headers, Line-X rocker panels/fender flares, eBay black mesh grill, DIY blacked-out headlights, Diablosport programmer, chopped rocker panels, tube bumpers F/R, Rigid Industries LED lightbar, axle truss, stiffer shock valving, VH tire carrier, Mastercraft Baja RS seats, Filtermag, Go Pro HERO 2
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.