2011 hemi 2500 noise. dealer says normal... - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 4th Gen (09 Up) Forums > 4G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

2manytoys2

2011 hemi 2500 noise. dealer says normal... - Posted: 03-28-2012, 03:28 PM
City: mn
State: MN
Post #1

Anymore info on the noisy hemi exhaust- air - ticking sound? I have had it in 3 times in the last month. The 1st time was a week after buying it. I told them I would never have bought this truck the way it sound now. After days of searching it seems that this is a 2500 problem. I have a appt tomorrow with a performance exhaust shop, i hope they can help.

Any info would be great.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

myoung84

Posted: 03-28-2012, 03:42 PM
Administrator
City: Broken Arrow
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #2

I have the same noise and it's annoying. I even have a Magnaflow 14" dumped after the axle and still hear it/ My 1500 Hemi didn't have these noises so I personally don't think it's "normal" but also don't think it's hurting anything...

Let us know what you find out, I am very interested in what the exhaust shop has to say. I plan to upgrade the exhaust later on down the road with shorty headers and a new Y pipe so maybe that will fix it...

Oh, and welcome to DodgeTalk!

2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman
Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Vararam Intake | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Toyo A/T II Tires | Bilstein 5100 Front Shocks @ 2.1" | Bilstein 5100 Rear Shocks | Movotech UCA's
AirLift 100 Air Bags | Bestop PowerBoards | RollBak Bed Cover | BedRug

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Overland Hemi

Magnaflow Exhaust | Volant Intake | Diablo inTune w/Hemifever Tuning | BT Oil Catch Can

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

dizzyD

Posted: 03-28-2012, 03:47 PM
Registered MOPAR User
City: 714
State: CA
View This User's Dyno Entries
Post #3

Is it a valve train type of tick or exhaust leaking tick?
Another welcome to DT, btw.

1999 Durango SLT+ leather, 360ci 4x4, hughes plenum rebuild, superchips 3865, tow pkg, 3.55 LSD, rear tail light guard, K&N CAI, FM 50MM TB, crystal clear headlights, Torsion/shackle lift, Rancho RSX's, Pacesetter headers, dual trans & oil temp a-pillar pod, chrome deep trans pan, drilled & slotted rotors, 10 disc cd changer.

2004 Ram 1500 SLT 2WD QC LB 345ci, FM 84MM TB, slotted brake rotors, step bar, diamond plate pedals, locking gas door, tow package w/ 3.55 lsd, Hellwig LP-15, shell and carpet kit, 18% door window tint, Magnaflow 12641, Slammed1's 3" spindle lift and 2.5 coil spacer, rear lift shackles, Airraid MIT, superchips 3815, 6K front winch & custom Winch Plate, Autometer phantom trans gauge mounted in Mopar SRT A-Pillar single pod, lumber/roof rack, Rancho 9000X shocks, ATS fender flairs, 1" BL, gap guards, black grille, silver painted bezel(soon 2b white)
Next: HD rear lift bags

Gone but not forgotten 93 factory freak CC dakota lifted 4x4 318

myoung84

Posted: 03-28-2012, 03:48 PM
Administrator
Post #4

It's hard to explain, but mine sounds like a mix between an exhaust leak and engine ping...

Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Vararam Intake | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Toyo A/T II Tires | Bilstein 5100 Front Shocks @ 2.1" | Bilstein 5100 Rear Shocks | Movotech UCA's

Magnaflow Exhaust | Volant Intake | Diablo inTune w/Hemifever Tuning | BT Oil Catch Can

dizzyD

Posted: 03-28-2012, 03:53 PM
Registered MOPAR User
City: 714
State: CA
View This User's Dyno Entries
Post #5

I had a major back pressure problem on my 93 dak 318 when I went with 3" exhaust all the way, front to back. the noises it made was nearly hilarious (for the first 20 minutes) as it sounded like bubbling, actually back fires, until i had the tail pipe from muffler reduced to 2.75. all those noises went away once changed.

1999 Durango SLT+ leather, 360ci 4x4, hughes plenum rebuild, superchips 3865, tow pkg, 3.55 LSD, rear tail light guard, K&N CAI, FM 50MM TB, crystal clear headlights, Torsion/shackle lift, Rancho RSX's, Pacesetter headers, dual trans & oil temp a-pillar pod, chrome deep trans pan, drilled & slotted rotors, 10 disc cd changer.

2004 Ram 1500 SLT 2WD QC LB 345ci, FM 84MM TB, slotted brake rotors, step bar, diamond plate pedals, locking gas door, tow package w/ 3.55 lsd, Hellwig LP-15, shell and carpet kit, 18% door window tint, Magnaflow 12641, Slammed1's 3" spindle lift and 2.5 coil spacer, rear lift shackles, Airraid MIT, superchips 3815, 6K front winch & custom Winch Plate, Autometer phantom trans gauge mounted in Mopar SRT A-Pillar single pod, lumber/roof rack, Rancho 9000X shocks, ATS fender flairs, 1" BL, gap guards, black grille, silver painted bezel(soon 2b white)
Next: HD rear lift bags

Gone but not forgotten 93 factory freak CC dakota lifted 4x4 318

myoung84

Posted: 03-28-2012, 03:58 PM
Administrator
Post #6

Mine did this from the day I picked it up, 100% stock. The only major difference in the 2500 exhaust vs the 1500 is the location of the cats, they are further back instead of directly behind the manifolds. The Y pipe looks slightly different, though it's still crushed like they have been forever.

cumminsmannow

Posted: 03-28-2012, 04:45 PM
diesel guy
Post #7

mine makes the same noise has since it was new. I will be modifying my ypipe to get rid of the restriction where they come together. I am going to cut the middle out of it with a band saw and weld in a pie shaped piece to seal it back up and open up the flow thru there. I am also going to put in a 24" mufflex replacement muffler and add an electric cutout to bypass the muffler before I put it in.
I'm hoping this helps with these strange noises!

2manytoys2

Posted: 03-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Post #8

No noise at idle. Mine comes on as soon as I touch the pedal. Sounds kinda like a air leak. I will let you know what the muffler guy says. I m thinking its the little cat/resonator things right down from the manifolds. What about the y pipe collector, could that have a leak? Funny thing is I can cap off the exhaust at the tailpipe and the truck will not change. I thought it would kill.

2manytoys2

Posted: 03-28-2012, 05:06 PM
Post #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung84 View Post
I have the same noise and it's annoying. I even have a Magnaflow 14" dumped after the axle and still hear it/ My 1500 Hemi didn't have these noises so I personally don't think it's "normal" but also don't think it's hurting anything...

Let us know what you find out, I am very interested in what the exhaust shop has to say. I plan to upgrade the exhaust later on down the road with shorty headers and a new Y pipe so maybe that will fix it...

Oh, and welcome to DodgeTalk!
Its hurting my Head! Also any faith I had in Dodge before this. I should have kept the cummins.....

Ramjoe

Posted: 03-29-2012, 08:02 AM
State: PA
View This User's Gallery
Post #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manytoys2 View Post
No noise at idle. Mine comes on as soon as I touch the pedal. Sounds kinda like a air leak. I will let you know what the muffler guy says. I m thinking its the little cat/resonator things right down from the manifolds. What about the y pipe collector, could that have a leak? Funny thing is I can cap off the exhaust at the tailpipe and the truck will not change. I thought it would kill.
Same here! I have learned to live with it but I am very curious as to what it is!
2011 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 5.7, Bright White--- Ram Box, Spray in bed liner, Trailer brake controller, Tow Mirrors. (factory), Smitty Bilt SS Step bars, Husky Mud Guards, Mufflex DOD14M, AFE Full Metal Power CAI, Billet Technologies Catch Can, Vision Warrior 375 17in wheels w\ Nitto Terra Grapplers, Daystar 2.5 in Lift front and rear.

Moscow Lodge #504 PA

cumminsmannow

Posted: 03-29-2012, 08:23 AM
diesel guy
Post #11

The one thing that told me to get rid of the factory muffler is when i noticed at like 1,000 miles that the muffler was purple. Tells me there is plenty of backpressure there and heat buildup.
Needs to be opened up.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

2manytoys2

Posted: 03-29-2012, 12:43 PM
Post #12

Update. Muffler shop says no leaks. We talked a lot about resonance inside the pipe. I drove a 12 2500 today and some noise not as bad as mine. Looked under a 1500 to see the difference and then I thought to look under the 2012 2500 to see if they changed anything. *******s! There is a donut looking vibration dampener on the y pipe right near center. So they know there is a problem. Dealer says they can't put that on mine unless I pay for it. He is checking on it.

myoung84

Posted: 03-29-2012, 01:01 PM
Administrator
Post #13

I have the same vibration damper on my 2012 with the same noise so that does not solve the issue...

Ramjoe

Posted: 03-29-2012, 02:30 PM
State: PA
View This User's Gallery
Post #14

I hear it over my flowmaster as well.
2011 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 5.7, Bright White--- Ram Box, Spray in bed liner, Trailer brake controller, Tow Mirrors. (factory), Smitty Bilt SS Step bars, Husky Mud Guards, Mufflex DOD14M, AFE Full Metal Power CAI, Billet Technologies Catch Can, Vision Warrior 375 17in wheels w\ Nitto Terra Grapplers, Daystar 2.5 in Lift front and rear.

Moscow Lodge #504 PA

04Ram2500Hemi

Posted: 03-29-2012, 03:15 PM
Same Name, Different Game
City: Missoula
State: MT
Post #15

I think all of us 2012 Hemi owners have some sort of tick. Mine isn't all that noticable, but it's there. My whole exhaust is still factory, but if somebody has an after market fix for it I'd be up for trying it. The trick is to make the truck sound better without a big drone in the cab while going down the road. The big reason I haven't done anything to my exhaust was because my 2004 Hemi was so freaking loud between the exhaust and the CAI. I really like being able to have a conversation with other people in my truck.
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, Two Vision X LED Lights on Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill

Gone But Never Forgotten!
2004 Ram 2500 4X4 SLT Quad Cab Hemi Silver Metallic, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Westin Nerf Bars Sprayed with Line-X, Bushwacker Extend A Fender Sprayed with Line-X, Rhino Lining in the Bed and Over the Rails, Truxedo Low Profile Tonneau Cover, Hell 500's Behind the Grill, Warn Front Receiver, KC Backup Lights, Custom Mounted Bumper Backup Lights, V-7 V Force Muffler, Auto Meter Transmission Temperature Gauge, SRT-10 Pillar Grab Handle, Kore Recon Suspension System, Kore Race Steering Damper, Kore Chase Control Arms, Kore Coil Spring Isolator, Kore End Links, 35x12.50 Mud Terrain SXT Tires, SRT-10 Hood, AEM Brute Force Intake, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Smoked Recon Cab Lights, Tuff Stuff 12,500 Pound Multi Point Winch

myoung84

Posted: 03-29-2012, 03:17 PM
Administrator
Post #16

My 14" Magnaflow dumped after the axle has very little drone. You can hear it in the cab but it's no where near annoying.

And I also have the normal Hemi tick, but it's a separate issue than the pinging sound.

2manytoys2

Posted: 03-29-2012, 03:30 PM
Post #17

These dealers suck. The last thing we talked about was bring it back to the original dealer and call Ram and see if they can help.

Mine sounds just like a blown manifold gasket. The dealer says they checked them and tightened the rear ones. The ones that you can get to easily. Yesterday I crawled under my new truck and pulled the heat shields off and tightened the manifold bolts. 3/4 were loose enough to turn with a 1/4 inch ratchet. Very poor service. It seems like no one wants to do anything but oil changes and light bulbs.

Im waiting for a call back from Ram. So fun buying a new truck.

Dillyw

Posted: 03-29-2012, 06:38 PM
City: Quinte West
State: ON
Post #18

What is this noise? The ping sound or the drown sound?
I have not noticed any sounds but sure I will now lol!

2003 1500 5.7 - sold!

Noved

Posted: 03-29-2012, 08:51 PM
Ram n Ram Ram
City: Kansas City area
State: KS
Post #19

The 2012s are quieter than the 2011s or 10s for sure but then knock on wood. I had a 2011 2500 Hemi come in for a Tie rod Recall and it had no tick it was very very quiet. My 2011 has a small noise so after work one day I am 80% sure I traced it to the exhaust manifold but I do not have the time or focus to take mine apart to look at it. I have learned to deal with it. I can tell you that it is not going to affect your performance or do any damage to anything. It is like listening to someone sing who should not be singing its annoying but it will not kill you.
Former Trucks
2011 Ram 2500 5.7L Hemi CC 4x4 4.10s (2 Years ownership)
2008 Ram 1500 3.7L V6 RCLB 4x2 3.92s (3 Years ownership)
Former Mineral Grey Club Member #77

SlimTex

Posted: 03-29-2012, 09:05 PM
City: Houston
State: TX
Post #20

never notice that on my 2010.