1977 Dodge Camper Van - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 1st Gen (88 - 93) Forum

Closed Thread

CSP

1977 Dodge Camper Van - Posted: 11-10-2004, 10:29 PM
Post #1

Hello to all

I have a 1977 Dodge camper van that is equipped with a 318 cu in motor and a 727 3 speed transmission with a lockup torque converter.

I would like to replace the transmission with a model A518 4 speed transmission that was introduced in Dakota trucks in 1988. I understand that this transmission is 4 " longer.

What would I need to do to bolt the A518 transmission up to the 318 engine in respect to any special spacers or anything to do with the flywheel? Does anyone have any information that could help me with this?

thanking you in advance,

Scott
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodgevanman

Posted: 11-11-2004, 05:53 AM
Do It In A Van
City: Baltimore Hon!
State: MD
View This User's Gallery
Post #2

Scott,

The A518 will bolt right up to your 318, but you may have to come up with a custom mounting bracket and mount. Of course you'll need to have your driveshaft shortened. Just be sure that the A518 you use is rebuilt and the converter is new as well. The OD is electrically engaged so you will have to run a switch on the dash. My '94 B250 van has an A518 and there is an OD switch on my dash.

BTW, there is a Dodge Van section on this forum now so guys like us can hang out.

1994 B250 Ram Van Conversion by Elk
5.2L Magnum

2008 Grand Caravan SXT
3.8L

Member of:
North Chesapeake Bay Vans, est. 1975
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

CSP

Posted: 11-17-2004, 08:07 PM
Post #3

Hi

Thanks for your reply and information - that helped alot!

Thanks, Scott
Closed Thread