Bypass an Automobile DVD Player's Parking Brake Safety Switch - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 03-15-2012, 09:10 PM
Scotty-B77

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bypass an Automobile DVD Player's Parking Brake Safety Switch

How to Bypass an Automobile DVD Player's Parking Brake Safety Switch

Anyone done it. Iv'e read one guy installed an on/off switch in case he was pulled over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-16-2012, 08:31 AM
fat1

depends on the make/model of the head unit. OEM requires the use of a "lockpick" or "allgig" device. Newer clarions require a chip unit from ebay or a relay/toggleswitch. Older models can get by with grounding the parking brake sensor wire. I have a newer clarion so I bought a module on ebay for $20 and it works great. I didn't want to use a relay since they can be noisy when they kick on/off.
#3 Old 03-16-2012, 08:37 AM
HonkifurHemi
Retired Army

I've read that some of the newer players detect motion and there's no way to bypass that... and even if you can do it. it's probabaly illegal or might send a code to the computer (just guessing)... Probably a lot easier, safer, and maybe even cheaper to just buy a portable DVD player.
#4 Old 03-16-2012, 09:43 AM
fat1

my reason for the bypass had nothing to do with DVD playback. I want my passengers to have the ability to modify a route or input an address into the nav unit without having to exit the freeway and stop completely. I mean, they have passenger airbag detection why not enable nav features if they detect a passenger? Also, I have my backup cam connected to a switch rather than the reverse wire so i can turn it on whenever I want. This lets me check on my trailer/tires while sitting at a traffic light or driving. Many safe reasons to bypass the restrictions...
#5 Old 03-16-2012, 10:11 AM
04Ram2500Hemi
Same Name, Different Game

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think the lockpick is the only way to go on our newer trucks. I could be wrong though.

2012 Ram Power Wagon
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, LED Lights Mounted in the Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill

Gone But Never Forgotten!
2004 Ram 2500 4X4 SLT Quad Cab Hemi Silver Metallic, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Westin Nerf Bars Sprayed with Line-X, Bushwacker Extend A Fender Sprayed with Line-X, Rhino Lining in the Bed and Over the Rails, Truxedo Low Profile Tonneau Cover, Hell 500's Behind the Grill, Warn Front Receiver, KC Backup Lights, Custom Mounted Bumper Backup Lights, V-7 V Force Muffler, Auto Meter Transmission Temperature Gauge, SRT-10 Pillar Grab Handle, Kore Recon Suspension System, Kore Race Steering Damper, Kore Chase Control Arms, Kore Coil Spring Isolator, Kore End Links, 35x12.50 Mud Terrain SXT Tires, SRT-10 Hood, AEM Brute Force Intake, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Smoked Recon Cab Lights, Tuff Stuff 12,500 Pound Multi Point Winch
#6 Old 03-16-2012, 10:58 AM
myoung84
Administrator

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Ram2500Hemi View Post
I think the lockpick is the only way to go on our newer trucks. I could be wrong though.
I agree. With a stock nav unit, this is your best bet. With aftermarket, a simple relay will do the trick. I have my Pioneer bypassed so my wife and other passengers can watch movies on trips.

2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman
Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Vararam Intake | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Toyo A/T II Tires | Bilstein 5100 Front Shocks @ 2.1" | Bilstein 5100 Rear Shocks | Movotech UCA's
Bora 1.25" Spacers | AirLift Air Bags | Bestop PowerBoards | Undercover LUX Bed Cover | BedRug

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Overland Hemi

Magnaflow Exhaust | Volant Intake | Diablo inTune w/Hemifever Tuning | BT Oil Catch Can

#7 Old 05-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Scotty-B77

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung84 View Post
I agree. With a stock nav unit, this is your best bet. With aftermarket, a simple relay will do the trick. I have my Pioneer bypassed so my wife and other passengers can watch movies on trips.
That's what I want to do with my Power Wagon. I am on the lockpick website, which one did you go with. They have a few to chose from.
#8 Old 05-28-2012, 10:54 AM
Miami_Son
Chrysler faithful

I have a Lockpick and it was the best investment so far. Complete plug-and-play and customizable. Bought it from Sonic Electronix for best price.

autolockboxes@hotmail.com
2012 Ram 1500 Sport Hemi Crew Cab 4X2
2000 Ram 2500 Laramie Sport V10 Quad Cab 4X4
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4X4
1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4X4
1986 Jeep CJ7 Laredo 4X4
1979 Dodge Power Wagon 4X4
1975 Dodge Ramcharger 4X4
1974 Plymouth Road Runner
1973 Plymouth Barracuda
1970 Dodge Coronet 440
#9 Old 05-28-2012, 12:59 PM
MeenGreen5.2
i'm blue :D

On my jensen, I just grounded it.

2010 dodge ram 5.7 sport
deep water blue pearl
BLUE
24"verde rims
stock

BLUE TRUCK CLUB MEMBER #249
Trucks and Guns member #164
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.