Lorrie Van Haul - 1967 Dodge P200 Mail Van - Part Two - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 03-09-2012, 04:21 PM
JCAllison

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Lorrie Van Haul - 1967 Dodge P200 Mail Van - Part Two

Hey All,
Welcome to the continuing odyssey of the refurbishment of Lorrie Van Haul, one of the few, if not the only 1967 Dodge P200 Mail Van still in existence.

We're right at the point of doing all that is necessary to get Lorrie's mighty 225 Slant Six Engine up and running.

In the event that you are new to this project and would like to catch up on what all has been done in the past couple of years, you will find that account in another thread on this forum titled "Lorrie Van Haul - 1967 Dodge P200 Mail Van".
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275562

It is a detailed account, complete with JPGs, of all the stuff that has gone into making Lorrie what she is today.

Tomorrow will hail the arrival of a 3/4" x 2-1/4", 16 threads per inch, Zinc Plated, Grade 5 Steel Bolt to go into the nose of Lorrie's Engine's Crankshaft making it possible to turn the Engine using a Socket and a Breaker Bar in order to distribute the AeroKroil, WD40, and 10W30 Motor Oil Cocktail that has been put into Lorrie's Combustion Chambers and on top of Lorrie's Pistons.

Once the Engine has been turned a few times, the Battery out of Ms. American 3.14159, the ONLY 1964 Ford Galaxie 500, Four-Door, Hard-Top, Fast-Back, Police Interceptor that Google finds on the whole World Wide Web, will be installed in Lorrie and we're going to see if it will turn the Engine over.

If it does, then we're going to figure out what is wrong with the Ignition System Wiring, and do whatever it takes to get the Engine to turn by using the Starter Activation Switch.

Will keep you all updated on any progress.

Hope you all are well.

JC

Lorrie Van Haul - 1967 Dodge - P200 Mail Van - 225 Slant Six - A727 Torqueflite Automatic Transmission - Right Hand Steering - HEI Ignition System - Frantz Oil Cleaner System

Last edited by mopar fan; 03-09-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-09-2012, 04:36 PM
mopar fan
Retired DT Admin

I just did a slight edit to your post Jim. I added a link to Part 1.

Name's AL

Proud Member of the Original WCPW Club
If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them.

Official Dodgetalk Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/DodgeTalk
Like us! Prize Giveaways, News, and More!!!

#3 Old 03-10-2012, 09:14 AM
JCAllison

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar fan View Post
I just did a slight edit to your post Jim. I added a link to Part 1.
Hey Al,
Thanks. Much appreciated. I just didn't think to do that.

Well, already this morning, have had quite a workout. Changed both cat litter boxes, even though it is STILL raining. That's part of the Saturday morning routine.

Am hoping that UPS delivers the 3/4" x 2-1/4", 16-UNF Bolt today. Have been visualizing its installation and the turning of Lorrie's Crankshaft. Certainly hope that the Engine isn't frozen/seized.

Anyway, thanks again for adding the link.

HIT

JC

Lorrie Van Haul - 1967 Dodge - P200 Mail Van - 225 Slant Six - A727 Torqueflite Automatic Transmission - Right Hand Steering - HEI Ignition System - Frantz Oil Cleaner System
#4 Old 03-10-2012, 05:58 PM
mopar fan
Retired DT Admin

Did UPS deliver today Jim?

Name's AL

If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them.

#5 Old 03-10-2012, 10:54 PM
charlie1935

I've been gone for a few days to Minnesota.
I would use a washer under the bolt myself.

Grouchy Old Man
Sport short bed
R&S Automotive cat back duals
SSBC slotted rotors
Tri wing tonneau cover
Ultra 50/51 16x10 wheels
265 70x16 Firestone Destination LE tires
3.55 rear
99-01 sport headlights with Silverstar bulbs
MSD coil
Fram Boost intake -Freebie. I won it
Edelbrock shocks
Yes, grandpas like toys too

87 D100 318 auto. stock

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'
#6 Old 03-11-2012, 04:24 PM
JCAllison

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Did UPS deliver today Jim?
Hey Al,
No, but it should be here tomorrow.

We've been having rain here all day. SEVERE thunderstorms. Weather guessers are reporting over three inches falling in two hours. It's not yet over as the storms are moving North North East along a front that stretches from just West of Houston to just West of here. These storms are supposed to continue through the night. We are hunkered down here.

There is a lull, so I thought I'd check the E-Mail and the Forums, but can hear thunder to the South. Can't stay on the computer while there is lightning..

Hope you are doing well.

JC

#7 Old 03-11-2012, 04:28 PM
JCAllison

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie1935 View Post
I would use a washer under the bolt myself.
Hey Charlie,
I don't know how a washer is going to hold the Damper on because the underside of the Hex Head of the Bolt isn't going to go clear to the threaded Hole in the nose of the Crankshaft, but was thinking about putting a washer INSIDE the threaded Hole to keep the threads on the Bolt from bottoming out in the Hole. Is that what you were meaning?

JC

#8 Old 03-12-2012, 07:05 AM
charlie1935

The washer should be big enough to seat on the dampener to secure it.

Grouchy Old Man
Sport short bed
SSBC slotted rotors
Tri wing tonneau cover
Ultra 50/51 16x10 wheels
3.55 rear
MSD coil
Edelbrock shocks

87 D100 318 auto. stock

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'
#9 Old 03-12-2012, 09:21 AM
JCAllison

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie1935 View Post
The washer should be big enough to seat on the dampener to secure it.
Hey Charlie,
Although it won't be known until the Bolt actually arrives here, which is expected to happen today, but I suspect that it is going to be too long to thread into the threaded Hole in the nose of the Crankshaft.

The reason that I say that is because the "Bolt Size and Tightening Information - 170, 198, & 225 Slant Six Engine" chart says that the Bolt is supposed to be 2.3" long (the Bolt that is coming is 2.25" long) with a minimum of 1.5" of thread, which implies that the threaded Hole in the nose of the Crankshaft is less than 1.5" in depth. The Bolt that is coming is threaded for the full 2.25" length.

The Damper is keyed onto the Crankshaft, and the Crankshaft nose is flush with the face of the Hub of the Damper. which means that there is going to be at least .75" between the underside of the Hex Head on the Bolt, and the nose of the Crankshaft.

Also, the Damper has quite a deep recess between the "face" of the Damper, and the Hub of the Damper.

I don't know what the diameter of the Crankshaft nose is, nor how big the Hub of the Damper is, but what I'm thinking is that once I'm into the process, all that will be revealed.

Probably the solution is to find out what the diameter of the Crankshaft nose is and get a bunch of washers that are bigger than that with .75" holes in them, and then just make a stack of them that is greater than the distance between the underside of the Hex Head on the Bolt and the nose of the Crankshaft.

Another thing that has to be done is to make sure that the threaded Hole in the nose of the Crankshaft is completely clean of any material that may have gotten into the threaded Hole over the years. Am going to clean it using a roll of Terry Cloth, soaked in solvent and then threaded into the hole to clean the bore.

Will keep you all updated as progress occurs.

JC

#10 Old 03-12-2012, 04:07 PM
JCAllison

(Thread Starter)
Hey All,
Have you ever heard the expression: "This is like a piece of mule meat! The more you chew on it the bigger it gets!"?

That's an old Texas saying meaning that the more one works on something, the bigger the job becomes.

Permit me to explain.

At about 2:00 p.m. the UPS Delivery Van pulls up, and the UPS Delivery Man hands me this little box. The box is opened, and there inside is this handsome, young 3/4" x 2-1/4" Fine Thread, Zinc Plated, Grade 5 Steel Bolt with a 1-1/8" Hex Head.

Eagerly it is taken out of it's plastic sack, taken to the Tool Box to get the Breaker Bar, and a 1-1/8" Socket with which to install it in the threaded Hole in the nose of Lorrie's mighty 225 Slant-Six Engine.

There is a 1-3/16" Socket, and a 1-5/16" Socket, but no 1-1/4" Socket!

Damn! I hate it when that happens.

But not to worry, there is this Big Mama Crescent Wrench (BMCW) that opens to 1-5/16" and though it is not the best way to do things, it will have to suffice.

So Lorrie is all ready with a large piece of Cardboard on the ground under her front end on which to lie to keep from getting muddy.

The Threaded Hole in the nose of Lorrie's Crankshaft has been cleaned with a solvent soaked rag wrapped around a 1/2" Bolt which was inserted and turned into the Threaded Hole in the nose of Lorrie's Crankshaft to clean the Threads.

The 3/4" Bolt is started into the Threaded Hole, and the first thing that is noted is that the Transmission Cooling Hoses connected to the Radiator are in the way of being able to put the BMCW on the Bolt. A Screw Driver is acquired, and the Hose Clamps are loosened, and the Hoses are removed and put up out of the way.

With gloved hands, the BMCW is put on the Head of the Bolt and the task of tightening it commences. It doesn't go in easily, but it IS going in. It gets tighter and tighter, and harder and harder to turn.

All of a sudden, Lorrie's mighty 225 Slant-Six Engine's Crankshaft turns!

HOORAY! The Engine is NOT seized up!

So the BMCW is repositioned and another few degrees of rotation are accomplished.

BUT, the Fan Blades are also beginning to turn because the Damper has a Fan Belt around it that goes to the Fan Pulley, then to the Alternator Pulley, and then back to the Damper.

And NOW begins the mule meat problems.

The Bolt isn't far enough into the Crankshaft for the Fan Blades to clear the Bolt Head. But not to worry, the Fan Blades can be pushed back, because the Fan Belt permits the Fan Pulley to slip. BUT, remember, the initial purpose of this whole exercise was to see if Lorrie's Engine was frozen, and as was noted previously, it is NOT.

So rather than continue with this procedure, it was decided to remove the 3/4" Bolt.

Alas, the Bolt won't come out!

Instead, the Engine begins to turn in the opposite direction and there's no way to stop it from so doing.

At this point, it is decided to just stop, and retreat, leaving the situation the way it is, and seek some quiet time to ponder what to do in order to accomplish this task properly.

And here is what that pondering has produced:

Need to acquire a 1-1/8" Socket.
Need to remove Lorrie's Front Bumper.
Need to remove Lorrie's Grille.
Need to remove Lorrie's Radiator.
This will give unrestricted access the the front of the Engine.
The Bolt can then be removed using the Impact Wrench.
This will also make it easier to turn the Engine over to distribute the oil that was put into the Combustion Chambers and Cylinder Bores.

So this is where the situation sits at the moment.

If anyone has an easier way to remove the Bolt, it would most certainly be appreciated.

If not, then tomorrow morning, before it gets up to 80 degrees as it is right now, the above delineated work will commence.

But at least, we know that Lorrie's mighty 225 Slant-Six is not dead.

I just have to ask the question again as has been asked many times before: "Why can't anything be easy?"

Hope you all are well.

JC

Last edited by JCAllison; 03-14-2012 at 01:52 PM.
#11 Old 03-12-2012, 05:46 PM
JCAllison

(Thread Starter)
Hey All,
In a orgy of super-human effort, Lorrie Van Haul's Front Bumper and Grille were removed this evening.

Also, the Radiator has been taken loose except for the Bottom Hose, which has had its Clamp uninstalled, but the Hose itself is stuck on the Radiator Outlet Tube.

Removal of the Radiator it is going to have to wait till tomorrow when there's more energy to deal with the situation.

Will keep you all updated as events occur.

JC

#12 Old 03-13-2012, 10:28 AM
JCAllison

(Thread Starter)
Hey All,
Already this morning, have cleaned up the area around the front end of Lorrie Van Haul, and have taken the Radiator out. Had to cut the Bottom Hose off of the Radiator Outlet Tube. Then had to cut the Top of the Bottom Hose in order to get it off of the Water Pump Outlet. Will take the Hose to NAPA and get a replacement for it at the same time that the 1-1/8" Socket is acquired.

Was hoping to do that today, but the sky has gotten dark, and it looks as though it's going to rain some more, so that pretty much puts the kabosh on getting out.

BUT, am finding that having a clearly defined job is conducive to being eager to do it.

Yesterday while awaiting the arrival of the Bolt, some checking on the Electrical Circuitry was done. Found that there were some Circuits that didn't have continuity. Took one of them apart and cleaned the surfaces and that fixed the problem. Am thinking that once again corrosion has reared its ugly head. The Fittings are Copper. The Connectors are Steel.

QUESTION: Will Dielectric Grease prevent this corrosion without interrupting the flow of the electricity? Am thinking that if it will, then all the electrical will be taken apart, cleaned, and reassembled with a thin film of Dielectric Grease on the Connector.

Am also thinking that taking the Starter Relay out of the Ignition Circuitry. That will make things a bit easier. Lorrie didn't have a Starter Relay in her when this refurbishment was begun, and it has never been quite clear where all the Wires were to go. A fellow over at FordMuscleForum seemed to be quite positive about it, and so it was hooked up the way he directed, but still, I'M not sure about it. It seems that it would be a lot simpler to just have the Starter Switch be connected directly to the Starter Solenoid like it was before the Starter Relay was added.

Anyway, will keep you all informed if and when progress occurs.

BTW, this time change sure does mess a lot of things up. Wish they would just leave it alone.

JC

#13 Old 03-13-2012, 11:41 AM
mopar fan
Retired DT Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCAllison View Post
QUESTION: Will Dielectric Grease prevent this corrosion without interrupting the flow of the electricity? Am thinking that if it will, then all the electrical will be taken apart, cleaned, and reassembled with a thin film of Dielectric Grease on the Connector.

By all means use it on your electrical connections. Like you said, use a light film and it will work wonders.I used it on my boat and dirt bike all the time.

Name's AL

#14 Old 03-13-2012, 01:11 PM
JCAllison

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
By all means use it on your electrical connections. Like you said, use a light film and it will work wonders.I used it on my boat and dirt bike all the time.
Hey Al,
When last at the NAPA in Livingston, asked for "Dielectric Grease". Just got out the package, and it says: "Dielectric Silicone Compound". It says that it protects connections from contamination, moisture, dirt, and corrosion. Is THAT the same as "Dielectric Grease"?

Anyway, there has been made a magnum leap in the Bolt in Lorrie's Crankshaft Nose Caper. Am going to give it its own post.

It hasn't rained here yet.

JC

#15 Old 03-13-2012, 01:23 PM
mopar fan
Retired DT Admin

Quote:
Hey Al,
When last at the NAPA in Livingston, asked for "Dielectric Grease". Just got out the package, and it says: "Dielectric Silicone Compound". It says that it protects connections from contamination, moisture, dirt, and corrosion. Is THAT the same as "Dielectric Grease"?
I'm almost 100% sure it's one in the same. As long as it looks like a light grease and not putty, you will be fine.

Name's AL

#16 Old 03-13-2012, 01:47 PM
JCAllison

(Thread Starter)
Hey All,
The stuck Bolt is out of the Threaded Hole in the Nose of Lorrie Van Haul's Crankshaft!

Got it unstuck by using the Big Mama Crescent Wrench (BMCW) and a medium sized Ball Peen Hammer.

Remember, it was previously reported that the threads in the Hole had been cleaned? NOT!

It actually took removing the Radiator, and a little over an hour of messing with it to actually clean the threads completely.

Started with a Tooth Brush and Paint Thinner.

Then used some CRC Industrial Super Degreaser, and more Tooth Brush to clean out the residue.

Then threaded in a paint thinner soaked piece of rolled up Terry Cloth, and then more Tooth Brush.

Then started threading in rolled up Viva Paper Towel soaked in Paint thinner, and more Tooth Brush.

Then when it appeared to be totally clean, put some WD40 in the hole and started threading in the Bolt.

Got about one turn and the Bolt got hard to turn with the BMCW, so ran the Bolt back and forth as if one were using a Tap. Got about another turn of the Bolt and then removed it.

Cleaned out the hole with the Tooth Brush and dried it with a Viva Paper Towel.

Sprayed in some more WD40, and the Bolt went in another turn before getting hard to turn. Worked it back and forth like a TAP and got another turn out of it.

Again cleaned out the hole with the Tooth Brush and dried it with a Viva Paper Towel.

And this routine continued till NOW, the Bolt can be turned BY FINGERS a full 13.25 turns before it bottoms out in the hole.

At 16 threads per inch, that means that the Bolt goes in 13.25/16".

When fully threaded in, the Fan Blades clear the Hex Head by about an 1/8", and there is room for a 3/8" thick Washer between the bottom side of the Bolt's Hex Head, and the face of the Damper.

Am still going to get a 1-1/8" Socket (and a NEW Bottom Heater Hose) to do the turning of the Engine to get the lubricant in the Combustion Chambers and Cylinder Bores distributed. BUT, either the Fan or the Fan Belt is going to have to be removed to do this as the Fan Blades won't clear the 1-1/8" Socket and Breaker Bar being used to turn the Engine.

Anyway, the weather is supposed to clear up tonight, and the trip to Livingston will probably be made tomorrow.

Bit-by-bit. Little-by-little.

JC

#17 Old 03-13-2012, 02:01 PM
JCAllison

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I'm almost 100% sure it's one in the same. As long as it looks like a light grease and not putty, you will be fine.
Hey Al,
Just opened the package, and it is a clear stuff about the consistency of Miracle Whip! I think it will be fine.

Anyway, here it is almost 2:00 p.m. and it feels like about 1:00 p.m.

Am going to go take a nappie.

JC

#18 Old 03-13-2012, 02:10 PM
mopar fan
Retired DT Admin

Quote:
Hey Al,
Just opened the package, and it is a clear stuff about the consistency of Miracle Whip! I think it will be fine.
Yep, your good to go!

Name's AL

#19 Old 03-13-2012, 03:12 PM
charlie1935

Quote:
Hey Al,

JC
Yep. I use that stuff on all electrical connections. Light bulb bases, plug wires on both ends and any harness connections I have to have apart for any reason.

Grouchy Old Man
Sport short bed
SSBC slotted rotors
Tri wing tonneau cover
Ultra 50/51 16x10 wheels
3.55 rear
MSD coil
Edelbrock shocks

87 D100 318 auto. stock

#20 Old 03-13-2012, 05:11 PM
JCAllison

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Yep, your good to go!
Hey Al,
Alright.

Am planning on heading for Livingston first thing tomorrow morning.

Will let you know how thing go.

JC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.