2005 caravan will turn over but won't start - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Vehicle Forums > Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan Talk > Dodge Caravan General Talk

Closed Thread

Campingman

2005 caravan will turn over but won't start - Posted: 02-26-2012, 03:20 PM
State: ON
Post #1

Hello,
My 05 Caravan suddenly will not start. I noticed that there was no spark so I checked the coil voltage and all there was, was .5 vdc. I have diagnosed it to the ASD relay not getting a ground signal from the Power train control modual. All fuses are good and Ive swapped around the relays to ensure it was not faulty. I know the crank position sensor works as I see RMP (approx 170 while starting) with OBDII code reader on live analisis. If I supply a ground to the relay it'll energize and I can start my van and it'll run normally. What could be my issue? Is it the PCM or the Intergrated Power control modual? There no apparent corrosion and all wire appears intact when I do continuity checks. Not sure if or what triggers the PCM to supply the ground.
Please advise. Thank-you

Campingman
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

no_common_sense

Posted: 02-26-2012, 04:10 PM
State: WI
Post #2

When you supplied ground to the relay, did you ground the control side or the switch side? Did you look for a cam sensor signal? The PCM needs to see both the crank AND cam sensor inputs or it won't energize the ASD relay. IIRC, the only time the PCM even uses the cam signal is at startup.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Campingman

Posted: 02-29-2012, 05:45 PM
State: ON
Post #3

Hello,
All signals are present. the van runs perfect and I have been driving it since. If it were the cam sensor injectors would not work would it? The cam sensor is working as the OBD II code reader was seeing it and the tach on dash displays it. I have come to the conclusion that either a diode, transistor or a portion of a chip has failed but the latter is not likely.
I inquired with the dealer with respect to computer cost and concluded that at a min price of $600 to a max of $1200 before labour and shop fees for the computer was a little on the rediculous side. My I-pod has more computing power than the one in the van which in all honesty costs no more than $60 in materials
Currently I have built my own circuit using a relay, a few resistors and a transisitor. I'm using the fuel injector relay as a trigger for the transistor, which energizes the relay I've installed which inturn suplies a ground to the ASD relay.
All in all a $20 solution to fix my problem. I realize that the computer may fail at any point or may last until I retire the van but if I managed to get a month or so out of it, it's more than paid for itself. I plan to install a surge filter on the DC line as I have noticed power surges (lights dimming and returning to normal) since I have owned this van. It could have been the cause, who knows?
Anyway thank you for the response. If anyone would like to know deals of my repair let me know.

Cheers!

Last edited by Campingman : 03-01-2012 at 05:32 PM.

Ratchet75

Posted: 02-29-2012, 06:11 PM
State: CA
Post #4

There's many less expensive sources for PCMs. Believe it or not even Autozone sells them. For your 05 they're charging around $300. They come reprogrammed and ready for install.

I'd bet your Ipod has more computing power then the lunar lander had.

Circuit details? Sure thing. Let us know when you get a chance. Pics?

Haven't heard anyone bring up a surge filter for lighting flickers over the years. Great idea. It's a problem plaguing many.

Last edited by Ratchet75 : 02-29-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Closed Thread