2003 Caravan-Sound from transmission as I slow down... - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 02-14-2012, 02:51 PM
kanny

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2003 Caravan-Sound from transmission as I slow down...

A clunk sound comes from the transmission when my 2003 Grand Caravan slows down... could you please tell me what could be wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-15-2012, 06:34 PM
no_common_sense

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
What engine do you have and how many miles are on the van?

I do have an immediate suspicion if your van has over 150,000 miles (241,400 kilometers) on it and that would be the front motor mount and rear trans mount have failed. It's a very common failure for the 01-07 generation. Try rocking the motor back and forth with your hands. If it rocks really easy, both mounts are bad. If it doesn't rock, there's still a good chance at least one mount is shot and the other is not far behind. The rubber tends to separate from the aluminum as they age and the mounts may not initially look so bad if you don't pay attention to where the aluminum and the rubber bonds. Especially at the cores with the bolt holes.

Last edited by no_common_sense; 02-15-2012 at 07:00 PM.
#3 Old 02-15-2012, 08:41 PM
kanny

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_common_sense View Post
What engine do you have and how many miles are on the van?

I do have an immediate suspicion if your van has over 150,000 miles (241,400 kilometers) on it and that would be the front motor mount and rear trans mount have failed. It's a very common failure for the 01-07 generation. Try rocking the motor back and forth with your hands. If it rocks really easy, both mounts are bad. If it doesn't rock, there's still a good chance at least one mount is shot and the other is not far behind. The rubber tends to separate from the aluminum as they age and the mounts may not initially look so bad if you don't pay attention to where the aluminum and the rubber bonds. Especially at the cores with the bolt holes.
Hi. Thanks for your help. It has only 107 000 km, and the engine is 3.3 litres 2003 model. The engine mounts would not rock, they are okay. When I put it on D (drive), it makes a clunking noise, and when i put it in 3, it does not make a noise... when I am cruising on 70+km and I slow down to 20km-30km, it makes a clunking noise. Thanks.
#4 Old 02-16-2012, 01:37 PM
no_common_sense

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm out of good ideas for you but I'm guessing there could be electronic problems with a shift solenoid. This is a more obscure problem, but I've seen chrysler transmissions with check balls can slam the separator plates in the valve bodies to a point where the plate distorts the orifice it's supposed to be metering for shift feel. Start with the basics though and look at the color, level, and condition of your fluid and maybe have the pan and filter dropped for inspection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.