2003 Caravan-Sound from transmission as I slow down... - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP DODGETALK MERCHANDISE ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Vehicle Forums > Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan Talk > Dodge Caravan General Talk

Closed Thread

kanny

2003 Caravan-Sound from transmission as I slow down... - Posted: 02-14-2012, 01:51 PM
State: QC
Post #1

A clunk sound comes from the transmission when my 2003 Grand Caravan slows down... could you please tell me what could be wrong?
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

no_common_sense

Posted: 02-15-2012, 05:34 PM
State: WI
Post #2

What engine do you have and how many miles are on the van?

I do have an immediate suspicion if your van has over 150,000 miles (241,400 kilometers) on it and that would be the front motor mount and rear trans mount have failed. It's a very common failure for the 01-07 generation. Try rocking the motor back and forth with your hands. If it rocks really easy, both mounts are bad. If it doesn't rock, there's still a good chance at least one mount is shot and the other is not far behind. The rubber tends to separate from the aluminum as they age and the mounts may not initially look so bad if you don't pay attention to where the aluminum and the rubber bonds. Especially at the cores with the bolt holes.

Last edited by no_common_sense : 02-15-2012 at 06:00 PM.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

kanny

Posted: 02-15-2012, 07:41 PM
State: QC
Post #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_common_sense View Post
What engine do you have and how many miles are on the van?

I do have an immediate suspicion if your van has over 150,000 miles (241,400 kilometers) on it and that would be the front motor mount and rear trans mount have failed. It's a very common failure for the 01-07 generation. Try rocking the motor back and forth with your hands. If it rocks really easy, both mounts are bad. If it doesn't rock, there's still a good chance at least one mount is shot and the other is not far behind. The rubber tends to separate from the aluminum as they age and the mounts may not initially look so bad if you don't pay attention to where the aluminum and the rubber bonds. Especially at the cores with the bolt holes.
Hi. Thanks for your help. It has only 107 000 km, and the engine is 3.3 litres 2003 model. The engine mounts would not rock, they are okay. When I put it on D (drive), it makes a clunking noise, and when i put it in 3, it does not make a noise... when I am cruising on 70+km and I slow down to 20km-30km, it makes a clunking noise. Thanks.

no_common_sense

Posted: 02-16-2012, 12:37 PM
State: WI
Post #4

I'm out of good ideas for you but I'm guessing there could be electronic problems with a shift solenoid. This is a more obscure problem, but I've seen chrysler transmissions with check balls can slam the separator plates in the valve bodies to a point where the plate distorts the orifice it's supposed to be metering for shift feel. Start with the basics though and look at the color, level, and condition of your fluid and maybe have the pan and filter dropped for inspection.
Closed Thread