2004 Stratus 4dr - power window problems - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP DODGETALK MERCHANDISE ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Vehicle Forums > Dodge Stratus Talk > Dodge Stratus 2nd Gen (01 - 06) > 2G Dodge Stratus - General Talk

Closed Thread

SME

2004 Stratus 4dr - power window problems - Posted: 01-23-2012, 07:25 PM
City: near Charlotte, NC
State: NC
Post #1

2004 Stratus, 4 Door

Lowered right front window – would not raise. However, it would continue to go down.

Removed door panel, removed window switch (right front), opened it and cleaned, then replaced.

Same problem.

Removed driver’s door panel, removed master window switch, cleaned the contacts and replaced with no improvement. Noticed that both rear windows would lower slowly when using the driver’s switch but not raise at all – but the left rear window WOULD go back up (very slowly) if you used the left rear door switch. [AHA moment!] The problem must be the master switch.

Picked up a master switch from the parts store (they agreed to let me give it a try and return it if it didn’t work). Plugged that cottonpicker in and sure enough! Same old stuff – right front would not raise, but the left rear would – only very slowly. Same slow up and down on the right rear. Driver’s window moves nicely (as had been the case since this mess started). I have now taken the master switch back to the parts store and am still sitting here scratching my head, wondering what to try next.

Here are some things that I picked up online (right or wrong, I’m not sure).

Since the right front moves down, the problem should not be the motor.

For the same reason, the problem shouldn’t be in the right front switch.

I should apply 12V directly to the window motor, but I couldn’t see how to disconnect the wiring from the motor. If I had a wiring diagram for the switches, it is possible that I may be able to figure out which wire is supposed to have a current when, but I wouldn’t bet my life on that either.

Somewhere I read that I should peel back the rubber boot (at the door hinges) and look for broken wires, but after doing so, I couldn’t figure out how to get the boot back in place. BTW, I didn’t see any broken wires and if current is still getting to the motor to lower the glass (right front), wouldn’t that be an indication that the wiring is good?

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know – I’m not the greatest mechanic, but being unemployed for an extended period of time makes you try things that you really don’t know about.

Thanks in advance.

UPDATE 01-25-2012:

I do have a bit of further information regarding this problem. I haven’t figured out exactly what the problem is, but at least I got the window up. I had read on the internet that you can get your window to go up (if the window motor isn’t bad) by attaching a 12 volt power source to it. Of course, I didn’t have a clue how to do it. But after figuring out what wires were connected when the passenger door switch was pushed into the up and down position, I gave it a try. Maybe my discovery will help someone else. These wire colors are for the 2004 Stratus and could possibly work for other years and models.

After removing the door panel and window switch (here again, this was for the right front window), you can use the socket that was attached to the door switch to see if the window motor is shot. Using a 12 volt power source (like a car battery), apply the positive lead to the solid brown wire (or to the pin in the socket where the solid brown wire is connected). Touch the negative lead for the solid purple wire. Hopefully, this will raise the window for you.

To make the window lower, just reverse the process and apply the positive lead to the solid purple wire and the negative lead to the solid brown wire.

If you don’t get any window movement, there is a good chance that your window motor is gone. Sorry if this is an elementary explanation, but these are the kind of instructions that I normally need.

Last edited by SME : 01-25-2012 at 08:34 PM. Reason: UPDATE
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

StandOnCliff

Posted: 01-28-2012, 12:16 PM
City: Dreary Erie
State: PA
Post #2

When any vehicles do this, just disconnect the two wire connector on the window motor itself. Then use a 12 volt source to do the same thing. That's all the switch does, is reverse polarity to the motor.
By disconneting the motor and applying the 12 volt source directly to the motor, you lesson your chances of frying anything in the electrical system.
To me it sounds as though you have a faulty ground. It's still getting a little ground, which is why they lower slowly, but not enough ground to raise them. G203 in the wiring diagram. You'll most likely find this ground somewhere behind the drivers side kick panel. You could also have a faulty body ground coming off the battery.

Heres some wiring diagrams to help you out.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf power-windows-1-of-1.pdf (38.3 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by StandOnCliff : 01-28-2012 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Changed pdf to four window model wiring diagram instead of two window
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

blk02stratusRT

re - Posted: 01-29-2012, 11:57 PM
State: IN
Post #3

had the same problem except with the rear passenger window ( have an 02 2.7 liter rt.) I had a double problem though. My locks would only unlock i had to lock them manually, plus the window went down one day and i had to have it set. I eventually had to have a new motor for that window plus the main switch (idk technical term for it) had to be replaced it went bad, i have found a lot of ppl have had problems like this. just wanted to share

SME

Posted: 01-30-2012, 09:06 AM
City: near Charlotte, NC
State: NC
Post #4

Thanks for the wiring diagram - it helps to have some idea what is supposed to be going on. I had read about disconnecting the window motor and testing it directly with a 12V source and attempted to do that. Unless I just absolutely missed something, I couldn't see a reasonable way to do it without taking the motor out of the door. I could disconnect the wiring right at the motor, but then couldn't see how to connect the 12V source to the pins that were still inside the door - so, being afraid of shorting the power source, I just applied the power to the wiring that was disconnected from the window switch. Thanks for your reply.
Closed Thread