How to: Add the power wagon winch! - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

sony224422

How to: Add the power wagon winch! - Posted: 01-09-2012, 08:29 PM
State: CT
Post #1

First off, I am going to say that i am in no way responsible for damage or.. divorces!

First off.. do a happy dance that you finally scored one of the most bad a$$ set ups

Next, make sure you have everything. I was confused as to why i got those other sets of brackets. I didn't put them on at first. Big mistake. Those are reinforcement for the frame and bumper and tow hooks, and also make the bracket with the fair leads sit in the right position. If you don't use them, the fairlead bracket won't fit. its too short from the center to the frame.

What it will look like before you start.. atleast for me!

After all that, get ready for some fun. I didn't get the bolts that went through the frame to hold on the brackets so i went to the hardware store and got 1/2-13 grade 8 bolts that were 4 inches long. I also got elastic stop nuts and fender washers.

If you read the install manual for putting on the winch, you will see they tell you to take off the front bumper. Well, looking at it all, i didn't see a reason to do so. So i didn't. What i did was do the brackets one side at a time.

Remove your plastic cover thing thats in between the tow hooks. Then remove the tow hook NUTs, but i chose to leave the bolts in for mine so that i didn't have to realign 4 things at once. Do one side at a time. Remove the bolts that hold the bumper support on. They go in these holes here.

AS LONG AS YOU ONLY DO ONE SIDE AT A TIME, your bumper will only "fall down a couple inches. Just use common sense that you aren't gonna get crushed or rip out wires or anything. My fogs were fine.

Put your new brackets on for reinforcement, and also the brackets that the winch cradle will sit on.
Brackets on

And cradle mount bracket

After those brackets are on, push your bumper back up to where it was and tighten the bolts down all the way. You can also tighten down your tow hooks back up

Move on to the other side and do the same thing. Once your brackets are on and the brackets are tight, you can put the winch cradle on. Its easier to get it on from going under the truck and dropping back down on the brackets. Use those bolts on the top to adjust the side to side, and when you've got it where you want, you can go ahead and tighten those down too.

Get the winch on a jack, and call a friend. No seriously, call someone to help you. I tried for an hour to get it where i wanted and it was still not exact until i had some help. It was so much easier with 2 people and the jack.

Get it up from under the truck, and try to get it as close as possible with the jack. There are 4 bolts that hold the winch on the cradle. Try to get the winch as close to those bolt holes before lifting it into place. Its heavy. I think i read its over 100 lbs.

Get the bolts in and tighten them down, and pull your cable without the hook on it through the fair leads and out the front of your bumper.

Finally, attach your tow hook and the battery connections and test out your new winch!

Put your winch hook on the tow hook when not in use

I'm sure i forgot something, or said something wrong, but this is the gist. I love mine so far. Its awesome!

Back rack with whelen freedom 2 light bar (custom made by me with extras) Whelen Par 36 aircraft landing lights behind the grill, Whelen par 36 spot lights for reverse lights, Whelen strip lights in the bed (6 in total), Whelen cencom to control everything
In bed tool box with lights and extra battery with isolator and also a solenoid to connect both batteries together if i need to
Color matched grill,
Fox box with 2 diamond d3 12's with Diamond d3 600.1 amp
SRT-10 a pillar with trans temp gauge
Mag-tec trans pan
Superchips 3865 with trans tuning
Nitto trail grapplers
POWER WAGON WINCH SET UP
Alpine ina-w900bt with reverse camera
Alpine type r 2 ways in the doors powered by alpine pdx-f4
steering box brace
sound deading
Big 3 done with 4 gauge
E-fan
POR-15 the frame and under body
Jimmy jammers
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

steev0

Posted: 01-09-2012, 08:37 PM
State: NJ
Post #2

very awesome. i was considering that at one point but then i realized if i were to do it i would be getting calls every night from friends asking me to pull them out of places. i hope you enjoy it!

Exterior/Suspension:
5in procomp lift, Carli Adjustable Track Bar, Pure Performance Sway Bar End Links, Bilstein Gas Shocks, 08.5 Steering Upgrade, Moog Ball Joints, 20in Chrome Xd Rockstars on 37/13.5/20 Nitto Mud Grapplers, Color Matched Bushwacker Pocket Style Flares, Carr Hoop Steps, Westin Bull Bar, Cheap Chrome Handle Covers, Recon Clear Cab Lights, 8000k H.I.D. with Recon Projector Headlights, Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Recon L.E.D. tail lights

Performance:
Superchips Cortex, Airraid Intake, Magnaflow Muffler, DMH 3in Exhaust cutout, Soon to be 4.56 gears front and rear

Interior:
Doubledin Radio Bezel with Pioneer 4300dvd touchscreen headunit, 2 Jl12w6 subs powered by Hifonics 2000Watt Amp, 0 Gauge Wire Upgrade from alternator to battery and all grounds, Power locks and Windows (finally)
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

sony224422

Posted: 01-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Post #3

thanks! i will be helping my friends and whoever, but i always wanted a winch and this deal was too good to give up!

Back rack with whelen freedom 2 light bar (custom made by me with extras) Whelen Par 36 aircraft landing lights behind the grill, Whelen par 36 spot lights for reverse lights, Whelen strip lights in the bed (6 in total), Whelen cencom to control everything
In bed tool box with lights and extra battery with isolator and also a solenoid to connect both batteries together if i need to
Color matched grill,
Mag-tec trans pan
Nitto trail grapplers
POWER WAGON WINCH SET UP
steering box brace
sound deading
Big 3 done with 4 gauge
E-fan
Jimmy jammers

ramman1

Posted: 02-09-2012, 03:27 PM
Mopar Or No Car!
City: Way Upstate
State: NY
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #4

WHere did you get the whole setup? Or did you get it seperately and piece it together??

2006 Ram 2500 Sport QC 4x4 5.7
yes im going backwards in time..
Couple of Jeeps too..
Gone but not forgotten...

2010 Ram 1500 5.7 Black Crew Cab TRX Offroad 4x4 3.92
2003 DODGE RAM 5.7L QC 20's 3.92 LSD 4x4
Silver Truck Club Member # 12
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 RC long Bed 4x4
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 QC Sport 4x4
1987 Dodge Power Ram RC 4x4
1985 Dodge Ram W350 RC 4x4 Snow Commander Pkg

zaxpw

Posted: 02-09-2012, 05:04 PM
State: CO
Post #5

while you have it laying out on the ground, it might be a good idea to do the thermal by-pass as well if it's a factory dodge winch rather than just the warn

sony224422

Posted: 02-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Post #6

I got it all together. A guy bought his power wagon and at the dealer they took it off and put on a snow plow. It came from canada. It's awesome I've used it a few times now. Still has the "wow" factor on everyone

Color matched grill,
Mag-tec trans pan
Nitto trail grapplers
POWER WAGON WINCH SET UP
steering box brace
sound deading
Big 3 done with 4 gauge
E-fan
Jimmy jammers

MonsoonMike

Posted: 02-09-2012, 08:16 PM
Formally 07MegaCabRam
City: Chandler
State: AZ
Post #7

This mount would be 100 times stronger if you used the right grade bolts and used the right shank length..

::2014 Ram 2500 CTD Crew Cab Granite Crystal Metallic::

silverhemidan

Posted: 02-09-2012, 09:28 PM
Silverhemidan
City: Harrison Twp.
State: MI
View This User's Gallery
Post #8

so,it(a power wagon winch) would bolt right up to my 04 2500 without any modifications(with proper mounting hardware)...

Silver Truck Club Member#127

2004 2500 Hemi - Off-Road Pkg.w/4.56's
6" Lift PP Long Arms/Coils/Bilstein 5160's/ Dynatrac free spin hubs/Dynaloc hubs/spicer axle ujoints,
Carli Ball Joints/Carli deaver 4" leaf springs/Thuren Shackles/Carli Long Travel Air Bags
37x12.5x17 Cooper STT's/XD Enduros
n-fab step bars with Line-X
MagnaFlow (#14329)/Superchips
20% tinted windows Don Thuren steering stabilizer True Flow CAI
Tonneau cover/Husky liners/4-channel Amp/
Rockford sub/ Panasonic HU/kenwood speakers Hella 500's behind grill/Wheel Liners/Bushwacker Pocket style flares/Aeroforce Interceptor/BD Steering Box Stabilizer/steering upgrade,Carli Trackbar/ retrofit projectors,infiniti FX35 projectors,shaved,black matte paint,6k,from Unique Coatings.

sony224422

Posted: 02-09-2012, 09:33 PM
Post #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08QuadCTD View Post
This mount would be 100 times stronger if you used the right grade bolts and used the right shank length..
Yes you're right. the grade 8 bolts i used are not strong enough. sorry not everyone is perfect like you. really, do you criticize everyone? oh wait, no my bolts are perfectly fine seeing that i have used the winch a few times already and had zero problems. Not to mention they are the same ones dodge uses. So again, I must ask, what exactly are you talking about? Or are you just trying to stir something up again, as i see you always do and rarely post helpful posts anymore. You need to stop talking down to people, and more importantly, stop talking about things you don't know about.

Color matched grill,
Mag-tec trans pan
Nitto trail grapplers
POWER WAGON WINCH SET UP
steering box brace
sound deading
Big 3 done with 4 gauge
E-fan
Jimmy jammers

sony224422

Posted: 02-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Post #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhemidan View Post
so,it(a power wagon winch) would bolt right up to my 04 2500 without any modifications(with proper mounting hardware)...
Yes it will. And that GRADE 8 bolts i used are the same ones dodge uses. Just not 16$ a bolt. Pay no attention to 08quadctd. he apparently thinks hes better than everyone else. i see him in so many posts trying to be top dog.

Color matched grill,
Mag-tec trans pan
Nitto trail grapplers
POWER WAGON WINCH SET UP
steering box brace
sound deading
Big 3 done with 4 gauge
E-fan
Jimmy jammers

zaxpw

Posted: 02-10-2012, 11:39 AM
Post #11

so not taking sides or trying to put you down, but why did you use such long bolts? i counted something like 16 washers on the one bolt?

sony224422

Posted: 02-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Post #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaxpw View Post
so not taking sides or trying to put you down, but why did you use such long bolts? i counted something like 16 washers on the one bolt?
Well if 08quadctd had actually known how this mounts or taken the time to look, you'd see that those are bolts that were on my tow hooks from when I tried to make my own brackets for a winch. I was going to use those at an attachment point and they are no longer that long. Even when they were they were for the sole purpose of holding the hooks on bc they are a pain in the ass to swap bolts. So I used the washers to simulate metal and see what clearance issues I'd have

Color matched grill,
Mag-tec trans pan
Nitto trail grapplers
POWER WAGON WINCH SET UP
steering box brace
sound deading
Big 3 done with 4 gauge
E-fan
Jimmy jammers

ramman1

Posted: 02-10-2012, 12:32 PM
Mopar Or No Car!
Post #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sony224422 View Post
I got it all together. A guy bought his power wagon and at the dealer they took it off and put on a snow plow. It came from canada. It's awesome I've used it a few times now. Still has the "wow" factor on everyone
Thats awesome dude- do u mind saying how much u shelled out? Did u find it on EGay or something? lol Just wondering cause its probably not often a guy buys a power wagon and puts a plow on it!

Couple of Jeeps too..

sony224422

Posted: 02-10-2012, 12:34 PM
Post #14

I got it for $1000 off of kijji or whatever that site is haha. His son happened to live 35 mins from me so it worked out perfect

Color matched grill,
Mag-tec trans pan
Nitto trail grapplers
POWER WAGON WINCH SET UP
steering box brace
sound deading
Big 3 done with 4 gauge
E-fan
Jimmy jammers

ramman1

Posted: 02-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Mopar Or No Car!
Post #15

Quote:
I got it for $1000 off of kijji or whatever that site is haha. His son happened to live 35 mins from me so it worked out perfect
Wow good deal man

Couple of Jeeps too..

silverhemidan

Posted: 02-10-2012, 06:47 PM
Silverhemidan
City: Harrison Twp.
State: MI
View This User's Gallery
Post #16

Hmmm,I was just asked if I was interested in one.
One is brand new and one is used.
where would I get the mounting hardware from,if its not included ?

Silver Truck Club Member#127

2004 2500 Hemi - Off-Road Pkg.w/4.56's
6" Lift PP Long Arms/Coils/Bilstein 5160's/ Dynatrac free spin hubs/Dynaloc hubs/spicer axle ujoints,
Carli Ball Joints/Carli deaver 4" leaf springs/Thuren Shackles/Carli Long Travel Air Bags
37x12.5x17 Cooper STT's/XD Enduros
n-fab step bars with Line-X
MagnaFlow (#14329)/Superchips
20% tinted windows Don Thuren steering stabilizer True Flow CAI
Tonneau cover/Husky liners/4-channel Amp/
Rockford sub/ Panasonic HU/kenwood speakers Hella 500's behind grill/Wheel Liners/Bushwacker Pocket style flares/Aeroforce Interceptor/BD Steering Box Stabilizer/steering upgrade,Carli Trackbar/ retrofit projectors,infiniti FX35 projectors,shaved,black matte paint,6k,from Unique Coatings.

ramman1

Posted: 02-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Mopar Or No Car!
Post #17

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhemidan View Post
Hmmm,I was just asked if I was interested in one.
One is brand new and one is used.
where would I get the mounting hardware from,if its not included ?

I would think the stealership could order u all the necessary parts for mounting. If not get a hold of a PW FSM and look up the parts #s. Thats what i would do.

Couple of Jeeps too..

sony224422

Posted: 02-10-2012, 09:43 PM
Post #18

Unique ink.. I like it.
As for hardware.. Local hardware store should have the grade 8 stuff you need

Color matched grill,
Mag-tec trans pan
Nitto trail grapplers
POWER WAGON WINCH SET UP
steering box brace
sound deading
Big 3 done with 4 gauge
E-fan
Jimmy jammers

MADBRAD

Posted: 02-10-2012, 11:59 PM
MADBRAD
City: Brighton
Post #19

Thats a pretty good deal. The mounts are very stout and still available from mopar or here is a complete kit.

http://www.autotrucktoys.com/ram/Mop...-PRD27070.aspx
tow hooks /front suspension skid plate
3" cat back Flowmaster original 40
dechromed/debadged
black grille/black bumpers
Truxedo Truxsport
Belltech drop shackles
personalized "MADBRAD" license plates

nkyhemi

Posted: 02-12-2012, 08:57 AM
State: KY
Post #20

Could someone sticky this so i don' forget please. Great job!
2007 Hemi 4x4: Superchip Flashpaq- Gibson exhaust-True Flow tube w/ams oil nano fiber- N-Fab nerf bars-Rhino Liner- Bushwacker street flares- Tinted Windows-Tow Mirrors- SEMed front and rear bumpers- Galaxy DX919 c.b. w/a Wilson 2000 ant.17in. Procomp Xtreme alloy 7005 rims. Tires Fierce Attitude M/T 285/70r
Closed Thread