17 or 18 inch rims? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 12-22-2011, 11:03 AM
aarondb4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
17 or 18 inch rims?

I currently have a set of Moto Metal M0950's on my truck in the 17" size with 285/70/17 Hankooks on them.

There is a local guy looking to trade his American Racing AR670 18" rims with Toyo Open Country's in 325/60/18.

The tires are roughly the same size, they are the same height but the Toyo's are about an inch wider than my current tires.

My question is, do you think that extra inch of width is going to hurt my gas mileage significantly?

Also is it easier and cheaper to find tires for a 17" rim or an 18" rim or is there much of a difference.

I can't seem to find any specs on these wheels to figure out how much they weigh, although I don't imagine the weight difference is going to be huge between a 17" and an 18" rim.

In the future I want to get 34" tires on my truck so either a 305/70/17 or a 305/65/18. Any ideas on which would be cheaper and have more available selection? It sounds like a decent trade and I like the idea of an 18" rim over a 17" as I think it would look a little better. I just don't want to do the trade then end up not being able to find tires for the 18's or getting screwed on the price for 18 size tires.

2006 Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins Mega Cab 4X4 G56

5" TBE, Hide Away Goosneck Hitch, Leveled, Moto Metal Wheels, 35" Dick Cepeks, Laramie Front Bumper, Bakflip Tonneau Cover, Painted Heads, Tinted Tails, Painted Interior, Limo Tint, VP Secondary Fuel Filter. To Come: H&S Mini Maxx, Line-X Bed Liner, In dash DVD, Leather Seats.

Gone but not forgotten:
2005 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi Quad Cab 4X4 SLT.

Leveled, 285/65/20 BFG All Terrain KO's, Bilstein BE5-6140-T5 Front Shocks, Bilstein BE5-6248-H5 Rear Shocks, Bakflip Tonneau Cover, K&N Filter, Debadged, 20% tint over factory in the rear, 15% on front windows, 5% stripe, Custom Y-pipe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-22-2011, 12:09 PM
jimbobway69
~TYLER~

The weight is very minimal going from 17 to 18 as for price of tires 17 inch tires are cheaper then 18's

now the only reason i would change from my 17's to 18's is that i would like to get a bit more clearance between the inside of my rims and my caliper. I've been cathcing little pieces of rocks and mud buildup in between and it's gouging and scrapping all the inside of my rims.

08 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab Short Box Inferno Red 5.7L H.E.M.I

Rims&Tires
38x14.50-20 BFG KM2 Mud Terrain
20x10 Moto Metal 961 Black With Red Inserts

LIFT
-6" rcx suspension lift
-Kicker Bars
-3" Performance Accesseries Body lift
-TopGun Customs Rear Adjustable Lift Shackles 1.5 "
-Skyjacker rear shocks
EXTERIOR
-N-Fab RSP Full Replacement Bumper With Zone Offroad Bumper Brackets-4 Hella 700 Series Lights With Eurolite Bulbs
-Bush Wacker Pocket Style Fender Flares-Pacer Clear Roof Lights With Pure 360* LED 194 Bulbs In White-Paramount full replacement grill-Dupli-Color Bed Linned Fender Flares, Rockers, Front And Back Bumpers And Grill-Tinted Tails and Third Brake Light-Tinted windows, Top And Bottom Tint On Windshield-
-IPCW Black Halo Projector Headlights, Eurolite Bulbs In Reverse, Cargo, and license Plate lights-Street Glo Pro Strobe Kit Front Headlights And Rear Reverse Lights-ACCESS Low Pro Tonneau Cover System-Mopar Rear Inner Fender Linners
INTERIOR
-Auto Meter Triple Piller Mount Gauge Pod-Pro Sport Gauges Air/Fuel, Voltage, and Tranny Temp-Next And Browning Camo Seat Covers-Camo Floor Mats Front and Back-Led Rocker Switch's Hidden In Dash-Animal House Speaker
AUDIO
-Alpine Cda-001X Multimedia Deck With Intergrated Ipod And Sirius
-Alpine M850 And M400 Amps-2 12" Alpine Type R's
-Custom Made Center Console For 2 12's Under Plexi -Alpine Type R 6x9's In The Front Doors -Energy 5.25 Component Set In The Back Doors
-3 Clarion 4" 2 Ways In The Front Dash
-Big 3 Done With 4 Gauge Power Cable
UNDERHOOD/PERFORMANCE
-Custom Made 4" Airraid Intake-AEM 6x9 Dry Flo Filter-k & N Pre Filter
-Diablo Trinity T-1000
-Pacesetter Long Tubes-Dual 3" Cutouts-No Cats
-Pacesetter Y Pipe-Dynomax Y-Back Dual Exhaust
-Magnaflow Straight Through SIDO Muffler-3.5" Matte Black Painted Tips
-2nd Battery Tray Out Of 3/4 Ton
-Dual Batteries NAPA DT34/78-7 and NAPA Deep Cycle 27RVS
#3 Old 12-24-2011, 04:51 PM
smurf 04 ram

Take a look at Tire Rack and 4 wheel parts to check various sizes and prices. Granted they are regularly coming out with new additions but at least you'll get an idea. I'm running 17x9 with the 285 Michelin LTX M/S2s. Had the BFGs but not hunting or pulling trailers any longer.

-sm

- 2004 RAM 1500 SLT QUAD CAB(R) 4X4 SWB G Pkg.
- 5.7L HEMI Magnum
- Electronic Shift-on-the-Fly Part-Time Transfer Case
- Corporate 9.25 LD Rear Axle w/ Anti-Spin Differential
- 3.92 Axle Ratio
- 5-Speed Automatic Transmission
- 285/70R17 LTX/MS2
- 17" x 9.0" ProComp 7089 Black Aluminum Rims
- Gorilla Lug nuts
- Towing Capacity: 8600 lbs.

- Light Group
- Protection Group
- Trailer Tow Group
- Fog Lamps
- Carpet Floor Covering Included
- Folding Flat Load Floor Storage

- Primary: Patriot Blue Pearl Coat
- Secondary: Bright Silver Metallic Clear Coat
- Interior: Taupe

Extras:
- K&N CAI
- Gibson single side Cat back
- Super Chips 3815
- PLM deep trans pan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.