Low tire pressure warning - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Vehicle Forums > Dodge Charger Talk (06 - Up) > Dodge Charger (06-Up) - General Talk

Closed Thread

BrianS

Low tire pressure warning - Posted: 12-22-2011, 07:03 AM
State: ON
Post #1

My appologies if this is in the wrong forum...

'09 Charger. The low tire pressure warning light has come on AGAIN, 4th time for this since new. Tire pressure is correct. How does one reset this, or is this a dealer only procedure?

Thanks in advance
Brian

'07 Grand Caravan - SWEET ride!!
'09 Nitro R/T - The Boss's NEW ride.

'09 Charger - retired
'01 Grand Caravan - retired at 188,000km
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Palmentech766

Posted: 12-22-2011, 02:08 PM
^GM Goodwrench Certified^
City: Racine
State: WI
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #2

what do you have the tires set at?? If they are all at 35 PSI, bring it in to the dealer, either a sensor went bad or the WIN module is failing.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

04Ram2500Hemi

Posted: 12-22-2011, 03:10 PM
Same Name, Different Game
City: Missoula
State: MT
Post #3

A drop in outside temperature will affect your tire pressure too, and it might be dipping just below where the car thinks a tire is low on air. I'd check it manually too instead of just with the vehicle system and compare them.
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, Two Vision X LED Lights on Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill

Gone But Never Forgotten!
2004 Ram 2500 4X4 SLT Quad Cab Hemi Silver Metallic, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Westin Nerf Bars Sprayed with Line-X, Bushwacker Extend A Fender Sprayed with Line-X, Rhino Lining in the Bed and Over the Rails, Truxedo Low Profile Tonneau Cover, Hell 500's Behind the Grill, Warn Front Receiver, KC Backup Lights, Custom Mounted Bumper Backup Lights, V-7 V Force Muffler, Auto Meter Transmission Temperature Gauge, SRT-10 Pillar Grab Handle, Kore Recon Suspension System, Kore Race Steering Damper, Kore Chase Control Arms, Kore Coil Spring Isolator, Kore End Links, 35x12.50 Mud Terrain SXT Tires, SRT-10 Hood, AEM Brute Force Intake, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Smoked Recon Cab Lights, Tuff Stuff 12,500 Pound Multi Point Winch

wyat72

Posted: 12-22-2011, 03:37 PM
PAID OFF!!!
State: IA
View This User's Gallery
Post #4

I pump my tires up 5 psi in the winter so this doesnt happen. You might find it beneficial as well.

Appearance Mods: Chrome Mopar Tubular Side Steps, Chrome Mopar Bug Guard, Mopar Tow Mirrors, Mopar Mud Flaps & Wheel Liners, Mopar Tow Hooks, Putco Chrome Door Handle Covers, AMI Chrome Fuel Door, Curt Customized Hitch Cover, Bully Locking Tailgate Handle, ACI Vanish Tonneau, Line-X Bed Liner, Autospring 2" Leveling Kit, Cooper Zeon LTZs.

Performance Mods: SuperChips FlashPaq, Volant CAI, 12589 Magnaflow Muffler and Y-Pipe.

Red Truck Club Member #289

Palmentech766

Posted: 12-22-2011, 09:48 PM
^GM Goodwrench Certified^
City: Racine
Post #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyat72 View Post
I pump my tires up 5 psi in the winter so this doesnt happen. You might find it beneficial as well.
This or inflating the tires with Nitrogen also helps, Nitrogen inflated tires dont change as drasticly as tires filled just with air.

wyat72

Posted: 12-23-2011, 12:34 AM
PAID OFF!!!
State: IA
View This User's Gallery
Post #6

that would help too.

Appearance Mods: Chrome Mopar Tubular Side Steps, Chrome Mopar Bug Guard, Mopar Tow Mirrors, Mopar Mud Flaps & Wheel Liners, Mopar Tow Hooks, Putco Chrome Door Handle Covers, AMI Chrome Fuel Door, Curt Customized Hitch Cover, Bully Locking Tailgate Handle, ACI Vanish Tonneau, Line-X Bed Liner, Autospring 2" Leveling Kit, Cooper Zeon LTZs.

Performance Mods: SuperChips FlashPaq, Volant CAI, 12589 Magnaflow Muffler and Y-Pipe.

Red Truck Club Member #289

BrianS

Posted: 12-23-2011, 08:10 AM
Post #7

Thanks for all the responses on this. This has been an ongoing problem since we bought this... the other times there was a problem taken care of at the stealership. I checked the tire pressure, fronts were 28psi, rears were 30. I inflated the fronts to 30psi to match the rears, but no joy. My tire gauge is pretty old, so was going to get a newer one and recheck them. In the mean time, I will adjust the pressure in all to 32 on my gauge and see what happens. According to the sticker on the B-pillar, the proper pressure is 32. Will let you know if it solves the problem.

Thanks again

'09 Charger - retired

bikerlarry50

Posted: 12-23-2011, 02:10 PM
City: north ft. myers, fl
State: FL
View This User's Timeslip
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #8

brian, as a retired dealer tech, i can tell ya that the door stickers are written to cause premature wear due to underinflation. the manufacturer's also do this for a softer ride quality, & less road noise. i personally keep all my vehicle's tire's at the max inflation given on the tire sidewall. this give's me better economy, longer lasting tire's, & better handling. as for your issue. federal law as of 08 model's were mandated to have t p monitering system's that use 26 psi as the lowest pressure. most systems will throw a code at this pressure. invest in a quality gauge. pump them up to max pressure, check them monthly at the minimum. on my 011 charger you can read the air pressure of each tire, as seen by the t p moniter system on the dash readout.
as for me,i'm a retired ase master tech, co-own a 2012 dodge durango sxt, and my personal vehicles, my 99 ram 3500 1 ton van, a 06 hd nitetrain, & a 67 hd flh shovelhead , and a 99 sea ray bow rider boat

BrianS

Posted: 12-30-2011, 01:33 PM
Post #9

Thanks again for all the replies on this. Had to take it in for oil and filter so told the dealer to have a look at it. Their response was the same as yours.. increase tire pressure. According to the w/o, the tech adjusted the pressure and reset the threshold on the car. Going to check the pressure tomorrow when it's cold. The "boss" is busy with it today. Will report back with the pressure they set it at.

'09 Charger - retired

mastertech

Posted: 12-30-2011, 05:55 PM
Post #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerlarry50 View Post
brian, as a retired dealer tech, i can tell ya that the door stickers are written to cause premature wear due to underinflation. the manufacturer's also do this for a softer ride quality, & less road noise. i personally keep all my vehicle's tire's at the max inflation given on the tire sidewall. this give's me better economy, longer lasting tire's, & better handling. as for your issue. federal law as of 08 model's were mandated to have t p monitering system's that use 26 psi as the lowest pressure. most systems will throw a code at this pressure. invest in a quality gauge. pump them up to max pressure, check them monthly at the minimum. on my 011 charger you can read the air pressure of each tire, as seen by the t p moniter system on the dash readout.
i dont think any one would try that after the Ford Firestone atx explorer mess.

MeenGreen5.2

Posted: 12-30-2011, 06:35 PM
i'm blue :D
City: North Las vegas, NV
View This User's Gallery
Post #11

I leave my t p 3 Psi below max.
24"verde rims
stock

BLUE TRUCK CLUB MEMBER #249
Trucks and Guns member #164

BrianS

Posted: 12-31-2011, 11:48 AM
Post #12

Checked tire pressure this morning. 38psi!! No wonder it road like it had no suspenion. I dropped them all to 35, still with my old gauge. So far no low tire lite. Wife said it was slipping and sliding worse than normal yesterday in the rain.. makes sense since there would be less flex in the sidewall at the higher pressure.

'09 Charger - retired

bikerlarry50

Posted: 12-31-2011, 07:55 PM
City: north ft. myers, fl
State: FL
View This User's Timeslip
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #13

mastertec; just checked the label on my 11 charger, says to inflate tires to 30 psi recomendation. tires are michelin's, rated at 44psi maximum inflation under full load. so theoretically, inflating them to 30 psi will cause them to wear faster due to underinflation. i personally witnessed this for over 25 years, in dealerships, ranging from gm, vw, toyota, ford, kia, etc. as for them not doing this due to the firestone fiasco, cmon be realistic, that was due to firestone not building a tire correctly, & all vehicle manufacturer's not telling the owners to keep better track of their tire wear & pressure. just like when firestone first tried building radials in the 70's. another fiasco i witnessed first hand, working in a tire dealership at the time.
fords major issue was in trying to keep the tire issue quiet, instead of manning up, & replacing all the firestone tires when the problem first surfaced. all manufacturer's do this, & will continue. no matter what people think.
please dont take offense here, the above is my humble opinion, based on my observation's gathered from working on cars professionally from 1975- the present day. i am retired now due to terminall health issues, but i still keep my hand in, as do all of us here.
also just as an aside here; most cars & trucks sent to dealerships new, have tires on them that were purchased in large bulk groups, at the cheapest possible price, for several reasons. premature wear, cost cutting, name recogntion, etc. these are the reasons why the service end of dealerships are always more profitable than the sales side. a fact that has been proven to me many times over my career.
as for me,i'm a retired ase master tech, co-own a 2012 dodge durango sxt, and my personal vehicles, my 99 ram 3500 1 ton van, a 06 hd nitetrain, & a 67 hd flh shovelhead , and a 99 sea ray bow rider boat

BrianS

Posted: 01-12-2012, 08:03 PM
Post #14

Finally had time to get a new gauge and rechecked them. Dropped them all to 31 cold and it rides a lot nicer and no low tire lite.

Larry, thanks for the suggestion but I will trade a little extra wear for a better ride. Even 5lbs over Chryslers recommended pressure and the ride went to crap.

'09 Charger - retired
Closed Thread