remove vent window glass from swivel / frame - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Vintage Dodge Truck Forums > 1972-1987 Dodge Ram Trucks (D, W-series)

Closed Thread

DadTruck

remove vent window glass from swivel / frame - Posted: 11-28-2011, 07:51 PM
State: IN
Post #1

any ideas on how to free the vent window from the swivel / latch and frame?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1371835...7628198642351/

I got a set out of the pick apart that are factory tinted,, mine are not, would like to ues my frame and chrome latches are they are in better shape/

thanks
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

duval67

Posted: 11-28-2011, 10:09 PM
State: ON
Post #2

If I recall correctly, I just took the screw out of the part that the glass pivots on, where it attaches to the glass and then just pulled them out of the channel...didn't take a lot of force.
There's a good chance that there is something that holds them in the channel, but the mechanism had long since worn out on mine, if it did indeed exist.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

angusdevil

Posted: 11-29-2011, 12:58 AM
They call me Radio
City: Tempe
State: AZ
View This User's Gallery
Post #3

Yup, loosen the screw and rotate the window on the screw (with the window open) and it'll slide right out.

1973 RCLB Stroker SB
REBUILD BLOG - radio1973dodge.blogspot.com
- Longtravel suspension still being built, Grabber 35" MT's, Method Wheels, 4.10's.
- Custom dash/gauge cluster, Corbeau seats, dual electric fans, most of the wiring replaced, 7" HID's, lots of other flashy and bright lights
- Fuel cell, aluminum rad, rear tranny cooler, front and rear tube bumpers, cut rear rockers and cage work ready to get started on.

DadTruck

Posted: 11-29-2011, 08:09 AM
Post #4

I'll try that again,, but on the first one that I got at the pick apart,, I tried to get the vent glass free, to just buy the glass and not the complete frame,

took the screws out,, put a little thumb pressure on it, did not budge, tried to wedge a thin screwdriver in,, it busted in a million pieces....

duval67

Posted: 11-29-2011, 11:57 AM
State: ON
Post #5

Maybe try spraying some water+dishsoap onto the seal in the channel? Might loosen it up a little bit.

ssroadrunner

Posted: 11-29-2011, 05:22 PM
sonny
City: paris
State: TX
Post #6

i think the glass is held in with adhesive rubber like sealer

Speed Dragon

Posted: 11-30-2011, 07:41 AM
Aka Force Fed Mopar
City: Campobello, SC
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #7

Yeah there is some sort of glue in there, most trucks down here it has been killed by the sun and the glass pops out easily. You might try using a piece of piano wire (what they use to cut windshields out with) carefully around it and free it up. Or just break it and scrape out the leftovers

bookworm

Posted: 12-02-2011, 01:45 PM
City: Guthrie
State: OK
Post #8

Heat gun. Heat the channel to loosen the adhesive tape. Then hold the vent glass/channel assembly in such a manner that the frame is against a workbench top. Rap the glass out of the frame with a rubber hammer, firmly.
The problems I had was keeping the glass in the frame after switching it out. I would recommend just taking the vent glass out at the swivel, leaving it in the channel, then installing the whole thing in one piece.
Banks PowerPack, FluiDampr balancer, ATS 2-piece exhaust manifold, Banks 3-Disc Billet Torque Conv., Transtar Billet flexplate, Transgo shift kit with some Sonnax billet goodies, Dorman steel trans pan w/drain plug, DieselSite external trans filter, Hellwig rear anti-sway bar, GDP MK-2 fuel filter kit
Tinted, mostly de-badged, some other stuff too.

My truck is exactly the way I want it...except there's a few things I want to change.

roadram360

Posted: 12-13-2011, 06:18 PM
City: mostly on the road
State: LA
Post #9

i'd keep it in the channel if it's not pitted. the latch separates with the removal of the little pin in the arm. easy to lose

you like your truck more than you like me. sometimes i do

1978 d-150, 95 360, eddy 750, 4 speed auto, 9.25 rear. her name is sabrina

GOD BLESS AMERICA

http://s745.photobucket.com/albums/x...am360/sabrina/
www.waltonandjohnson.com
www.marklevinshow.com
www.michaelberry.com
*DodgeTalk.com 318 Enthusiast Member #(129)*

DadTruck

Posted: 12-14-2011, 09:14 AM
Post #10

thanks for the replies,, but the vent window glass seperated from the bottom channel and swivel clamp easily. I had tried one of these at a pull a part just for practice that one must have been glued together,, and I shattered the glass.

I went back to the pull apart and that truck was a D-350 and the vent window bottom chanel and pivot were shapped different fom my 83 D-150,,
I had thought that the D series vent windows were all the same..

roadram360

Posted: 12-14-2011, 06:04 PM
City: mostly on the road
State: LA
Post #11

early vents had a channel and a front latch. mid years had a rear latch and a channel. later vents had a rear latch and no channel

you like your truck more than you like me. sometimes i do

1978 d-150, 95 360, eddy 750, 4 speed auto, 9.25 rear. her name is sabrina

GOD BLESS AMERICA

http://s745.photobucket.com/albums/x...am360/sabrina/
www.waltonandjohnson.com
www.marklevinshow.com
www.michaelberry.com
*DodgeTalk.com 318 Enthusiast Member #(129)*
Closed Thread