Transmission Cooler Installation Pics - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 11-19-2011, 02:40 PM
prototype4342

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Transmission Cooler Installation Pics

Alright guys, I did my transmission cooler install today and thought I would share my pictures as to how I did it. Some people made it more complicated than it needed to be I think.

Basically, I didn't mess with the feed line at all, I left it as is, it is the lower line into the radiator. I basically took my Dremel and cut the hard return line to insert the cooler.

Here's the top return line leaving the radiator cooler and routing to the auxiliary cooler.

Here's the line out of the auxiliary cooler back to the transmission, notice I kept the quick disconnect from the original return hard line and used it to route the line around the radiator.

And the same thing just from the other side

Here's a view of the cooler, it will get moved but I was in a time constraint, so it stays there for now. You can see the return line from the cooler going in between the condenser and AC line to the hard line.

Blue Truck Club Member # 245
Cracked Dash Enthusiast Club Member #29

2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Regular cab: In the middle of a 8.0L V10/NV4500 swap, 3/4 ton axles...IT'S ALIVE!!!

1981 Camaro: 5.7L '86 350 LT9, Edelbrock Performer Intake man., Edelbrock 600 carb., Drop base air cleaner, unnamed headers, pypes crossflow exhaust, ECP all aluminum radiator, Mark VIII electric fan, PTFB GT suspension, single adjustable AFCO shocks, C/E subframe connectors, 4-speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-19-2011, 04:42 PM
damilleniumboy

Nice write up; how much was the tranny cooler?

I love Corvettes

6000k HID's, cold air intake, dual exhaust, aftermarket power windows, after market power locks, 31x10.5x15 BFG's all terrain k/o tires, DVD/NAV touch screen, Rockford Fosgate amp, Sony 12" subwoofer, 35% tint, and there will hopefully be more to come.
#3 Old 11-19-2011, 04:57 PM
prototype4342

(Thread Starter)
That one was $60 from Advanced Auto, it'a a plate and fin cooler not a tube fin cooler, so it cools better, not to mention it's the same size as the largest tube fin cooler and looks much better.

It came with everything needed for a simple install like this, I even bought extra hose in anticipation of needing it, I took it back like 15 minutes ago, haha.

I have just seen some people cutting the original rubber tubing, which I would really prefer not to do, this keeps me from having to do that, at least until I get a trans. temp gauge, then I'll have to splice in a T on the feed line.

2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Regular cab: In the middle of a 8.0L V10/NV4500 swap, 3/4 ton axles...IT'S ALIVE!!!

1981 Camaro: 5.7L '86 350 LT9, Edelbrock Performer Intake man., Edelbrock 600 carb., Drop base air cleaner, unnamed headers, pypes crossflow exhaust, ECP all aluminum radiator, Mark VIII electric fan, PTFB GT suspension, single adjustable AFCO shocks, C/E subframe connectors, 4-speed.
#4 Old 11-19-2011, 09:38 PM
Hylander

Quote:
it'a a plate and fin cooler not a tube fin cooler, so it cools better
Not to sound dumb, but what is the difference ?

Failure is not an Option
99 SLT 1500 4x4, Trac-Lok, 1.75" lift 2500 Coil Springs
#5 Old 11-19-2011, 10:08 PM
prototype4342

(Thread Starter)
Tube-fin:

Plate-fin:

Basically they use the same heat exchange principle, but you get better cooling with a plate-fin cooler because more of the fluid contacts the cooling fins than in a tube-fin cooler.

#6 Old 11-19-2011, 10:10 PM
spun360

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
a plate & fin cooler; most often called a manifold cooler/ radiator
same thing as the engines antifreeze cooler
least amount of back pressure
fast fluid movement
average heat displacement properties

a tube & fin cooler ;also called a linear flow radiator
consists of one continous tube occupied by fins
compounded additional back pressure for every bend
very slow fluid movement
high heat displacement capabilities

parts for sale
$650: 5 ram 1500 RIMS & TREADWRIGHT TIRES SOLD :pm: ask about my retread experience http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/show...78#post5474378
$125: 210lb double and dampener valve springs .550 lift
$20 : new, standard oil pump
$15 : new, super strength moog #377 frt axle hub universal w/ grease fitting
prices include shipping (for residence of the US)
cheep
shoot PMs my way
#7 Old 11-19-2011, 10:34 PM
prototype4342

(Thread Starter)
Makes sense I guess, I always saw it as with a plate-fin type there is more fluid being cooled at once inside of the plate, as opposed to a tube-fin.

I think the stock ones on the newer Rams are plate-fin.

#8 Old 11-19-2011, 10:48 PM
damilleniumboy

I might add that to my Corvette, it's automatic and I just replaced the transmission this past August. The Ram is a 5 speed, so there is no need to install a tranny fluid cooler lol. I had been looking for an idea as to how to add one, and I couldn't find one on the corvetteforum. Thanks a bunch!

I love Corvettes

6000k HID's, cold air intake, dual exhaust, aftermarket power windows, after market power locks, 31x10.5x15 BFG's all terrain k/o tires, DVD/NAV touch screen, Rockford Fosgate amp, Sony 12" subwoofer, 35% tint, and there will hopefully be more to come.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.