Transmission Cooler Installation Pics - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 2nd Gen (94 01) Forums > 2G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

prototype4342

Transmission Cooler Installation Pics - Posted: 11-19-2011, 01:40 PM
City: Colorado
State: CO
View This User's Garage
Post #1

Alright guys, I did my transmission cooler install today and thought I would share my pictures as to how I did it. Some people made it more complicated than it needed to be I think.

Basically, I didn't mess with the feed line at all, I left it as is, it is the lower line into the radiator. I basically took my Dremel and cut the hard return line to insert the cooler.

Here's the top return line leaving the radiator cooler and routing to the auxiliary cooler.

Here's the line out of the auxiliary cooler back to the transmission, notice I kept the quick disconnect from the original return hard line and used it to route the line around the radiator.

And the same thing just from the other side

Here's a view of the cooler, it will get moved but I was in a time constraint, so it stays there for now. You can see the return line from the cooler going in between the condenser and AC line to the hard line.
Cracked Dash Enthusiast Club Member #29

2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Regular cab: In the middle of a 8.0L V10/NV4500 swap, 3/4 ton axles...IT'S ALIVE!!!

1981 Camaro: 5.7L '86 350 LT9, Edelbrock Performer Intake man., Edelbrock 600 carb., Drop base air cleaner, unnamed headers, pypes crossflow exhaust, ECP all aluminum radiator, Mark VIII electric fan, PTFB GT suspension, single adjustable AFCO shocks, C/E subframe connectors, 4-speed.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

damilleniumboy

Posted: 11-19-2011, 03:42 PM
City: Land of OZ
State: KS
Post #2

Nice write up; how much was the tranny cooler?

6000k HID's, cold air intake, dual exhaust, aftermarket power windows, after market power locks, 31x10.5x15 BFG's all terrain k/o tires, DVD/NAV touch screen, Rockford Fosgate amp, Sony 12" subwoofer, 35% tint, and there will hopefully be more to come.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

prototype4342

Posted: 11-19-2011, 03:57 PM
View This User's Garage
Post #3

That one was $60 from Advanced Auto, it'a a plate and fin cooler not a tube fin cooler, so it cools better, not to mention it's the same size as the largest tube fin cooler and looks much better.

It came with everything needed for a simple install like this, I even bought extra hose in anticipation of needing it, I took it back like 15 minutes ago, haha.

I have just seen some people cutting the original rubber tubing, which I would really prefer not to do, this keeps me from having to do that, at least until I get a trans. temp gauge, then I'll have to splice in a T on the feed line.

2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Regular cab: In the middle of a 8.0L V10/NV4500 swap, 3/4 ton axles...IT'S ALIVE!!!

1981 Camaro: 5.7L '86 350 LT9, Edelbrock Performer Intake man., Edelbrock 600 carb., Drop base air cleaner, unnamed headers, pypes crossflow exhaust, ECP all aluminum radiator, Mark VIII electric fan, PTFB GT suspension, single adjustable AFCO shocks, C/E subframe connectors, 4-speed.

Hylander

Posted: 11-19-2011, 08:38 PM
State: CA
Post #4

Quote:
it'a a plate and fin cooler not a tube fin cooler, so it cools better
Not to sound dumb, but what is the difference ?

prototype4342

Posted: 11-19-2011, 09:08 PM
View This User's Garage
Post #5

Tube-fin:

Plate-fin:

Basically they use the same heat exchange principle, but you get better cooling with a plate-fin cooler because more of the fluid contacts the cooling fins than in a tube-fin cooler.

spun360

Posted: 11-19-2011, 09:10 PM
City: Pottstown
State: PA
View This User's Gallery
Post #6

a plate & fin cooler; most often called a manifold cooler/ radiator
same thing as the engines antifreeze cooler
least amount of back pressure
fast fluid movement
average heat displacement properties

a tube & fin cooler ;also called a linear flow radiator
consists of one continous tube occupied by fins
compounded additional back pressure for every bend
very slow fluid movement
high heat displacement capabilities
$20 : new, standard oil pump
$15 : new, super strength moog #377 frt axle hub universal w/ grease fitting
prices include shipping (for residence of the US)
cheep
shoot PMs my way

prototype4342

Posted: 11-19-2011, 09:34 PM
View This User's Garage
Post #7

Makes sense I guess, I always saw it as with a plate-fin type there is more fluid being cooled at once inside of the plate, as opposed to a tube-fin.

I think the stock ones on the newer Rams are plate-fin.

damilleniumboy

Posted: 11-19-2011, 09:48 PM
City: Land of OZ
State: KS
Post #8

I might add that to my Corvette, it's automatic and I just replaced the transmission this past August. The Ram is a 5 speed, so there is no need to install a tranny fluid cooler lol. I had been looking for an idea as to how to add one, and I couldn't find one on the corvetteforum. Thanks a bunch!

6000k HID's, cold air intake, dual exhaust, aftermarket power windows, after market power locks, 31x10.5x15 BFG's all terrain k/o tires, DVD/NAV touch screen, Rockford Fosgate amp, Sony 12" subwoofer, 35% tint, and there will hopefully be more to come.
Closed Thread