Replace Inner Tie Rod or whole Rack - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 11-06-2011, 05:07 PM
truckman323
truckman323

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Replace Inner Tie Rod or whole Rack

I've got a bad outer tie rod on the driver's side and play in the inner tie rod on the passenger side. I realize the lift kit and bigger tires don't help the situation.

Would it be smarter to replace the whole rack and outer tie rods or just the 2 tie rods that are worn out?

Also, can someone help me with part numbers for the inner tie rods? I can't find anything on the Moog site and none of the regular parts sites (Summit, NAPA, etc.) even list an inner......How tough is the inner tie rod to replace? Seems pretty simple, access would only be the real hassle?

Yes, this is my truck. No, I won't help you move.

Current truck: 2013 Ram 1500 CC, Flame Red, Outdoorsman, 6-spd, 3:55s, BT Catch Can, TonnoPro Loroll tonneau, 26% front tint, Bilsteins @ 2.1, Mevotech UCAs, AirLift 1000's, plasti dipped badges, wheels an bumpers, Amsoil

Sold: '07 Ram 1500, 295/70/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, American Racing ATX, K&N Cold Air, true duals, ProCote bedliner, 6" lift, Firestone Air-ride Suspension Helper Springs, Bilstein 5100s, Pioneer navigation unit, AMSOIL, 190 t-stat, 1-ton transmission cooler, Transgo, 4.10 with Auburn LSD, Superchips

Sold: '07 Ram 1500 Mega Cab, 5.7l Hemi, AirRait AIT intake, AMSOIL, Hellas behind the grill, block heater, Transgo HD2 shift kit, B&W gooseneck hitch, Magnaflow 4" stainless exhaust, 2" leveling kit, Bilstein 5100s

Sold: '99 Ram 2500, 5.9l 360, NV4500 Tranny, AMSOIL, 180 T-stat, MOPAR Performance open element, home ported TB, plenum fixed, 2" leveling kit + Bilstein 5100's, 295/75/16 BFG AT KO's on black RockCrawler steelies, Magnaflow high-flow cat and muffler, 3" single in/out, smoked cab lights, luke's links, lights, lights, lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-06-2011, 05:19 PM
jerry cole

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would do the rack
#3 Old 11-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Daytona1445

I believe the part number is Ev800098 but you will want to confirm that.

Changing the rack might cost more in parts but its probably easier than changing the inners.

2005 Ram Daytona GoMango RC #1445
Orange Truck Club Member #19
Performance
Mopar CAI / 4.56 Superior Gears / Auburn limited slip / Edge Converter / Shift Kit / Viper Fan with FK50p Controller / Edelbrock mid headers / Custom True Dual Exhaust / Superchips Flashpaq / Summit Underdrive / 195 t-stat / Moe's 85mm TB / Mag-Hytec 68rfe pan / 1 ton trans cooler / G2 diff cover
Looks and Sound
Night Runner 22s / DJM 2" arms / McGaughys Flip with Notch & Air assist / Alpine, Orion, JL, Kicker audio / SilverStar lights / Optima Yellow / AEM Wideband O2 in SRT-10 Pillar / Retrax Bed Cover / Spray in Bed Liner / Mopar Billet fuel door / Daytona floor mats
Future plans
Depends what I can afford.
#4 Old 11-06-2011, 10:48 PM
pablo7

I think doing the whole rack is better for the $$. I got all the parts sitting in my garage my inners are shot, I bought moog outers 45$ from orielly's (60$ retail they'll pricematch mom and pop shops), and a Cardone rack from oriellys 168 after price match, I figure if the inners go bad again (inner moogs are 80$ each) the rack has a lifetime warranty so i get a free replacement with new inners. Dont forget the rack bushing set from energy suspension about 25$
#5 Old 11-06-2011, 11:17 PM
MileHighRango

I just replaced the divers side inner on my friends 05 Jeep GC, an it took us 45 min....really was a piece of cake. We bought the Harbor Freight inner tie rod tool and it was too small so i doubt it would work on anything larger than a CRV. On the jeep i would replace all the roads before the rack just because it's so hard to get out, on a ram im not sure but from personal experience inner tie rods are pretty easy to replace.

New blinker fluid, rotated the lug nuts, spring air in the tires, New Moog muffler bearing, and more......
Courtesy of RedNeck153

2004 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi
1985 BMW 635CSi (65k original miles)
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7-SOLD
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Big Horn Hemi
2006 Jeep Commander Limited Hemi

Sig pic by: BMRbrnSNRbrd

#6 Old 11-06-2011, 11:58 PM
Ram Pwnage
Ram Pwnage

Just do the inner if the rack isn't leaking, if there's any fluid leaking in the boot replace the rack. Inners are easy to replace with the right tools. Matco makes a universal inner tool that is amazing, use it all the time at work. I trust the Moog parts better than what comes on a reman rack.

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab Big Horn 4x4
Yeah, it's got a HEMI!
Pretty much stock for now, still way better than my 98
#7 Old 11-07-2011, 08:40 PM
N1K

+1 Also I've heard the reman racks arent nearly as good as the oem and this starts a whole nother problem.
How much for does matco want for the tool?
I know wheeling and the big tires that are going to be put on this truck are going to wear stuff out so I need to get one of these probly.

oh8 Ram 1500
Black Truck Club #223
#8 Old 11-07-2011, 08:44 PM
pablo7

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1K View Post
+1 Also I've heard the reman racks arent nearly as good as the oem and this starts a whole nother problem.

Ya only thing is an OEM rack cost around 600$ and only comes with a 1 year/12,000 mile warranty re-manu. racks come with a lifetime warranty and seem to last about the same amount of time my truck's OEM rack lasted 55,000 miles and its already leaking a bit, even people running regular size tires report issues with the OEM rack....just saying.
#9 Old 11-07-2011, 09:10 PM
reefguy89

change the whole rack. But to change just the inners its really easy. My drivers side fell out one day while i was pulling into a parking lot. really easy to replace thought. took 20 minutes with an adjustable wrench. I didnt even take off the tires. just have some one slowly turn the wheel till the outer fall into place. Be use to use loctite on the inner tie rod threads.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
#10 Old 11-08-2011, 12:24 PM
Ram Pwnage
Ram Pwnage

The Matco tool is about 68 bucks (pt # WW897), it will work on almost any rack and pinion inner and since it uses a 19mm hex you put a socket over you can use a big 1/2" ratchet or breaker bar to break loose stubborn inners and make sure the new one is torqued down good. And x2 on the threadlocker, i always threadlock inners i replace even if they have some other kind of locking mechanism. And for reman racks, all they do is replace seals usually so if the rack was abused the gears could be sloppy and worn. Had that problem with reman boxes for my old 2nd gen.

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab Big Horn 4x4
Yeah, it's got a HEMI!
Pretty much stock for now, still way better than my 98
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.