Update...Loud Popping noise in front end - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

TheFinFanMan

Update...Loud Popping noise in front end - Posted: 10-18-2011, 10:58 AM
Kenneth Robert
City: Cincinnati
Post #1

I posted a couple months ago...had a really loud pop in the front end, almost like a knuckle cracking as I came to a stop and accelerated away. So, I parked the truck until I had the time to dive into it. So, last week I decided to take it for a drive and see what happened....drove fine...until yesterday. Coming to a stop there was a grind and then a pop...pop...pop. So, last night, I pulled off the right front tire and caliper as it seemed it was coming from that side. I have Hawk ceramics and ATE slotted rotors. I THINK what was happening looking at the worn down pad was that as the calipers relaxed pressure, my brake shoe would sometimes get a little cocked, so to speak and the edge of the pad was either getting caught in the slot or in the rusty perimeter area. The inside bottom looked like it had little chunks of pad missing. So, it would pop a few times until it got straightened out and then it would be fine again. Ran up to Smyths and got some Raybestos Semi Metallics and replaced the pads. All seems to be fine now..knock on wood.

Does this sound logical to any of you proffesionals?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Bertens

Posted: 10-18-2011, 04:43 PM
State: ON
Post #2

Did you notice any pitting on the caliper where the pad slides back and forth? I had this happen on my 02 dakota. The caliper was all worn out and the pad would get caught like you were saying. i used some lithium grease to lube it untill I could get new calipers.

TheFinFanMan

Posted: 10-18-2011, 05:52 PM
Kenneth Robert
City: Cincinnati
Post #3

Do you mean where the slides go? The new pads came with new slides but my old pads were on the original slides which are aluminum but pretty beat up. With new slides, the shoes were a tight fit. I don't know if it was something different with Raybestos instead of Hawk or putting knew slides in but they did not go in easy. I only got the right side done before it got dark and will do the left side this weekend. Actually I used my dremel to knock a tiny bit of metal off the end of the pad where they go in the slides....sucker would not fit in there. I put as much brake grease as I could on them and hopefully everything breaks in and works OK. Seem to be working good. Did about 15 or so hard stops from 30mph to 0 to break in the pads. Drove it to work today and appears to be good....no pulling to the side with new pads. The tight fit on the new ones does worry me a bit...I am hoping those slides get more conformed and broken in.
Closed Thread