2003 4plug ECU TMR mod success - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

#1 Old 10-11-2011, 04:56 PM
rammitman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2003 4plug ECU TMR mod success

i have a 2003 dodge ram with the updated 4 plug ecu tcu setup. now ive been reading on here and other forums that the TMR mod cannot be done on the 4plug. well about 30 minutes ago i actually did it to mine. now maybe im wrong here but i would like to invite anyone who knows the specifics of this to comment on it. heres what mine looks like. if anyone agrees that this is the dreaded 4 plug setup that cannot be TMR modded then let me know and i will post my steps along with photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (938.3 KB, 23 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-11-2011, 08:50 PM
darell_n
Boost, you say!?

Why is the 4 plug 'dreaded'? Most '03 Hemi trucks are NGC (4 plug) and have no problem with the TMR wire being interrupted.

Cheap. Fast. Reliable. (Pick 2)
#3 Old 10-11-2011, 09:01 PM
rammitman

(Thread Starter)
From what I've read on forums the late model 03 rams with the 4 plug and no seperate tcu can't be tmr modded. The 03s that have seperate tcus on the passenger fender are the ones that can be modded. Mine has no seperate tcu so supposedly its one of the 'dreaded' ones that can't be modded.
#4 Old 10-11-2011, 09:30 PM
V2Rider

Are you running a superchips programmer? Just wondering. Apparently the SC eliminates most of the TM, so I'm wondering if there was a difference.

BASIC-2003 Dodge Ram QC 2500HD 4X4 Hemi Laramie, Leather, Power/Heated EVERYTHING, Remote Start, Homelink Overhead Console, Prodigy Trailer Brake Controller, 295/70/17 Trail Grapplers on Double Pump wheels

PERFORMANCE-SC3815 Programmer 91 performance tune, FastMan Ported ThrottleBody, Sonnax Line Booster, Magnaflow Dual Exhaust, 180* T-Stat, K&N CAI, AirRam Jet Stream Scoop, BlackMagic Efan 183, 6.1 Springs, Taylor 8.2 Thundervolt Plug Wires, Herko Performance Coils, Powerwire, DC 180 Alternator, 4.56 Gears, Dynamic Grounding Kit, K&N Crankcase Breather
ON THE WAY: Cam, Diff covers, deep tranny pan, 6.1 oil pump

SUSPENSION-2" lift front 1 1/2" add a leaf rear, ProComp ES9000 Nitro shocks, XRF Ball Joints, 09 Steering Upgrade, Skyjacker HD Steering Stabalizer, MAXX Leveled Swaybar Links, Spicer Triple Seal Axle U Joints, BruteForce HD Driveshaft U Joints

COSMETIC/PROTECTION- LineX Spray on bed liner, Mopar Door Edge Guards, Underside coated in Black Rustoleum, Transfer Case Skid Plate, Tonneu cover, Chrome Bed Rails, Chrome Step Nerftubes, HEMI Hitch Plug, Hood Spears
ON THE WAY: Front tinted windows, smoked headlights/tail lights, 3rd light, Xpel Rocker panel protector

INTERIOR- Weathertech Digital front and rear mats, Custom Paint job, Efan manual switch, GX65 Blue Radar Detector Hardwired, Hidden 45cal Pistol Holster
ON THE WAY: Navigation Radio, Professional interior detail with leather restore

AMSOIL
#5 Old 10-11-2011, 09:36 PM
rammitman

(Thread Starter)
No v2 I am not running a SC prog yet. Yet that is lol. But I am no authority on this but from what I've put together from what I've read the programmer pretty much just reduces the torque manager. Pulling the wire will actually leave the torque manager blind and effectively turns it completely off. That's my understanding anyway.
#6 Old 10-11-2011, 09:38 PM
V2Rider

Yeah it just reduces it by like 70% at WOT I believe. Did you take your truck out for a spin and notice a good improvement?

BASIC-2003 Dodge Ram QC 2500HD 4X4 Hemi Laramie, Leather, Power/Heated EVERYTHING, Remote Start, Homelink Overhead Console, Prodigy Trailer Brake Controller, 295/70/17 Trail Grapplers on Double Pump wheels

PERFORMANCE-SC3815 Programmer 91 performance tune, FastMan Ported ThrottleBody, Sonnax Line Booster, Magnaflow Dual Exhaust, 180* T-Stat, K&N CAI, AirRam Jet Stream Scoop, BlackMagic Efan 183, 6.1 Springs, Taylor 8.2 Thundervolt Plug Wires, Herko Performance Coils, Powerwire, DC 180 Alternator, 4.56 Gears, Dynamic Grounding Kit, K&N Crankcase Breather

SUSPENSION-2" lift front 1 1/2" add a leaf rear, ProComp ES9000 Nitro shocks, XRF Ball Joints, 09 Steering Upgrade, Skyjacker HD Steering Stabalizer, MAXX Leveled Swaybar Links, Spicer Triple Seal Axle U Joints, BruteForce HD Driveshaft U Joints

COSMETIC/PROTECTION- LineX Spray on bed liner, Mopar Door Edge Guards, Underside coated in Black Rustoleum, Transfer Case Skid Plate, Tonneu cover, Chrome Bed Rails, Chrome Step Nerftubes, HEMI Hitch Plug, Hood Spears
ON THE WAY: Front tinted windows, smoked headlights/tail lights, 3rd light, Xpel Rocker panel protector

INTERIOR- Weathertech Digital front and rear mats, Custom Paint job, Efan manual switch, GX65 Blue Radar Detector Hardwired, Hidden 45cal Pistol Holster

AMSOIL
#7 Old 10-11-2011, 09:43 PM
rammitman

(Thread Starter)
Yes I took it out. My ram is a 4.7 qc 4x4 with 33in tires and 3.92 rearend. I did a wot take off and it actually spun the tires haha. The shift from 1 to 2 was fast. Borderline tire barking. On your hemi I bet it would. Only thing is from gear 2 to 3 it shifts hard even when driving slowly. Ill be testing it a bit more tomorrow tho
#8 Old 10-11-2011, 09:46 PM
V2Rider

Cool, hopefully no ill effects on your tranny That 2-3 and 3-4 hard shift would worry me a bit

AMSOIL
#9 Old 10-11-2011, 09:59 PM
rammitman

(Thread Starter)
it actually does. i may put it on a switch in the cab for if i ever take it to the drag strip. im about to put some4.56s under it soon. im gonna run it a few times before and after the gears to see how much it actually helps. i love that it doesnt restrict the power in 1st gear anymore but i do not like the hard shifts. i have no proof that it actually does or does not restrict power in 1st gear but i know normally it just barks a little when i do a WOT take off and today it actually spun about a foot so im just guessing that it does restrict power.
#10 Old 10-11-2011, 10:15 PM
rammitman

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darell_n View Post
Why is the 4 plug 'dreaded'? Most '03 Hemi trucks are NGC (4 plug) and have no problem with the TMR wire being interrupted.
are you talking about the same type that i have in my photo? every post ive ever seen shows the 1B plug to be the one that can be modded. mine does not have the 1B plug. if it does i sure cant find it lol. i just want to be sure im not talking about something here thats old and everyone knows about. as far as i know your not suppose to be able to do the TMR mod on my type.

2003 Dodge RAM 4.7L 4x4 QC: home made CAI. 3.92 gears. (4.56s coming ASAP) Magnaflow 11225 with turndown. (50 series flowmaster RIP, rusted into pieces)
#11 Old 10-11-2011, 10:54 PM
darell_n
Boost, you say!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammitman View Post
are you talking about the same type that i have in my photo? every post ive ever seen shows the 1B plug to be the one that can be modded. mine does not have the 1B plug. if it does i sure cant find it lol. i just want to be sure im not talking about something here thats old and everyone knows about. as far as i know your not suppose to be able to do the TMR mod on my type.
My '03 was built in May '04 and has a 4 plug PCM and a separate TCM. Most I've seen are this way. I wasn't aware they ditched the TCM before the end of the '03 production. I am reasonable sure the TMR is not possible in your case as the torque management request will be an internal function and not a signal transmitted between two different computers.

Cheap. Fast. Reliable. (Pick 2)
#12 Old 10-11-2011, 11:08 PM
dmcelhannon
Moderator David Mack

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Get the '02 Jeep GC TMC, a SC programmer, a Sonnax, and be done.

If you start a thread, be responsible and post the final outcome.

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC
~ Waiting to replace my Ram! ~ 2014 October 23rd WAS Judgement Day! ~
*** After 849-Days (2-Years 119-days) We Nailed Their A$$ to the Barn Door ***

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rio Grande Valley Make-A-Wish Foundation's Raffle

Tickets are now available for purchase directly from the Rio Grande Valley Make-A-Wish office. They can be reached at (956) 686-9474. Even if you are from out of town you can participate because you do not need to be present to win.

1971 Dodge Charger Superbee

Click the Superbee link to see the whole timeline thread....

#13 Old 10-11-2011, 11:30 PM
rammitman

(Thread Starter)
That is why I started this thread. I got the tmr mod to work on my late model 03 without the separate tcu and so far no codes have been thrown. My whole point is for guys who know more about the tcu ecu setup than me to check and confirm I have the one that supposedly can't be modded. If i'm right then this opens the tmr mod up for 03+ guys with the same setup as me.

2003 Dodge RAM 4.7L 4x4 QC: home made CAI. 3.92 gears. (4.56s coming ASAP) Magnaflow 11225 with turndown. (50 series flowmaster RIP, rusted into pieces)
#14 Old 10-12-2011, 09:49 AM
theice
Banned

could you send me pics and instructions i have same setup and would like to try this thx iceman@atlanticbb.net
#15 Old 10-12-2011, 10:02 AM
rammitman

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theice View Post
could you send me pics and instructions i have same setup and would like to try this thx iceman@atlanticbb.net
Should be receiving an email shortly. Please let me know how it goes.

#16 Old 10-12-2011, 10:08 AM
rammitman

(Thread Starter)
What year truck do you have, theice? early 03s and earlier trucks have a seperate tcu. This mod works for them as well but there's a way to remove the wire instead of having to cut it like I had to. Plus there's no 4th plug on them

#17 Old 10-12-2011, 11:01 AM
theice
Banned

mod

i have a 4.7 2002 dodge qc and just went out and looked i have two modules one on fender back near firewall and one on firewall i think the one on the fender is the one i want can't do much now its raining out and i have no garage but any help would be greatly appreciated thx
#18 Old 10-12-2011, 11:47 AM
rammitman

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
i have a 4.7 2002 dodge qc and just went out and looked i have two modules one on fender back near firewall and one on firewall i think the one on the fender is the one i want can't do much now its raining out and i have no garage but any help would be greatly appreciated thx
Oh ok in that case disregard my email. The steps for mine will be a little diffrent than yours. But on yours the module on the fender should have abolt in the middle. Take that bolt out and remove the plug. Look for the yellow wire that goes into terminal 10. Then just pull that wire carefully out of the plug. BE SURE THE PIN COMES OUT AND NOT JUST THE WIRE. IF YOU CAN NOT REMOVE THE PIN AS WELL THEN CUT IT. IF YOUpull THE WIRE OUT OF ITS PIN THEN YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS REPLACING IT! You can cut the wire but I suggest pulling it out since it will be easier to shove it back into the plug than to re solder the wire back together should you ever want to undo the mod. For more info you can search this forum for 'tmr delete'. But what I told you is pretty much the whole process.

#19 Old 10-12-2011, 12:41 PM
dmcelhannon
Moderator David Mack

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
What you have under the hood should look like this with the TCM behind the air cleaner and the ECM on the firewall.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TCM Location.jpg (90.9 KB, 12 views)

If you start a thread, be responsible and post the final outcome.

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC
~ Waiting to replace my Ram! ~ 2014 October 23rd WAS Judgement Day! ~
*** After 849-Days (2-Years 119-days) We Nailed Their A$$ to the Barn Door ***

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rio Grande Valley Make-A-Wish Foundation's Raffle

Tickets are now available for purchase directly from the Rio Grande Valley Make-A-Wish office. They can be reached at (956) 686-9474. Even if you are from out of town you can participate because you do not need to be present to win.

1971 Dodge Charger Superbee

Click the Superbee link to see the whole timeline thread....

#20 Old 10-12-2011, 12:47 PM
rammitman

(Thread Starter)
Spot on. Now this is the reason I started this thread. Its understood that type setup can be modded. Mine is totally diffrent and supposedly cannot be modded. But I did it lol

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.