Sluggish Hemi? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

RUMBLE BEE 1546

Sluggish Hemi? - Posted: 10-01-2011, 01:30 PM
BEE Ready!
State: CA
Post #1

I drove my buddies 04 Ram 1500 HEMI yesterday and was very impressed with it. The tiers chirped when I took off from a start and it really put me back in my seat. When I got in mine I tried to do the same thing and it was just not there. I had all the plugs and fuel injectors cleaned about 3k ago (got it done on dads dime so I also got some other stuff). All the fluids are still at at least half life. The dealer said once I got this stuff done I'd notice a difference. Well I didn't. My buddy has 75k on the clock and it's a QC 2 wd with the 17" factory wheels. His only mod is magnaflow w/ duels from the muffler. Mines the 04 bee reg cab with the 20" factory wheels 4x4. My mods are listed below. I'm not understanding why his seems to have more power then mine. Also, another question. Does the duel exhaust on his make it have any more power then mine? We go through this all the time and he thinks his is better because of it but it's not even true duel and mine has the cutout so I bypass the muffler completely. Thanks for any help!
2004 Rumble Bee #1546 4X4
Ryan
Performance: Super Chips 3865, K&N CAI, Edelbrock Shorty Headers, Dual Exhaust with 18" Magnaflow Muffler and Y-pipe, Power Wire, Sonnax Line Booster, Jet 180* t-stat, Taylor 8.2mm Shortie wires, Flex-A-Lite 183 E-fan, Grounded TB.
Appearance: 22" Black BOSS 334's wrapped in Nexen Tires, LED Tail Lights & Third, Shorty Antenna, Honeycomb Grill, Tint:5% Visor and Rear Window, Deadged, Retro'd 8000k Projected HID Headlights w/ SMD Halos, 3000k HID Fogs, Switchback LED Turns, Full LED Bulb Swap, Snugtop Tonneau w/ Stripe Extensions & 1546 in Stripe
Other: Kenwood KDC-X994, Pioneer 5ch amp wired to 2 10" Diamond Audio Subs in a custom ported box and 2 Kenwood Door Speakers, Clifford Remote Starter/Alarm System w/ Smart Start, Husky Floor Liners, Push Button Start, Jimmy Jammers.
Future Mods: Cam, Alarm Accessories (Motion Sensors, Microphone Sensors, Level Sensor, ect.)...
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

hpstang

Posted: 10-01-2011, 01:37 PM
State: GA
Post #2

You would thank yours would be alot faster being a 2 door

MODS:
Borla catback exhaust 140060
Airaid MIT
3865 Superchips
jet 180 t-stat
more to come

STEREO: alpine head unit, rockford fosgate t500-1bd amp,mtx thunderform, mtx tt6510-04 subs,
JL Audio TR690-TXi (6x9) in the front door,Jl audio tr 525 (5 1/4) for the back doors..

EXTERIOR: bushwacker bed and tail gate caps,factory 20" chrome clads,Nitto Terra Grapplers 305-55-20, dodge chrome factory nerf bars, blue calipers, tinted tail lights and 3rd brake light.

FUTURE MODS:
zone leveling keys
ES9000 procomp shocks front and rear
Moes 85mm throttle body
BBk shorty headers
magnaflow y pipe
Comp 260 cam(with 6.1 supporting mods)
big valve heads
370 stroker short block
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

RUMBLE BEE 1546

Posted: 10-01-2011, 02:01 PM
BEE Ready!
Post #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpstang View Post
You would thank yours would be alot faster being a 2 door
That's what I thought too. I know mine has the 4wd which adds weight but I wouldn't think it adds as much as a having a QC.

I'm not understanding why his seems so much more powerful. Im not sure if I should take it to the stealership and say why the hell or what I should do. I heard that you can reset the computer and trove like he'll for a few weeks and it would adjust to the driving patterns. How do you go about doing this?
Ryan
Performance: Super Chips 3865, K&N CAI, Edelbrock Shorty Headers, Dual Exhaust with 18" Magnaflow Muffler and Y-pipe, Power Wire, Sonnax Line Booster, Jet 180* t-stat, Taylor 8.2mm Shortie wires, Flex-A-Lite 183 E-fan, Grounded TB.
Appearance: 22" Black BOSS 334's wrapped in Nexen Tires, LED Tail Lights & Third, Shorty Antenna, Honeycomb Grill, Tint:5% Visor and Rear Window, Deadged, Retro'd 8000k Projected HID Headlights w/ SMD Halos, 3000k HID Fogs, Switchback LED Turns, Full LED Bulb Swap, Snugtop Tonneau w/ Stripe Extensions & 1546 in Stripe
Other: Kenwood KDC-X994, Pioneer 5ch amp wired to 2 10" Diamond Audio Subs in a custom ported box and 2 Kenwood Door Speakers, Clifford Remote Starter/Alarm System w/ Smart Start, Husky Floor Liners, Push Button Start, Jimmy Jammers.
Future Mods: Cam, Alarm Accessories (Motion Sensors, Microphone Sensors, Level Sensor, ect.)...

N1K

Posted: 10-01-2011, 02:02 PM
City: Littleton
State: CO
View This User's Gallery
Post #4

20's and 4x4.
What gear does yours have?
My 08 is the same way but I live in Co so a power loss is expected some what but 20-30 feet out it feels like some one rear ended me and it takes off. Same thing from a roll theres a delay and then it goes. Annoying as hell.
3.92's and 275-65-20's here might be 285 nothing much bigger then stock 34.2 in tall.
Black Truck Club #223

RUMBLE BEE 1546

Posted: 10-01-2011, 02:18 PM
BEE Ready!
Post #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1K View Post
20's and 4x4.
What gear does yours have?
My 08 is the same way but I live in Co so a power loss is expected some what but 20-30 feet out it feels like some one rear ended me and it takes off. Same thing from a roll theres a delay and then it goes. Annoying as hell.
3.92's and 275-65-20's here might be 285 nothing much bigger then stock 34.2 in tall.
Factory 3.92 LSD. With the difference in power I'm thinking SC will be my next mod, then I have to ask, which model of SC or is there a better brand then SC?
Ryan

N1K

Posted: 10-01-2011, 02:33 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #6

Well with a sc your going to need a tuner so you might want to do that first and see if tunes help. Since your going to need one anyway couldn't hurt right.
theres a few good write ups of installs. Magna and whipple come to to mind. I really like the roots style huffers.
Black Truck Club #223

N1K

Posted: 10-01-2011, 02:34 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #7

Oh you ment super chips huh sc.. Ok got cha yeah carry on carry on. lol
Black Truck Club #223

RUMBLE BEE 1546

Posted: 10-01-2011, 02:38 PM
BEE Ready!
Post #8

Quote:
Oh you ment super chips huh sc.. Ok got cha yeah carry on carry on. lol
Yep. I don't have that kind of money laying around
If I was ready to go that far I'd probably start out with getting a bigger hemi first
Ryan

N1K

Posted: 10-01-2011, 02:44 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #9

From what I've read the sc with the trans tuning is great for the dd guys you can adjust the shifts at part throttle. Racing there's really not much need for that and a lot guys use the Diablo http://www.diablosport.com/. Which was What I was gonna get until I came to this site and saw so much back and forth on them now I'm not sure which to get. Plans for a srt gc in a few years and everyone uses the Diablo on those so I thought it would be the same for the Ram but thats not so. For what I use my truck for I was leaning towards the sc for the trans tuning but I want to use the tuner on both and not have to buy another one. They both have new models out too so. I can't really help ya much there..
Black Truck Club #223

N1K

Posted: 10-01-2011, 02:52 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #10

If your buddies tire size is smaller then yours that will make a differance. Shoud see if he'll let you try the rears and see if they are smaller. Just dont put in it 4wd while your testing.
Black Truck Club #223

RUMBLE BEE 1546

Posted: 10-01-2011, 03:30 PM
BEE Ready!
Post #11

Quote:
If your buddies tire size is smaller then yours that will make a differance. Shoud see if he'll let you try the rears and see if they are smaller. Just dont put in it 4wd while your testing.
I know that that makes a difference but I didn't think that it would be that big. I may try swapping to test it out.
Ryan

V2Rider

Posted: 10-01-2011, 03:45 PM
State: MN
View This User's Gallery
Post #12

Geez, I have almost an 8k lb truck and can light the rears up from a dead stop. It definately throws you back, my inlaw has a 2010 ram 2500 stock, and he thinks mine has more punch, and better response. You should do the duals, IMO, the more flow the better. Then a CAI and bore the TB. Get a SC and set it at a 91 performance tune. She'll wake up
BASIC-2003 Dodge Ram QC 2500HD 4X4 Hemi Laramie, Leather, Power/Heated EVERYTHING, Remote Start, Homelink Overhead Console, Prodigy Trailer Brake Controller, 295/70/17 Trail Grapplers on Double Pump wheels

PERFORMANCE-SC3815 Programmer 91 performance tune, FastMan Ported ThrottleBody, Sonnax Line Booster, Magnaflow Dual Exhaust, 180* T-Stat, K&N CAI, AirRam Jet Stream Scoop, BlackMagic Efan 183, 6.1 Springs, Taylor 8.2 Thundervolt Plug Wires, Herko Performance Coils, Powerwire, DC 180 Alternator, 4.56 Gears, Dynamic Grounding Kit, K&N Crankcase Breather
ON THE WAY: Cam, Diff covers, deep tranny pan, 6.1 oil pump

SUSPENSION-2" lift front 1 1/2" add a leaf rear, ProComp ES9000 Nitro shocks, XRF Ball Joints, 09 Steering Upgrade, Skyjacker HD Steering Stabalizer, MAXX Leveled Swaybar Links, Spicer Triple Seal Axle U Joints, BruteForce HD Driveshaft U Joints

COSMETIC/PROTECTION- LineX Spray on bed liner, Mopar Door Edge Guards, Underside coated in Black Rustoleum, Transfer Case Skid Plate, Tonneu cover, Chrome Bed Rails, Chrome Step Nerftubes, HEMI Hitch Plug, Hood Spears
ON THE WAY: Front tinted windows, smoked headlights/tail lights, 3rd light, Xpel Rocker panel protector

INTERIOR- Weathertech Digital front and rear mats, Custom Paint job, Efan manual switch, GX65 Blue Radar Detector Hardwired, Hidden 45cal Pistol Holster
ON THE WAY: Navigation Radio, Professional interior detail with leather restore

AMSOIL

RUMBLE BEE 1546

Posted: 10-01-2011, 04:02 PM
BEE Ready!
Post #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2Rider View Post
Geez, I have almost an 8k lb truck and can light the rears up from a dead stop. It definately throws you back, my inlaw has a 2010 ram 2500 stock, and he thinks mine has more punch, and better response. You should do the duals, IMO, the more flow the better. Then a CAI and bore the TB. Get a SC and set it at a 91 performance tune. She'll wake up
I want duels but I'm holding off until I can get the whole exhaust system redone. Plus I have the ruble bee so I need to order the rear gfx peace that has the cutout for the driverside. I'm looking into the super chips now and I'm waiting on my CAI too. What SC middle number do I need?
Ryan

V2Rider

Posted: 10-01-2011, 04:06 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #14

If you have an 04+ a 3865 would be good, an 03 does the same with a 3815 as a 3865. With a 3865 you get upgraded trans tuning and such, but only if you have an 04+

1000 posts!
BASIC-2003 Dodge Ram QC 2500HD 4X4 Hemi Laramie, Leather, Power/Heated EVERYTHING, Remote Start, Homelink Overhead Console, Prodigy Trailer Brake Controller, 295/70/17 Trail Grapplers on Double Pump wheels

PERFORMANCE-SC3815 Programmer 91 performance tune, FastMan Ported ThrottleBody, Sonnax Line Booster, Magnaflow Dual Exhaust, 180* T-Stat, K&N CAI, AirRam Jet Stream Scoop, BlackMagic Efan 183, 6.1 Springs, Taylor 8.2 Thundervolt Plug Wires, Herko Performance Coils, Powerwire, DC 180 Alternator, 4.56 Gears, Dynamic Grounding Kit, K&N Crankcase Breather

SUSPENSION-2" lift front 1 1/2" add a leaf rear, ProComp ES9000 Nitro shocks, XRF Ball Joints, 09 Steering Upgrade, Skyjacker HD Steering Stabalizer, MAXX Leveled Swaybar Links, Spicer Triple Seal Axle U Joints, BruteForce HD Driveshaft U Joints

COSMETIC/PROTECTION- LineX Spray on bed liner, Mopar Door Edge Guards, Underside coated in Black Rustoleum, Transfer Case Skid Plate, Tonneu cover, Chrome Bed Rails, Chrome Step Nerftubes, HEMI Hitch Plug, Hood Spears
ON THE WAY: Front tinted windows, smoked headlights/tail lights, 3rd light, Xpel Rocker panel protector

INTERIOR- Weathertech Digital front and rear mats, Custom Paint job, Efan manual switch, GX65 Blue Radar Detector Hardwired, Hidden 45cal Pistol Holster

AMSOIL

V2Rider

Posted: 10-01-2011, 04:07 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #15

I also see you live in hot California, throw a 180 degree Tstat in to keep the engine a little cooler

AMSOIL

hpstang

Posted: 10-01-2011, 04:18 PM
State: GA
Post #16

keep up posted, hope it all comes together for you

MODS:
Borla catback exhaust 140060
Airaid MIT
3865 Superchips
jet 180 t-stat
more to come

STEREO: alpine head unit, rockford fosgate t500-1bd amp,mtx thunderform, mtx tt6510-04 subs,
JL Audio TR690-TXi (6x9) in the front door,Jl audio tr 525 (5 1/4) for the back doors..

EXTERIOR: bushwacker bed and tail gate caps,factory 20" chrome clads,Nitto Terra Grapplers 305-55-20, dodge chrome factory nerf bars, blue calipers, tinted tail lights and 3rd brake light.

FUTURE MODS:
zone leveling keys
ES9000 procomp shocks front and rear
Moes 85mm throttle body
BBk shorty headers
magnaflow y pipe
Comp 260 cam(with 6.1 supporting mods)
big valve heads
370 stroker short block

RUMBLE BEE 1546

Posted: 10-01-2011, 05:24 PM
BEE Ready!
Post #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2Rider View Post
I also see you live in hot California, throw a 180 degree Tstat in to keep the engine a little cooler
I've seen slot of talk abbot the 180 degree tstat on here. This is my first car so I'm kind of learning as I go. So bear with my automotive stupidity, but what is a 180 degree tstat and what does it do? I'm not very mechanically inclined when it comes to engines but I'm learning as I go
Ryan

RUMBLE BEE 1546

Posted: 10-01-2011, 08:38 PM
BEE Ready!
Post #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUMBLE BEE 1546 View Post
I've seen slot of talk abbot the 180 degree tstat on here. This is my first car so I'm kind of learning as I go. So bear with my automotive stupidity, but what is a 180 degree tstat and what does it do? I'm not very mechanically inclined when it comes to engines but I'm learning as I go
I looked it up. I already know what it was though haha just bought it from summit racing for $35. Is the super chips worth it? From what I've seen it is but I'd like to hear from people who have it.
Ryan

V2Rider

Posted: 10-01-2011, 08:41 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #19

YES. It is worth it. Especially at the 91 performance tune. Also, good grab on getting a 180 stat. I am just in process of getting a black magic flex lite Efan Should free up a few more HP and Torque

AMSOIL

USMC1188

Posted: 10-01-2011, 10:03 PM
Takin' Care of Old Red
City: Hamilton
State: OH
View This User's Gallery
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #20

Superchips is DEFINITELY worth it. I had one on my 05 Hemi 1500 and LOVED it. See if someone has one on here in the classifieds used. There's no reason to pay full price for one

2007 Ram 2500 5.9 CTD 4X4 QCLB
AMSOIL from J&S Engine Lube 15W40 Heavy Duty Diesel and Marine Oil, Severe Gear 75W90 gear oil in front and rear differentials, and Signature Series ATF in transmission, transfer case, and power steering, 305/65R17 Mickey Thompson ATZs wrapped around black H2 rims, Red and Black SRT Hood, Pacer Clear LED Cablights, Painted Valve Cover, MagHytec Rear Differential Pan, Smarty S-06 Tuned, AFE Stage II CAI, AFE Deep Transmission Pan, Black SS 4" Diamond Eye Turbo Back Exhaust with Black 15" 4-6" Tip, Turbo-Silencer MIA, Autometer Phantom Pyro, Boost, and Trans Gauges in A Pillar, Bilstein 5100 shocks and steering stabilizer, BD Diesel Sway Bar Links, UPOL Raptor Spray-On Bedliner, Truxedo TruXport Bed Cover, Mostly Debadged

The 1948 P15 Project

Trucks and Guns Club #148
Red Truck Club #354
Military Truck Club #136
Closed Thread