Hood scoops and lower grille mods... - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

#1 Old 09-28-2011, 11:15 AM
Harley's Ram

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hood scoops and lower grille mods...

A couple of mods I've done within the last couple of days and thought I would share. Hood scoops have been drilled out and the heat shield cut to where a little more air comes in and the heat comes out when parked. Lower grille cut out just to eliminate some of the cheap plastic look and allow room for some tow hooks that are coming soon. All done with a rotary tool...

2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Sport, Flat black stock 20's w/33x12.50x20 Federal Couragia M/T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-28-2011, 11:40 AM
myoung84
Administrator

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Looks good!

2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman
Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Vararam Intake | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Toyo A/T II Tires | Bilstein 5100 Front Shocks @ 2.1" | Bilstein 5100 Rear Shocks | Movotech UCA's
Bora 1.25" Spacers | AirLift Air Bags | Bestop PowerBoards | Undercover LUX Bed Cover | BedRug

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Overland Hemi

Magnaflow Exhaust | Volant Intake | Diablo inTune w/Hemifever Tuning | BT Oil Catch Can

#3 Old 09-28-2011, 01:01 PM
Ghostknife

looks good i just did the lower grill mod yesterday on mine too, but i have to find the dremel to fine tune the cut

Last edited by Ghostknife; 09-28-2011 at 02:33 PM.
#4 Old 09-29-2011, 11:13 AM
Harley's Ram

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostknife View Post
looks good i just did the lower grill mod yesterday on mine too, but i have to find the dremel to fine tune the cut
That's the hardest part or that part that takes the most time anyways. The plastic likes to get heated and bunch up to make a mess. Good luck and yours looks good in the pic.

2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Sport, Flat black stock 20's w/33x12.50x20 Federal Couragia M/T
#5 Old 09-29-2011, 11:29 AM
Harley's Ram

(Thread Starter)
How did I forget! Also did my interior before the other and got rid of the silver trim that matched nothing on the truck. Went with a universal black metallic to start and see how it turned out and I like it.

Crappy pic quality...

#6 Old 09-29-2011, 01:12 PM
tadamson

Sweet looking. Great work on the detailed cutouts.

How hard was it to pull the interior trim for paint?
#7 Old 09-29-2011, 02:15 PM
Harley's Ram

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadamson View Post
Sweet looking. Great work on the detailed cutouts.

How hard was it to pull the interior trim for paint?
Thanks man! Not hard at all except the part where you're starting and nervous to pull and tug. A few screws to remove and the rest is pretty easy.

#8 Old 09-29-2011, 03:40 PM
Thor09

Looks good!

2012 Outdoorsman 1500

|6" RCX, Bilstein 5100s @ 2.8", Air Lift 1000 airbags, TGC 1.5" Rear Coil spacers|Cooper STT 37x12.50 on Fuel Maverick 17x10 -24 offset|
|GoRhino Dominator II steps|Westin Lightbar|Bullys Performance LED bar|G2 Bakflip|Line-x bed|Weathertech Mats|Mopar Door Sills|AEM Brute Force CAI|Mygig Lockpick v.5|Diablosport Trinity w/ Hemifever tune|
|MG Painted Quads|Morimoto Projectors/Halos|Phillips LED Tails|6K HIDs|Recon White Lightning Lightbar|14" Magnaflow w/no resonator|
#9 Old 09-29-2011, 04:32 PM
adwdurango

Looks awesome! Ditch the little plastic piece under the bumper though!

2004 Flame Red Durango Limited
5.7L Hemi / AWD / 3.55's
17" x 9" (-12) Black XD Spys / 285/70 Nitto Trail Grapplers / Cranked Torsion Bars
Color Matched Grill Shell / Grillcraft Mesh Inserts / 6k HID's in the fogs / K&N 77 Intake / Resonator Chop & Flowmaster 40 / Leds in several different places
Some other small mods with even bigger plans.

Sig pic by: BMRbrnSNRbrd

#10 Old 09-29-2011, 05:18 PM
BMRbrnSNRbrd
Try harder

Can you do a close up pic of what you did with the lower bumper grill?

Mineral Gray 2010 Dodge Ram CC Hemi Sport

Exterior: Limo tint | Painted tips | Painted calipers | De-badged | Painted grill inserts | Gloss black b-pillars | Color matched antenna base |
VHT tinted puddle lights | Color matched tailgate handle | Shaved and two-toned grill | Painted Vararam lid w/ two-toned Ram badge |
Color matched Laramie 2500 flares | Shaved tailgate badge | Shortened and painted antenna
Lighting: Color matched headlights retrofitted with 5000k Morimoto projectors |
5000k HID fog lights tinted with Lamin-x | 6000k HID retrofitted reverse lights
Interior: Color matched interior plastics | 2 MTX 12" subs in a cheap box | REN MyGig 30gb headunit | Black microsuede wrapped headliner and sun visors | Black microsuede wrapped and shaved pillars | Black microsuede wrapped custom made door inserts | SEM black painted interior plastics
Suspension: McGaughy's 2/5 Economy drop | BrakeMotive cross-drilled and slotted rotors | All black Milano M724 22s | 305/40R22 Nitto 420s | AirLift Helper Bags
Performance: Superchips Vivid Paq w/ trans tuning | Vararam Air Grabber | Magnaflow 18" Muffler | Raceland USA E-Cutout |
Billet Technology Oil Catch Can | Clutch fan delete | 180 T-stat | Magnaflow Y-Pipe with relocated crossover pipe

#11 Old 09-30-2011, 03:29 PM
Adidas_kn
Agent Orange!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Where is the air from the scoops going? Just dumping into the top of the hood liner? It all looks good though.

09' QC 2wd, Custom Lift with air suspension, Custom fit 2011 2500 front bumper, Challenger style hood, color matched everything, Vararam, SRT8 headers, x-piped side exhaust, 87mm TB, V6 E-Fan, 4.56's, 35/12.50/20's on 20x9 Falken ORC wheels.
2014 Ram Express Black Edition RCSB, 8hp70 8spd, 3.55/LSD. Vararam Air Grabber, Vararam Power chamber, ARH 1 3/4 LT headers, 3"side exit Spintech/Boomtube exhaust, 180 T-Stat, ATI SuperDamper UDP, V6 E-Fan, DS Trinity with Jay Green Tunes, 3/5 BellTech, staggered 32" Nitto 420's, RollPan.
#12 Old 09-30-2011, 09:51 PM
BMRbrnSNRbrd
Try harder

Even if they don't do anything, it would be nice to say it's a functional hood vs non-functional.

Exterior: Limo tint | Painted tips | Painted calipers | De-badged | Painted grill inserts | Gloss black b-pillars | Color matched antenna base |
VHT tinted puddle lights | Color matched tailgate handle | Shaved and two-toned grill | Painted Vararam lid w/ two-toned Ram badge |
Color matched Laramie 2500 flares | Shaved tailgate badge | Shortened and painted antenna
Interior: Color matched interior plastics | 2 MTX 12" subs in a cheap box | REN MyGig 30gb headunit | Black microsuede wrapped headliner and sun visors | Black microsuede wrapped and shaved pillars | Black microsuede wrapped custom made door inserts | SEM black painted interior plastics
Suspension: McGaughy's 2/5 Economy drop | BrakeMotive cross-drilled and slotted rotors | All black Milano M724 22s | 305/40R22 Nitto 420s | AirLift Helper Bags
Performance: Superchips Vivid Paq w/ trans tuning | Vararam Air Grabber | Magnaflow 18" Muffler | Raceland USA E-Cutout |
Billet Technology Oil Catch Can | Clutch fan delete | 180 T-stat | Magnaflow Y-Pipe with relocated crossover pipe

#13 Old 10-01-2011, 09:22 PM
RedExpress11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostknife View Post
What did you use to cut the grill? How do you remove the insert from the bumper?

2011 Ram 1500 Express
#14 Old 10-01-2011, 09:27 PM
BMRbrnSNRbrd
Try harder

Removing the insert is very easy...just slide under there and look. You simply pop out some tabs from the loops they insert into.

I would say a dremel and a steady hand would make for a clean cut. Just use any kind of tape to mark your lines so you stay straight.

#15 Old 10-01-2011, 09:33 PM
Ghostknife

hell i used a 4.5" cutoff wheel and then a dremel to fine tune it in
#16 Old 10-01-2011, 10:19 PM
RedExpress11

Thanks for the info, I am going to try this tomorrow.

2011 Ram 1500 Express
#17 Old 10-11-2011, 05:49 AM
straightravage

I have the same question as well.... Where does the air scoop channel the air into?? I looked under my hood... and the Fire blanket coveres both points where the air would come in!
at higher speeds do you have to worry about that blanket coming off hood and falling on the engine?
Just wondering??
#18 Old 10-25-2011, 07:42 AM
straightravage

Bump for an answer?
#19 Old 10-25-2011, 02:48 PM
Musclemckeester
5.7L HEMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightravage View Post
I have the same question as well.... Where does the air scoop channel the air into?? I looked under my hood... and the Fire blanket coveres both points where the air would come in!
at higher speeds do you have to worry about that blanket coming off hood and falling on the engine?
Just wondering??
It basically goes nowhere, just up into the back of the hood. The hood was a really poor design. Some will get dropped into the engine, some will go to the back of the hood and be useless. What he did - and I did the same thing - was cut open the fire blanket where the scoops roughly open. There's not that much air going in through the scoops for you to worry about the entire thing falling down.
#20 Old 12-30-2011, 05:07 PM
ipsd39173

Two ques. First- Ghostknife, are you planing to paint the insert white? Second-HarleysRam, what did you use on the silver trim and was there much prep work? I know they have paint made for plastics but have never used them. Thanks. I just traded my 2006 for a 2012 a few weeks ago and I am ready to start some changes.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.