DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

89 Ram50 wont start..

5K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Whittim 
#1 ·
Hey guys i got a 1989 Ram 50 and im hoping i can get some help here. She drives like a champ but she only starts when i push start it, once i turn it off she wont start again unless i pop the clutch, i turn the key and all the instrument lights come on but it wont crank....:mad:

Please any help will be appreciated
Thank you in advance

#2 ·
can you hear the solenoid clicking on the starter?? check for a crappy connection from battery to starter. another possibility is the neutral safety switch has conked out you can just the two wire together and try that if it works you need a switch.

#3 ·
no clicking from the selenoid, i cleaned and te-did the battery connectors, ill try the neutral safety switch tomorow :) thank you

#5 ·
worked on it more and still nothing... :(

#6 ·
Should not be difficult to remove the starter and bench test it. Once you remove it, make sure the case of the starter is grounded and put power to it. To be safe put it in a vice. I have done this on the ground before however, just be aware that if the starter does work, there will be some thrust when it has power put to it.

#7 ·
Do you have a test light? If so have a buddy try and crank the truck over and check the small wire going to your starter for power. If it has power than the starter circuit is working. If you have power coming directly from the larger cable aka from battery to the starter and the cable leads are good and not corroded, then its most likely your starter.

#8 ·
well guys i rigged it somehow that now she start,s i got a wire from the starter to a push button and from the push button to the grownd. now if i turn the key to acc then press the push start and turn the key she starts every time..... i wish i knew how the hell i did this lol

#9 ·
k so basically you bypassed the starter relay circuit. when you turn your key to the start position you put power to the coil side of a relay which in turns closes the relay allowing the starter circuit to energize.

#10 ·
pretty much yes...... so to fix this correctly what would i need to replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.