05 Hemi Crankshaft Position sensor - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 09-13-2011, 08:57 PM
sfar7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
05 Hemi Crankshaft Position sensor

I have a haynes book and i've read other places that the ckp is located on the back of the block on the passenger side..but i have to tell you, i'm having a heck of a time locating it. not used to getting under the vehicle since my diy experience is with brakes, alternators, starters, etc. Anyone have a picture or a diagram that could spell it out for a novice? thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-14-2011, 01:56 PM
Beach Assault

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfar7 View Post
I have a haynes book and i've read other places that the ckp is located on the back of the block on the passenger side..but i have to tell you, i'm having a heck of a time locating it. not used to getting under the vehicle since my diy experience is with brakes, alternators, starters, etc. Anyone have a picture or a diagram that could spell it out for a novice? thanks.
PUzzled. I thought it was on the front of the engine at the main crank pulley.

Big Black Limited w/Hemi and 20" Chrome Ram Wheels
MOPAR CAT Back exhaust
Rancho RSX Series Shocks
Roof Carrier for 20" Spare
Removed Front Spoiler
Tinted Front Windows
Blackened Tail Lights
Removed 'mini' Spare
SmittyBilt Grill Guard
Blacked out the grill
1 1/2" Torsion Lift
Westin Sidebars
PVC Ghetto SRI

Red Brake Calipers
Slotted Rotors
Hawk Pads

OEM Mudflaps

DodgeTalk.com Durango Club Member #41
#3 Old 09-15-2011, 10:34 AM
MileHighRango

its on the back passenger...if im not mistaken. Its is Extremely easy to get to if there is no starter, but it shouldn't been too hard with the starter. The biggest piece of advice i can give is to remove the wheel well, and possible the front passenger wheel because it makes it 10x's easier. Here is a picture where you can see the sensor, i know it a bad iPhone pic but is should work. If my memory is correct there is a 10mm bolt holding it in..may be an 8mm. Hope this helps!

New blinker fluid, rotated the lug nuts, spring air in the tires, New Moog muffler bearing, and more......
Courtesy of RedNeck153

2004 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi
1985 BMW 635CSi (65k original miles)
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7-SOLD
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Big Horn Hemi
2006 Jeep Commander Limited Hemi

Sig pic by: BMRbrnSNRbrd

#4 Old 09-15-2011, 07:32 PM
sfar7

(Thread Starter)
thanks so much for that picture. I see the sensor...and if i am seeing it right, that looks like if i took the front passenger tire off, and then wheel well, it would be right there on the rear part of the well? The picture isn't bad....just trying to get my bearings on the angle it was taken. Again, thanks a ton.?
PS, the problems that i was having has (at least temporarily) stopped. Is there any chance that bad gasoline can cause similar problems/symptoms and even trigger that code? Seems like an odd question, but ever since i got a new full tank, it's been running perfectly and i'm wondering if i should hold off?

Thanks.
#5 Old 09-16-2011, 11:33 AM
screwballl
2nd04Durango

Hold off for a few weeks. Typically if it is a bad sensor, it will toss the code (P1391) on and off randomly. This code covers both sensors so it could be either one, or both.

I had that problem on my 04 4.7L, code would come up every few weeks for a few days at a time then disappear again, but I did end up replacing both sensors within a few days of each other since one sensor went (cam sensor), and then the other (crank sensor). Once I replaced the sensors, I never saw that code again, and yes it will run rough if the sensor is malfunctioning (for either sensor). They seem to be tied into each other so I think if one starts to go it may (or may not) take the other with it. Or it may be if the code comes back up you replaced the wrong sensor, but it won't hurt to keep the first new one in there and not worry about it.

If the code comes back, I would replace the one anyways, but keep an eye out for the same code (P1391) after replacing it, and if it does, replace the cam sensor.

04 Durango Limited 5.7L decked out with every option Dodge made at the time. 75,000 Miles as of July 2014
#6 Old 09-21-2011, 06:15 PM
sfar7

(Thread Starter)
ok....it got worse!

Went away for about a week, but just came back and now the check engine light is blinking. I'd say it's worse now. The good news, i have the part. MileHigh rango, your picture was good...but i'm having trouble getting my bearings. is that the back of the FRONT, PASSENGER wheel well?

Going to get after it tonight.
#7 Old 09-21-2011, 08:14 PM
MileHighRango

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfar7 View Post
Went away for about a week, but just came back and now the check engine light is blinking. I'd say it's worse now. The good news, i have the part. MileHigh rango, your picture was good...but i'm having trouble getting my bearings. is that the back of the FRONT, PASSENGER wheel well?

Going to get after it tonight.
You are correct the sensor is on the rear passenger side of the engine block, by the starter. I would take out the wheel well, and it will save at least an hour.

New blinker fluid, rotated the lug nuts, spring air in the tires, New Moog muffler bearing, and more......
Courtesy of RedNeck153

2004 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi
1985 BMW 635CSi (65k original miles)
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7-SOLD
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Big Horn Hemi
2006 Jeep Commander Limited Hemi

Sig pic by: BMRbrnSNRbrd

Closed Thread