lifter tick? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP DODGETALK MERCHANDISE ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 2nd Gen (94 01) Forums > 2G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

WickedQuick

lifter tick? - Posted: 09-12-2011, 01:26 PM
wickedquick
City: West Des Moines
State: IA
Post #1

Is that soft tick tick tick tick i hear when i accelerate lifter tick? If so what excatly is it and how do I fix it? I would search but im at work and cant be on the computer right now and not knowing how to fix it is driving me nuts. THANKS!
Advertisement

DODGEPICKUP

Posted: 09-12-2011, 02:21 PM
Post #2

could be your injectors....engine ping on acceleration....bad pcv valve....could be alot of thing....does it do it cold warm hot, what rpm you hear it most....hear it more going on a flat road or up a grade....could be alot of things......
DIY CUT,PORTED,EPOXY FILLED KEGGER/ALUMINUM PLENUM PLATE,53MM THROTTLE BODY
JACOBS PRO STREET CD IGNITION
BOSCH DESIGN 3'S 24LBS VETTE INJECTORS
MOPAR P DOUG THORLEY TRI-Y'S
TAYLOR 8.2 THUNDERVOLT WIRE'S
EBC ROTORS N PADS,RUSSELL SS BRAKE HOSES
MARCH UNDERDRIVE CRANK PULLEY
1 TON X-OVER STEERING
DT PRO-FAB TRAC BAR
HELL BENT STEEL 2IN SPACER/SKJ LCA
WINNDEKAR/DSS STEERING BRACE
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

WickedQuick

Posted: 09-12-2011, 02:52 PM
wickedquick
Post #3

I hear it most from a dead stop. Hot or cold onflat ground. Just started doing itafter plenum fix and 180 stat install

DODGEPICKUP

Posted: 09-12-2011, 03:07 PM
Post #4

directly after you fixed the plenum you did do an oil/filter change or drive a few miles?....coolant all ways gets into the lifter valley down into the pan....pull your oil cap and pcv valve have look for milkshake color oil....still could be your injectors though more so if you replaced the o-rings....some metal pipe to the ear can help you pin point weres the ticking is coming from....
1 TON X-OVER STEERING
DT PRO-FAB TRAC BAR
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

WickedQuick

Posted: 09-12-2011, 04:37 PM
wickedquick
Post #5

good thinking. No after the fix I let her sit for like over 24 hours to make sure the permetex cured. But i honestly cant remember if i have done an oil change since then. and i did not do new o-rings. Maybe ill try a bottle of injector cleaner or seafoam in the tank to see if that helps?

could it be pinging from the 180 stat and not getting up to temp? Could a heavier weight oil help?

V-10 GUY

Smile  Posted: 09-12-2011, 06:57 PM
State: AZ
Post #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedQuick View Post
good thinking. No after the fix I let her sit for like over 24 hours to make sure the permetex cured. But i honestly cant remember if i have done an oil change since then. and i did not do new o-rings. Maybe ill try a bottle of injector cleaner or seafoam in the tank to see if that helps?

could it be pinging from the 180 stat and not getting up to temp? Could a heavier weight oil help?
DON'T USE SEAFOAM. It will screw up your CAT. There is some good info on SEAFOAM from a member that works for an oil company on this board.
REFER to (Cats 02 senors for V-10)

Last edited by V-10 GUY : 09-12-2011 at 07:05 PM.

96magnumram

Posted: 09-12-2011, 09:37 PM
State: FL
Post #7

I would try a bottle or two of Berrymans B12 chemtool in the tank...that stuff is REALLY good...if that didnt work, there is nothing wrong withadding a little atf in the oil, and running it a little bit to try and clean it up...then promptly change the oil and filter...

2x4

Posted: 09-13-2011, 06:18 PM
300K & still going
City: SW Michigan
State: MI
Post #8

I'm not too sure about the "mechanic in a can" products but Lucas does make some good additives. Saved my Camaros engine when the oil pump pickup took a day off at the track one day You really could actually feel it on the internal parts when I tore it down.

Are you sure its not spark knock? Spark knock will sound like a few marbles in a coffee can but only when accelerating. If a shot of premium gas fixes it then thats the problem. Its usually caused by overadvanced timing, poor gas or compression being too hight for the octane used.

Lifter tick is constant "tapping" but usually goes away after the truck is warmed up. Injectors can make a very similiar sound & may come & go without warning. If you gas mileage took a dump I'd be looking at the injectors.

Rod knock is the heavy thud sound that only comes on during acceleration (up a hill). I'm thinking its not that at all, but maybe more of the injector or lifter tick.

I'm not sure if the computer can limit total timing, but it may be worth a look at with the timing light.

Did you try the ole vacuume hose in the ear trick to listen to different areas? Its a old trick but works pretty good for finding a loud injector!

FYI, I'm running a 180* thermostat & have had no new noises (just the same old ones!). I think the worst thing the 180* stat would cause is a rich fuel mixture & little heat on cold days. Temp stays just below 200* all the time according to the factory gauge.

Last edited by 2x4 : 09-13-2011 at 06:19 PM. Reason: typos!

V-10 GUY

Smile  Posted: 09-13-2011, 09:32 PM
State: AZ
Post #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96magnumram View Post
I would try a bottle or two of Berrymans B12 chemtool in the tank...that stuff is REALLY good...if that didnt work, there is nothing wrong withadding a little atf in the oil, and running it a little bit to try and clean it up...then promptly change the oil and filter...
Berrysman is another of the old tried & true product. I read a test with injector cleaners & Lucas doen't rate that good. For oil I use Power Punch or Morrey's. For injector cleaning the best I have found is at the dollar stores. Their Octane Booster is also good & ONLY a BUCK.

96magnumram

Posted: 09-13-2011, 10:57 PM
Post #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-10 GUY View Post
Berrysman is another of the old tried & true product. I read a test with injector cleaners & Lucas doen't rate that good. For oil I use Power Punch or Morrey's. For injector cleaning the best I have found is at the dollar stores. Their Octane Booster is also good & ONLY a BUCK.

Berrymans B12 Chemtool is the only additive/chemical I will use in my truck...I do not use anything in my oil,ever...never have never will. After working for an oil company for the last 12 years, I have realized that oils are blended with the additives the oil company's labs have tested for it to do it's job properly. Addiing to that additive package with other chemicles/additives can throw off the additive package the oil company has built into the oils. IMO, if someone is using an oil that they feel the need to add to it with additives/chemicles, they should probably buy better oil.

OldBettsey

Posted: 09-14-2011, 09:25 AM
State: CO
Post #11

where can you find "Berrymans B12 Chemtool"

96magnumram

Posted: 09-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Post #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBettsey View Post
where can you find "Berrymans B12 Chemtool"
Walmart, autozone, Advance

DODGEPICKUP

Posted: 09-14-2011, 04:05 PM
Post #13

do an oil/filter change asap....run some mopar combustion cleaner through it per the direction on the can....
1 TON X-OVER STEERING
DT PRO-FAB TRAC BAR

WickedQuick

Posted: 09-18-2011, 06:19 PM
wickedquick
Post #14

allright thanks guys. Im pretty sure its lifter tick cuz its quite. I can only hear it when im driving next to a building or wall and the sound bounces back in my open window. It does not sound terrible at all, just not quiet like it used to. Can a bad header gasket or crack make a sound like that?

WickedQuick

Posted: 09-18-2011, 06:20 PM
wickedquick
Post #15

and I agree with not doing a bunch of oil additives. If your buying quality oil you shouldnt need all that extra stuff. Fuel on the other hand is different

ClubCab5.9

Posted: 09-19-2011, 07:42 PM
State: OTHER
Post #16

Quote:
allright thanks guys. Im pretty sure its lifter tick cuz its quite. I can only hear it when im driving next to a building or wall and the sound bounces back in my open window. It does not sound terrible at all, just not quiet like it used to. Can a bad header gasket or crack make a sound like that?
Believe a cracked or leaking header could sound close. It would be louder on a cold start then warmed up i think.

ABF

Posted: 09-20-2011, 02:57 PM
State: CA
Post #17

Quote:

Yep, a bad header gasket can sound like a lifter tick. Mine did. A Remflex gasket solved the problem.
Hedman Hedders 79540
Super 10 Series Flowmaster 8425152 SIDO

CARL2206

Posted: 09-21-2011, 11:16 AM
State: OTHER
Post #18

Hope you changed your oil as Dodgepickup has said even if it is not the reason for the tick it should be done anyways after a plenum repair. Then move on to other possibilities.

WickedQuick

Posted: 09-29-2011, 10:20 PM
wickedquick
Post #19

Doing it tomorrow but I'm 90% sure I did it after the repair

WickedQuick

Posted: 10-03-2011, 09:33 AM
wickedquick