2000 Caravan alarm/starting problem - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Vehicle Forums > Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan Talk

Closed Thread

wamoline

Unhappy 2000 Caravan alarm/starting problem - Posted: 10-26-2004, 02:24 PM
Post #1

Due to some intermittent starting problems, I removed the battery cables to clean them and the battery posts. Then, when I reconnected the battery, the alarm has been activated- both interior and exterior lights flashing. Van will not start or even turn over, even with a jump. I have tried these suggested solutions: 1) Using the fob remotes, 2) Locking and unlocking driver's door, 3) Reconnecting the battery with the key in the "On" position. Nothing has worked. How do I disarm the alarm system and get this vehicle rolling again? Thank you.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

JamesJ2525

Posted: 10-26-2004, 02:35 PM
Hotty Toddy Gosh Almighty
City: Ridgeland
State: MS
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #2

There is another trick that worked on older Grand Cherokees where you unlock the passenger door with the key to disarm the system when it is going off. Maybe try this?
2003 Ram 1500 SLT Regular Cab, 360 V8, 3.92 Limited Slip, 4X4 Offroad Package, 1.5" Torsion Bar Crank, Rancho RS 5000 Shocks, LT 275/70R17 Cooper Discoverer S/Ts, K&N Airfilter, Mopar (Borla) Performance Exhaust, Mopar Running Boards, Mopar Slush Mats, Sirius Satellite Radio, Coin Holder
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

wamoline

Posted: 10-26-2004, 03:41 PM
Post #3

Thanks, James. I tried that to no avail.

JamesJ2525

Posted: 10-26-2004, 03:59 PM
Hotty Toddy Gosh Almighty
City: Ridgeland
State: MS
Post #4

What kind of intermittent starting problems have you been having?
2003 Ram 1500 SLT Regular Cab, 360 V8, 3.92 Limited Slip, 4X4 Offroad Package, 1.5" Torsion Bar Crank, Rancho RS 5000 Shocks, LT 275/70R17 Cooper Discoverer S/Ts, K&N Airfilter, Mopar (Borla) Performance Exhaust, Mopar Running Boards, Mopar Slush Mats, Sirius Satellite Radio, Coin Holder

wamoline

Posted: 10-26-2004, 05:18 PM
Post #5

I have had to jump it about three or four times in the past couple of months. I think it was due mainly to corroded battery connections. That is why I decided to "do it right" and clean the connections. Since then- dead in the water- literally- it's raining! This same thing happened several months ago. We called AAA and the tow truck driver used a length of wire to "jump" the alarm control unit, which successfully deactivated the alarm and allowed us to start the van. Unfortunately I don't remember how and where he did that, so I can't replicate it.

gas28man

Posted: 10-26-2004, 05:57 PM
City: Smyrna, TN
State: TN
Post #6

This sounds like a problem with the battery itself. Pull the battery and borrow a battery charger to put a full charge on it. Then take it to AutoZone or Advance or someplace like that where they will load-test your battery.

It's commonly known about these vehicles that when the battery gets near the end of its life, it will start producing all sorts of goofy electrical problems. And that would also account for the intermittent starting problems you've had. The buildup of corrosion is another sign of a battery on the way out.

Get yourself a new battery and I'd be willing to bet your problems go away.

six pack

Posted: 10-26-2004, 09:25 PM
State: AB
Post #7

If you have an aftermarket alarm you have to deactivate them by turning the key on and pressing a hidden switch under the dash.
Cummins 6.7L MegaCab owner member#1.

See Pics Here!
My Challenger
My Gallery
Don't forget to nominate and vote for the vehicle of the month categories, it couldn't be any easier with the following links.Vote Here
Nominate Here
Closed Thread