oil change question 3.7 liter - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

maxred

oil change question 3.7 liter - Posted: 08-18-2011, 04:27 AM
City: Kiyv
State: OTHER
Post #1

I have a 1500 3.7 in 2004.
Includes the replacement of oil 3.5-3.7 quarts, with filter replacement.
The manual should be 5.
Why?
I thought the sludge in the oil pan. He was removed and tested - clear.
Dipstick ordered a new one.
Lack of oil is very bad.
Now in the morning winding knock 10-15 seconds or from lifter whether from the chains. Pretty loud. Mileage 78 000 miles.
Oil Mobil 5w30.
Maybe it is described in the manual from Chrysler, we have not.

(translate.google.)

http://maxred.io.ua/album

Last edited by maxred : 08-18-2011 at 05:11 AM.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

NHHEMI

Posted: 08-18-2011, 05:26 AM
Post #2

It is difficult to understand exactly what it is you are asking due to the language difference but I will try.

A 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 3.7L V6 takes 5.0 US quarts of 5W-30( 4.7 Liters )to do an oil and filter change. If you were running it with just 3.7 Liters you were running it low.

It sounds like you have removed the pan to look for sludge and it was ok. Sounds like you have a cold start noise you are concerned about too. Without hearing it in person and with the language barrier making it hard for you to give more details it is hard to really be much help.

You can try a different oil filter. Your oil filter could have a bad anti drain back valve which can lead to cold start noises. If the valve is bad it lets all the oil drain back to your oil pan which causes a dry start condition which can cause start up noise that goes away when oil flow is returned. It may not be your problem but it is a quick and easy thing to check.

The next thing I would look for externally is a broken exhaust manifold bolt. If a bolt or two is broken it can cause cold start noise as well. If it isn't the filter and it isn't a broken manifold bolt then it is something inside the engine like a lifter than is bleeding down as it sits. Only way to fix that is to tear into the engine and replace.

Here is a link to Dodge where you can download a free PDF copy of your 2004 Ram 1500( Gas )owner's manual. It is in English but maybe you can translate it or even read it. The manual won't help you with your noise problem but you should have it for reference.

http://www.dodge.com/en/owners/manuals/index.html

You might be able to find the same info, in your language, on the Dodge Ukraine site? I have given you that link as well. Maybe they offer free PDF manuals there too? I don't read your language so I can't get you a link other than to the main site.

http://www.dodge.com.ua/

Hope this helps you out and I hope you are able to understand it as well. Good luck.
Royal Purple #1

Last edited by NHHEMI : 08-18-2011 at 04:28 PM.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

MikeHTally

Posted: 08-18-2011, 06:00 AM
Got 2 Hemis
City: Tallahassee, FL
View This User's Gallery
Post #3

Welcome to the group.

Is the 3.5-3.7 quarts actually litres? If so, it isn't quite as bad as it sounds. Still not good, but remember some oil stays in the motor. Is the dipstick you bought the same length as the original? What NHHEMI said is good stuff. Good luck and keep us informed.

'03 1500 QCSB Hemi
Vent shades/15% tint
A.R.E. Tonneau/Bed Rug
Nerf step bars
Rear LED light bar/LED frt. turn signals
LED tails & 3d brake light/White Night backup lamps & LED interior lights
Halos/projector headlights KC HiLites Titanium Driving lights
Tailgate Easy Lift & EZ Down
E&G Classics mesh grill
WeatherTech Floor Liners
Overhead console with HomeLink
JVC KD-AR780 Receiver & CH-X1500 Changer
Jensen 6x9 3-way up frt., 5 1/4" 2-way rear
GenTex auto-dimming mirror & Towing mirrors
Fender liners & Ram splash guards
Silver Truck Club Member #140
S.N.A.T.C.H. Club Member 666-666
2 1/2" level kit
Jetstream Scoop/Power Wire
MagnaFlow Stainless Cat-back SI/DO
TrueFlow intake kit
Hellwig 7651 sway bar
Flex-a-lite Black Magic Extr. 180 Elect. Fan
Dick Cepek Chrome DC-1s/Bridgestone Revo2 285/70

maxred

Posted: 08-18-2011, 06:19 AM
City: Kiyv
State: OTHER
Post #4

Thank you for your reply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHHEMI View Post
It is difficult to understand exactly what it is you are asking due to the language difference but I will try.
Sorry for the translation, with Google translate.
More concerned about a quart of oil that does not fit.
Oil filter change.Now Mahle OC 108 put Mopar 4781452. Watch for changes in noise.
Service manual I downloaded (dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309955) and studied here. Requires 4.7 quarts of oil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHTally View Post
Is the dipstick you bought the same length as the original?
Dipstick has not yet arrived, only ordered.

http://maxred.io.ua/album

Last edited by maxred : 08-18-2011 at 06:26 AM.

340duster

Posted: 08-18-2011, 07:36 AM
View This User's Garage
View This User's Timeslip
Post #5

The 3.7 definitely takes 5 quarts including the filter fill. Are you prefilling the filter? That could be a source of some of the dropoff, but if the motor won't take it, that's definitely not a good sign.
2007 Jeep Compass <--Poor choices on my part letting my wife have what she wanted.

DON'T YOU DARE BRING LOGIC AND IMPARTIALITY TO AN INTERNET FORUM!

NHHEMI

Posted: 08-18-2011, 04:31 PM
Post #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxred View Post
Thank you for your reply.

Sorry for the translation, with Google translate.
More concerned about a quart of oil that does not fit.
Oil filter change.Now Mahle OC 108 put Mopar 4781452. Watch for changes in noise.
Service manual I downloaded (dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309955) and studied here. Requires 4.7 quarts of oil.

Dipstick has not yet arrived, only ordered.
It takes 5 quarts which is 4.7 Liters. It isn't 4.7 quarts. Not a big difference but it is some.
Royal Purple #1
Closed Thread