4X4 Fluid Change Intervals - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP DODGETALK MERCHANDISE ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 4th Gen (09 Up) Forums > 4G Dodge RAM - Drivetrain Talk

Closed Thread

djlaf22

4X4 Fluid Change Intervals - Posted: 07-23-2011, 07:48 PM
DJLAF22
State: RI
Post #1

At 34k miles was told by dealer for the second time that I should change transfer case and front/rear diff fluids...

Is this a line of crap or should I really be doing this every 30k? They quoted me $450 total for the job which is sick. I'll do it myself if this is necessary.

Any input would hopefully help my decision. Keep going back and forth on whether or not to do it.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

sbarbs

Posted: 07-23-2011, 08:42 PM
City: NJ
State: NJ
View This User's Gallery
Post #2

Im sure he is just going by the recomended interval chart which I believe is 30k miles. Personally, I would change it. I did mine at 15k and replaced with Amsoil Synthetics. I will change it again at 60,000k. I do it myself and can be done if you have basic mechanical knowledge. Fluids and RTV silicone should only be about $50-60 per axle. Good luck.
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 QC - 5.7L, Superchips Tuner, Mufflex 14 inch Magnaflow Muffler with Factory Duals, Volant CAI, Catch Can, NGK plugs,180 stat, Transgo Reprogramming kit, Trans. line pressure booster, V6 Electric Fan,Amsoil Synthetics front to back, 5100 Bilstein leveling shocks, Powertrax Limited Slip, XD Spy wheels, Falken Wildpeak A/T tires, Pioneer AVH-P4400DVD, Infinity Component speakers, JL Audio Sub in Q Logic Enclosure, Kenwood 5 channel Amp, Stinger 1.2 Farad Cap, Weathertech floor liners, Debadged.....and more to come....

Future mods: AR Headers, Circle D converter, and 4" Superlift!!
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

djlaf22

Posted: 07-23-2011, 08:54 PM
DJLAF22
Post #3

Thanks for the reply. It's pretty straight forward to do anyway, and probably worth the peace of mind.

Although I have to drive to my parents house so I can do this on a level driveway, still looking at a couple of hours worth of work to do everything. Much better than $400!

djlaf22

Posted: 07-24-2011, 07:26 PM
DJLAF22
Post #4

I changed out the fluids today. Took about 3 hours. Everything looked good anyway but at least I have peace of mind. Still better this way than spending $400 at the dealer.

Cost me $100 total.

JustinHEMI04

Posted: 07-25-2011, 07:28 AM
City: Pittsburgh, PA
State: PA
View This User's Gallery
Post #5

My book says "inspect" the axle fluids, and it has this starting at 18K, should I read that as "replace?" I am coming up on 36K and haven't replaced them yet. For transfer case, it has "inspect" at 30K.

Thanks

Justin

2014LaramieCrew

Posted: 07-25-2011, 07:43 AM
State: AZ
Post #6

Do you have limited slip? How much clutch plate material (soot) was in the rear pumpkin?

djlaf22

Posted: 07-25-2011, 08:57 AM
DJLAF22
Post #7

Yeah, my book says the same which is why I was fighting the need to do this. After calling multiple dealerships and stopping by a few automotive stores it came down to a preventative maintenance measure.

Glad I did it, but probably wasn't necessary. Diff fluid was a little brownish grey and it was clean. Didn't see any soot really. Transfer case fluid looked brand new, but I did have very little shavings in the oil.

I have 3:55's with open differentials so I didn't put the additive. I used Royal Purple which is supposedly formulated for LS anyway, which I was told would do no harm.

SnowDogs

Posted: 07-27-2011, 08:48 AM
City: Lincoln Heights
Post #8

Did you guys use a pump to remove the fluids or drop the pan on the trans and open the covers on the diffs? Also for you guys who changed to synthetic, how did you get the fluid out of the torque converter? I'm thinking about changing mine over to all synthetic in the next month but I used to wind up dropping the pan and taking a fluid bath.

4th Gen Truck Club member #28
Orange Truck Club member #25
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 QC sunburst Orange
2010 Dodge Nitro Detonator Stone White (wife's ride)
3 Siberian Huskies 2, 3 and 4 years old and a good ole dogsled. Much more fun than any vehicle!
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

djlaf22

Posted: 07-27-2011, 07:17 PM
DJLAF22
Post #9

No pumps, just opened the cases for the differentials which was pretty straight forward and wasn't messy. Just make sure you use something wide enough to catch the oil.

Scraping the RTV off the case and body was more of a PITA than anything. I didn't change the transmission fluid. Just took care of transfer case and differentials.

Transfer case was a breeze, thankfully to having a drain and fill plug. If you are going to change out the fluid in the transfer case, make sure you can loosen the fill plug first. This is so you don't get stuck if you manage to drain it, but can't get the plug out to fill it.

boostjunkie1

Posted: 07-27-2011, 10:04 PM
State: NC
Post #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlaf22 View Post
No pumps, just opened the cases for the differentials which was pretty straight forward and wasn't messy. Just make sure you use something wide enough to catch the oil.

Scraping the RTV off the case and body was more of a PITA than anything. I didn't change the transmission fluid. Just took care of transfer case and differentials.

Transfer case was a breeze, thankfully to having a drain and fill plug. If you are going to change out the fluid in the transfer case, make sure you can loosen the fill plug first. This is so you don't get stuck if you manage to drain it, but can't get the plug out to fill it.
....... Great Advice!!!!

SnowDogs

Posted: 07-28-2011, 07:30 AM
City: Lincoln Heights
Post #11

If you are going to change out the fluid in the transfer case, make sure you can loosen the fill plug first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostjunkie1 View Post
....... Great Advice!!!!
That is an understatement!!! That is something I never thought of but I'm sure if it would happen to anyone it would be me!

4th Gen Truck Club member #28
Orange Truck Club member #25
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 QC sunburst Orange
2010 Dodge Nitro Detonator Stone White (wife's ride)
3 Siberian Huskies 2, 3 and 4 years old and a good ole dogsled. Much more fun than any vehicle!

boostjunkie1

Posted: 07-29-2011, 09:48 PM
State: NC
Post #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDogs View Post
If you are going to change out the fluid in the transfer case, make sure you can loosen the fill plug first.

That is an understatement!!! That is something I never thought of but I'm sure if it would happen to anyone it would be me!
........... That is what I was thinking!

OregonTRX4

Posted: 08-01-2011, 02:07 AM
State: OR
Post #13

I would change the fluids. If you do it your self it is much cheaper and good insurance.

hounddogg

Posted: 08-03-2011, 04:08 AM
State: GA
Post #14

Auto trans if you want all fliud swapped use a fliud exchange machine. Not a flush machine. You'll need about 17 quarts of fliud.
2009 Quad Cab SLT White,Hemi,2WD,20 inch wheels,3.92 gear.2003 Quad Dually 4x4,6 speed,4.10 gears,diesel.Banks 4 inch exhaust,Afe Pro Guard filter,Rottech crank sensor mod.Amsoil fliuds front to back.08 Corvette Convertible.

huntergreen

Posted: 08-03-2011, 05:55 PM
State: OTHER
Post #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hounddogg View Post
Auto trans if you want all fliud swapped use a fliud exchange machine. Not a flush machine. You'll need about 17 quarts of fliud.
hey hounddog!

for the unknowing, "me" whats the difference, and are these machines available to the home owner? tks

dodge-2004

Posted: 08-03-2011, 06:00 PM
Post #16

$450? Oahallelly shit! I do it myself! I make $350.00 in my pocket and spend 100.00 to buy stuffs what I need!

hounddogg

Posted: 08-03-2011, 06:54 PM
State: GA
Post #17

Most all shops are fliud exchange. Just ask them. No its not a homeowner thing. There is a way to kinda do it yourself. You may do a search and find out how. Basically it involves two people,a big bucket,fliud,funnel,remove a trans line at the radiator and while vehicle is idling and as fliud comes out pouring fliud in. As the old fliud changes color to new fliud you stop. I'd rather pay to get it done. Tire store near me last few times I did such charged me $35.00 bucks I supplied the fliud. Dealer near me wanted $100 and I supplied fliud. Full they do it was $189.95. Chevy dealer thats a Corvette super center did my vette with Dexron 6 synthetic for $129.95! Cheaper then the Dodge store using ATF+4. Tire store I used Amsoil trans fliud in a Marquis and a older Dodge Ram. Tire store was the best buy. Did it while I waited of course. All three places used same machine. A BG fliud exchange machine.
2009 Quad Cab SLT White,Hemi,2WD,20 inch wheels,3.92 gear.2003 Quad Dually 4x4,6 speed,4.10 gears,diesel.Banks 4 inch exhaust,Afe Pro Guard filter,Rottech crank sensor mod.Amsoil fliuds front to back.08 Corvette Convertible.

MiamiDave

Posted: 08-03-2011, 07:08 PM
City: Northern VA
State: VA
Post #18

GMC is running a sale on 4x4 service, just make sure they have the proper fluids on hand $275-at least around here in VA
2011 Silver PW, red stripe delete and rear PW sticker option (by me), Diamondback Heavy Duty bed cover, Carli front diff protector/Purple Cranium full Spider Guard real diff protector, 315/70 Goodyear Duratracs all around (including spare in stock location)

Closed Thread