98 Ram 2500 diesel, Tach/Shifting problem - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Truck Engine Technical Forums Archive > Diesel Tech

Closed Thread

wayne_vidalia

Question 98 Ram 2500 diesel, Tach/Shifting problem - Posted: 10-23-2004, 06:52 PM
Post #1

I have a 98 Ram2500 with 5.9L Cummins, A/T, The Tach stopped working and the transmission does not want to shift out of first. I have checked all the fuses, replaced fluid and filter in trans., checked speed sensor, and all possible wire conections I can see and think to check. This is my first diesel, I am out of ideas. If anyone has an idea on what else to check before I take it to the shop, please let me know.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Meierznutz

Posted: 10-28-2004, 10:59 AM
Older, but no wiser.
City: Oakville, Ct
State: CT
View This User's Gallery
Post #2

Has the check engine light come on yet? I've had the check light come on in a Grand Caravan when the trans felt fine. Scancode said it was for metal in the trans pan. If you have the ALDL scanned at Autozone, it may turn up something. AZ will usually do it for free. The only other thing I can think of is a loose or broken vacume line, used to cause the same symptoms on Chevy turbo 350's and 400's.
The tach dropping out tells me it could be in the CPU. Check the connector to it(firewall,passenger side) as trans function are controled by it too.
Good luck... Chris
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Closed Thread