Fuel leak - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 2nd Gen (94 01) Forums > 2G Dodge RAM - Drivetrain Talk

Closed Thread

MosersRam

Fuel leak - Posted: 07-18-2011, 12:15 AM
City: Bullscrick
State: PA
Post #1

I'm trying to figure out what is going on with my old Dodge 1500 pickup. It's a '97 with a 5.2 and it seems to have a fuel leak that comes and goes. Sometimes it will leak when you stop after driving it for a while and most of the time it is dry as a bone. Someone said there is a check valve of some sort that is getting hung up occasionally. I had not seen it leak for a while until today when I stopped outside the house and you could smell it. I looked under the truck and it was dripping off the tank. I ran it down to my work garage and in the time it took to go the 2 blocks it had quit.

Anyone know what this is all about?

Coming soon JR shift kit

Pulling a 20 foot Forester pontoon boat all around the Raystown Country
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BigGreenV10

Posted: 07-18-2011, 08:03 AM
Big Green
City: Newark, Ohio
State: OH
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #2

You need to keep a log of when it does it and what you had just done meaning did you put a certain level of fuel or drive so far or sat for a while.
POWDER COAT CLUB MEMBER #1
DON'T TOUCH OUR TRUCK CLUB #2
GREEN TRUCK CLUB MEMBER #31
V10 RAM CLUB MEMBER # 35
MILITARY TRUCK CLUB #147
CRACKED DASH CLUB # 32

2000 2500 V10 4x4 Ext. cab 6" suspension 37 x 12.5 x 16.5 with 4.88 gears.
SCT tuner, Cold air and custom exhaust.
Tail lights, fuel filler door and tail gate handle shaved. Body color fiberglass bed cover and fender flares. Custom all steel 4" cowl hood, custom front bumper.
100% Xtreme Kreations Club President looking for members
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Monsta

Posted: 07-18-2011, 08:44 AM
City: Philadelphia
Post #3

If it was dripping from your tank, I'd probably figure theres a hole in your tank, or the fuel pump isn't tight on the tank or something, or fuel lines loose or fuel line is cracked or have a hole.

To do soon : Front and rear differential fluid and covers, transmission fluid, spicer u joints, new tie rod and pitman arm, brakes.

Mods to do : flowmaster 44 duals with 4" tips, shorty headers, pioneer front speakers, pioneer headunit, repaint roof, rhino line bottom edge of truck, aluminum rad, 52mm tb, spectre cai, bilstein 5100 shocks, 3" body lift, bigger amperage alternator, new belt, a bunch of new pulleys, viper alarm, 35" boggers

Moparite

Posted: 07-18-2011, 09:21 AM
Post #4

Check the fuel pressure line and return line on top of the tank. The connector might be leaking also.

mad 1

Posted: 07-18-2011, 10:05 PM
City: Louisville, Ky
View This User's Gallery
Post #5

can remove the inner fender well and will be able to see the top of fuel pump and lines to see where leak is from
SCT tune by Hemifever, Fastman 50mm,14x3 open air cleaner, Magnaflow,4:11,, 265/75/16
1993 Jeep YJ4.6 Stroker,, 5 speed,
Alum. head, roller rocker, Duel header, Magnaflow,,4:56,, 33" MTRS,, 2"' lift, Warn Wench, Nates Bumpers
2007 700 Yahama Grizzly ATV
Maxis Bighorns, Power tip,, Play Ground SE Kentucky
2009 Blast 150 Toybox F/S

MosersRam

Posted: 07-18-2011, 11:56 PM
Post #6

Thanks for the replies fellows. 99.9% of the time it is dry, one of the guys at work said it has something to do with the evap cannister. The one time that I saw it leaking really bad it was coming from the top of the tank, but quit like you turned a spicket off in about 15 seconds. The truck was idling in park that whole time.

It seems worse with a 1/2+ to full tank, and hot weather, and no it is not expanding and blowing out the top of the tank. It is always running when it leaks. I fill the tank all the time and you can run several tanks without seeing or smelling the leak. I can always smell it when it is leaking. The mileage has not shown significant problems until this last tank when it went WAYYYY down, like to 10 mpg from the usual 15, I blamed it on towing the boat almost the entire tank full, but now I'm not sure.

I guess I'll have to get in there and try to catch it in the act to figure it out.

Coming soon JR shift kit

MosersRam

Posted: 07-31-2011, 10:10 PM
Post #7

I watched it run for ten minutes today before it started to "perculate" out of the top of the fuel pump. It was coming out of the elbow just to the left of the electrical connection as you look in the left rear wheel well. I took the gas cap off and it quit immediately. I drilled one small hole on the inside and one on the oudside to "vent" the locking cap. I expect to see a check engine light soon but the truck is running fine and not blowing $4 gallon fuel out like a coffee pot.

Coming soon JR shift kit

Closed Thread