How many have replaced there TIPM? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

silverhemidan

How many have replaced there TIPM? - Posted: 06-14-2011, 07:19 PM
Silverhemidan
City: Harrison Twp.
State: MI
View This User's Gallery
Post #1

Total Integrated Power Module

If so,tell me the year of truck and how many miles.
I know there was a TSB(Flash Reprogramming the Totally Integrated Power Module) for the 2006's

I have a 2004 2500 with about 68,000 miles on it and I have to replace my TIPM,because my running lights don't work.

I'm curious how many others have had this problem

Silver Truck Club Member#127

2004 2500 Hemi - Off-Road Pkg.w/4.56's
6" Lift PP Long Arms/Coils/Bilstein 5160's/ Dynatrac free spin hubs/Dynaloc hubs/spicer axle ujoints,
Carli Ball Joints/Carli deaver 4" leaf springs/Thuren Shackles/Carli Long Travel Air Bags
37x12.5x17 Cooper STT's/XD Enduros
n-fab step bars with Line-X
MagnaFlow (#14329)/Superchips
20% tinted windows Don Thuren steering stabilizer True Flow CAI
Tonneau cover/Husky liners/4-channel Amp/
Rockford sub/ Panasonic HU/kenwood speakers Hella 500's behind grill/Wheel Liners/Bushwacker Pocket style flares/Aeroforce Interceptor/BD Steering Box Stabilizer/steering upgrade,Carli Trackbar/ retrofit projectors,infiniti FX35 projectors,shaved,black matte paint,6k,from Unique Coatings.

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

MADBRAD

Posted: 06-15-2011, 02:17 AM
MADBRAD
City: Brighton
State: CO
Post #2

The only re flash Ive seen for the 2006s was in reference to the 4wd system. Havent heard anything about the running lights.
tow hooks /front suspension skid plate
3" cat back Flowmaster original 40
dechromed/debadged
black grille/black bumpers
Truxedo Truxsport
Belltech drop shackles
personalized "MADBRAD" license plates
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

weedahoe

Posted: 06-15-2011, 08:01 AM
Tricked out Ram
City: Albany
State: GA
Post #3

02-05 have FCM whereas 06-08 have TIPM
2004 2wd Dodge Ram QC w/a 5.7 with Royal Purple 5w-20 in the motor, RP Max ATF in the trans, 80-90w in the 4.56 Auburn LSD rolling on American Racing Dale Earnhart "Tank" 24s wrapped in Pirelli 325/45/24s (36" tires)

| Debadged | SRT-10 hood | Custom CAI | Fumoto oil valve | 12" of lift | Power Wire | 9007 Bi-Xenon 6k | 9006 Single Beam 6K | 2nd battery tray (2K CCA total) | Big 3 upgrade w/1ga wire | Altezza clear tails w/LEDs | Clear LED 3rd light | 26gal to 35gal fuel tank swap | Viair 380c air compressor | train horns | Ceramic pads (F&R) | Westin Nerfs | Chrome door/tailgate handles | Custom switch panel | Custom center console | B&M QuickSilver floor shifer | Xbox 360 | Audiobahn A8000V (1600w sub amp) | Audiobahn 2002V (400w mid/high amp) | 2 12" Kicker DVC CVRs in a FoxBox | 4 Kicker DS650s (front & rears) | 2 Kicker KS350s (dash) | 2 8" LCD screens in the sunvisors | 2 6" LCD screens in the headrest | Clifford 50.7x alarm | 20/15% tint | Diablo Trinity - custom and 93 tuned | Mopar 6.1 ignition conversion | Start ignition push button | KRC 210 cam | 6.1 springs & pushrods | 6.1 half covers | 180* T-stat | Taurus E-fan | Pacesetter ceramic LTs | dual DMH cutouts | (2) 4x14" round magnaflows | 4x24" tips | X pipe | Jimmy Jammers | Ported (85mm) TB | Innovate LC-1 wideband | Sonnax transmission pressure booster | Mopar slush mats | RBP grill | powder coated calipers | custom rim/grill lights |

Link to my gallery

Next projects:

- Custom center console
- B&M Quicksilver Floor shifter
- Custom CAI

matt99

Posted: 06-15-2011, 03:16 PM
City: Shreveport
State: LA
Post #4

Only 06/up have a TIPM so how did you replace it???

Anyway, I did at 45k miles

Murdered.

silverhemidan

Posted: 06-15-2011, 05:35 PM
Silverhemidan
View This User's Gallery
Post #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedahoe View Post
02-05 have FCM whereas 06-08 have TIPM

Its the whole fuse box. its called the TIPM and it also has a FCM,The TIPM has a built in control module(underneath the fuses),therefor you have to replace the whole unit. The FCM is another module that is connected on the side of the fuse box.At least on my 2004.......if I'm understanding this correct....
The truck is at a shop(not the dealer),the part is on backorder,they said it will take 3 days to get it.But,the dealer is real familiar with this issue,so the tech says

"The Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) is a combination unit that performs the functions of the Power Distribution Center (PDC) and the Front Control Module. The TIPM is a printed circuit board based module that contains fuses, internal relays and a microprocessor that performs the functions previously executed by the FCM. The TIPM is located in the engine compartment, next to the battery and connects directly to the B+ cable via a stud located on top of the unit. The ground connection is via electrical connectors."

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...004+dodge+TIPM

6" Lift PP Long Arms/Coils/Bilstein 5160's/ Dynatrac free spin hubs/Dynaloc hubs/spicer axle ujoints,
Carli Ball Joints/Carli deaver 4" leaf springs/Thuren Shackles/Carli Long Travel Air Bags
Rockford sub/ Panasonic HU/kenwood speakers Hella 500's behind grill/Wheel Liners/Bushwacker Pocket style flares/Aeroforce Interceptor/BD Steering Box Stabilizer/steering upgrade,Carli Trackbar/ retrofit projectors,infiniti FX35 projectors,shaved,black matte paint,6k,from Unique Coatings.

Last edited by silverhemidan : 06-15-2011 at 05:44 PM.

Redtruck-VA

Posted: 06-15-2011, 05:56 PM
Redtruck-VA
City: Philippines/VA
State: VA
Post #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhemidan View Post
Its the whole fuse box. its called the TIPM and it also has a FCM,The TIPM has a built in control module(underneath the fuses),therefor you have to replace the whole unit. The FCM is another module that is connected on the side of the fuse box.At least on my 2004.......if I'm understanding this correct....
The truck is at a shop(not the dealer),the part is on backorder,they said it will take 3 days to get it.But,the dealer is real familiar with this issue,so the tech says

"The Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) is a combination unit that performs the functions of the Power Distribution Center (PDC) and the Front Control Module. The TIPM is a printed circuit board based module that contains fuses, internal relays and a microprocessor that performs the functions previously executed by the FCM. The TIPM is located in the engine compartment, next to the battery and connects directly to the B+ cable via a stud located on top of the unit. The ground connection is via electrical connectors."

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...004+dodge+TIPM
The earlier models, I believe 03-05 it is called IPM (Intergrated Power Module, later it was changed to TIPM. Bad IPM/TIPM are mostly from what I have seen a 4x4 problem from being off road. The replacement units I am told have a protective shield on the bottom.
2003 RCSB SXT-Hemi - OEM Durango rims/275/60-18 tires, AeroForce-w/wideband, Trans LP gage, 6.1 dual coil ignition, 05 fuel pump, K&N -77 CAI, Fastman TB, 20% U/D, eFan, TCI FastGate shifter, AutoMeter Shiftlite, 180 thermostat, TMR, Sonnax, 2500HD OEM Trans Cooler, Crazy Spartan/112 lsa, 2800 stall Edge Converter, DTT 4:10, LT's, Magnaflow SI/DO, duals cats, Mcgaughys 3/6 spindle kit, Monroe gasomatics shocks, Caster/camber adjusters, Caltracs traction bars, Aeon springs for bump stops Frt/Rear, 04 Laramie leather SLT 10 way seat and SLT leather steering wheel, CD/radio, stand alone OEM foglights, billet grille inserts, painted cowl (shaved) and upper bumper cover, Shaved tailgate w/EZdown, Shaved Antenna, Amplified hidden antenna, sliding rear window, welded steel Roll Pan, Hidden hitch, Sport mirrors, Painted Front bumper, Fiberglass tonneau cover, OEM bed liner, OEM SRT-10 gage pillar, billet gas door, de-badged, tint strip.

silverhemidan

Posted: 06-15-2011, 06:51 PM
Silverhemidan
View This User's Gallery
Post #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtruck-VA View Post
The earlier models, I believe 03-05 it is called IPM (Intergrated Power Module, later it was changed to TIPM. Bad IPM/TIPM are mostly from what I have seen a 4x4 problem from being off road. The replacement units I am told have a protective shield on the bottom.
thanks,thats good to here

matt99

Posted: 06-15-2011, 07:59 PM
Post #8

Quote:
The TIPM is under the fuse box. Its like a computerized relay that selectively distributes power to different areas of the truck. I think we have like 20 fuses total in the truck. Its what allows the radio to stay on after you take the ignition out, and the other little things like that

My brake lights wouldnt work and it turned out that a short burnt the TIPM up. $1100

Murdered.

silverhemidan

Posted: 06-15-2011, 08:29 PM
Silverhemidan
View This User's Gallery
Post #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt99 View Post
The TIPM is under the fuse box. Its like a computerized relay that selectively distributes power to different areas of the truck. I think we have like 20 fuses total in the truck. Its what allows the radio to stay on after you take the ignition out, and the other little things like that

My brake lights wouldnt work and it turned out that a short burnt the TIPM up. $1100

I must be getting a good deal,I'm paying half of what you paid...

matt99

Posted: 06-15-2011, 10:35 PM
Post #10

Quote:
I must be getting a good deal,I'm paying half of what you paid...
thats because its not the same thing. Dealer invoiced it at almost $1080 their price. That alone lets you know there is a difference in the two

Murdered.

chefred112

Posted: 06-16-2011, 01:58 AM
Valdez Racing Team
City: Tracy, CA
State: CA
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
View This User's Timeslip View This User's Dyno Entries
Post #11

my truck did this before i changed my fuse box...

over 250k miles on odo

weedahoe

Posted: 06-16-2011, 08:04 AM
Tricked out Ram
City: Albany
State: GA
Post #12

eww....no bus....

Fred, wasnt that cutting off on you while you were driving it also?
2004 2wd Dodge Ram QC w/a 5.7 with Royal Purple 5w-20 in the motor, RP Max ATF in the trans, 80-90w in the 4.56 Auburn LSD rolling on American Racing Dale Earnhart "Tank" 24s wrapped in Pirelli 325/45/24s (36" tires)

| Debadged | SRT-10 hood | Custom CAI | Fumoto oil valve | 12" of lift | Power Wire | 9007 Bi-Xenon 6k | 9006 Single Beam 6K | 2nd battery tray (2K CCA total) | Big 3 upgrade w/1ga wire | Altezza clear tails w/LEDs | Clear LED 3rd light | 26gal to 35gal fuel tank swap | Viair 380c air compressor | train horns | Ceramic pads (F&R) | Westin Nerfs | Chrome door/tailgate handles | Custom switch panel | Custom center console | B&M QuickSilver floor shifer | Xbox 360 | Audiobahn A8000V (1600w sub amp) | Audiobahn 2002V (400w mid/high amp) | 2 12" Kicker DVC CVRs in a FoxBox | 4 Kicker DS650s (front & rears) | 2 Kicker KS350s (dash) | 2 8" LCD screens in the sunvisors | 2 6" LCD screens in the headrest | Clifford 50.7x alarm | 20/15% tint | Diablo Trinity - custom and 93 tuned | Mopar 6.1 ignition conversion | Start ignition push button | KRC 210 cam | 6.1 springs & pushrods | 6.1 half covers | 180* T-stat | Taurus E-fan | Pacesetter ceramic LTs | dual DMH cutouts | (2) 4x14" round magnaflows | 4x24" tips | X pipe | Jimmy Jammers | Ported (85mm) TB | Innovate LC-1 wideband | Sonnax transmission pressure booster | Mopar slush mats | RBP grill | powder coated calipers | custom rim/grill lights |

Link to my gallery

Next projects:

- Custom center console
- B&M Quicksilver Floor shifter
- Custom CAI

chefred112

Posted: 06-16-2011, 11:15 AM
Valdez Racing Team
City: Tracy, CA
State: CA
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
View This User's Timeslip View This User's Dyno Entries
Post #13

on the first go around yes when i ignored the symtoms..lol... I drove it around a long time after seeing my guages quit and come back on. Awhile later the truck would stall out while driving. Checked all the little stuff like grounds and better battery cabling, then i recalled Lonnie had the identical issue back in 06 which he finally figured out was the fusebox. I got one from pcp, popped it in and everything worked perfectly.
over 250k miles on odo

silverhemidan

Posted: 06-16-2011, 06:53 PM
Silverhemidan
View This User's Gallery
Post #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt99 View Post
thats because its not the same thing. Dealer invoiced it at almost $1080 their price. That alone lets you know there is a difference in the two

replaced the IPM and all is good

Last edited by silverhemidan : 06-16-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Closed Thread