2005 Dodge Ram Tranny codes P0700 and P0841 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 06-04-2011, 07:25 PM
tetdepth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2005 Dodge Ram Tranny codes P0700 and P0841

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 HEMI 5.7 Automatic with 57000 miles. Check engine light came on for the first time today and threw both of these codes. My tranny guy reset the code and it has not come back (yet). The truck gives no indication of having any problem other than the engine light came on.

I am sure this isn't the first one. According to my tranny guy with over 30yrs of experience these things typically fail between 40000 and 70000 miles. My truck has 57000. Dodge bad engineering strikes again. Placing plastic electrical parts inside the transmission in a bath of hot tranny oil. Thanx Dodge!! Jerks!!

My guy says I need a Solenoid Pack and Govenor Pressure. He also recommended changing the low and high filter while it's open.

Where is the best place to buy these parts? Is this a DIY project?

I have several years of backyard mechanic experience to include tranny builds, engine builds etc etc.

JD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-04-2011, 08:51 PM
05Ramhendrix
Ramistered User

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Your tranny guy has 30 years experience with 5-45RFE's??????
I don't hear about these parts failing on a regular basis around here, I'd get a second opinion before you just dive in and replace parts. Have you changed the filters of fluid lately or have anything done to the trans that would help diagnosis the real issues? Check harness connectors for good connect etc.

Scott

2005 QC HEMI * 2wd * PSB Bright Silver * AEM Brute Force Intake * Powerwire * Jetstream Scoop * Stant 14168 180* T-stat * Superchip Flashpaq 3865 w/ Trans Tuning * BBK Ceramic Shorty Headers * Magnaflow Y Pipe * Magnaflow Catback * Motive 4.56 Gears LSD * Rough Country 6" Lift *Moto Metal 951 20x10 *Nitto Terra Grapplers 305/55/20 * Alpine Audio

#3 Old 06-04-2011, 09:42 PM
tetdepth

(Thread Starter)
30yrs working on all transmissions and the owner of a private and not chain store transmission shop. I bought this truck 6/10 from a National Auto Dealer and it had 46000 miles on it. Everything was serviced before I picked it up. I have not done any transmission work to it at all, especially after only putting 10000 miles on this truck. I do not offroad or pull anything with it and it is mainly used to drive back and forth to the military base where I work about 12 miles one way. The fluid is clean, full and looks like it was put in yesterday. I will check the electrical connections tomorrow. I did have one other problem with a mouse or a squirrel chewing my coil wire almost in two.
I am being told that if I do not fix this soon I run the risk of ruining this transmission and that would be about $3000 to fix.

According to the print out for error code P0841 it states: Low/Reverse pressure switch rationality fault.
Probable Cause: Open or short circuit condition, Poor electrical condition, Failed trans solenoid/pressure switch, Faulty TCM/ECM.

Last edited by tetdepth; 06-04-2011 at 09:47 PM.
#4 Old 06-05-2011, 11:42 AM
irishmedic
Daytona 8398

Back in Nov I had the same codes pop up plus an additional one. What they found on mine was a plastic clip that help the pump hose in place came loose. Unfortunately for me the only way to get to the clip was to drop the trans and tear it down. I have had zero issues since (knock on wood). I thought at first as well as everyone else I talked to, it was a solenoid pack that went bad. Mine was a factory defect because the clip was not put in right and it was replace with a stainless steal clip. So it is possible you might have the same issue, I am just throwing that out there. Oh and my tranny guy told me that my trans looked brand new on the inside, zero wear marks on everything in the trans.

Jon
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Daytona #8398
Silver Truck Number 212
Quad Cab Number 40
SuperChips 3865
Spectre CAI
[COLOR="NGK Plugs
Taylor Wires Blue Full Length 8.2 Thunder Volts
85mm Ported TB
Sonnax Transmission Line Pressure Booster
AirRam PowerWire
AirRam Jet Stream Scoop
Jet 180 TStat
Borla Exhaust
Magnaflow Y Pipe
RP in motor/differentials/transmission/radiator/power steering/transfer case
Bilstien Shocks
Painted calipers
Drilled and slotted rotors x 4
Sirius Sat Radio
WeatherTech Window Vents and floor mats
Access Tonnosport
Dupli-color bedliner with kevlar

2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport (wife's vehicle)
Spectre drop in filter
Jet 180 TStat
RP in motor/differentials/transmission/radiator/power steering
Drilled and slotted rotors (fronts only)
General Grabber AT2 tires
Blacked out rims
Skyjacker Nitro 8000 shocks/Skyjacker Hydro 7000 steering stabilizer
Painted calipers
Sirius Sat Radio
#5 Old 06-05-2011, 08:42 PM
tetdepth

(Thread Starter)
I hate easter egging when troubleshooting a problem. The codes really do not point to anything specific. The tranny guy I spoke to said he had just repaired this very same thing on another guys truck 2 weeks ago and in order to fix the problem and clear all of the codes he replaced the solenoid pack and the governor pressure switch. Where I live the guy I went to is the most experienced and honest tech there is. Unfortunately when you speak to 10 different techs you get 10 different answers and they all start with "well it could be this or it could be that". Basically start replacing parts one at a time until the problem goes away.

At this point I am not sure because he reset the check engine light and it has not came back on. If it was a true failure wouldn't it come back on? Is it possible this was just a computer glitch?
#6 Old 06-05-2011, 08:53 PM
05Ramhendrix
Ramistered User

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
One Trip Fault for those codes, three good trips to turn off the MIL. Could be numerous things that trips the fault, anything from low fluid level to low line pressure to oil filter seal etc... If the code hasn't come back yet then just leave well enough alone for now. If there truly is a problem then the code will come back.

Scott

2005 QC HEMI * 2wd * PSB Bright Silver * AEM Brute Force Intake * Powerwire * Jetstream Scoop * Stant 14168 180* T-stat * Superchip Flashpaq 3865 w/ Trans Tuning * BBK Ceramic Shorty Headers * Magnaflow Y Pipe * Magnaflow Catback * Motive 4.56 Gears LSD * Rough Country 6" Lift *Moto Metal 951 20x10 *Nitto Terra Grapplers 305/55/20 * Alpine Audio

#7 Old 06-06-2011, 05:21 PM
tetdepth

(Thread Starter)
After reading several posts from different websites about this problem I have a few more symptoms that I did not realize were related. The engine light came on for the first and only time on 6/4/11. Prior to that my truck would stall every once in awhile. After my truck had sat for a few hours or overnight and I backup and then place the truck in drive and roll a few feet the truck would stall. It restarts right away. Then I received the engine light and trans code P0700 and P0841.

I was able to find a couple of TSBs about this problem and Dodge clearly knows about it. Some of the posts I read involved the 45RFE engine on 2003 Dodge Rams and others. The one guys truck was still under warranty and Dodge actually replaced his transmission with a 545RFE. This is the same transmission I have a problem with.
TSB 21-007-06 applies to vehicles with 45RFE and 545RFE transmissions with specific build date codes. This describes my problem and my transmission falls within the build dates. It states the transmission cooler return filter may cause the sump filter to split where the plastic and metal crimp are. It says one or more of the DTCs may occur which P0841 is mine.

I called Dodge customer service and they said they would not warrant it or help fix it.
This is the first Dodge vehicl I have ever owned and it will be my last. 2005 Dodge truck with 57000 miles and already has transmission problems that Dodge refuses to stand behind. I rank this up there with my wife's old Mitsubishi Expo where the transmission failed at 103000 miles. The bottom line is that Dodge knows they have a faulty transmission and they refuse to repair them!!
#8 Old 06-06-2011, 07:40 PM
crasher76
Im wired!!!

So try replacing the sump filter and o ring. Unhook all connectors, clean, use electric grease, then button the bitch back up.

Black 2003 QC SB SLT 4x4 Offroad 5.7L HEMI, Original Owner 3.92 LSD, 260 cam, 6.1 Rods/Springs, Home Ported/Polished Heads, Psc1, 04 Map sensor and Fuel pump assembly, Oil pressure guage, Amsoil, Champs, MSD 8.5MM Full length Wires, Transgo HD w/out resistor, Superchip, 180 T-Stat, K/N 77 Series, Ceramic Flowtech headers with Y-Pipe, Stage 8 locks, Ditched the cat, O2 sensor mod, Jack Rabbit bed cover, Sprayed bed liner, Big Mouth Grill-Black, Blackend Headlights/Tails, Silverstar ultras, Ditched all chrome, Custom 10's sub enclosure, Upgraded 160 amp alt, Window tint, Relocated purge valve, Energy suspension bushings, Rear spring clamps, Rebuilt front suspension, Ditched Sway Bar, Passport 8500 Radar Detector, Ditched the baby seat- kid wasnt mine, Cigarette burn in the seat mod, Debadged, Custom Rewired/Properly Grounded.
#9 Old 07-26-2011, 09:41 PM
whoamioitsme

Hope this information is helpful. Let me know if you need more help with this.

Chris

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 21-016-05, DATED

SEPTEMBER 01, 2005, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. THIS IS

A COMPLETE REVISION AND NO ASTERISKS HAVE BEEN USED TO HIGHLIGHT

REVISIONS.

SUBJECT:

RFE Transmission Filters - Delayed Engagement And Related Transmission DTC'S

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin involves verifying the build date of the transmission, and if necessary, the

replacement of both the cooler return and sump filters in the transmission.

MODELS:

2005 - 2006 (DR) Ram Truck

2005 - 2006 (HB) Durango

2005 - 2006 (KJ) Liberty / Cherokee

2005 - 2006 (ND) Dakota

2005 - 2006 (WK / WH) Grand Cherokee

2006 (XK) Commander

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with the a 45RFE or a 545RFE

automatic transmission (sales code DG4 or DGQ respectively) having a

specific transmission build date code (see the below DIAGNOSIS section for

further details).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

The customer may experience an initial delayed shift engagement following an extended

off (not running) period of time, generally after being parked overnight. The initial shift

engagement may feel like a delay or slip when a transmission gear (reverse or drive) is

first selected after engine start.

The customer may also experience a MIL illumination. Investigation may determine that

the MIL is due to one or more of the following Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's):

P0868 - Line Pressure Low. This DTC will be the most frequently occurring DTC for

the delayed shift condition.

P0944 - Loss Of Hydraulic Pump Prime.

NUMBER: 21-007-06

GROUP: Transmission

DATE: April 07, 2006

P0731 - Gear Ratio Error In 1st.

P0736 - Gear Ratio Error In Reverse.

P0841 - LR Pressure Switch Rationality.

P0876 - UD Pressure Switch Rationality.

The delayed engagement and MIL condition (DTC's) may be caused by a suspect

transmission cooler return filter with a part number of 04799662AB. A suspect

04799662AB cooler return filter may cause the transmission sump filter to split at its

plastic-to-metal crimp. If the transmission sump filter becomes split at the crimp, then one

or more of the above DTC's may also occur.

DIAGNOSIS:

1. Turn the ignition to the "OFF" position.

2. Raise the vehicle on a suitable lift.

Fig. 1 TRANS IDENTIFICATION NUMBER

1 - TRANSMISSION IDENTIFICATION (SERIAL AND PART) NUMBER - 20 DIGIT

3. Inspect for the transmission build date (Julian date) (Fig. 1). The transmission build

date can be determined by inspection of the 20 digit transmission identification number

(DDDYxxxxxPpartnumber). The transmission identification number is XXXXX on the

left side (driver side) of the transmission oil pan flange. The first four (4) digits of the

transmission identification number are the transmission build date, in Julian date

format. An example of a transmission identification number would be :

101510492P52119684AA. The first three digits ( 101 ) of the identification number

equal the day of the year, in this case 101 equals April 11. The fourth digit ( 5 ) of the

identification number equals the calendar year, in this case 5 equals 2005. So 1015

equals April 11, 2005.

21-007-06 -2-

4. Determine if the vehicle's transmission was built on or between one of the two sets of

Julian date build ranges listed below:

a. Julian date 0425 (February 11, 2005) to Julian date 0455 (February 15, 2005). 0425
to 0455.

b. Julian date 1015 (April 11, 2005) to Julian date 2345 (August 22, 2005). 1015 to

5. If the vehicle has the above condition, and if the transmission Julian build date is on or

between the range of dates listed above, perform the Repair Procedure.

NOTE: Both the transmission cooler return filter and the transmission sump filter

MUST BE replaced at the same time.

PARTS REQUIRED:

NOTE: DO NOT use a replacement cooler return filter with a part number of

04799662AB. This filter is suspect of causing the above condition. The cooler

return filter part number is XXXXX on the side of the filter's metal case.

Qty. Part No. Description

1 04799662 Filter, Transmission Cooler Return

(AR) 1 05015267AC Kit, Transmission Sump Filter - 4x2 (verify p/n

for specific vehicle)

(AR) 1 05013470AC Kit, Transmission Sump Filter - 4x4 (verify p/n

for specific vehicle)

4 05013457AA Fluid, Automatic Transmission, MS-9602

ATF+4, Quart

1 05010884AA Mopar ATF-RTV

SPECIAL TOOLS/EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:

8321 Oil Filter Wrench

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

NOTE: All cooler return filters with the "AB" suffix (04799662AB) are suspect. The

above condition may be corrected by replacing a suspect "AB" filter with a

new cooler return filter whose part number is XXXXX (with no suffix or with

a suffix that is other than the "AB" level), and a new sump filter.

NOTE: BOTH the sump oil filter and the cooler return filter MUST BE replaced in the

transmission at the same time. Do not replace one filter without also

replacing the other filter.

-3- 21-007-06

NOTE: A replacement 04799662 cooler return filter may come packaged with a

separate threaded adapter stud. The threaded adapter stud is used to attach

the cooler return filter to the transmission. Inspect the stud and note end

without threads. Install the stud end without the threads into the cooler

return filter and tighten the stud-to-filter connection to 18.6 Nm (165 in. lbs.).

Once the threaded adapter stud has been installed to the cooler return filter,

install the assembled cooler return filter to the transmission and tighten the

filter to 14.1 Nm (125 in. lbs.)

Fig. 2 Transmission Filters - 4X4 Shown

1 - SUMP OIL FILTER

2 - COOLER RETURN FILTER

3 - COOLER RETURN FILTER BYPASS VALVE

4 - VALVE BODY

Use the procedures outlined in TechCONNECT® ( Service Information Tab / 21 -

Transmission Transaxle / Automatic - 45RFE 545RFE / Fluid / Standard Procedure / Fluid

and Filter Replacement) to replace BOTH the transmission cooler return filter and the

transmission sump oil filter.

NOTE: Always install the sump filter seal to the bottom of the transmission oil pump

first, then install the sump filter to the oil pump and previously installed seal.

DO NOT install the sump filter seal to the sump filter and then attempt to

install both to the oil pump.

Hope that is some good info for someone
#10 Old 08-03-2011, 09:29 PM
trad444

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetdepth View Post
My guy says I need a Solenoid Pack and Govenor Pressure. He also recommended changing the low and high filter while it's open.
JD
If he is telling you that you need Solenoid pack and Governor pressure solenoid his ripping you off its all contained in the Solenoid pack. Whats with the low and high filter that's not what they are called at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetdepth View Post
According to my tranny guy with over 30yrs of experience these things typically fail between 40000 and 70000 miles.
JD
Ummm not really
#11 Old 08-05-2011, 12:31 AM
dodgemastertech
dodgemastertech

If you perform the TSB and still get code P0841, then you will need to replace the solenoid pack. And the valve body assy would need to be removed to replace the solenoid pack.
#12 Old 08-07-2011, 09:53 PM
HemiTyler

i threw the p0700 code the other day and from everything i could find it told me to change my tranny fluid.. so i flushed my trans.. new oil and changed the pan and return filter.. no more p0700 codes since

Black 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 4x4, Laramie
Leveled 2.5"
35x12.50r17 Dunlop Radial Mud Rovers
3" exhaust with 3" glasspack to a 3 1/2" tip, pass side exit
K&N intake
... much more to come....

Sponsors:
Pro X Sports, Go Fast Energy,
Scott Bikes, Dakine, Sugarloaf Bike Park
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.