Cooling system issues, How to purge air? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 – 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

Hughes

Cooling system issues, How to purge air? - Posted: 05-28-2011, 06:52 PM
City: Calhoun
State: GA
Post #1

It's been awhile since I last visited but never needed because my truck has been great with zero issues.

My truck is a 2006 Ram 1500 2wd with 4.7 L engine. 110,000 miles. Here's my issue, my truck started running a warmer than normal so I say heck the coolant is pass due for changing and the thermostat also. When I went to remove the lower bolt on the thermostat cover it came about 1/4 of the way out and stopped. It would not retigthen either, it felt like it was cross threaded. I tried to work it back and forth and then it just broke off into the alumn. housing. I tried to drill the bolt out, but a few hours later I broke a drill bit off into the bolt so that ended that.

I'm not sure what that housing is called that the plastic thermostat cover mounts to. I not sure where I can get one either.

I bought this truck new and it has never had the thermostat changed so the bolt came cross threaded but that not big deal at this time as I need parts.

2006 White Ram 1500 2wd Quad Cab 4.7L
Modifications
Tinted Windows
K&N Drop In Air Filter
Slash Guards
Hella's Behind the grille
265/70/17 Nexen Tires
http://www.dirthammers.com

Last edited by Hughes : 05-29-2011 at 07:30 PM.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Hughes

Posted: 05-28-2011, 08:01 PM
Post #2

I think it's called a timing chain cover. Any how to tips?

Modifications
Tinted Windows
K&N Drop In Air Filter
Slash Guards
265/70/17 Nexen Tires
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

big guy

Posted: 05-28-2011, 08:05 PM
City: Southern Ontario, Canada
Post #3

Definite Bummer! I would be looking locally for some help. I remember in school. If you broke an easy out off. You need a machine shop with an EDM to remove it. I think it is called a EDM? You may end up having to pull you timing chain cover off to get it removed? Then get a heli coil to repair the thread.
Working on rusted shit has never been my speciality. I usually will use my torch if safe to heat. I dread the situation your in !
You can get a new t/stat housing at the dealer. I have also seen them on Rock Auto. I would really be looking locally for somebody with experience to a get hands on opinion. Hopefully they can get it out without removing the cover. Good Luck.
2003 Ram 1500 SLT, 4.7,4x4 L.B. 4.10 motive gears, auburn LSD, PML rear diff cover, 3715 super chip, airaid M.I.T. & E.A.A. dry air filter, flexalite electric fan B.M. 180 extreme with moe's fan shroud delete kit, 180* stat, JBA shorty headers, homebrew power wire, aeroforce interceptor scan gauge, sonnex line pressure booster.

Hughes

Posted: 05-28-2011, 08:12 PM
Post #4

Thanks, Yep once that drill bit broke off I knew it was over. I think if I can get the cover off I might be able to get the broken bolt out and heli coil it. Problem I have found is the cover is a dealer item and I need this to be up and running by end day monday. Thanks.

Modifications
Tinted Windows
K&N Drop In Air Filter
Slash Guards
265/70/17 Nexen Tires

big guy

Posted: 05-28-2011, 08:16 PM
City: Southern Ontario, Canada
Post #5

If you get it out. Go to Home Depot or Lowes and get some grade 8 bolts. Use some anti seize on them as well.
2003 Ram 1500 SLT, 4.7,4x4 L.B. 4.10 motive gears, auburn LSD, PML rear diff cover, 3715 super chip, airaid M.I.T. & E.A.A. dry air filter, flexalite electric fan B.M. 180 extreme with moe's fan shroud delete kit, 180* stat, JBA shorty headers, homebrew power wire, aeroforce interceptor scan gauge, sonnex line pressure booster.

Hughes

Posted: 05-29-2011, 07:09 PM
Post #6

Got the timing chain cover off and removed the broken bolt and installed heli coil, got everything back together and just can't get the cooling system purged of air.

I took pictures of the belt before I removed and have confirmed serveral times that I have the belt for the water pump routed correctly. Confirmed also with service manul for truck.

Top radiator hose is hot and lower hose going to the thermostat is cool and also the radiator cap is cool. I also confirmed with service for proper install of the thermostat.

What's the trick to getting this cooling system purged and working?? Thanks.

Modifications
Tinted Windows
K&N Drop In Air Filter
Slash Guards
265/70/17 Nexen Tires

Hughes

Posted: 05-29-2011, 08:09 PM
Post #7

No external leaks, no water in oil, lower rad hose seems to not have coolant in it.

Modifications
Tinted Windows
K&N Drop In Air Filter
Slash Guards
265/70/17 Nexen Tires

Hughes

Posted: 05-29-2011, 08:54 PM
Post #8

Sorry guy's I just need this truck running. Once the truck is up to temp shouldn't I be able to remove the rad cap and see coolant flowing through the rad if the thermostat is opening? I got nothing. New thermostat also.

Modifications
Tinted Windows
K&N Drop In Air Filter
Slash Guards
265/70/17 Nexen Tires

dmcelhannon

Posted: 05-29-2011, 10:07 PM
Moderator David Mack
City: McAllen
State: TX
View This User's Gallery
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #9

Did you remember to open and run the heater while you check the system?

God Squad July 1972-To Infinity and Beyond-#40 Little Rammie Ridin' Shotgun Club
287 Club Member #81 ~ Broken C Clip Club Member ~ Two-Tone Truck Club Member #13 ~ 4.56 R&P Club Member #8
Mighty Cracked Dash Enthusiast Club #11~Mother Earth Raping Big Truck Club Member #25~Truck and Gun Club Member #97

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC - (Nov.01) 4.7L with 89K/3***hrs, 2002 Ram 45RFE Jeep GC TCM Upgrade to 5-45RFE, Knolton Thunder Cylinder Heads & HO Cams by Sawcut, 4.56 R&P/DTT, SRT-10 Pod w/Dynojet Wideband Commander, 2-speed manual transfer case, Clifford Security System w/Auto Start/Auto Windows, RB1 CD/DVD/NAV Infinity Sound System w/30GB iPod, Offroad Package, 33" BFG T/A KO E's, Mopar Rear Wheel Liners, EBC Greenstuff Roadsport Brake Pads, K&N w/Airaid Jr Modular Intake Tube, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Sonnax Line Pressure Booster, AIR_RAM Jet Stream Scoop, PML Diff Cover, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, MSD 1.65 Alt Pulley, Lincoln E-Fan, DCC 2-Speed E-Fan Controller, 180 Jet T-Stat, Denso 160-amp Alternator, Flowmaster SI/DO Exhaust, Accele 3.5" LCD Backup System, Line of Fire LED Light Bar, Sylvania Ultra Silverstars, Hella 500 Black Magic-100W, Nokya Hyper Yellow Fog Lights, $1600 Oil Pick-up Tube thanks Dodge
Texas 1845: We the People of the Republic of Texas, acknowledging, with gratitude, the grace and beneficence of God.

Engine Failure ~ 645+-Days and Counting Thanks To A Dodge Pin-Head Engineer

“To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he
disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”
~ Thomas Jefferson

mirada80

Posted: 05-29-2011, 10:11 PM
2005 Hemi Ram
City: Mansfield
State: OH
View This User's Gallery
Post #10

You might have gotten a bad thermostat. I think on the 4.7s theres a plug you can take out on the motor where the upper hose goes in to bleed the system. Pull this and let it reun for a bit see if it helps. If not you might have to replace the thermostat again,
MODS | VaraRam Hemi Under Glass | Superchips 3865 with Trans Tune | SLP Powerflo Catback Exhaust | Shorty Wires | Electric Fan | 180 Stat | Ventvisors | Debadged | Billits in the Grill | Blacked out Led tailights | Blacked out Third Brake Light | Color Matched Headlights | 6000k HIDS in Heads and Fogs | Shorty Antenna | Torsion Bar Level

03 Silver Dodge Ram 1500 4x2 5.7 Hemi
MODS | Home Brew Ram Air CAI | Superchips 3815 | Circle D 3200 245mm converter l TMR Mod | Pacesetter Longtubes l Matching Off Road Y-Pipe l Magnaflow 14" SI/SO muffler | Electric Fan | 180 Stat | B&M ProStick Ratchet Shifter | Custom Gauges | Custom Shifter Surrond | Ventvisors | Debadged | Tinted Tails | Tinted Third Brake Light | Smoked Headlights | 5000k HIDS in heads | 3000k HIDS in fogs | Roll Pan | Shorty Antenna | Custom Painted Grill | Dipped Front Bumper | Poor mans 2/4 Drop | 17" Ram SS/T Wheels | And A Little Bit of ZEX
BEST 1/8-Motor-8.85@78__Spray-8.69@79.8
BEST 1/4-Motor-13.95@95_Spray-13.57@100.7

BEST 60'-1.75

BLUE TRUCK MEMBER #246 | SILVER TRUCK MEMBER #261

tmerritt530

Posted: 05-29-2011, 10:35 PM
Busted Knuckle Garage
City: Goddard
State: KS
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #11

How long are you running the motor? It can take a little while to get the thermostat to crack open.

Tanner 04 RCSB 4.7 4x4
OEM Off-Road 17" by 8" wheels - Goodyear Wrangler AT/S 275/70R17 tires - H/O cams
H/O cylinder heads -
OEM fog light kit - Hitch receiver kit - Self wired Tow Package
Tekonsha Prodigy trailer brake control - dumped Magnaflow 12468 DIDO
Rockford Fosgate Punch P1S410 subwoofer -Mineral Grey Truck Club #89
Gates idler pulley
Experience: The Siege of Toots!

ceri

Posted: 05-29-2011, 10:53 PM
'11 5.7L R/T Classic
City: North Richland Hills
View This User's Gallery
Post #12

When I have to purge air from my hemi I uncap the radiator, start the truck, turn on the heater, and give it about 15 minutes. It has to reach closed loop before it even engages the t-stat, so you've got to get it up to operating temperature before it can even begin to purge air.

Another added tip is to tilt the truck on a slant so that the front is nose up. Be sure to set the parking brake.

2011 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic 5.7L V8 RWD
Waiting on tuning before the mods start!

dmcelhannon

Posted: 05-29-2011, 11:13 PM
Moderator David Mack
City: McAllen
View This User's Gallery
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcelhannon View Post
Did you remember to open and run the heater while you check the system?
OK ... second question ...

Did you make sure the bleeder hole on the t-stat was at the 12-o'clock?

God Squad July 1972-To Infinity and Beyond-#40 Little Rammie Ridin' Shotgun Club
287 Club Member #81 ~ Broken C Clip Club Member ~ Two-Tone Truck Club Member #13 ~ 4.56 R&P Club Member #8
Mighty Cracked Dash Enthusiast Club #11~Mother Earth Raping Big Truck Club Member #25~Truck and Gun Club Member #97

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC - (Nov.01) 4.7L with 89K/3***hrs, 2002 Ram 45RFE Jeep GC TCM Upgrade to 5-45RFE, Knolton Thunder Cylinder Heads & HO Cams by Sawcut, 4.56 R&P/DTT, SRT-10 Pod w/Dynojet Wideband Commander, 2-speed manual transfer case, Clifford Security System w/Auto Start/Auto Windows, RB1 CD/DVD/NAV Infinity Sound System w/30GB iPod, Offroad Package, 33" BFG T/A KO E's, Mopar Rear Wheel Liners, EBC Greenstuff Roadsport Brake Pads, K&N w/Airaid Jr Modular Intake Tube, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Sonnax Line Pressure Booster, AIR_RAM Jet Stream Scoop, PML Diff Cover, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, MSD 1.65 Alt Pulley, Lincoln E-Fan, DCC 2-Speed E-Fan Controller, 180 Jet T-Stat, Denso 160-amp Alternator, Flowmaster SI/DO Exhaust, Accele 3.5" LCD Backup System, Line of Fire LED Light Bar, Sylvania Ultra Silverstars, Hella 500 Black Magic-100W, Nokya Hyper Yellow Fog Lights, $1600 Oil Pick-up Tube thanks Dodge
Texas 1845: We the People of the Republic of Texas, acknowledging, with gratitude, the grace and beneficence of God.

Engine Failure ~ 645+-Days and Counting Thanks To A Dodge Pin-Head Engineer

“To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he
disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”
~ Thomas Jefferson

Brianmc

Posted: 05-30-2011, 10:04 AM
City: British Columbia
State: BC
Post #14

On the last engine I rebuilt ( 355 chevy ) I drilled a super small hole in the thermostat before I installed it, and so ran the truck for a while with the rad cap off with the heater on. Drilling the small hole in the t-stat let's the air pockets get around the closed t-stat and escape threw the open rad cap
-DUAL FLOWMASTER 40 + K&N FILTER
-2" Leveling Kit
Closed Thread