ECM Swapping - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Vehicle Forums > Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan Talk

Closed Thread

mc_yyz

ECM Swapping - Posted: 05-06-2011, 10:53 PM
State: ON
Post #1

Hi,
I'm a new member and found that this forum has a wealth of information but couldn't find anything specific to my questions. Appreciate if anyone can share their wisdom.

I have a 2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L 2wd, mechanic diagnosed injector 4 caused ECM to go bad.

1. Original ECM p/n 4727425AD
2. If I buy a used one, will it have to be reprogrammed as I have an encoded key? or will it work right away?
3. Does the used one have to be an exact match in p/n?
4. If I buy a remanufactured one, can I bring it to the dealer to program uninstalled? or it must be installed in the vehicle?

Regards,
Mike
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

sselander

Posted: 05-07-2011, 01:09 AM
State: CT
Post #2

1. Original ECM p/n 4727425AD
Last letter does not matter, newer revision will be a higher letter2. If I buy a used one, will it have to be reprogrammed as I have an encoded key? or will it work right away? Yes, VIN, mileage, need to be programmed. Also, the software shoudbe updated.3. Does the used one have to be an exact match in p/n?
4. If I buy a remanufactured one, can I bring it to the dealer to program uninstalled? or it must be installed in the vehicle?
If properly programmed, it should be plug and play

=============================================
"ECUs are the king of ignition parts remanufacturing. When ECUs were first introduced, failure rates were high. Although original equipment manufacturers quickly improved reliability, remanufacturers found the market very attractive. Some companies developed the capability to remanufacture ECUs. The process is different from regular remanufacturing, as replacement of electronics components does not require development of mechanical tooling capabilities.
There are three methods to remanufacture the ECU. The first one is replacing visually damaged boards. The second is replacing damaged integrated circuits determined by electronic testing. The third option provides programming upgrades to the ECU on top of integrated circuit replacement. Final reliability of remanufactured ECUs depends on the method used."

"FLASH REPROGAMING... WHAT CAN IT DO FOR ME?
WANT BETTER GAS MILEGE, IMPROVED EMISSIONS, FEWER BREAKDOWNS AND IMPROVED PERFORMANCE?

THINK FLASH FIRST!

ANYONE WHO USES A PC KNOWS THAT YOU MUST FIRST PERFORM PERIODIC UPDATES TO ENSURE IDEAL PERFORMANCE. THE SAME HOLDS TRUE FOR THE ENGINE CONTROL MODULE IN YOU VEHICLE. CALIBRATION UPDATES, SUPPLIED BY THE VEHICLE MANUFACTURES AND INSTALLED BY US WITH THE EQUIPMENT WE HAVE, OFTEN CORRECTS ISSUES SUCH AS DRIVEABILTIY PROBLEMS, COMPENSATION FOR NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR, KNOWN POTENTIAL FOR PRE-MATURE FAILURE, ENHANCED DIAGNOSTICS, AND MUCH MUSH MORE. EVENTUALLY EVERY AREA OF YOU VEHICLE WILL BE CONTOLLED BY THE ENGINE CONTROL MODULE"
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

mfahey

Posted: 05-07-2011, 08:58 PM
City: Morris, Illinois
Post #3

They are available on eBay but be sure to check out their feedback. I had a not so great experience with one vendor which eventually did work out but was a pain overall. It was plug and play as I didn't have to do anything to make it work.

bw03

Posted: 05-07-2011, 10:21 PM
City: Boston
State: MA
Post #4

I got mine on ebay too. Do a search under my name. You should find the vendor I used. No problems and was very happy with the whole transaction.

sselander

ECM - Posted: 05-08-2011, 07:50 PM
Post #5

I compiled a list of 17 companies that that sell rebuilt ones.
I also put in the BBB rating.
PM me if you want a copy.

mc_yyz

Posted: 05-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Post #6

I called tech support at Cardone and I was told that for the Dodge ECM's with ignition security, the pre-programmed ECM's do not address that and I would need to go to the dealer to get the "scim ?" programmed. So, to sum up, an ECM whether pre-programmed new or a used ECM I would need to go to the dealer for the security or the vehicle will not start.

mike

sselander

Posted: 05-09-2011, 07:33 PM
Post #7

good to know
My 2001 Chrysler T&C does not have it.
My 2009 Dodge Caravan does.

mc_yyz

Got it Fixed - Posted: 05-18-2011, 09:08 PM
Post #8

Finally picked up a used ECM from the junkyard and had the dealer install and program and it's all running great.

To sum up what I've learned and for others who are in the same situation, the following are some technical advice for the 2002 Grand Caravan 3.8L FWD.

1. If you can read the part number of the ECM then that's good. I couldn't read mine and did a lot of investigating. Depending if your vehicle has EGR or not the part number would be EGR is 4727425AA to AD. Non EGR is 4727425AE to AF. I was almost mislead that i could use from AA to AF because the letter refers to the revision software but EGR vehicles stop at AD and non EGR at AF.

2. Once you have the correct part and if you have a grey coloured ignition key, which means you have security, then bring the ecm and the vehicle to the dealer as they will require to program your keys into it. Otherwise your vehicle will not start. Be sure to bring all your spare keys with you so they can all be programmed at the same time.
If you have the black key, I've heard that you can swap the ecm in your driveway and it will start.

I hope this info helps others. Although this forum did not provide me the answers that I needed, it did steer me into the right investigative path to fix my vehicle. Thanks to all.
Closed Thread