enging missing/stalling at idle or low speed acceleration - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 – 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

dmety87

engine missing/stalling at idle or low speed acceleration - Posted: 04-18-2011, 11:56 PM
City: Macomb
State: MI
Post #1

Hey all,

I've had this problem for quite some time and I've tried a hundred things to solve it, but have had no luck...

The truck is a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L V8 4dr 4WD

What happens is, normally when I start the truck after it's been sitting for awhile, and get moving, it will hesitate, and not want to move when i try to accelerate. the engine will "chug" like it's not getting gas or whatever and then all of a sudden it'll be okay and get moving. Sometimes in order to fix this, i'll have to let off the gas and keep trying that until it goes, or sometimes I just have to keep pushing it and it'll "break through" eventually (it feels like something is plugged and then it breaks through). Usually once it does it once, it doesn't do it for the rest of the drive. It typically does this from a cold start or after it's been off for awhile (slightly warm?) It likes to do it sometimes when I first start driving it and I'll be moving along fine and then I'll stop at a red light and the rpms will start to fluctuate and it will seem like it's going to stall, I'll throw it in neutral and rev it a bit and sometimes that will temporarily fix the problem.

So, here's the list of things I've done: (keep in mind I've only had this truck for like 5ish months, just purchased it used in October 2010)

- Replaced spark plugs and wires
- Oil changes (several)
- Replaced ignition coil, rotor and distributor cap
- Replaced driver's side PCV valve and hose
- Air filter is fine (K&N)
- Have ran Seafoam and other similar products through the gas tank to try and clean the fuel system
- Have run Seafoam through the brake booster hose into the injectors/cylinders twice now
- Have run Seafoam through the crankcase
- Replaced muffler and catalytic converter
- Replaced O2 sensors
- Cleaned throttle body with TB cleaner
- Replaced gas cap

Any ideas?? I'm going to try resetting my PCM tomorrow after some of the recent fixes and see if that helps. I just replaced the PCV valve and hose yesterday...

Dave

Last edited by rye : 07-18-2011 at 07:20 PM. Reason: fixed title
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

ceri

Posted: 04-19-2011, 08:48 AM
'11 5.7L R/T Classic
City: North Richland Hills
State: TX
View This User's Gallery
Post #2

There is a PCM update from the dealer that may solve this for you. Many of the hemis from the earlier part of 3rd gen rams had/have this sort of issue. The PCM update is one of many possible fixes, but you've hit quite a few of them already according to your post. After the PCM update (not just a reset) and assuming it's still going fritzy, try replacing or cleaning the EGR valve if you have one (not sure the '03s do), cleaning your engine sensors (crank, IAT, MAP), and thoroughly inspecting the EVAP system (charcoal canister and hoses).

After that I'm stumped. The PCM update bumps the idle up a little, which got rid of my idle crashing, but it still has a slight shimmy in park.

2011 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic 5.7L V8 RWD
Waiting on tuning before the mods start!

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

3rdGenRam4.7

Posted: 04-19-2011, 01:36 PM
Cali Grown
City: Sacramento
State: CA
View This User's Garage
Post #3

If the pcm doesn't help, I always tell people to check the TSB on the transmission filters.

I am not positive if it applies to your truck but when I used to start my truck after a long period of sitting, the first stop I rolled to the truck would hesitate and occasionally stall. Took it in and hasn't happened since.

Good luck.

Sunroof
5% Tint All Around (3 Tickets and Counting...)
22" Boss 335s (Black w/ Chrome Lip)
Heated/Leather Seats w/ Ram Head
Belltech Flip Kit And Eibach Springs (2" Up front, 5" In the back)
2 10" Alpine Type-R's (Under Rear Seat)
Alpine PDX1.1000 (Stolen, Have a POS Denio's Amp Now )
^Viper Alarm with Remote Start^
Pioneer AVH5500
MB Quart 6"x9"s and 6.5"s
Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust (Dual Straight Back)
Line-X Over the Rails
Pro-164 Radioshack Police Scanner
40-Channel CB Radio
Dual-Tone Air Horn

crasher76

Posted: 04-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Im wired!!!
City: K-TOWN
State: WI
Post #4

Relays?
Black 2003 QC SB SLT 4x4 Offroad 5.7L HEMI, Original Owner 3.92 LSD, 260 cam, 6.1 Rods/Springs, Home Ported/Polished Heads, Psc1, 04 Map sensor and Fuel pump assembly, Oil pressure guage, Amsoil, Champs, MSD 8.5MM Full length Wires, Transgo HD w/out resistor, Superchip, 180 T-Stat, K/N 77 Series, Ceramic Flowtech headers with Y-Pipe, Stage 8 locks, Ditched the cat, O2 sensor mod, Jack Rabbit bed cover, Sprayed bed liner, Big Mouth Grill-Black, Blackend Headlights/Tails, Silverstar ultras, Ditched all chrome, Custom 10's sub enclosure, Upgraded 160 amp alt, Window tint, Relocated purge valve, Energy suspension bushings, Rear spring clamps, Rebuilt front suspension, Ditched Sway Bar, Passport 8500 Radar Detector, Ditched the baby seat- kid wasnt mine, Cigarette burn in the seat mod, Debadged, Custom Rewired/Properly Grounded.

crasher76

Posted: 04-19-2011, 08:23 PM
Im wired!!!
Post #5

Welcome to dodgetalk.
Black 2003 QC SB SLT 4x4 Offroad 5.7L HEMI, Original Owner 3.92 LSD, 260 cam, 6.1 Rods/Springs, Home Ported/Polished Heads, Psc1, 04 Map sensor and Fuel pump assembly, Oil pressure guage, Amsoil, Champs, MSD 8.5MM Full length Wires, Transgo HD w/out resistor, Superchip, 180 T-Stat, K/N 77 Series, Ceramic Flowtech headers with Y-Pipe, Stage 8 locks, Ditched the cat, O2 sensor mod, Jack Rabbit bed cover, Sprayed bed liner, Big Mouth Grill-Black, Blackend Headlights/Tails, Silverstar ultras, Ditched all chrome, Custom 10's sub enclosure, Upgraded 160 amp alt, Window tint, Relocated purge valve, Energy suspension bushings, Rear spring clamps, Rebuilt front suspension, Ditched Sway Bar, Passport 8500 Radar Detector, Ditched the baby seat- kid wasnt mine, Cigarette burn in the seat mod, Debadged, Custom Rewired/Properly Grounded.

Hemi_2500

Posted: 04-20-2011, 06:24 PM
Bigg Rigg
City: Carterville
State: IL
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #6

wait you have a 03 but listed a 5.9L. 5.9L was only in 02 so do you have the 5.7L Hemi? Welcome to DT.
Proud Member of the White Truck Club #77
Proud Member of the Military Truck Club #10
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi
2013 Dodge Journey Blacktop Edition
2005 Dodge Magnum R/T Hemi GONE

ceri

Posted: 04-20-2011, 09:12 PM
'11 5.7L R/T Classic
View This User's Gallery
Post #7

Early '03s had the 5.9L gasser. It got changed over halfway through the model year.

dmety87

Posted: 04-22-2011, 10:30 PM
Post #8

Is there any way to see what version your PCM has? Guessing you need a scantool of some type? Yeah, that's kind of what it does, especially even if I just start the truck cold (or after it sits parked/off for awhile), it'll run fine for a bit and then eventually begin to start sputtering. The tailpipe is spitting out water too...not a large amount but it'll wet the cement decently for sure...I know water is normal right? condensation etc? just seemed like a bit much, especially with all the roughness as it's running there.

dmcelhannon

Posted: 04-22-2011, 10:51 PM
Moderator David Mack
City: McAllen
View This User's Gallery
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmety87 View Post
Is there any way to see what version your PCM has? Guessing you need a scantool of some type? ......
The tag or sticker on top of the PCM will have that info.

Quote:
.... The tailpipe is spitting out water too...not a large amount but it'll wet the cement decently for sure...I know water is normal right? condensation etc? just seemed like a bit much, especially with all the roughness as it's running there.
Get the NAPA Block and Cylinder Head Kit. It'll test the anit-freeze for CO which would mean the exhaust is leaking into the coolant. That's how I found my problem with my engine. I checked everything! The engine passed the compress/leak down test with flying colors; the truck wasn't over heating; no fluid loss; and the oil never changed color or had fluid in it. But there was a problem somewhere in the top end and I replaced everything from the head gaskets up.

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC ~ 02 Ram 45RFE to Jeep GC TCM 5-45RFE Upgrade - (Nov.01) 4.7L with 85K/3142hrs, Knolton Thunder Cylinder Heads & HO Cams by Sawcut, 4.56 R&P/DTT, SRT-10 Pod w/Dynojet Wideband Commander, 2-speed manual transfer case, Clifford Security System w/Auto Start/Auto Windows, RB1 CD/DVD/NAV Infinity Sound System w/30GB iPod, Offroad Package, 33" BFG T/A KO, Mopar Rear Wheel Liners, EBC Greenstuff Roadsport Brake Pads, K&N w/Airaid Jr Modular Intake Tube, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, AIR_RAM Jet Stream Scoop, PML Diff Cover, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, MSD 1.65 Alt Pulley, V8 Lincoln E-Fan, FK-60 E-Fan Controller w/relay, 180 Jet T-Stat, Flowmaster SI/DO Exhaust, Tire-2-Tire Chrome Tuber Step, Line of Fire LED Light Bar, Sylvania Ultra Silverstars, $1600 Oil Pickup Tube

Texas 1845: We the People of the Republic of Texas, acknowledging,
with gratitude, the grace and beneficence of God.

~ Waiting to fix my Ram! ~ 2-Years and Counting! ~

rye

Posted: 04-23-2011, 09:35 AM
City: Ontario, Canada
State: ON
Post #10

I have a 5.9 2003 as well....my truck started stalling at idle and it turned out it was a super dirty throttle body and IAC (Idle Air Control) motor sensor.

It's not hard to clean....you remove the air intake tube from the box to the throttle body, unbolt the throttle body, remove electrical connections, and remove. Get some carb or throttle body cleaner and give it a real good cleaning, the IAC motor sensor is located in the throttle body, you can remove it with some bolts as well to clean it even better.

Good luck, and I hope it's not something more serious!

DODGETALK.COM MODERATOR
─────────────────────────────────────────────
5.9 2003 1500 4x4

Official Dodgetalk Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/DodgeTalk
Like us! Prize Giveaways, News, and More!!!

rye

Posted: 04-23-2011, 09:37 AM
Post #11

Also, it sounds like it could almost be fuel related....have you done a fuel pressure test at the injectors yet?

DODGETALK.COM MODERATOR
5.9 2003 1500 4x4

rye

Posted: 04-23-2011, 11:14 AM
Post #12

Kind of a hijack....but is this a coincidence or what? I just left the car wash and the truck was idling weird....went to pull away and it felt like it was hesitating and then I threw a misfire code p0300. I wonder what I did now! haha Moisture in the dist cap maybe? Either that or the ground for my fuel pump isn't good enough and that is causing the truck to run lean and throw the misfire.....ahhhh always something!

DODGETALK.COM MODERATOR
5.9 2003 1500 4x4

dmcelhannon

Posted: 04-23-2011, 12:23 PM
Moderator David Mack
City: McAllen
View This User's Gallery
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #13

But if we didn't have any problems, we would have a reason to work and mod the truck.

"Ah man, would just look at all that dirt on the seats!!! Well, I guess its time reupholster the whole truck! And that one bird dropping means the paint is trashed; time for some new paint. The tires look a little worn and there’s no way I’m putting new tires on rims that are six-months old! And would look at that …. "

.... it never ends and that's part of fun it.
2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC ~ 02 Ram 45RFE to Jeep GC TCM 5-45RFE Upgrade - (Nov.01) 4.7L with 85K/3142hrs, Knolton Thunder Cylinder Heads & HO Cams by Sawcut, 4.56 R&P/DTT, SRT-10 Pod w/Dynojet Wideband Commander, 2-speed manual transfer case, Clifford Security System w/Auto Start/Auto Windows, RB1 CD/DVD/NAV Infinity Sound System w/30GB iPod, Offroad Package, 33" BFG T/A KO, Mopar Rear Wheel Liners, EBC Greenstuff Roadsport Brake Pads, K&N w/Airaid Jr Modular Intake Tube, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, AIR_RAM Jet Stream Scoop, PML Diff Cover, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, MSD 1.65 Alt Pulley, V8 Lincoln E-Fan, FK-60 E-Fan Controller w/relay, 180 Jet T-Stat, Flowmaster SI/DO Exhaust, Tire-2-Tire Chrome Tuber Step, Line of Fire LED Light Bar, Sylvania Ultra Silverstars, $1600 Oil Pickup Tube

Texas 1845: We the People of the Republic of Texas, acknowledging,
with gratitude, the grace and beneficence of God.

~ Waiting to fix my Ram! ~ 2-Years and Counting! ~

Hemi_2500

Posted: 04-23-2011, 04:45 PM
Bigg Rigg
Post #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceri View Post
Early '03s had the 5.9L gasser. It got changed over halfway through the model year.
I did not know that I though all 03's had the Hemi. Thanks for the correction.

Do the 5.9 have a fuel filter on them? Could that be plugged?
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi

dmety87

Posted: 04-26-2011, 08:59 PM
Post #15

I do have a fuel filter on mine, but I haven't had it looked at because I've gotten the answer of "it's in the tank, don't touch it till you have to change the pump."

Also- done a pressure test at my local shop, they said it's sending fuel fine, no problems even when it hesitates/surges etc.

I'm going to try replacing my EVAP solenoid and then check out the EGR...where is located on the '03 5.9L?

dmety87

Posted: 05-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Post #16

Ok, so I don't have an EGR valve as far as I can tell from looking at my Chilton and the service manual from Dodge.

I removed and thoroughly cleaned the throttle body and IAC motor today, didn't solve the problem. I also tried disconnecting the IAC to let it idle a bit higher and see if it solved the problem, but that also didn't fix it (and of course threw a CEL, which I expected)

Any other suggestions? I replaced the EVAP canister purge solenoid too...no luck with that as well. I'm really frustrated with this!!

Hemi_2500

Posted: 05-01-2011, 08:49 PM
Bigg Rigg
Post #17

What about a vacuum leak somewhere?
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi

rye

Posted: 05-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Post #18

Quote:
Ok, so I don't have an EGR valve as far as I can tell from looking at my Chilton and the service manual from Dodge.

I removed and thoroughly cleaned the throttle body and IAC motor today, didn't solve the problem. I also tried disconnecting the IAC to let it idle a bit higher and see if it solved the problem, but that also didn't fix it (and of course threw a CEL, which I expected)

Any other suggestions? I replaced the EVAP canister purge solenoid too...no luck with that as well. I'm really frustrated with this!!
I would do a compression test, and maybe a fuel pressure test, just to rule those two things out.

*edit, just noticed you said you did a fuel pressure test and that was fine....

DODGETALK.COM MODERATOR
5.9 2003 1500 4x4

ceri

Posted: 05-02-2011, 01:13 AM
'11 5.7L R/T Classic
View This User's Gallery
Post #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi_2500 View Post
What about a vacuum leak somewhere?
I believe most vacuum leaks big enough to mess the engine up will throw a code. I know mine did on my '02 4.7.

How about the throttle cable? I believe the '03s still had a manual linkage between the pedal and the throttle body, but I could be wrong. You've gone beyond any of the stuff I'd normally recommend, which means it's probably going to end up being something really silly that's easy to overlook. Maybe start tracing PCM wires and look for any that might be burned. The fact that it only happens sometimes, and it tends to work itself out with enough attempts might indicate a wire problem. It's a long shot.

crasher76

Posted: 05-02-2011, 02:35 AM
Im wired!!!
Post #20

Im thinking something is taking the juice away from your plugs and fuel pump and all that good good go shit, like an extra draw/load. Wouldn't hurt to look at the hitch harness or abs system or even a new battery/cables.
Closed Thread