Loud grinding engine noise on new 2011 1500,Torque Converter Clutch? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 4th Gen (09 – Up) Forums > 4G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

Redjetty

Loud grinding engine noise on new 2011 1500,Torque Converter Clutch? - Posted: 04-07-2011, 08:01 AM
State: AR
Post #1

Anyone know what a Torque Converter Clutch would sound like if it was going bad, or defective or not working properly? I just bought my first Dodge pickup 1500 with a Hemi and only has 550 miles. It sounds like a bearing is going bad, a loud grinding noise at around 35mph to 75 mph,,, More or less peddle makes the noise stops during acceloration or decreasing, but then the noise starts again when speed levels out. Mechanic said to me that was normal... I have a hard time believing that is normal for a Dodge truck......... Rj
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

blackhemi4x4

Posted: 04-07-2011, 10:02 AM
Shut up and drive!
City: Loganville
State: GA
Post #2

Do you have the 5.7 hemi? It kinda sound like The MDS. When the engine is not under a load, it will run on four cylinders. When coasting, it cuts fuel making the MDS quiet as well.

2010 Ram 1500 QuadCab 4x4 5.7 HEMI Big Horn

mods: debadged
future mods: Exhaust, tires, tow hooks, skid plates, a/t tires, red brake calipers, maybe a tuner, line-x, 12" ported sub under a seat, colormatched grille
-Will be keeping it mostly stock.

My G/F also has the same truck, only hers is 100% stock-2010 Ram 1500 QuadCab 4x4 5.7 HEMI Big Horn

Former owner of 2007 Ram QC 4x4 BigHorn 5.7
99 Neon ES auto
01 Neon ES 5 speed
a handful of dodge Shadows (4 of them, all running)
early 90's D50

Im no longer amotorkat :P

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

black05tj

Posted: 04-07-2011, 10:41 AM
State: TX
Post #3

But he said it comes back when speed "levels out". I only notice weird noises/behaviors due to MDS upon light application of throttle under 45 mph - where I'm not giving it enough gas to kick out of MDS mode, but the RPM's are low enough to bog down the 4 cylinders that are active. At highway speeds I don't feel or hear anything.

RODGE84

Posted: 04-07-2011, 11:07 AM
City: Santiago, Chile
State: OTHER
Post #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redjetty View Post
Anyone know what a Torque Converter Clutch would sound like if it was going bad, or defective or not working properly? I just bought my first Dodge pickup 1500 with a Hemi and only has 550 miles. It sounds like a bearing is going bad, a loud grinding noise at around 35mph to 75 mph,,, More or less peddle makes the noise stops during acceloration or decreasing, but then the noise starts again when speed levels out. Mechanic said to me that was normal... I have a hard time believing that is normal for a Dodge truck......... Rj
That might be your rear axle...once the sound start, turn your head and try to locate whether the sound comes from the front or rear...there's a recall because of not enought oil filled from factory on '11 rear end causing damage to the bearings.
- "Yeah, it΄s got a Hemi" Badge

Ramrod64

Grinding Dry Bearing sound on 2011 Ram 1500 Laramie - Posted: 04-17-2011, 09:41 AM
State: ON
Post #5

I know the sound you are talking about, It kicks in around 70-80kph and you can make it go away with pedal pressure, but returns right away. It also comes in around 100kph plus and is driving me nuts too. I have taken it to two dealership and they hear it but have no solution other than "just drive it until it breaks" It sounds like it is coming from under my feet, so I think it is transmission or transfer case bearings or something of that nature. I am getting the recall done for the rear differential cover/low diff fluid issue replaced as soon as they get the kit in stock. How many other Ram owners on this thread are experiencing this dry bearing noise? (sounds like an idler pulley bearing would sound like when it is worn out). I am also aware of how he mds system works, and this is not related to it.

Last edited by Ramrod64 : 04-17-2011 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Bad Noise

jmneary

Posted: 05-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Post #6

I have had the same thing happen on my 2011 hemi sport. It began at around 3000 miles. Loud grind with some vibration associated with it. Happens between 1400 rpm and 2000 rpm mostly in 4th, 5th or OD both in ECO mode or not. Manual selection of gears does not make it go away. I have had it to dealer to repair; wired it up for sound monitors and they localized it to exhaust. Replaced exhaust pipe, also performed rear differential recall and had no effect. Mechanic say he can't fix it but does not sound right, manager says he can't hear it (must be deaf), engineering and Chrysler says that it is a known issue with the torque converter and MDS system and should be considered normal sound after the break in period. Chrysler customer care says that unless the mechanic can find something then they will not proceed and there is no way to escalate it. They seem unwilling to replace the torque converter but will sell me a new one for 1400 dollars and replace it for another 500 dollars. They will also sell me a new truck at a loss of 15000 dollars. I have owned trucks for 30 years and never a problem or a complaint. Only way to proceed is in large numbers complaining to Chysler customer care and multiple dealer visits until the issue is fixed. John

hounddogg

Posted: 05-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Post #7

I read a post somewhere long while back about same sorta noise. Same deal as you. Techs hooked sound monitors and said exhaust. Replaced muffler. Still there. Replaced both downpipes with CATS. Fixed. May not be same issue but I just remember that post and odd/grinding noise etc.
2009 Quad Cab SLT White,Hemi,2WD,20 inch wheels,3.92 gear.2003 Quad Dually 4x4,6 speed,4.10 gears,diesel.Banks 4 inch exhaust,Afe Pro Guard filter,Rottech crank sensor mod.Amsoil fliuds front to back.08 Corvette Convertible.

jmneary

Posted: 05-04-2011, 03:28 PM
Post #8

Thanks for the hint. I am pretty sure both the dealer and Chrysler Customer Care and the engineers have given up. I might have to attempt a few repairs myself to fix this. John

dizzyD

Posted: 05-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Registered MOPAR User
City: 714
State: CA
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
View This User's Dyno Entries
Post #9

WOndering if the cats are falling apart on the inside, they rattle when you step on it or the rpms are up, stop rattling when the rpms are down, just a thought.

1999 Durango SLT+ leather, 360ci 4x4, hughes plenum rebuild, superchips 3865, tow pkg, 3.55 LSD, rear tail light guard, K&N CAI, FM 50MM TB, crystal clear headlights, Torsion/shackle lift, Rancho RSX's, Pacesetter headers, dual trans & oil temp a-pillar pod, chrome deep trans pan, drilled & slotted rotors, 10 disc cd changer.

2004 Ram 1500 SLT 2WD QC LB 345ci, FM 84MM TB, slotted brake rotors, step bar, diamond plate pedals, locking gas door, tow package w/ 3.55 lsd, Hellwig LP-15, shell and carpet kit, 18% door window tint, Magnaflow 12641, Slammed1's 3" spindle lift and 2.5 coil spacer, rear lift shackles, Airraid MIT, superchips 3815, 6K front winch & custom Winch Plate, Autometer phantom trans gauge mounted in Mopar SRT A-Pillar single pod, lumber/roof rack, Rancho 9000X shocks, ATS fender flairs, 1" BL, gap guards, black grille, silver painted bezel(soon 2b white)
Next: HD rear lift bags

Gone but not forgotten 93 factory freak CC dakota lifted 4x4 318

hounddogg

Posted: 05-04-2011, 06:11 PM
Post #10

I would think something loose in them or maybe double wall in the down pipes and broken loose or such. I remember that thread and compliant. Last year sometime.
2009 Quad Cab SLT White,Hemi,2WD,20 inch wheels,3.92 gear.2003 Quad Dually 4x4,6 speed,4.10 gears,diesel.Banks 4 inch exhaust,Afe Pro Guard filter,Rottech crank sensor mod.Amsoil fliuds front to back.08 Corvette Convertible.

jmneary

Posted: 05-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Post #11

I have been looking for that thread for the last couple hours. At this point I am willing to pay for the replace myself if I can find the thread and match the symptoms to my trucks sound. Thanks

beem0

Posted: 06-21-2011, 06:52 PM
State: MI
Post #12

This sounds like what my 2011 1500 5.7L is doing with only 3K miles. It seems to be there in 4th and 5th gear and really noticable when the TC locks up. And louder when towing. It does sound to come from the trans or tcase area. Dealer is no help and I don't think it is the axle issue. Anyone else come to any conclusions?!?

schmitt

Posted: 06-24-2011, 11:50 AM
State: WI
Post #13

Seen one ram with a loose tourqe converter bolt rubbing on metal inside. Had around 4000 miles on it. Should be able to see it through the access cover. Something to check

firemn10

Posted: 06-25-2011, 03:06 AM
firemn10
City: Peoria, IL
State: IL
Post #14

I had this issue on my '11 about a month after I got it. Same EXACT symptoms. Thought it was the cats falling apart, turns out all but ONE of the four torque converter bolts were loose, 2 of which had fallen all the way out. Dealer inspected it for damage, found none. Said they must of forgot to torque the bolts at the assembly plant. Put all 4 new bolts in and torqued them to factory specs, not a problem since (5-6 mos ago).

I had a thread on here somewhere about it. Hope this helps.

Good luck, I know how frustrating it is to have a brand new $40k truck that makes noise.

Lemme ask you this, has the sound gotten worse as time has passed on? Mine did, as the bolts were getting looser and looser..lol.

2013 Ram 1500 Sport CC 4x4
HEMI, 8spd, 3.92's, keyless enter and go.
Mods-
AEM Brute Force Dry Flow Intake, debadged, 180* stat, 20% tint all around, 2.5" TGC leveling kit, 22" Magnaflow..

Future Mods-
HID's

beem0

Posted: 06-27-2011, 03:26 PM
Post #15

Thanks for the response guys! I'll check it out and let you know if I have any luck figuring it out.

beem0

Posted: 06-28-2011, 09:15 PM
Post #16

No luck. The torque convertor and flex plate bolts are tights. The search continues.....

beem0

Posted: 07-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Post #17

I found out that it was the torque convertor. There is a service fix for it. The dealer replaced it and the noise is gone (and I'm happy once again!).

LU229

Posted: 07-08-2011, 11:33 PM
LU229
State: PA
Post #18

A new torque converter DOES fix this issue, BUT, not for very long if you replace it with the factory dodge unit, the noise will definatly come back eventually. The factory t-converters are junk. (and so aren`t their differentials...!) If you want to fix it, buy one from a known good aftermarket company that builds torque converters and the noise will be gone. We tried this on a 2010 hemi 4x4 that belongs to a friend of mine and it solved the rattling/noise problem. (dodge wouldnt fix it, so he gave up and bought the new t-c himself just to get rid of the ennoying rattle) Ther is now 50,000+ miles on the new t-c and its still quiet, no noise`s at all. Dont ask me what brand t-c it is, i dont know.

If you have a 2009 on up MEX built hemi truck (usually reg cab) make sure if it has single exhaust that its NOT the exhaust you`re hearing before attempting a new torque converter. Almost every one of the reg cab MEX built trucks i`ve heard with single exhaust, has a bad rattle to it at lower RPM`s. I know, i owned one and i got rid of it just for that reason, and dodge would NOT fix it either. (plus i didnt know when i bought it that it was MADE IN MEXICO...! another reason why i dumped it)

Chevy & Ford Owners, press the help button here>>>>

Wayne084

Posted: 07-09-2011, 05:09 AM
City: Greenwood
State: NS
Post #19

Mine does the same thing too... I wonder if it will go completely before the warranty runs out?

LU229

Posted: 07-09-2011, 08:08 AM
LU229
State: PA
Post #20

Doughtful, but not impossible. It is the design of the original factory torque converter that sucks. Its not that they are ALL bad, they are just noisey due to the design and how they`re made. If you are the original owner of your truck, the factory warranty is lifetime for the 2009, and for the 2010, its 5yr/100,000mile, so if you can put up with the noise, just drive it and forget about it, if it bothers you, replace it with a good aftermarket design T/C. A "good" trans shop can do the job for around $600 to $700. Most the time, it just depends on how radical of a torque converter you buy. Like most anything, you get what you pay for in torque converters, really good ones will cost you more.

Chevy & Ford Owners, press the help button here>>>>
Closed Thread