'98 Ram 2500 diesel- transmission slipping - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 2nd Gen (94 01) Forums > 2G Dodge RAM - Drivetrain Talk

Closed Thread

winyahbay

'98 Ram 2500 diesel- transmission slipping - Posted: 04-05-2011, 01:14 PM
State: VA
Post #1

I'm a new member...be gentle please....

I have a 1998 Ram 2400 24v 5.9 diesel. My transmission is slipping from 3 to 4 gear....and then back again...basically won't hold in gear when I'm driving at a constant speed. It jumps back and fourth from 4th to overdrive in the same manner when I have the overdrive button engaged. It only seems to bounce from one gear to the other when I'm not putting any pressure on the accelerator. However...at times it operates without incident. I took it to a mechanic last week and it didn't do what I mentioned above....the guy thought I was an idiot. This past weekend it did it again....this morning it's fine.....It's driving me crazy...literally.

Where should I start...?
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

jerry cole

Posted: 04-05-2011, 01:37 PM
State: GA
Post #2

clean all ground connections. then clean battery ends and cables.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

winyahbay

Posted: 04-05-2011, 01:41 PM
Post #3

ok...I'll give it a try tonight...thanks for the suggestion.

winyahbay

Posted: 04-06-2011, 07:18 AM
Post #4

Jerry Cole...you're a genius! I cleaned and tightened the grounds on both batteries and it seems to be working fine! I hope it continues...

Thanks again...I really appreciate the help!
Closed Thread