bead locking rims - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 03-31-2011, 08:14 PM
shnill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
bead locking rims

anyone know some good brands to look at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-31-2011, 10:41 PM
TwinStick

JIC you DKnow, your stock rims have internal little ridges machined in, to keep the tire bead from rolling off the rim at lower off-road pressures, called internal beadlocks. FYI, in many states they are not leagal to run on the road- with external beadlocks. Thats why Dodge went the internal route. I happened to camp next to a guy that worked for Alcoa & he took quite an interest in my truck & specifically asked about the rims, with a big smile on his face. He was impressed that i was so knowledgeable about the truck & then confessed that he helped design the rims for the Power Wagons when Daimler sub-contracted them to Alcoa.

08' PowerWagon w/6-speed manual G-56. 05' 30' toyhauler camper.(10,500lbs)
Hellwig LoadPro 35 bolt on 4 leaf helper springs.
No honey, I'm NOT done buying shit for the truck yet !!!
PurpleCrainium Diff Guards
K&N air filter --- WeatherGuard 20" black bed toolbox.
winch TPC bypass
Dual battery set up w/2 Sears DieHard Platinums-Gp 65 under hood-Gp 31 Marine deep cycle in bed toolbox w/plug-n-play set up. Custom 2000/4000w inverter set up w/quick connect. Triple bike mounts above the bed- custom made by me.
Crapload of recovery gear-always subject to adding more.
Fab Four rear bumper. Soon to be- a BuckStop Baja front bumper.--Temporarily on hold, see reason below.
Installed: Borgeson #000951 steering shaft. PSC steering brace(notched for PW by Rusty-thanks bud). Carli HD CroMo adjustable track bar. Carli CroMo control arms. Carli HD upper & lower balljoints x 2 sets (replaced under warrenty) & triple sealed u-joints in front axle shafts & rear driveshaft. Moog HD tierod ends x 4. Running total is now $4800. Yup, now i'm broke !!!

What, you ask, is the difference between a Dodge Ram and a PowerWagon ?? PW frame part # 55398868AC---Reg 2500 #55398813AC
About 2" taller, 12,000lb winch w/mounting brace between framerails,electronic disconnecting swaybar(for awsome articulation),electronic locking axles front & rear(for true 4-wheel drive),tow pkg, fully skidplated,forged one piece Alcoa rims w/internal beadlock lips,larger diameter(one ton) axleshaft in rear,160 amp alt,HD battery,4.56 gears,low range electronic recalibration of gas pedal sensitivity,more but thinner leafs in rear spring pack(for better articulation), 33" BFG All-Terrain tires. 78.016:1 crawl ratio. All for $6100.00 more! Oh yeah, almost forgot-Bilstein shocks. Gear ratios: 1st 6.29:1 2nd 3.48:1 3rd 2.10:1 4th 1.38:1 5th 1.0:1 6th .79:1.. Rev 5.74:1.
#3 Old 03-31-2011, 10:53 PM
shnill

(Thread Starter)
yeah i knew they were just wasnt sure how good -- thanks for the reply -- saved me some $$$$ lol
#4 Old 04-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Justice4all

Also note that the KMC truck wheels such as the one on my truck have the same machined lip as the stock PW wheels if you're looking to change to something different.

If anyone is interested I have the stock wheels sitting in my shop and can take some pics of the wheel design for those that may not know what we're talking about.

2013 PW

325x65x18 Goodyear Duratracs
Dynatrac Freespin kit
Mag Hytec diff covers and tranny pan
Luverne prowler grill guard
Ranch hand sport series rear bumper with LED's
Mopar cat back exhaust
#5 Old 04-01-2011, 04:14 PM
shnill

(Thread Starter)
all kmc truck rims? cause im looking for some offset to buff up the stance of the truck a little -- and i want the big fender flares
#6 Old 04-01-2011, 04:19 PM
Justice4all

Every one I looked at in the local Les Schwab had the same machined ledge next to the outer lip. Some of them actually were probably American Racing rims as well, but I didn't pay that much attention to the brands.

I was actually kind of surprised honestly as I thought it was a PW exclusive kind of thing. Turns out it was pretty common. Check out your local dealer/shop and see if they have the same thing.

Did you want a pic of the stock PW wheels?

2013 PW

Dynatrac Freespin kit
Mopar cat back exhaust
#7 Old 04-01-2011, 08:52 PM
1screaminZ
you might be wrong

And if you are still worried, check these out...

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/cartgenie/prod-891.htm

Pretty neat. Off the top of my head, i think the 16.5 inch rim is the only one that doesn't use an internal lip to hold the bead in. This is why bead locking a 16.5 is so nice... bust a tire on the trail, its REALLY easy to take the rim apart, and slam a new tire on, air it up and keep going.

2009 Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Crew Cab 1500 Sport
#8 Old 04-02-2011, 07:31 AM
shnill

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice4all View Post
Every one I looked at in the local Les Schwab had the same machined ledge next to the outer lip. Some of them actually were probably American Racing rims as well, but I didn't pay that much attention to the brands.

I was actually kind of surprised honestly as I thought it was a PW exclusive kind of thing. Turns out it was pretty common. Check out your local dealer/shop and see if they have the same thing.

Did you want a pic of the stock PW wheels?
sure
#9 Old 04-02-2011, 10:54 AM
TwinStick

I am sure our stock rims are not as good as an actual beadlock rim, but they are better than a regular 2500 rim, when it comes to airing down/rolling a bead. I will take some pics when i have my tires replaced, when current ones wear out. It will be a while though.

08' PowerWagon w/6-speed manual G-56. 05' 30' toyhauler camper.(10,500lbs)
Hellwig LoadPro 35 bolt on 4 leaf helper springs.
No honey, I'm NOT done buying shit for the truck yet !!!
PurpleCrainium Diff Guards
K&N air filter --- WeatherGuard 20" black bed toolbox.
winch TPC bypass
Dual battery set up w/2 Sears DieHard Platinums-Gp 65 under hood-Gp 31 Marine deep cycle in bed toolbox w/plug-n-play set up. Custom 2000/4000w inverter set up w/quick connect. Triple bike mounts above the bed- custom made by me.
Crapload of recovery gear-always subject to adding more.
Fab Four rear bumper. Soon to be- a BuckStop Baja front bumper.--Temporarily on hold, see reason below.
Installed: Borgeson #000951 steering shaft. PSC steering brace(notched for PW by Rusty-thanks bud). Carli HD CroMo adjustable track bar. Carli CroMo control arms. Carli HD upper & lower balljoints x 2 sets (replaced under warrenty) & triple sealed u-joints in front axle shafts & rear driveshaft. Moog HD tierod ends x 4. Running total is now $4800. Yup, now i'm broke !!!

What, you ask, is the difference between a Dodge Ram and a PowerWagon ?? PW frame part # 55398868AC---Reg 2500 #55398813AC
About 2" taller, 12,000lb winch w/mounting brace between framerails,electronic disconnecting swaybar(for awsome articulation),electronic locking axles front & rear(for true 4-wheel drive),tow pkg, fully skidplated,forged one piece Alcoa rims w/internal beadlock lips,larger diameter(one ton) axleshaft in rear,160 amp alt,HD battery,4.56 gears,low range electronic recalibration of gas pedal sensitivity,more but thinner leafs in rear spring pack(for better articulation), 33" BFG All-Terrain tires. 78.016:1 crawl ratio. All for $6100.00 more! Oh yeah, almost forgot-Bilstein shocks. Gear ratios: 1st 6.29:1 2nd 3.48:1 3rd 2.10:1 4th 1.38:1 5th 1.0:1 6th .79:1.. Rev 5.74:1.
#10 Old 04-04-2011, 02:32 AM
Justice4all

2013 PW

Dynatrac Freespin kit
Mopar cat back exhaust
#11 Old 04-05-2011, 01:55 AM
RustyPW08
Moab Tested

Talking

On the PW rims. That inside lip is a bit bigger then most rims.
Here's a 35" Cooper STT with 20lbs of air on the stock PW rim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1649.JPG (172.7 KB, 4 views)

PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC
Sequentially Number #08-1505,
Inferno Red, Automatic
Mods to the PW; Nerffed Mopar RockRails, Wheel Well Liners, Bushwacker Pocket Fender Flairs, Extang Tonneau Cover, Garvmin dezl 560LMT GPS, Power Wagon Winch Kit, Line X Ultra Bed Liner, PIAA Headlight Bulbs, PIAA 580 Driving Lights (135 watt), PIAA 520 Fog Lights (135 watt), PIAA 520 ATP Off-Road Lights (135 watt), Locker Bypass, Modifed Rockcrusher Diff Covers, Mopar Utility Bed Rails and Tool Box, Warn Winch Wireless Remote Control, "el-cheapo" Inclinometer, Airaid CAI, Winch TPS Bypass, Had 35" Cooper STT's now 35" Toyo's, Mopar Spare Tire Lock, 'T' Steering Linkage, Modifed PSC Steering Brace, P3 Brake Controller, Modifed Fusion "mall crawler" rear bumper, PIAA 1500 Back-Up Lights, 1Ton HEMI Tranny Cooler, Leer 100XR Bed Cap, Factory Tow Mirrors, CenterLine Rims 17x9-5.25 BS, Mag-Hytec Tranny Pan, AutoMeter Gauges, PSC Extreme Hydro Assist Steering, Carli Track Bar, Carli Ball-Joints, Dynatrac FreeSpin Hubs, Snorkel, RCV Axles, EBC Pads & Rotors, Aluminess Front Bumper, BIG Pul-Pal and it's own body bag!, 60" Extreme Hi-lift Jack, and more riggin' equipment, Carli Long Travel Air Bags, Bilstein 7100 Shocks - Carli Valving, MORE STUFF COMIN', TTI headers, Somebody's long arm, 7.2L MOTOR ,
Mods to me; Ti hip replacement. Zerk fitting in knee. Now it's gets greased more than some guys front drive shafts. I've been Used, Abused and Recycled!
Survivor of The Cold War, Heaven's Gate, The Grand Conjunction, The Pleiadeans Landings, Y2K, The Winch Mob Banning, The Mayan Apocalypse, and some other covert stuff. Future zombie killer!

Jacqui, loving wife and mother. 7/11/61 - 5/13/11 I miss you!
"Moab '10, '12",
"Rausch Creek-Spring, Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13"

RUSS
#12 Old 04-05-2011, 06:20 AM
shnill

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPW08 View Post
On the PW rims. That inside lip is a bit bigger then most rims.
Here's a 35" Cooper STT with 20lbs of air on the stock PW rim.
sweeeeet!
#13 Old 04-06-2011, 09:52 AM
TimboPW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1screaminZ View Post
And if you are still worried, check these out...

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/cartgenie/prod-891.htm

Pretty neat. Off the top of my head, i think the 16.5 inch rim is the only one that doesn't use an internal lip to hold the bead in. This is why bead locking a 16.5 is so nice... bust a tire on the trail, its REALLY easy to take the rim apart, and slam a new tire on, air it up and keep going.
X2 on the Staun's! I like the concept of the internal bead lock if you're trying to retain the factory wheels. But an exterior beadlock definately has a sweeter look....

Tim

Mods: 6" Pure Performance Long Arm X Factor Suspension Lift, King 2.5 Shocks w/ reservoirs, TopGunz Reservoir Mounts, Locker Bypass, Randy Ellis Light Bar, Thuren: Track Bar, Shock Towers, Extreme Duty Steering and Rear Leafs, DT Profab Stabilizer Box, TopGunz/Fox Dual Steering Stabilizer, PSC Steering Gear w/ Hydraulic Assist, PSC HD Steering Shaft, Performance Brake slotted/dimpled rotors, Carli upper/lower Ball Joints, AMP Research Power Steps, 37" Cooper Discoverer STT M/T, 17x8 Moto Metal 957 wheels, Gibson Stainless Exhaust, AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake, (2) 7" and (4) 9" Procomp Driving Lights, Viair 400 Compressor, Defender Roof Rack with Light Cage, Warn Wireless Winch Remote, 2 sets HD snow chains, Midland CB, Magellan GPS, Vector 800 Power Inverter, Clifford Alarm w/ Remote Start, Spyder LED Tail Lights

UP NEXT: Carli Long Travel Airbags

2011 Polaris RZR- 2" Racer Tech lift, Racer Tech Custom Springs, 26" ITP Baja Cross tires, 1.5" rear wheel spacers, (2) 7" Procomp driving lights, Polaris front/rear Deluxe Bumpers, Polaris Rocksliders, Polaris Sport Roof, Polaris 3500 lbs winch w/ synthetic cable, Polaris Lock n Ride Accessory Rack, Lock n Ride Fuel Can Mount, Lock n Ride Rear Cargo Box, Custom Headache Net, Custom Storage pouches

2010 Lincoln MKX
2010 Corvette Coupe w/ Magna Charger LS7 Supercharger (556HP)
#14 Old 05-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Original Junior

Hutchinson makes some nice ones. I believe Walker Evans does too. I was looking at the Walker's over a year ago but they are too pricey for my wallet.

2007 Power Wagon, Quad Cab, Patriot Blue

Mods Complete: Line-X, Amp Research powered steps, Aero 3030 dumped, UWS red series toolbox, tinted front windows, Line-Xed Randy Ellis Light Bar, 315 Good Year DuraTracs on H2 wheels, Line-X rockers, AFE Dry Flow filter, Lightforce 240's & 170's front & Hella work lights rear

Mods to Come: Aeroforce & SRT grab handle, headache rack
Closed Thread