Heater Selector Switch Partially Working? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge/RAM Van & Cargo Truck Forums > Dodge B-Series Vans 1971 - 2003

Closed Thread

thelaibon

Heater Selector Switch Partially Working? - Posted: 02-26-2011, 11:45 AM
State: NJ
Post #1

2001 Dodge Ram Van 1500 here...

Air is not coming out of my dash vents anymore. It comes out of the floor and defroster vents just fine, but not the front dash vents. I took the dash apart and now have access to the directional switch (is that the proper name for this switch?). I can feel the vacuum sucking in air from one of the tubes, so I know that it's sucking in air (plus the defrost and floor vents work anyway) but this doesn't absolve the switch itself. I'm thinking about replacing the switch -- but want to diagnose this properly first. Additionally, is there an aftermarket switch available?

BTW, when this problem first surfaced a week ago, air was NOT going to the floor when I selected floor, or floor/dash mix. I'm assuming that in the process of taking it apart and using WD40 on everything, I somehow managed to jar it and now the floor vents are working properly, but alas the front dash vents are still victim.

Perhaps the switch is the culprit?
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

sovablunt

Posted: 02-26-2011, 11:56 AM
Certified Mopar Maniac
City: Newton
State: KS
Post #2

I would check the lines to see if something is plugging them. Maybe trace them back to the blower and check both ends.
*DodgeTalk.com 318 Enthusiast Member #136
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

thelaibon

Posted: 02-26-2011, 12:06 PM
Post #3

Thanks for the reply, sova. Any chance u know where I can find a schematic of the vac lines? Not sure where the blower is located. I know the blower resistor is behind the glove box.

Also what's the name of the switch itself in the event that I need to replace it?

landyacht318

Posted: 02-26-2011, 12:50 PM
Off the Grid
State: CA
Post #4

I hope you did not get WD 40 on any rubber vacuum lines.

Anything with petroleum distillates is detrimental to rubber.

thelaibon

Posted: 02-26-2011, 12:57 PM
Post #5

I did... well AFAIK the lines themselves are not rubber but the gaskets/seals appear to be. So this might wear them away in the long term? Hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot in the near future.

landyacht318

Posted: 02-26-2011, 01:42 PM
Off the Grid
State: CA
Post #6

Well it's not like it instantly dissolves rubber. Most tire shine products are loaded with petroleum distillates which just accelerate the deterioration of the rubber.

In the future, silicone spray cleans and lubes nicley without being detrimental to rubber. Some contain petroleum distillates only as the propellant and it quickly evaporates.

Before replacing windshield wipers, try cleaning them with rubbing alcohol.

alloro

Posted: 02-26-2011, 02:42 PM
Elder User
Post #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelaibon View Post
Not sure where the blower is located. I know the blower resistor is behind the glove box.
The blower motor is under the hood. The resistor is also under the hood. The part you're looking at behind the glove box is the blend door motor.

thelaibon

Posted: 02-26-2011, 02:46 PM
Post #8

Alright, I've confirmed that the NAME of the switch that I'm looking for is the "mode control."

Update -- now the floor vents are no longer opening/working. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. The dash vents are not working at all. It's gotta be the switch.

Thanks to everyone replying so far

sovablunt

Posted: 02-26-2011, 10:10 PM
Certified Mopar Maniac
City: Newton
State: KS
Post #9

I was wondering, didnt know what the proper name was for it. I think someone on here has posted the diagram before.
*DodgeTalk.com 318 Enthusiast Member #136

mylestone

Hi - Posted: 02-27-2011, 08:15 AM
mylestone
City: Beverly
State: MA
View This User's Gallery
Post #10

Go with Alloro he's got the answer,I know, I reconnected 8 vacuum likes and one way valves plus the fan speed resistor under the hood on the fan housing And finally got reliable heat, def,vent,cruse control and 3 fan speeds.Take your time and look for unplugged,cracked vacuum lines!Its a JOB!
Myles

thelaibon

Posted: 02-28-2011, 12:00 PM
Post #11

Update:
Dodge does not sell the mode control separately -- I'd have to buy the entire panel for $168, which includes the blower speed control, temp control, and mode control. No junkyards around have this van either.

Problem is I don't know if the switch is bad or if a vacuum line is bad. Since the dash vents don't work and the floor vents SOMETIMES do, I'm inferring that the more likely culprit is the mode control and not 2 separate vacuum lines (unless of course the dash vents and floor vents share the same line, which I don't know without a diagram).

I'm going to scour for a vac line diagram. If anyone happens to see one let me know!

no_common_sense

Posted: 03-02-2011, 11:43 PM
Chronic BS'er
State: WI
Post #12

In my experience with the vans, you'll want to look at the plastic vacuum lines coming out of the firewall under the hood. You'll want to look for a rubber grommet with three lines coming out of them and they should be not too far from center but favoring the driver's side. Those plastic lines coming out will all travel to the passenger side toward the heater box and heater control valve(s). These plastic lines always get brittle and crack or break. Because all three of these lines were so prone to breakage, I always used to replace all of them at once. I found replacement plastic tubing but I would only use an inch or an inch and a half worth of the plastic to plug into the grommet. I would then use rubber hose the rest of the length toward the heater box or valves. You can salvage part of the plastic line coming from the heater box as long as the rubber hose gets over in the neighborhood of said heater box where the engine heat is much less prone to brittle the plastic line.

It's been quite a while since I worked on them so I may have some details wrong but this should be reasonably close. My fleet always had front and rear heaters so the configurations might have minor differences on your van anyway. Good luck with your repair.

alloro

Posted: 03-03-2011, 12:40 PM
Elder User
Post #13

Here is the vacuum pinout and color codes from a 2000, which should be the same as your 2001.

tony4jc

Posted: 04-06-2011, 12:19 AM
City: stamford
State: CT
Post #14

Check under the " dog house " on the passenger side of the engine for broken vac lines. I had the same issue with my 99 B3500MW and that fixed it
1993 Plymouth Grand Voyager LE
1990 Dakota CC
1989 W300 Dump
Previously; 1993 Grand Caravan SE "Sport"
1988 W250 Pick-up
1984 W250 Pick-up
1985 Caravan LE 2.6
1981 B250 225/6
1978 Ramcharger
1975 B300 Maxivan

DannyDT

Posted: 04-06-2011, 01:05 PM
City: DC area
State: OTHER
Post #15

I have a control somewhere, i parted out an 01.. I have the same problem with my 98,
swapped out the control, and it' s still in default defrost mode.. so I've got to track mine down too. I'm really glad this thread exist so i know where to start checking for cracked lines. I'd bet yours is the same.
94 Dodge Ram van B250 - 8 passenger - Natural Gas 20k miles - sold
*DodgeTalk.com Ram Van/Wagon Member# 74*
Closed Thread