Mini Tub - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 02-20-2011, 09:47 AM
HeathersToy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Mini Tub

I'm starting the process of preparing my '98 Dakota for my daughter when she turns 16. I have a year and a half still so I'm in the planning phase. One of the first things I will be doing is lowering it. That seems straight forward enough but I'm wondering though as to leaf relocation. While I'm under there I would like a mini tub but have not really looked at what kind of space is under there and with the snow here melting and me with a garage full of of crap I'm just not ready to crawl under it. Has anyone done this and if so what size rim and offset are you using. My end goal is for her to have the look of a pro street truck. Something like this

BTW: It is a 1998 extended cab 2wd with the ever so potent 3.9l

In 2005 I took the wife in to buy a mini van and she comes home with a Durango she calls HeatherToy. 5 months later I buy my toy but for some reason she calls it MoneyPit. That just ain't fair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-20-2011, 09:54 AM
HeathersToy

(Thread Starter)
Like I said. SNOW

In 2005 I took the wife in to buy a mini van and she comes home with a Durango she calls HeatherToy. 5 months later I buy my toy but for some reason she calls it MoneyPit. That just ain't fair.
#3 Old 02-20-2011, 11:57 PM
MONKYMAN

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Dude that kota has a cage, skinnies and slicks? Only a 3.9 though? What did it run? Lowering it the easy way would be spacers. I'm not sure how must guys do do theirs though. I want to do mine asap. ive got blocks but I don't know what to do. why do you want to lower it? They aren't tall stock

Welcome to the forums too! Hope you stick around, love the dak in the picture!

2000 Dakota R/t 5.9 Club Cab: SRT-4 Seats, K&N FIPK, Holley 52mm Throttle Body, Superchips 3715, 4.10 Gears, Viper Fan, 180* T-Stat, Hooker Shorty Headers, Flowmaster 50 Dumped, Lowered 2/5 with Nitro Drop Shocks, CalTracs, Boss 330's, Nitto 420s tires, Shaved Tailgate, Grant Kustoms Weld-in Rollpan.
Stereo:
Pioneer Premier DEH-P510UB, Pioneer Premier 6 3/4 components, Pioneer Premier 6x9 Premier 800x4 amp driving speakers, MTX Thunderform Box with 2 10" Shallow Premier subs.
#4 Old 02-21-2011, 10:44 AM
DartBoy01
Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONKYMAN View Post
Dude that kota has a cage, skinnies and slicks? Only a 3.9 though? What did it run? Lowering it the easy way would be spacers. I'm not sure how must guys do do theirs though. I want to do mine asap. ive got blocks but I don't know what to do. why do you want to lower it? They aren't tall stock

Welcome to the forums too! Hope you stick around, love the dak in the picture!
Hahaha I'm pretty sure the picture is for reference.

As for dropping a Dakota you can get them really low and tuck tire without having to do any major inner fender modifications in the back.

The front is a different story since it pretty much stops at the fender.

There are plenty of guys running 5/6 drops with no problems. It's all just about planning and development of what you want in the end.

If I was to suggest something, I'd say just go with a nice set of probably 8.5"-9.5" wide wheels with the right offset if you want to tuck tire. To mini-tub a 3.9L Dakota, and put a super wide tire on the back would be pointless, in the fact that it would be so much slower, and you'd probably be looking at 13-16 MPG.

Just look around on the site and you'll see plenty of lowered Dakota's.

Here's a picture of my truck for a common drop on these trucks. It would equal out to a 3/3 drop on your Dakota since it wasn't an R/T. I've got 20x8.5 wheels on it with a +20 mm offset.

1999 Dakota R/T
Interior fully Dynamatted, B&M Hammer Shifter, 2" DJM Coils, Sir Michaels Roll Pan & Handle Relocator, '69 Camaro chin spoiler, K&N FIPK, Spintech Headers and full side exit exhaust, Mopar Performance PCM, Viper E-fan w/ Painless performance temp controller, F&B 52mm T-body, Mopar M1 2BBL intake, 180* T-stat, Dual A-pillar pod w/ AEM Wideband, AEM trans temp gauge, stock smoked tails, Clear corners and headlights with Morimoto mini projectors 6K HID and 3k fogs 20" Boss 330 wheels, Cal-Tracs, SRT-4 Seats, Performance built transmission with 2500 stall, Hotchkis sway bars, Energy Suspension poly bushing set.

Awaiting install: Hotchkis leaf springs, C-notch, Viper front brakes, Innovations Pro Sport Tonneau.

SCT Tuned by Hemifever!

Hopefully in the future...
408, 4.10 gears, Edelbrock aluminum heads, Rear disc conversion, cowl or shaker hood and more as I think of them.

My Project
1972 Dart Swinger Special
and eventually a 1978 Dodge D-100 Adventurer standard cab short bed W/ a 440!

#5 Old 02-21-2011, 12:41 PM
HeathersToy

(Thread Starter)
Yea, the truck in the pic isn't mine but the look I'm going for. If you look in one of my snow pic's you can see the back of the green Dakota she will be getting. As for the 3.9, I will keep that in the vehicle till my daughter gets a little drive time under her belt but it will be swapped out. My mechanic bugs me all the time about dropping his 383 into it but I'm leaning toward a carbureted 318. As for the stance, Dartboy's is about right on the money. Don't want it slammed but it definitely would look odd with fat/skinnies at the stock height.

#6 Old 02-21-2011, 08:04 PM
DartBoy01
Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeathersToy View Post
Yea, the truck in the pic isn't mine but the look I'm going for. If you look in one of my snow pic's you can see the back of the green Dakota she will be getting. As for the 3.9, I will keep that in the vehicle till my daughter gets a little drive time under her belt but it will be swapped out. My mechanic bugs me all the time about dropping his 383 into it but I'm leaning toward a carbureted 318. As for the stance, Dartboy's is about right on the money. Don't want it slammed but it definitely would look odd with fat/skinnies at the stock height.
Well I know of only a couple guys running a carbureted engine in a Dakota, and can tell you if you plan on doing that, don't plan on getting any better mileage than your getting with the 3.9L lol.

1999 Dakota R/T
Interior fully Dynamatted, B&M Hammer Shifter, 2" DJM Coils, Sir Michaels Roll Pan & Handle Relocator, '69 Camaro chin spoiler, K&N FIPK, Spintech Headers and full side exit exhaust, Mopar Performance PCM, Viper E-fan w/ Painless performance temp controller, F&B 52mm T-body, Mopar M1 2BBL intake, 180* T-stat, Dual A-pillar pod w/ AEM Wideband, AEM trans temp gauge, stock smoked tails, Clear corners and headlights with Morimoto mini projectors 6K HID and 3k fogs 20" Boss 330 wheels, Cal-Tracs, SRT-4 Seats, Performance built transmission with 2500 stall, Hotchkis sway bars, Energy Suspension poly bushing set.

Awaiting install: Hotchkis leaf springs, C-notch, Viper front brakes, Innovations Pro Sport Tonneau.

SCT Tuned by Hemifever!

408, 4.10 gears, Edelbrock aluminum heads, Rear disc conversion, cowl or shaker hood and more as I think of them.

My Project

#7 Old 02-22-2011, 07:06 AM
HeathersToy

(Thread Starter)
I'm thinking 15ish Hwy with a small block. I've got some time before she can legally drive it and am just trying to work out some of the issues now. A quick look shows about a 3" difference between hitting the springs and hitting the frame. I don't need to tuck the tire under but I don't want it sticking out either.
I'm guessing I would need to do a little work to get a wide (29 X 12.50-15) tire under there. I know I'll have some offset calculating to do as well. The web site claims rim widths between 8.5 to 11 but I'm thinking I need to be on the wider end of that spectrum. I'm not sure if they even make wide rims for the 6 lug. The front wouldn't be an issue. I'm not putting true "skinnies" on the front but they will be much narrower than the back.

She's a bit of a gear head and will want to run it at KCIR but until she gets the experience it will be a no go show boat.

#8 Old 02-22-2011, 07:46 PM
DartBoy01
Harrison

I'll say from my point of view my 30x10.5 slicks look plenty wide tucked underneath my truck

Dang, just realized I don't have any pictures of them on the truck

1999 Dakota R/T

SCT Tuned by Hemifever!

My Project

#9 Old 02-22-2011, 11:38 PM
MONKYMAN

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DartBoy01 View Post
I'll say from my point of view my 30x10.5 slicks look plenty wide tucked underneath my truck

Dang, just realized I don't have any pictures of them on the truck
Gasp!!! slicks?! Lemme see!

2000 Dakota R/t 5.9 Club Cab: SRT-4 Seats, K&N FIPK, Holley 52mm Throttle Body, Superchips 3715, 4.10 Gears, Viper Fan, 180* T-Stat, Hooker Shorty Headers, Flowmaster 50 Dumped, Lowered 2/5 with Nitro Drop Shocks, CalTracs, Boss 330's, Nitto 420s tires, Shaved Tailgate, Grant Kustoms Weld-in Rollpan.
Stereo:
Pioneer Premier DEH-P510UB, Pioneer Premier 6 3/4 components, Pioneer Premier 6x9 Premier 800x4 amp driving speakers, MTX Thunderform Box with 2 10" Shallow Premier subs.
#10 Old 02-23-2011, 06:11 AM
HeathersToy

(Thread Starter)
Yea, I would like to see that as well. If I can make it work with as little "work" as possible I'm all for it. What we are after is a pro street look. It may go to the track on occasion but by no means is it going to be a track truck. By simple measurement it looks like about 13" total clearance and 3" gained if I relocate the springs. That may be enough room but I would like to find someone who has crammed wide tires on theirs and get an honest judgment of how wide I can go with stock, springs relocated and if anyone has a tub. Offsets would be helpful as well.

Man phantom dually's would make like so much simpler

Last edited by HeathersToy; 02-23-2011 at 06:30 AM.
#11 Old 02-23-2011, 08:37 AM
DartBoy01
Harrison

Here we go, found it on one of my other websites. One of my buddies took a picture of the groups cars.

I need one from the rear though so you can see how wide these truly are.

1999 Dakota R/T

SCT Tuned by Hemifever!

My Project

#12 Old 02-23-2011, 12:22 PM
HeathersToy

(Thread Starter)
Yea, a back shot would be great.

I was surfing around and found and old thread on another board where they were claiming a 28x13.5x15 would fit. I'm just not sure what it would look like. I found this pic (I know it's a first gen though) and I'm after something like this. No roll bar or spoiler but the big-little combo like this and a mild 318 to start.

#13 Old 02-23-2011, 07:26 PM
DartBoy01
Harrison

So you measured 13" from inner fender to outer fender? If so I'd bet that's even without the fender flares like on my truck. With those you could get probably another 2-3" more width wise.

1999 Dakota R/T

SCT Tuned by Hemifever!

My Project

#14 Old 02-23-2011, 08:01 PM
blk03hemi

This guy is from Chicago its a 3.9 tubbed with 5lug hemi rear end custom coal hood I might have some pics laying around somewhere http://www.benlevy.com/4images/img4568.htm
#15 Old 02-23-2011, 09:46 PM
HeathersToy

(Thread Starter)
Daaaaammm

Anyway, it was a quick tape measure but yea around 13" Dartboy. As I'm just in the planning phase different questions keep popping up in my mind. I'm assuming my rear is the same as say your R/T came with and would handle a mild engine in the 275-350 hp range. I can't imagine I would be any higher and leaning more toward the 300 side. I'd hate to go through a lot of work to just have to change the rearend out later. I also need to make a mock up for the size tires I'm after and see where it actually ends up. The less cutting the better.

I knew I would find a use for that plastic barrel the wife drug home. Of course it didn't go in the back of her Durango so I had to lug it home so I lay claim to it.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.