1985 ram d150 royal se prospector questions - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP DODGETALK MERCHANDISE ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Vintage Dodge Truck Forums > 1972-1987 Dodge Ram Trucks (D, W-series)

Closed Thread

rat rod dodge

Talking 1985 ram d150 royal se prospector questions - Posted: 02-10-2011, 09:50 AM
State: OTHER
Post #1

i'm recently a proud owner of a 85 ram, with a 2 brl 318. i paid $925 for it from a pawn shop. only major problems i have are it smokes on start up, has oil leak { i'm thinking timing cover ** i've replaced the shocks, tires, passanger side fender, tune up, oil change. i'm just using spay paint to paint it. anyway, i still have a few questions to ask if someone can help.
1. the passanger side door will not stay completly closed unless you slam it. i've tried shims, ajusting stricker, ???
2. fan for heater barely blows. i put in a new motor' still the same.
3. 99% of the time truck starts & runs no problem, other times it wants to die as soon as possible, & at every stop sign & light. leave alone for a few minutes it'll start up no problem. doesn't matter if it is hot, or cold outside.
4. if i decide to put a newer bed on it [ just so i can buy accesories for it ]. what year would be best?
5.i am also looking for a bench seat for it [ it has a beige, yellowis interior ]

thanks for looking & any and all help. alva
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

rat rod dodge

Posted: 02-10-2011, 09:55 AM
Post #2

also, 6.what size rear brakes? 3 different sizes from parts store.
7. they also say 2 different size u-joints
thanks again
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Delray Dude

Posted: 02-10-2011, 12:48 PM
440 and a 4 speed
City: Ft. Lauderdale
State: FL
View This User's Garage
Post #3

1. possible the hinges are worn - need new ones or re-bushed.

2. could be that the ducting is cracked / mia / clogged with debris

3. number of things most likely carb related - stuck choke - vapor lock - stuck float

4. Any from 1980 to 1992 will work - all the same until they changed body style

5. keep my eyes peeled

6. need to measure - could be any of them - most likely the middle or small grade with the 318 package - but anything is possible - pull wheel off, remove drum and measure the diameter of the drum.

7. could be either. really depends upon the transmission you have - would be larger if you have a 727 and 4 speed overdrive and smaller if a 904.

rat rod dodge

Posted: 02-10-2011, 01:08 PM
Post #4

how can i find out what size transmission?

Delray Dude

Posted: 02-10-2011, 01:13 PM
440 and a 4 speed
View This User's Garage
Post #5

easiest way is to crawl underneath it and look at it. The transmission pans are different. The 904 is basically rectangular with a dog ear on the drivers side back corner.

If I remember correctly the 727 pan has a few curves in it - especially where the dipstick meets up on hte passenger side front. Not sure on that - haven't looked at one lately.

Sometimes you can see it in the bellhousing casting - a-727 or 904 (sometimes it's a 999 also) but best way is to ID it by the pan

Delray Dude

Posted: 02-10-2011, 01:16 PM
440 and a 4 speed
View This User's Garage
Post #6

if you look at this link:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Mopar-Performa...oductId=753058

that is what a 727 pan looks like.

The pan pic they show at jegs for the 904 is not correct - it's the same picture showing the 727 pan.

rat rod dodge

Posted: 02-10-2011, 01:22 PM
Post #7

thanks for the help. its been great since i've had it. much better than my '96 1500

volaredon

Posted: 02-10-2011, 04:53 PM
older trucks ARE better!
State: IL
Post #8

if it IS a D 150 the brakes will be 11X2.5; they show the 12" brakes in the catalog but I have no idea why; these were D 250-D350 parts; measure the drum "open side up" with a tape measure and that will tell. yours is a 5 lug wheel? then it is a 150 series. and what I said will hold true.
and yes, my 83 D 250 is 10 times the truck my 97 1500 was, too.

earlp8

Posted: 02-24-2011, 07:46 PM
City: Hamilton
State: ON
Post #9

my d150 is 10 in so only way for sure to tell is measure the drums

charlie1935

Posted: 02-24-2011, 08:10 PM
City: DuQuoin
Post #10

Tranny ID.
727 --------------- 904
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 727.jpg (1.8 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg 904.jpg (1.9 KB, 136 views)
SSBC slotted rotors
Tri wing tonneau cover
Ultra 50/51 16x10 wheels
265 70x16 Firestone Destination LE tires
3.55 rear
99-01 sport headlights with Silverstar bulbs
MSD coil
Fram Boost intake -Freebie. I won it
Edelbrock shocks
Yes, grandpas like toys too

87 D100 318 auto. stock

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

volaredon

Posted: 02-24-2011, 10:12 PM
older trucks ARE better!
Post #11

and measure inside where the shoes ride not edge to edge. Yeah there wewe a frw yrs that had 10" brakes back around 80-81; I forget exactly what yr but around 84-5 they quit putting 10" brakes on the 100s/150s.

bookworm

Posted: 02-26-2011, 05:54 AM
City: Guthrie
State: OK
Post #12

The door problem may very well be a bad latch. The part inside the door. Sometimes you can take it out, clean & re-lube (white lithium grease works very well), reinstall and it works. Other times it's so worn that it's junk.
Banks PowerPack, FluiDampr balancer, ATS 2-piece exhaust manifold, Banks 3-Disc Billet Torque Conv., Transtar Billet flexplate, Transgo shift kit with some Sonnax billet goodies, Dorman steel trans pan w/drain plug, DieselSite external trans filter, Hellwig rear anti-sway bar, GDP MK-2 fuel filter kit
Tinted, mostly de-badged, some other stuff too.

My truck is exactly the way I want it...except there's a few things I want to change.

yarddogg77

Posted: 03-02-2011, 02:06 PM
City: Benton City, WA
State: WA
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #13

My truck used to have the same trouble dying every chance it got. Felt like a ghost in there. It could be a number of things. Dirty carb, bad timing, etc.. With my truck it was actually a bad coil. It would start fine and run for a bit, then either die, or start cutting out, then it would die. I would let the coil cool down for a bit, then it would start and run again. The problem got consistently worse until it would no longer stay running. Something to consider if you rule out the other stuff.

Heater fan. I still have the same trouble. I've replaced the switch and motor, still blows weak. I'm suspecting the resistor now, it's the only thing I haven't replaced. I believe it's mounted on top of the duct and inline between the blower motor and switch. Can anyone confirm this? Cause I'd like to know for sure too.

The door not shutting. I agree with cleaning the latch box on it. Mine was all crusted up and was not working well until I cleaned it and used white lithium grease. Works like brand new now.

Last edited by yarddogg77 : 03-02-2011 at 02:11 PM.

jcmower2

re: 85 D150 - Posted: 03-26-2011, 11:02 AM
City: Joplin
State: MO
Post #14

I've got one just like it. I drive it 40 miles every day round trip to work. I augmented the manual fuel pump with a low pressure electric and put in a pressure regulator. I put in a 3" single exhaust from the manifolds back. I kept the stock manifolds, removed the A.I.R. tubes and sealed the holes. I also rebuilt the Holly 2bbl. Everything else is stock. I do need to do the steering coupler but it is not serious yet. I really love this truck. The bigger exhaust really helped with low end torque and it sounds cool to It starts every time even in very cold weather, takes little warm up time and gives reasonable mpg's. (reasonable is about 14) Take care of it and it will take care of you. My next project after the coupler will be a switch to HEI and possibly a switch to 4bbl.

1985 D150 SE Royal 2WD Prospector LB
318T 2V 727 3spd Auto
Custom Single 3" Exhaust, Electric Fuel Pump,
Eddy Fuel Pressure Regulator, Aluminum Bull Guard.
Daily Driver.

82ram150

Posted: 03-26-2011, 04:23 PM
Yeah its gota slant six\6
City: Gresham
State: OR
View This User's Garage
Post #15

Hey just my 2 cents on the heater. Check your heater box!! Mine blew fine but it had a musty smell i cut open the heater box and it was crammed full of 29 years worth of leaves, pine needles, the little helicopter seed things, insulation, dirt, you name it.
This is what it looked like

I just took my dremel and a small cut off wheel and cut out a piece i actually made it a little bigger after the pic. Then after i cleaned it out. used a piece of sheet metal and some screws and covered it up and painted it to match.

CAUTION: DO NOT DO THE ABOVE IF YOU WANT TO KEEP THE FACTORY LOOK.

I take no reponsibility for what you do to your heater box.

If you want to do it the other way take the whole box out and take the top off. Which may involve removal of the dash. Good Luck!

Prerunner Ram project

82 Dodge D150 custom. LWB Sl6 4spd.

Engine Mods: K&N air filter, Factory cai., custom 2bbl intake and carter bbd, Dutra dual split exhaust manifolds 2" head pipses to Y into 2.5" exhaust then dual 2.5"tails straight piped, hei ignition, blast 2 coil, dual electric fans

Exterior mods:Half black. Exterior lights tinted. aftermarket projectors and head light relays, fog lights on brush gaurd, 7" Pilot offroad lights, reverse lights on bumper. diamond plate box, on board air stystem, brush gaurd. Dual batteries, FIRETRUCK HORNS

Interior mods: a/c vents yellow, door panels black, bed lined floor, cobra cb, carpet insulation and autozone carpet.

Sony stereo with 2 tweeters 2 mids and 2 kicker 3 way speakers, pyramid 1800 watt amp (my dad gave it to me for free) suround sound sub and sony xplode 10" sub in middle of seat. white gauage faces. Autometer Tach. Equues water oil and vac/boost gauges, Custome mossy oak center console around shifter. rebent shifter. led strips under dash, overhead shelf

Don't TOUCH My Truck club member #95

Manual trans club member #225

coastermeister

Posted: 03-26-2011, 04:25 PM
Post #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rat rod dodge View Post
2. fan for heater barely blows. i put in a new motor' still the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarddogg77 View Post
Heater fan. I still have the same trouble. I've replaced the switch and motor, still blows weak. I'm suspecting the resistor now, it's the only thing I haven't replaced. I believe it's mounted on top of the duct and inline between the blower motor and switch. Can anyone confirm this? Cause I'd like to know for sure too.
The blower resistor only comes into play with blower speeds less than high. On the high setting the blower is getting full 12 volts. The resistor acts as a voltage divider and reduces the voltage to the motor on medium and low. The resistor is mounted inside the air plenum near the blower fan cage and requires air from the fan for cooling otherwise it burns out. You could pull the power connection at the motor and carefully jumper power and ground directly from the battery to the motor which should give you full speed. You could have a bad switch or a poor ground connection. Could also be clogged per the post above. I just cut away a few of the louvers on the return grate to be able to get a small shop vac nozzle inside to suck out the crud.

rat rod dodge

Cool thanks for the help - Posted: 03-26-2011, 10:45 PM
Post #17

thanks for the help everyone.
i'll use this info and more on my
new toy: '83 dodge ram d-150
custom. $500 at a pawn shop,
thought i'd use as a parts truck,
but its in better shape than my '85
it doesn't smoke or an oil leak, doors
shut. so far all that needs fixing
are u-joints, carb air leaks (had
no breather on it. got cheap after
market for now) new tires. my
only ? is did they change bolt
paterns on the wheels between
83 & 85? tried to switch out &
83 is smaller. what wheel patern
is the 83?

rat rod dodge

Cool thanks for the help - Posted: 03-26-2011, 10:54 PM
Post #18

thanks for the help everyone.
i'll use this info and more on my
new toy: '83 dodge ram d-150
custom. $500 at a pawn shop,
thought i'd use as a parts truck,
but its in better shape than my '85
it doesn't smoke or an oil leak, doors
shut. so far all that needs fixing
are u-joints, carb air leaks (had
no breather on it. got cheap after
market for now) new tires. my
only ? is did they change bolt
paterns on the wheels between
83 & 85? tried to switch out &
83 is smaller. what wheel patern
is the 83?

volaredon

Posted: 03-26-2011, 10:59 PM
older trucks ARE better!
Post #19

what are you gonna do w/ the 85 now?
Yeah they switched bolt patterns 85 was the 1st yr for the larger bolt pattren, 5 on 5-1/2; the 83 will be 5 on 4-1/2 if a 1/2 ton same as any RWD Mopar car or Ford RWD car (though Ford rim center holes where they go on the hub are smaller than Dodge)

rat rod dodge

Posted: 03-26-2011, 11:26 PM
Post #20

my brothers church needed a truck
so i sold it to him for $300 to fix
it up & use. also when i went to
buy u-joints for the 83, they asked
is it 2 joint or 3 joint, i don't know
the difference, unless they mean
a carier bearing
Closed Thread