04 Durango 5.7L Chatter - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Durango 2nd Gen (04 - 09) Forums > 2G Dodge Durango - Drivetrain Talk

Closed Thread

USAFCharger

Question 04 Durango 5.7L Chatter - Posted: 01-13-2011, 03:55 PM
State: NC
Post #1

My wife got in her truck one mornign last month to go to work. She came in telling me it wouldn't start. It was cold and the truck hadn't been run all weekend. I figured it was the battery at first. Went to check for myself, and the starter was was attempting to turn the engine over. Tried it a couple more times and the engine finally turned over and started, but the engine had a wicked chatter that increased as the engine RPM increased. I checked the oil and it was a quart or so low. I figured the chatter would go way when the engine warmed up and the oil circulated a bit but no such luck. I got the oil changed. That didn't really help either.
I decided this wasn't a problem i could tackle. Took it to a local shop a friend said was reliable. After keeping for a whole month the only thing they found was a broken #6 valve spring. i had them replace it. The engine still has audible ticking/chatter that increases with the RPM of the engine. The mechanic said any further repair would require pulling the entire engine, and tearing it down to the block. Looking for anyone who possibly has had any similar experiences. I'm going to the Dodge dealership in Greenville,NC on Friday for a second opinion.

I have video where you can hear the noise, but can't post the url since i'm new here. You can see it on youtube Batbeard's channel.

Last edited by USAFCharger : 01-13-2011 at 04:01 PM.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge4L1fe

Posted: 01-13-2011, 04:05 PM
Administrator
City: Downingtown
State: PA
View This User's Gallery
Post #2

Here's the video:

Wish I could help you out, but I haven't had any experience with any Hemi engine problems. Hopefully others will chime in for you.

2012 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic 6-Speed STP - 15% tint, Weathertech floorliners
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi - Lowered, Headers, Ram 20s, 91 Octane tune, and more (Gone)

New Here? Introduce yourself hereSupport Our SponsorsForum RulesDodgeTalk Facebook PageWhere are you from and driving?

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Dodge4L1fe

Posted: 01-13-2011, 04:14 PM
Administrator
View This User's Gallery
Post #3

How many miles are on the engine?

2012 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic 6-Speed STP - 15% tint, Weathertech floorliners
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi - Lowered, Headers, Ram 20s, 91 Octane tune, and more (Gone)

New Here? Introduce yourself hereSupport Our SponsorsForum RulesDodgeTalk Facebook PageWhere are you from and driving?

USAFCharger

Posted: 01-13-2011, 04:23 PM
Post #4

just under 122K

Dodge4L1fe

Posted: 01-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Administrator
View This User's Gallery
Post #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFCharger View Post
just under 122K
Man you sure got your use out of that engine. A lot of people have had this happen before hitting 100K.

The valve spring tick ("Hemi tick") plaques many of the early 2nd Generation Durango vehicles. Those who have thrown a rod or broke a valve spring have either gone through the repairs or replaced the engine with a different hemi.

Did that first mechanic who said the engine would have to be pulled give you any kind of quote?

USAFCharger

Posted: 01-13-2011, 04:32 PM
Post #6

Nah I was fed up with the customer service of that particular shop. There was a big lack of communication, they had the truck for over a month and never notified me of anything going on with it, I always had to call or go to the shop myself.

Dodge4L1fe

Posted: 01-13-2011, 04:35 PM
Administrator
View This User's Gallery
Post #7

Was the valve replaced before or after that video was shot?

This is just a guess, but maybe there's a broken rod in there? I really don't know...

USAFCharger

Posted: 01-13-2011, 04:51 PM
Post #8

The vid was made after the spring was replaced. I'm hoping the dealership can tell me something about it tomorrow.

Dodge4L1fe

Posted: 01-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Administrator
View This User's Gallery
Post #9

To me it sounds like a broken rod, but the only way to know is to pull the valve covers off.

MJB8

Posted: 01-13-2011, 07:19 PM
State: RI
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #10

A motor will not ever run with a broken rod. Rod knock from a worn wrist pin is a lower pitched sound. Worn crank bearings are more of a thump.

That sounds like lifter clatter. you may have a flat cam lobe. Some where in there is alot of excess clearance. I didnt see you said the oil light was on but you may have very low oil pressure.

Good luck,

Final answer valve train problem.

2008 SRT Prototype Under Construction
Dodgetalk.com 287 Enthusiast Member # 289
K&N CAI, ,Summer Polished OEM SRT 22" Wheels , Yokahama 305/40/22 Parada Spec X, Winter Durango 20" 265/50/20 Yokahama Parada Spec X VVME HID's 5000k Heads & Fogs, Mobile 1... Bilsteins, 15% Tint. FlowMaster Cat Back, American Thunder Exhaust.
Dropped a bit, more to come.

"Take a Kid Fishing"

Don Fox

Posted: 01-15-2011, 10:56 PM
Post #11

USAF:

In any case, you need to get this checked out ASAP!!!!!! The valve springs on the early Hemi engines were problematic. You may have another damaged spring ready to collapse at any moment dropping a valve into the motor and destroying it!!!!!

If if were me, I would at minimum replace all valve springs and evaluate the valve train for other damage.

Possibly it may be more economical to just replace the engine. Good luck with this. Please keep us posted.

Don

05 Linen Gold Pearl Grand Caravan SXT
w/3.8L (hers) since 09/30/06

MileHighRango

Posted: 01-17-2011, 11:14 AM
City: CO
State: CO
View This User's Gallery
Post #12

Sounds like it might be a horrible case of the "Hemi Tick". Check all the exhaust bolts and studs and see if you can see anything missing. If so that might be the cause of the sound.

2004 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7-SOLD
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Big Horn Hemi

Sig pic by: BMRbrnSNRbrd

PDFrogman

Posted: 01-17-2011, 03:23 PM
State: NJ
Post #13

same noise after a start up this is the result #7 rod
198K synthetic oil changed every 6K
rod came through the block
replaced the motor should have the truck back later this week
Attached Images
File Type: jpg broken rod.jpg (61.7 KB, 5 views)

Dodge4L1fe

Posted: 01-17-2011, 05:17 PM
Administrator
View This User's Gallery
Post #14

Holy cow!

Don Fox

Posted: 01-18-2011, 12:09 PM
Post #15

Mile High:

To me that sound is quite a bit more than just a "tick" To me, the tick would sound more like an exhaust leak which both the 4.7 and 5.7 engines are known for.

My assessment of Frogman's picture is that the piston hit something which stopped it, and being the weaker of the two pieces the rod then twisted and shattered/broke.

If you think about it, having fluid in the cylinder ie antifreeze or water would do it. Is in my case, the valve spring collapsing and allowing the valve to drop into the cylinder could also cause it.

MJB8: An engine sure can run with one and more broken rods, it just won't run right or very smooth!

As along as one or two cylinders will fire properly, and there is no physical obstruction to stop the crank from rotating, it will run.

Don

05 Linen Gold Pearl Grand Caravan SXT
w/3.8L (hers) since 09/30/06

KC_Metal

Posted: 01-18-2011, 12:58 PM
Mopar Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
City: Green Bay
State: WI
Post #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFCharger View Post
My wife got in her truck one mornign last month to go to work. She came in telling me it wouldn't start. It was cold and the truck hadn't been run all weekend. I figured it was the battery at first. Went to check for myself, and the starter was was attempting to turn the engine over. Tried it a couple more times and the engine finally turned over and started, but the engine had a wicked chatter that increased as the engine RPM increased. I checked the oil and it was a quart or so low. I figured the chatter would go way when the engine warmed up and the oil circulated a bit but no such luck. I got the oil changed. That didn't really help either.
I decided this wasn't a problem i could tackle. Took it to a local shop a friend said was reliable. After keeping for a whole month the only thing they found was a broken #6 valve spring. i had them replace it. The engine still has audible ticking/chatter that increases with the RPM of the engine. The mechanic said any further repair would require pulling the entire engine, and tearing it down to the block. Looking for anyone who possibly has had any similar experiences. I'm going to the Dodge dealership in Greenville,NC on Friday for a second opinion.

I have video where you can hear the noise, but can't post the url since i'm new here. You can see it on youtube Batbeard's channel.
Dude! You are so damn lucky you didn't drop a valve. If you pull the engine apart put in 6.1L valve springs. You are not the first to have a valve spring fail in a Hemi. You might be able to pressurize the cylinders and replace the valve spring without pulling the heads.

2006 Chrysler 300 HEMI C 5.7L V8: (Summer Car)
- Hurst Comp stick kit & badge, Windows Tinted 15%.

2010 Avalanche LT 5.3L V8: (Wife's Truck)
- Windows Tinted 15%, 8 Bar 20's from California

2008 Chrysler 300 AWD Touring 3.5L V6: (Winter Car)
- Hurst Comp stick kit & badge, Windows Tinted 15% (soon)

Fu*k Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi, Lexus and all that other Jap crap!

KC_Metal

Posted: 01-18-2011, 01:01 PM
Post #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDFrogman View Post
same noise after a start up this is the result #7 rod
198K synthetic oil changed every 6K
rod came through the block
replaced the motor should have the truck back later this week
SOB!!! That's a nice broken piston rod.

KC_Metal

Posted: 01-18-2011, 01:02 PM
Post #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fox View Post
Mile High:

To me that sound is quite a bit more than just a "tick" To me, the tick would sound more like an exhaust leak which both the 4.7 and 5.7 engines are known for.

My assessment of Frogman's picture is that the piston hit something which stopped it, and being the weaker of the two pieces the rod then twisted and shattered/broke.

If you think about it, having fluid in the cylinder ie antifreeze or water would do it. Is in my case, the valve spring collapsing and allowing the valve to drop into the cylinder could also cause it.

MJB8: An engine sure can run with one and more broken rods, it just won't run right or very smooth!

As along as one or two cylinders will fire properly, and there is no physical obstruction to stop the crank from rotating, it will run.

Don
I have the exhaust leak tick and alot of Hemi's have it. Broken manifold bolts are very common FYI.

MJB8

Posted: 01-18-2011, 01:20 PM
State: RI
Post #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fox View Post
Mile High:

Don
"Broken rods and no physical obstruction" is a very rare occurnace. The motor will still run when a rod comes through the block as well but not to often.

2008 SRT Prototype Under Construction
Dodgetalk.com 287 Enthusiast Member # 289
K&N CAI, ,Summer Polished OEM SRT 22" Wheels , Yokahama 305/40/22 Parada Spec X, Winter Durango 20" 265/50/20 Yokahama Parada Spec X VVME HID's 5000k Heads & Fogs, Mobile 1... Bilsteins, 15% Tint. FlowMaster Cat Back, American Thunder Exhaust.
Dropped a bit, more to come.

"Take a Kid Fishing"

KC_Metal

Posted: 01-18-2011, 01:23 PM
Post #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB8 View Post
"Broken rods and no physical obstruction" is a very rare occurnace. The motor will still run when a rod comes through the block as well but not to often.
That's nasty $hit!

Closed Thread