What power steering fluid type - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP DODGETALK MERCHANDISE ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Durango 2nd Gen (04 - 09) Forums > 2G Dodge Durango - Tire/Wheel/Susp Talk

Closed Thread

Moose016

What power steering fluid type - Posted: 01-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Post #1

I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I was unable to find it searching. I'd like to change out my power steering fluid (probably using the turkey baster method) and I was wondering whether a 99 Durango can simply use the standard power steering fluid from an auto parts store or whether it needs Mopar fluid with a certain certification? I was told 2 different things by the same dealership so I wanted to get the board's take.

Thanks
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Captain Tuttle

Posted: 01-11-2011, 11:42 PM
City: Riegelsville
State: PA
Post #2

I use the Mopar equivalent from autonparts store. It'll say for "Mopar" or "Chrysler" vehicles on the label.

For my '05, I believe ATF = power steering fluid.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

screwballl

Posted: 01-12-2011, 01:19 PM
2nd04Durango
City: Sandy South
State: FL
Post #3

All power steering fluid needs to pass federal specifications so therefore should all be the same. The Durango manual states
Quote:
Mopar ATF+4, Automatic Transmission Fluid.

rangoneer

Posted: 02-14-2011, 11:06 PM
Power Aficionado
State: IA
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
View This User's Timeslip
Post #4

For the later model Durangos ATF+4 is the power steering fluid, but on a 99 I don't think you can use transmission fluid. I think specific power steering fluid is required. O'reilly's Auto, or even a call to your dealership can confirm. Good luck.

I NEED MORE POWER!! ...and to lose some weight!
Closed Thread