Front heater fan not working any speeds - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Vehicle Forums > Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan Talk

Closed Thread

waldreps

Front heater fan not working any speeds - Posted: 01-07-2011, 04:08 PM
Post #1

I am helping a friend with her 2002 Dodge Caravan. The heater/blower fan in the front has quit working on all speeds. It does not have the automatic climate control. I know that when you lose all speeds except high it means you need to replace the blower motor resistor. What should I look for if it doesn't even work on high? Could the blower motor resistor still be the problem or is it something else? Thanks for any help.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

mfahey

Posted: 01-07-2011, 04:17 PM
City: Morris, Illinois
Post #2

When this happened to mine, the motor itself was bad. Do some searching on this site for a tip on replacing the motor. If you do it by the book, it's a tough job because you have to disconnect the dash and roll it to the rear just to get at one lousy screw by the firewall. I forget who posted an easier way but it got you away from disconnecting the dash.

no_common_sense

Posted: 01-08-2011, 01:22 AM
Chronic BS'er
State: WI
Post #3

Before you assume the motor is bad, check the basics. Is the power button on? Some caravans have a power button for the heater console and I have had drivers at work overlook this so I have to mention it. Next, if you have a test light, just check for power at the pigtail for the blower motor. If the test light shines, you have power to the motor but your motor is likely to be bad. Check the pigtail and wire from the blower motor. If you have verified the blower IS bad, there is one particular screw at the back of the motor housing that is very difficult to remove. What we've done to avoid some headache is to remove the passenger side seat so you can lay down on the job. Pull down the carpet going up behind the blower housing and cut out the insulation enough to access that one particular screw without removing the whole dash. We never reinstall the screw and everything functions fine. There is a blend door in the housing. I keep forgetting this part, but I'm pretty sure that door is self aligning so you shouldn't have to worry about it floppping on disassembly.

Last edited by no_common_sense : 01-10-2011 at 11:50 PM.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

waldreps

Posted: 01-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Post #4

Here's what I did to try to figure out why the front fan isn't blowing. I started the vehicle and turned on the climate control system using the power button. I turned the front fan to high and of course nothing happened. I unplugged both plugs from the blower motor resister and probed all kinds of combinations of wires in the plugs but didn't find 12v power anywhere. Can anybody tell me which wires on which of the two plugs to check? I'm pretty sure I should be getting 12v from some combination of those. Please help.

mfahey

Posted: 01-10-2011, 05:30 AM
Post #5

According to what I can see, fuse 10 protects the output of the fan relay to the resistor assembly. Check that fuse first. The feed from the relay comes into the resistor on pin 4. If the fuse is good but you still aren't getting power, check the relay next which in turn gets its signal from the front control module.
Good luck.

Fredge

Posted: 01-10-2011, 06:58 PM
State: ON
Post #6

I had to replace my motor and resister, but check the resister first. I would agree the housing is hard to get off. If your careful, you can snap the plastic off cleanly around that last screw.

waldreps

Posted: 01-11-2011, 12:19 AM
Post #7

Where is the relay located for the front fan?

mfahey

Posted: 01-11-2011, 04:59 AM
Post #8

It's in the IPM by the battery.
Closed Thread