Code PO138, damn O2 sensor, how to change - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

V2Rider

Code PO138, damn O2 sensor, how to change - Posted: 01-01-2011, 12:29 PM
State: MN
View This User's Gallery
Post #1

Its the driver side after the CAT sensor, after doing a search on here. My CEL came on today, but for hours of driving, so engine symptoms or anything. Got home, hooked up my Hypertech programmer, and it gave me the PO138 code. I searched here and found out what it is, but need to know if I can change it, or if a dealer will need to. I am mechanically good, just never changed an O2 sensor on a Ram. I know it probably wont hurt much, except may want to run a little rich, if I clear the code, but want to fix it. Any help, or walk through appreciated. Thanks.
BASIC-2003 Dodge Ram QC 2500HD 4X4 Hemi Laramie, Leather, Power/Heated EVERYTHING, Remote Start, Homelink Overhead Console, Prodigy Trailer Brake Controller, 295/70/17 Trail Grapplers on Double Pump wheels

PERFORMANCE-SC3815 Programmer 91 performance tune, FastMan Ported ThrottleBody, Sonnax Line Booster, Magnaflow Dual Exhaust, 180* T-Stat, K&N CAI, AirRam Jet Stream Scoop, BlackMagic Efan 183, 6.1 Springs, Taylor 8.2 Thundervolt Plug Wires, Herko Performance Coils, Powerwire, DC 180 Alternator, 4.56 Gears, Dynamic Grounding Kit, K&N Crankcase Breather
ON THE WAY: Cam, Diff covers, deep tranny pan, 6.1 oil pump

SUSPENSION-2" lift front 1 1/2" add a leaf rear, ProComp ES9000 Nitro shocks, XRF Ball Joints, 09 Steering Upgrade, Skyjacker HD Steering Stabalizer, MAXX Leveled Swaybar Links, Spicer Triple Seal Axle U Joints, BruteForce HD Driveshaft U Joints

COSMETIC/PROTECTION- LineX Spray on bed liner, Mopar Door Edge Guards, Underside coated in Black Rustoleum, Transfer Case Skid Plate, Tonneu cover, Chrome Bed Rails, Chrome Step Nerftubes, HEMI Hitch Plug, Hood Spears
ON THE WAY: Front tinted windows, smoked headlights/tail lights, 3rd light, Xpel Rocker panel protector

INTERIOR- Weathertech Digital front and rear mats, Custom Paint job, Efan manual switch, GX65 Blue Radar Detector Hardwired, Hidden 45cal Pistol Holster
ON THE WAY: Navigation Radio, Professional interior detail with leather restore

AMSOIL
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GreatWhiteNorth

Posted: 01-01-2011, 12:35 PM
City: Winnipeg
State: MB
Post #2

It's as easy as changing plugs. I think it's a 22mm wrench to remove it from the bung, and the electrical end is just a plug.
Performance Mods: Flex-a-lite 180 e-fan, Magnaflow cat back kit, Powerwire, Yukon 4.56s, Ported Heads, SCT Tuned by HemiFever, 70MM TB from Stampede4.7, Magnaflow Y-pipe, Paxton Novi 2000 Super Charger, 206 Cams
Appearance Mods: T-Bar crank, Cooper Discoverer S/T 265/70/17, Debadged, Color matched handles and mirrors
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

V2Rider

Posted: 01-01-2011, 12:38 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #3

Ok thanks, everything is closed today, so I will have to wait. I just won't drive it right now. Is it something I should be able to get at just crawling under the truck, or do I need to lift it up?
BASIC-2003 Dodge Ram QC 2500HD 4X4 Hemi Laramie, Leather, Power/Heated EVERYTHING, Remote Start, Homelink Overhead Console, Prodigy Trailer Brake Controller, 295/70/17 Trail Grapplers on Double Pump wheels

PERFORMANCE-SC3815 Programmer 91 performance tune, FastMan Ported ThrottleBody, Sonnax Line Booster, Magnaflow Dual Exhaust, 180* T-Stat, K&N CAI, AirRam Jet Stream Scoop, BlackMagic Efan 183, 6.1 Springs, Taylor 8.2 Thundervolt Plug Wires, Herko Performance Coils, Powerwire, DC 180 Alternator, 4.56 Gears, Dynamic Grounding Kit, K&N Crankcase Breather

SUSPENSION-2" lift front 1 1/2" add a leaf rear, ProComp ES9000 Nitro shocks, XRF Ball Joints, 09 Steering Upgrade, Skyjacker HD Steering Stabalizer, MAXX Leveled Swaybar Links, Spicer Triple Seal Axle U Joints, BruteForce HD Driveshaft U Joints

COSMETIC/PROTECTION- LineX Spray on bed liner, Mopar Door Edge Guards, Underside coated in Black Rustoleum, Transfer Case Skid Plate, Tonneu cover, Chrome Bed Rails, Chrome Step Nerftubes, HEMI Hitch Plug, Hood Spears
ON THE WAY: Front tinted windows, smoked headlights/tail lights, 3rd light, Xpel Rocker panel protector

INTERIOR- Weathertech Digital front and rear mats, Custom Paint job, Efan manual switch, GX65 Blue Radar Detector Hardwired, Hidden 45cal Pistol Holster

AMSOIL

silverhemidan

Posted: 01-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Silverhemidan
City: Harrison Twp.
State: MI
View This User's Gallery
Post #4

I would try taking it out and cleaning it 1st,the electrical side too. and then clear the code and see if it comes back on.
I just had the same problem,cleaned it and so far I'm good.

PS:I did not have to raise my vehicle..

from a manual

The Oxygen Sensors (O2S) are attached to, and protrude into the vehicle exhaust system. Depending on the
engine or emission package, the vehicle may use a total of either 2 or 4 sensors.
Federal Emission Packages : Two sensors are used: upstream (referred to as 1/1) and downstream (referred to as
1/2). With this emission package, the upstream sensor (1/1) is located just before the main catalytic convertor. The
downstream sensor (1/2) is located just after the main catalytic convertor.
California Emission Packages: On this emissions package, 4 sensors are used: 2 upstream (referred to as 1/1
and 2/1) and 2 downstream (referred to as 1/2 and 2/2). With this emission package, the right upstream sensor (2/1)
is located in the right exhaust downpipe just before the mini-catalytic convertor. The left upstream sensor (1/1) is
located in the left exhaust downpipe just before the mini-catalytic convertor. The right downstream sensor (2/2) is
located in the right exhaust downpipe just after the mini-catalytic convertor, and before the main catalytic convertor.
The left downstream sensor (1/2) is located in the left exhaust downpipe just after the mini-catalytic convertor, and
before the main catalytic convertor.
REMOVAL
CAUTION: Never apply any type of grease to the oxygen sensor electrical connector, or attempt any soldering
of the sensor wiring harness.
WARNING: THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD, EXHAUST PIPES AND CATALYTIC CONVERTER BECOME VERY HOT
DURING ENGINE OPERATION. ALLOW ENGINE TO COOL BEFORE REMOVING OXYGEN SENSOR.
1. Raise and support vehicle.
2. Disconnect wire connector from O2S sensor.
CAUTION: When disconnecting sensor electrical
connector, do not pull directly on wire going into
sensor.
3. Remove O2S sensor with an oxygen sensor
removal and installation tool.
4. Clean threads in exhaust pipe using appropriate
tap.
INSTALLATION
Threads of new oxygen sensors are factory coated
with anti-seize compound to aid in removal. DO NOT
add any additional anti-seize compound to threads
of a new oxygen sensor.
1. Install O2S sensor. Tighten to 30 Nm (22 ft. lbs.)
torque.
2. Connect O2S sensor wire connector.
3. Lower vehicle.

Silver Truck Club Member#127

2004 2500 Hemi - Off-Road Pkg.w/4.56's
6" Lift PP Long Arms/Coils/Bilstein 5160's/ Dynatrac free spin hubs/Dynaloc hubs/spicer axle ujoints,
Carli Ball Joints/Carli deaver 4" leaf springs/Thuren Shackles/Carli Long Travel Air Bags
37x12.5x17 Cooper STT's/XD Enduros
n-fab step bars with Line-X
MagnaFlow (#14329)/Superchips
20% tinted windows Don Thuren steering stabilizer True Flow CAI
Tonneau cover/Husky liners/4-channel Amp/
Rockford sub/ Panasonic HU/kenwood speakers Hella 500's behind grill/Wheel Liners/Bushwacker Pocket style flares/Aeroforce Interceptor/BD Steering Box Stabilizer/steering upgrade,Carli Trackbar/ retrofit projectors,infiniti FX35 projectors,shaved,black matte paint,6k,from Unique Coatings.

V2Rider

Posted: 01-01-2011, 12:43 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #5

So I need a special tool for this? Damn, I almost thought I was going to just go take it out and clean it.

AMSOIL

silverhemidan

Posted: 01-01-2011, 12:48 PM
Silverhemidan
City: Harrison Twp.
State: MI
View This User's Gallery
Post #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2Rider View Post
So I need a special tool for this? Damn, I almost thought I was going to just go take it out and clean it.
No,you might be able to get it with a wrench,I was able too.
I don't remember what size it was.

the sensors after the cat are the easier ones.Atleast on my truck

Silver Truck Club Member#127

2004 2500 Hemi - Off-Road Pkg.w/4.56's
6" Lift PP Long Arms/Coils/Bilstein 5160's/ Dynatrac free spin hubs/Dynaloc hubs/spicer axle ujoints,
Carli Ball Joints/Carli deaver 4" leaf springs/Thuren Shackles/Carli Long Travel Air Bags
37x12.5x17 Cooper STT's/XD Enduros
n-fab step bars with Line-X
MagnaFlow (#14329)/Superchips
20% tinted windows Don Thuren steering stabilizer True Flow CAI
Tonneau cover/Husky liners/4-channel Amp/
Rockford sub/ Panasonic HU/kenwood speakers Hella 500's behind grill/Wheel Liners/Bushwacker Pocket style flares/Aeroforce Interceptor/BD Steering Box Stabilizer/steering upgrade,Carli Trackbar/ retrofit projectors,infiniti FX35 projectors,shaved,black matte paint,6k,from Unique Coatings.

Closed Thread