Howling Noise From Rear End - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - Drivetrain Talk

Closed Thread

Raminator157

Question Howling Noise From Rear End - Posted: 12-26-2010, 01:04 PM
Elite Ram
City: Essex, VT
State: VT
View This User's Gallery
Post #1

Hey Guys,

I have a 2005 Ram 1500 Hemi

When its cold out, when I first put my truck in reverse it makes a howling noise from the rear end. I checked my rotors and brakes, they are fine. Just had them replaced couple years ago. I also had a rear U joint replaced 3 years ago. When I put the truck in drive it does not make the noise, only when I am driving in reverse when its cold. What else can I check before taking it to the stealership? Only other change I made was, I put a super chips Mileage tune on the truck.
Advertisement

okdokhemi

Posted: 12-26-2010, 01:50 PM
okdokhemi
City: Oklahoma
State: OK
Post #2

My 07 qc did that. It was more of a groan than a howl. It was the aluminum drive shaft torquing up. This same truck had the rear diff. rebuilt and replaced 3 times. Also new u-joints. None of this had any effect on the groan when shifting into reverse. New driveshaft, noise gone.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Raminator157

Posted: 12-26-2010, 01:57 PM
Elite Ram
View This User's Gallery
Post #3

If it is my drive shaft, should be covered under warranty for me. I have the 7 year 70,000 power train warranty.

TwinStick

Posted: 12-26-2010, 11:58 PM
Post #4

It is either the U-joints or the driveshaft or the diff. Check the fluid level just to be sure. My money says it is a u-joint. I have had them go bad in 18,000 miles with NO off-roading at all, in my 04' 2500.
PurpleCrainium Diff Guards
K&N air filter --- WeatherGuard 20" black bed toolbox.
winch TPC bypass
Dual battery set up w/2 Sears DieHard Platinums-Gp 65 under hood-Gp 31 Marine deep cycle in bed toolbox w/plug-n-play set up. Custom 2000/4000w inverter set up w/quick connect. Triple bike mounts above the bed- custom made by me.
Crapload of recovery gear-always subject to adding more.
Fab Four rear bumper. Soon to be- a BuckStop Baja front bumper.--Temporarily on hold, see reason below.
Installed: Borgeson #000951 steering shaft. PSC steering brace(notched for PW by Rusty-thanks bud). Carli HD CroMo adjustable track bar. Carli CroMo control arms. Carli HD upper & lower balljoints x 2 sets (replaced under warrenty) & triple sealed u-joints in front axle shafts & rear driveshaft. Moog HD tierod ends x 4. Running total is now $4800. Yup, now i'm broke !!!

What, you ask, is the difference between a Dodge Ram and a PowerWagon ?? PW frame part # 55398868AC---Reg 2500 #55398813AC
About 2" taller, 12,000lb winch w/mounting brace between framerails,electronic disconnecting swaybar(for awsome articulation),electronic locking axles front & rear(for true 4-wheel drive),tow pkg, fully skidplated,forged one piece Alcoa rims w/internal beadlock lips,larger diameter(one ton) axleshaft in rear,160 amp alt,HD battery,4.56 gears,low range electronic recalibration of gas pedal sensitivity,more but thinner leafs in rear spring pack(for better articulation), 33" BFG All-Terrain tires. 78.016:1 crawl ratio. All for $6100.00 more! Oh yeah, almost forgot-Bilstein shocks. Gear ratios: 1st 6.29:1 2nd 3.48:1 3rd 2.10:1 4th 1.38:1 5th 1.0:1 6th .79:1.. Rev 5.74:1.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Raminator157

Posted: 01-05-2011, 08:38 AM
Elite Ram
View This User's Gallery
Post #5

So my truck was at the dealer last week. They found no issues with anything. I had them change the rear dif fluid. They told me the only way they could tell is if they took the rear end apart and did the dif fluid. Since they found no issues, costed me a total of 200 bucks for an oil change and the rear dif service. Truck did the noise again.

weedahoe

Posted: 01-05-2011, 10:10 AM
Tricked out Ram
City: Albany
State: GA
Post #6

Pinion bearing shot?
2004 2wd Dodge Ram QC w/a 5.7 with Royal Purple 5w-20 in the motor, RP Max ATF in the trans, 80-90w in the 4.56 Auburn LSD rolling on American Racing Dale Earnhart "Tank" 24s wrapped in Pirelli 325/45/24s (36" tires)

| Debadged | SRT-10 hood | Custom CAI | Fumoto oil valve | 12" of lift | Power Wire | 9007 Bi-Xenon 6k | 9006 Single Beam 6K | 2nd battery tray (2K CCA total) | Big 3 upgrade w/1ga wire | Altezza clear tails w/LEDs | Clear LED 3rd light | 26gal to 35gal fuel tank swap | Viair 380c air compressor | train horns | Ceramic pads (F&R) | Westin Nerfs | Chrome door/tailgate handles | Custom switch panel | Custom center console | B&M QuickSilver floor shifer | Xbox 360 | Audiobahn A8000V (1600w sub amp) | Audiobahn 2002V (400w mid/high amp) | 2 12" Kicker DVC CVRs in a FoxBox | 4 Kicker DS650s (front & rears) | 2 Kicker KS350s (dash) | 2 8" LCD screens in the sunvisors | 2 6" LCD screens in the headrest | Clifford 50.7x alarm | 20/15% tint | Diablo Trinity - custom and 93 tuned | Mopar 6.1 ignition conversion | Start ignition push button | KRC 210 cam | 6.1 springs & pushrods | 6.1 half covers | 180* T-stat | Taurus E-fan | Pacesetter ceramic LTs | dual DMH cutouts | (2) 4x14" round magnaflows | 4x24" tips | X pipe | Jimmy Jammers | Ported (85mm) TB | Innovate LC-1 wideband | Sonnax transmission pressure booster | Mopar slush mats | RBP grill | powder coated calipers | custom rim/grill lights |

Link to my gallery

Next projects:

- Custom center console
- B&M Quicksilver Floor shifter
- Custom CAI

blk03hemi

Posted: 01-05-2011, 10:49 AM
City: chicago
State: IL
View This User's Garage
Post #7

None of the above guys my 03 was doing the same thing for a while until I changed brakes and rotors but the reason it was makin that noise was because u need to grease the piss out of the caliper sliding pins in the rear with antizeize. It's been close to 2 years no howling hope this helps by moms 05 awd is doing the same and it only gots 30000 need to grease the pins. Also u might wanna change ur brake hardware cuz even with new brakes my brakes kept squeaking until I changed the beat up brake hardware

mlobitz

Posted: 01-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Fathead
City: Minneapolis
State: MN
Post #8

Funny, mine has been doing this lately... It doesn't happen for long, but if the truck has been sitting for any extended amount of time it does it when I first start backing up. Figured it was the brakes, but it's too damn cold to check them this time of year. I have 66k on my truck (assuming these are the original rears since I just bought it this summer). Are we confident it is the brakes? That what makes the most sense to me, but while I am handy I am no expert...

2004 Dodge Ram QC 4X4 Hemi

Marx

Posted: 01-05-2011, 02:09 PM
City: Ontario, Canada
State: ON
Post #9

my 05 does the same thing pretty sure its the parking brake because mine only started doing it after i adjusted the parking brakes when i put my new rotors. just to lazy to readjust them lol

05' 5.7L HEMI 1500, leveled, 35x12.50R18 Nitto Trail Grappler's on CR Black Iron Villian's, Blistein 5100's, K&N drop-in air filter, Magnaflow exhaust, Blue LED dash.

mlobitz

Posted: 01-07-2011, 07:29 AM
Fathead
Post #10

I don't really ever use my parking brake and mine still does it...

blk03hemi

Posted: 01-07-2011, 08:39 AM
City: chicago
State: IL
View This User's Garage
Post #11

Funny how I said my moms 05 awd is making that noise. I looked in the floor last night un the garage and thiers a small puddle of tranny fluid. The only thing I can think of is the seal in the tranny were the drive shaft meets. It's the one up front not the rear.

Raminator157

Posted: 01-09-2011, 10:21 AM
Elite Ram
View This User's Gallery
Post #12

So I brought my truck back to the dealer again. Let it sit there for 2 days. They could not get it to do the noise. They claimed they check everything. I am getting a little pissed. They said the rear rotors and brakes were checked. I also replaced my front rotors and pads because they were shot. But that had no affect on the noise.

Last edited by Raminator157 : 01-09-2011 at 10:31 AM.

dizzyD

Posted: 01-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Registered MOPAR User
City: 714
State: CA
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
View This User's Dyno Entries
Post #13

I feel for you, the dealer does very little to track down issues, my old 93 dakota, back in 1997 was in the dealer shop several time due to no starts, they couldnt believe the fuel pump was the issue. I basically had to go into their service area and show it to them.

1999 Durango SLT+ leather, 360ci 4x4, superchips 3865, tow pkg, 3.55 LSD, rear tail light guard, K&N CAI, FM 50MM TB, crystal clear headlights, Torsion/shackle lift, Rancho RSX's, Pacesetter headers, dual trans & oil temp a-pillar pod, chrome deep trans pan, drilled & slotted rotors, 10 disc cd changer.

2004 Ram 1500 SLT 2WD QC LB 345ci, FM 84MM TB, slotted brake rotors, step bar, diamond plate pedals, locking gas door, tow package w/ 3.55 lsd, Hellwig LP-15, shell and carpet kit, 18% door window tint, Magnaflow 12641, Slammed1's 3" spindle lift and 2.5 coil spacer, rear lift shackles, Airraid MIT, superchips 3815, 6K front winch & custom Winch Plate, Autometer phantom trans gauge mounted in Mopar SRT A-Pillar single pod, lumber/roof rack, Rancho 9000X shocks, ATS fender flairs, 1" BL, gap guards, black grille, silver painted bezel(soon 2b white)
Next: HD rear lift bags

Gone but not forgotten 93 CC dakota lifted 4x4 318

carlson101

Posted: 01-09-2011, 07:38 PM
City: El Reno, OK
State: OK
Post #14

Quote:
None of the above guys my 03 was doing the same thing for a while until I changed brakes and rotors but the reason it was makin that noise was because u need to grease the piss out of the caliper sliding pins in the rear with antizeize. It's been close to 2 years no howling hope this helps by moms 05 awd is doing the same and it only gots 30000 need to grease the pins. Also u might wanna change ur brake hardware cuz even with new brakes my brakes kept squeaking until I changed the beat up brake hardware
My 03 was going the same thing about 3yrs ago. That's what I found too. The calipers were not releasing all the way. I greased the pins and replaced the pads (glazed over riding on the rotor and began to squeal) since then I haven't had the problem again. I hope it's as simple of a fix as mine was. that was at about 80K and now I have 201K and it's still going strong. (excluding the recent tranny swap)

2003 Ram 1500 quad cab 4x2
No mods. just like the day I bought it
other than the tinted windows and
bed cover. 201K miles on the clock
and nothing done other than a Tranny
replace today and alternator three years ago.

coloradosherpa

Posted: 01-23-2011, 02:59 AM
State: CO
Post #15

My 03 1500 4x4 makes the same noise. Anyone ever find out what it is for 100% sure? Should I worry about it? Thanks.

naztyram23

Posted: 01-23-2011, 09:11 AM
City: harker heights
State: TX
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
View This User's Timeslip
Post #16

My 02 does this as well. I'm suspecting it might be the C-clips broken in the diff. It only whines when making sharp turns and the trucks rear bounces when you first head down the road like the tires are not balanced, but then smooths out after a few miles. When i did my rear end on my 03 and changed it out with a detroit tru trac i found the c clips broken inside.

Current "MOD" List:

Headman shorty's/180 t-stat/Black magic E-fan/ 6.1 cam, springs and pushrods/456 gear/detroit tru tac locker/Nitrous outlet nano kit/FJO progressive window switch/stage three sharadon valve body/moes ported throttle body/hoosier slicks/cal-tracs/flowmaster 40 series/vararam/diablo sport tuner/ Morso Drag shocks/ Light bar with hella lights/ PML diff cover/LC-1 wide band/ DMH e-cutout

"MOD" to get:
Inertia motorsports p&p heads.

Pround Member of the United States Army

mlobitz

Posted: 01-24-2011, 08:20 AM
Fathead
Post #17

I'm thinking its more of a cold weather thing based on most of the posts and their locations. Your symptoms sound a little different than everyone else's. Also, the OP had his diff serviced, and they said the internals were fine...

Closed Thread