Can't fill tank with gas! - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

#1 Old 12-20-2010, 08:06 PM
jason13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Can't fill tank with gas!

I think I have exhausted my searching abilities looking to see if I could find an answer to this problem. Any input would help, I am stumped...

A few days ago I let the wife drive my truck to a training she had in the mountains and needed the 4x4 rather than the Charger (her normal car). Prior to leaving she filled my tank all the way up to full. She came home and I drove the truck around for a few days longer and needed to get some fuel. Here is where things start to get weird...

I get to the Shell Station I have been filling up at for years, (Fleet Card) and try to put gas into the tank. Immediately the pump kicks off as if the tank were full. I knew this was not the case, I mean after all it is a Hemi and loves to drink fuel... I tried a few more times. Once again as soon as the fuel would start to flow it would click right off. So I figured it was a pump problem. I move to a different pump and low and behold the same issue is happening. They guy comes out (noticed I was having issues) and asked me, "Are you sure it's not full?" Feeling like an idiot already I say that I was sure it wasn't full after a 250 mile trip. I got frustrated and ended up leaving with the few dollars I could get in the tank in about 10 minutes of trying.

So I take the truck home, do some research into this issue and found one other thread relating to the same issue. Only problem is that the guy said he used a pressure washer and thought he may have cleared a vent tube in the process. I don't want to spray water in any vent tubes at this point..

A day later, I go to a completely different gas station and sure enough.... Same problem. I spend about 20min letting gas trickle into the tank (got like 3 gallons in ten min). Got just enough gas in the tank to get where I needed to go and back.

So my question is: Can anyone direct me as to where to start on this one? I am fairly good with mechanics, done lifts on my own, small motor projects, etc... I would rather do this myself than take it somewhere for someone to "guess" as to what the problem is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jason

2006 Ram 2500
6" Suspension Lift
38x13.50x20 Toyos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-20-2010, 08:16 PM
darkness80

sounds like you got some gas in the vent tube....can easily happen if the tank gets over filled....not sure where the vent is on the rams but if you can track it down, you may be able to get the fluid out. should be an easy fix.

SOLD...2006 ram lone star, QC 4x4, flame red, painted stock 20's, painted grille,LED fogs...HEMI..

Painted Stock Wheels Club #5
#3 Old 12-20-2010, 08:27 PM
MonsoonMike
Moderator Mike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Was gonna say the vent tube is blocked some how?

::2014 Ram 2500 CTD Crew Cab Granite Crystal Metallic::

#4 Old 12-20-2010, 08:37 PM
jason13

(Thread Starter)
Do you guys know if this is the tube that goes back up to the filler kneck? It looks like that vent could come off, but then i am unsure if I should shoot some air in there with the compressor or if I risk messing something else up by doing it. Thank you so much for the replies. DT rocks! I will definately post the resolution when I find it.

J.

2006 Ram 2500
6" Suspension Lift
38x13.50x20 Toyos
#5 Old 12-20-2010, 09:29 PM
darkness80

i do believe the vent tube goes to the filler neck....cause if the tank gets to full i know it can go in to the vent...but i think there is a back flo valve so you may not be able to shoot air into it it. id try some small air tubing and try to syphon out the fluid

SOLD...2006 ram lone star, QC 4x4, flame red, painted stock 20's, painted grille,LED fogs...HEMI..

Painted Stock Wheels Club #5
#6 Old 12-20-2010, 09:31 PM
rye

I also believe the tube comes up to the filler neck, and you should be able to spray some compressed air in the tube to clear it out before you try and replace it. Wear safety goggles for this one though.

DODGETALK.COM MODERATOR
─────────────────────────────────────────────
5.9 2003 1500 4x4
─────────────────────────────────────────────

Official Dodgetalk Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/DodgeTalk
Like us! Prize Giveaways, News, and More!!!

#7 Old 12-20-2010, 09:32 PM
99Slobra
Biggin

goggles and close your mouth..lol

Fuel usually ruins the taste of things for awhile..haha

2004 2500 Hemi R/C 4x4 on 35's

K&N CAI
Bilstein 5100's
Black Magic 183
SC 3865
Not loud enough

#8 Old 12-21-2010, 02:13 PM
RTHemi2

I have the same issue. It was bad for a while, seemed to clear itself up for a month or two, and now it is doing it again.

I can get about 1 or 2 gallons going slow and it will kick off. After the tank gets about half full, I can actually go nearly full speed the rest of the way.

2005 Quad Cab 4x4, Big Horn Edition, Flame Red, Swiss Cap
Color Match Bug Shield, 2008 Stock 20's, Mostly Debadged,
Alpine CD, Infinity door speakers, Memphis Audio amp and subs,
Mopar "Ram" floor mats for summer, Weather Tech for winter,
Line-X, Rumble Bee Scoop w/ billet insert, Billet bumper insert,
Wrangler Silent Armor's, Lotsa gas money.
#9 Old 12-21-2010, 02:34 PM
Shots
The Irish brotherhood

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Well FWIW my patrol car (yeah yeah it's a Ford) actually does this if I have the nozzle all the way in. If I put it in all the way, pull it out about .5", then start filling, I can fill at almost full speed. I guess I should tell the service guy but I never really think about it until I'm at the gas station. You may want to try that until you can figure out how to resolve your problem.

Shots:2014 CC Sport

Mods:
2" level / Tint 50 fronts 20 backs

..............................Would you risk your life for $1,000,000?..... A cop does it every day for a lot less.
#10 Old 12-21-2010, 03:16 PM
jerry cole

check for recalls or rrt's at your dealer
#11 Old 12-21-2010, 03:19 PM
weedahoe
Tricked out Ram

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
There is a check valve in the tank. Normally we see guys who are trying to fill their tank and in doing so, right as it gets full it kicks off and fuels flows out the filler hose. From my understanding, you dont replace the check valve. You replace the tank.

2004 2wd Dodge Ram QC w/a 5.7 with Royal Purple 5w-20 in the motor, RP Max ATF in the trans, 80-90w in the 4.56 Auburn LSD rolling on American Racing Dale Earnhart "Tank" 24s wrapped in Pirelli 325/45/24s (36" tires)

| Debadged | SRT-10 hood | Custom CAI | Fumoto oil valve | 12" of lift | Power Wire | 9007 Bi-Xenon 6k | 9006 Single Beam 6K | 2nd battery tray (2K CCA total) | Big 3 upgrade w/1ga wire | Altezza clear tails w/LEDs | Clear LED 3rd light | 26gal to 35gal fuel tank swap | Viair 380c air compressor | train horns | Ceramic pads (F&R) | Westin Nerfs | Chrome door/tailgate handles | Custom switch panel | Custom center console | B&M QuickSilver floor shifer | Xbox 360 | Audiobahn A8000V (1600w sub amp) | Audiobahn 2002V (400w mid/high amp) | 2 12" Kicker DVC CVRs in a FoxBox | 4 Kicker DS650s (front & rears) | 2 Kicker KS350s (dash) | 2 8" LCD screens in the sunvisors | 2 6" LCD screens in the headrest | Clifford 50.7x alarm | 20/15% tint | Diablo Trinity - custom and 93 tuned | Mopar 6.1 ignition conversion | Start ignition push button | KRC 210 cam | 6.1 springs & pushrods | 6.1 half covers | 180* T-stat | Taurus E-fan | Pacesetter ceramic LTs | dual DMH cutouts | (2) 4x14" round magnaflows | 4x24" tips | X pipe | Jimmy Jammers | Ported (85mm) TB | Innovate LC-1 wideband | Sonnax transmission pressure booster | Mopar slush mats | RBP grill | powder coated calipers | custom rim/grill lights |

Link to my gallery

Next projects:

- Custom center console
- B&M Quicksilver Floor shifter
- Custom CAI
#12 Old 12-21-2010, 03:58 PM
Rocky31186

Correct, if its the check valve (we see it on 90's toyotas all the time now) You have to replace the tank...

Sounds to me like its the vent hose.. No evap engine lights?

2006 Jeep GCSRT8 6.1L AWD

BT Catch Can - FRI LilBoy Cam - Magnaflow Exhaust - Vortech V-3 Blower - Johan Tuned - Stage I Injectors - Aero340 Fuel Pump - Eibach Lowering Kit - Boost/AirFuel/Fuel Pressure Gauges.

#13 Old 12-21-2010, 04:15 PM
NHHEMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTHemi2 View Post
I have the same issue. It was bad for a while, seemed to clear itself up for a month or two, and now it is doing it again.

I can get about 1 or 2 gallons going slow and it will kick off. After the tank gets about half full, I can actually go nearly full speed the rest of the way.
Same issue here. It comes and goes. It just did it to me earlier today. It is worse when it is under 1/2 tank. If I top off at 1/2 tank + or once I hit 1/2 tank while filling it seems to go ok. Before that it clicks off every few seconds and is a royal PITA!

2011 Jeep Patriot
"Latitude"
4WD 2.4L
Royal Purple #1
#14 Old 12-21-2010, 07:31 PM
jason13

(Thread Starter)
Well i am glad to see I am not alone on this. I have no check engine lights on or any issues with the way the truck runs. Just can gas 'er up! LOL

Maybe with the gas prices here in Cali this is a good thing?

I am going to pull the vent tubing off this weekend provided we get some dry weather. I thought about just taking off one end and blowing (please hold the comments). I figured this may not be the best option if there is something in there as it could end up in the tank or some other place that the "clog" could end up. I will post as to my findings after the job. Sounds like a few folks could use a solution to this.

J.

2006 Ram 2500
6" Suspension Lift
38x13.50x20 Toyos
#15 Old 12-21-2010, 07:39 PM
Marx

just put the nozzle in halfway and it should fill up, mine also does this if the pumps are fast flowing

remember its the pump that turns off the gas not your truck

05' 5.7L HEMI 1500, leveled, 35x12.50R18 Nitto Trail Grappler's on CR Black Iron Villian's, Blistein 5100's, K&N drop-in air filter, Magnaflow exhaust, Blue LED dash.
#16 Old 12-21-2010, 07:43 PM
jason13

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the "tip". LOL

All joking aside... I tried pulling it half way out, I treid holding the little ribbed cover on the nozzle back sort of like you would if you were filling a 2 gallon plastic gas can. To my surprise the damn pump still kicked off. I evern tried different gas stations... Nothing. At this point just so I can get around, I think I am going to fill my 5 gallon cans and then fill it with the can rather than the pump. Like I said above, I will post the resolution as soon as I find it.

I am greatly aprriciative of the responses so far. Thanks for all who have contributed to this annoying problem of mine. I just finished reading the post from a guy with his piston through the wall of his Hemi.... Makes this isssue seem a little minor. I wish him the best of luck.

J.

2006 Ram 2500
6" Suspension Lift
38x13.50x20 Toyos
#17 Old 12-21-2010, 08:27 PM
Will225

Have you tried sticking a screw driver down the fill line to see if anything is clogging it?

And while you have the screw driver down there (holding the flip thing open) go ahead and start the truck. This should unclog it by the rush of air.

2012 5.7L Hemi 4x4 CC Deep Blue Pearl
GOD Squad: 1981 - Eternity!
Military Club Member #74

#18 Old 12-21-2010, 09:01 PM
RamLion
Victims arent we all

if you want to make your gas pumping faster prior to your getn the tank fixed...just fill up a 5gallon jug or a ten gall jug and pour it into tank..would seem a little faster....

4/6.5 inch mcgauphys/belltech combo,springs and spindle..
#19 Old 12-21-2010, 09:04 PM
TwinStick

I had this happen once on my 2000 Dakota. Turns out someone was siphoning gas out, must have almost got caught & the hose they were using was still in the gas fill tube, just went down in & was enough to not allow full flow from pump into tank. I removed the hose from the gas cap area (from behind), removed hose & no more problems.

08' PowerWagon w/6-speed manual G-56. 05' 30' toyhauler camper.(10,500lbs)
Hellwig LoadPro 35 bolt on 4 leaf helper springs.
No honey, I'm NOT done buying shit for the truck yet !!!
PurpleCrainium Diff Guards
K&N air filter --- WeatherGuard 20" black bed toolbox.
winch TPC bypass
Dual battery set up w/2 Sears DieHard Platinums-Gp 65 under hood-Gp 31 Marine deep cycle in bed toolbox w/plug-n-play set up. Custom 2000/4000w inverter set up w/quick connect. Triple bike mounts above the bed- custom made by me.
Crapload of recovery gear-always subject to adding more.
Fab Four rear bumper. Soon to be- a BuckStop Baja front bumper.--Temporarily on hold, see reason below.
Installed: Borgeson #000951 steering shaft. PSC steering brace(notched for PW by Rusty-thanks bud). Carli HD CroMo adjustable track bar. Carli CroMo control arms. Carli HD upper & lower balljoints x 2 sets (replaced under warrenty) & triple sealed u-joints in front axle shafts & rear driveshaft. Moog HD tierod ends x 4. Running total is now $4800. Yup, now i'm broke !!!

What, you ask, is the difference between a Dodge Ram and a PowerWagon ?? PW frame part # 55398868AC---Reg 2500 #55398813AC
About 2" taller, 12,000lb winch w/mounting brace between framerails,electronic disconnecting swaybar(for awsome articulation),electronic locking axles front & rear(for true 4-wheel drive),tow pkg, fully skidplated,forged one piece Alcoa rims w/internal beadlock lips,larger diameter(one ton) axleshaft in rear,160 amp alt,HD battery,4.56 gears,low range electronic recalibration of gas pedal sensitivity,more but thinner leafs in rear spring pack(for better articulation), 33" BFG All-Terrain tires. 78.016:1 crawl ratio. All for $6100.00 more! Oh yeah, almost forgot-Bilstein shocks. Gear ratios: 1st 6.29:1 2nd 3.48:1 3rd 2.10:1 4th 1.38:1 5th 1.0:1 6th .79:1.. Rev 5.74:1.
#20 Old 12-22-2010, 05:33 AM
weedahoe
Tricked out Ram

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Maybe try fueling up slower instead of letting the pump run wide open to fill the tank faster

2004 2wd Dodge Ram QC w/a 5.7 with Royal Purple 5w-20 in the motor, RP Max ATF in the trans, 80-90w in the 4.56 Auburn LSD rolling on American Racing Dale Earnhart "Tank" 24s wrapped in Pirelli 325/45/24s (36" tires)

| Debadged | SRT-10 hood | Custom CAI | Fumoto oil valve | 12" of lift | Power Wire | 9007 Bi-Xenon 6k | 9006 Single Beam 6K | 2nd battery tray (2K CCA total) | Big 3 upgrade w/1ga wire | Altezza clear tails w/LEDs | Clear LED 3rd light | 26gal to 35gal fuel tank swap | Viair 380c air compressor | train horns | Ceramic pads (F&R) | Westin Nerfs | Chrome door/tailgate handles | Custom switch panel | Custom center console | B&M QuickSilver floor shifer | Xbox 360 | Audiobahn A8000V (1600w sub amp) | Audiobahn 2002V (400w mid/high amp) | 2 12" Kicker DVC CVRs in a FoxBox | 4 Kicker DS650s (front & rears) | 2 Kicker KS350s (dash) | 2 8" LCD screens in the sunvisors | 2 6" LCD screens in the headrest | Clifford 50.7x alarm | 20/15% tint | Diablo Trinity - custom and 93 tuned | Mopar 6.1 ignition conversion | Start ignition push button | KRC 210 cam | 6.1 springs & pushrods | 6.1 half covers | 180* T-stat | Taurus E-fan | Pacesetter ceramic LTs | dual DMH cutouts | (2) 4x14" round magnaflows | 4x24" tips | X pipe | Jimmy Jammers | Ported (85mm) TB | Innovate LC-1 wideband | Sonnax transmission pressure booster | Mopar slush mats | RBP grill | powder coated calipers | custom rim/grill lights |

Link to my gallery

Next projects:

- Custom center console
- B&M Quicksilver Floor shifter
- Custom CAI
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.